• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should English be renamed American?

the English don't have the same type of class as Americans

which is good, fewer school kids murder death killed is always a positive

It's always a sad affair when school kids are murder death killed. So excessive.

In the UK, they are of such higher class because they limit murdering kids to a far more pleasant stabbing and acid splashing.

Prison Mike

Banned
This is a proper biscuit.

CeJtyMW.jpg

These are chips.

oWCU0k3.jpg

This is the toothbrush. More rare in Britain than the Loch Ness Monster.

zk6B21j.jpg
bbc three allan mustafa GIF by BBC

you can go and take a fuck to yourself.

how's that for english?

i'm not english by nationality. i'm scottish but no fucking way are yous taking our language. yous speak AMERICAN ENGLISH. you want english to speak American? fuck off! you want us Scots to speak Scots American? GET TAE FUCK! not often i'll defend england but you've touched a nerve ya wee shite. you fucking americans are too uppity for your own good. you're nothing but a young country that wouldn't exist if it weren't for the english, scots, irish, and welsh. you'll speak english and you'll like it you ungrateful cunts. i swear if i come over there and one of you call me english you're getting lamped this time. nae more of your pish. that's it.

tenor.gif

Scotland is nothing to us but a place where a couple good movies were made about. If you ask 100 Americans if they give a fook about Scotland, 99 will say no and the last one will say something in some broken ass stolen english like what you just posted.

the best GIF by Music Choice

So Country sausage gravy is shite but blood pudding and haggis are delicacies.

3uLfY6S.gif

A lot of foods are "crispy." Do you see where the logic is a bit flawed?

Lol, most people find haggis and black pudding disgusting. You won't find many Brits eating either of those and they're certainly not delicacies.

Last edited:

Keihart

Calling EU English the real one it's like calling the European Spanish the real one. They have distorted the language as much if not more than the colonies with all their neighbors influence and at this point the colonies have bigger representation of it. At least in Spanish there is word for it, in Spain you use Español and in the rest of the world it's Castellano.

For me EU Spanish and English sound equally fucked up and funny.
Oi mate, how bout a pint in the pub with the lads and the guvnor?

I see what you're trying to do by having something that Americans find tasty as opposed to haggis and black pudding which most people find disgusting. You won't find many Brits people eating either of those and they're certainly not delicacies.

Black/Blood Pudding is part of a full English breakfast which last I checked was a pretty popular breakfast in the UK. I do have to give you a star for participating in the thread. Put it up on the fridge to show mum you are truly special.

Last edited:
Black/Blood Pudding is part of a full English breakfast which last I checked was a pretty popular breakfast in the UK.

Majority of people won't have the black pudding with it, because it's vile. Why ruin a perfectly good hearty breakfast with that nastiness? Blame the Scots for that one, they like awful flavours and an awful diet, they fry bars of chocolate for Christ's sake.

Correct.

The original English dialect stayed in America while those monarch fellating fogbreathers derhoticised the language during the industrial revolution and fooled people into thinking talking like an autist is classy.

Also let it be know that it was the English that came up with the term "Soccer."

Majority of people won't have the black pudding with it, because it's vile. Why ruin a perfectly good hearty breakfast with that nastiness? Blame the Scots for that one, they like awful flavours and an awful diet, they fry bars of chocolate for Christ's sake.

You say the majority decline the pudding and I still have to remind you that you have Baked Beans in that same breakfast too! Let's not forget about that culinary wizzardry.

Reminds me of a scene from Trainspotting.

raTWWPP.jpg

Yummy! Just missing a few spuds.

Last edited:

Eighthours

I was just thinking about this the other day as I was binge watching through Netflix. The English language is now essentially a language that is being directed and repurposed by the people of the United States, who are much more numerous and influential than our English cousins.

So I think at this point in time it would probably be better if the language was renamed American or North American to signify the difference in our modern day parlance and how it is the United States that represents the language the most.

What do you think?

P.S I don't want no hate from English people before you all get mad and spill your tea cups all over the floor. It is nothing personal it's just your country is very much an irrelevance on the world stage and language evolves.
Any country that thinks ‘I could care less’ is OK really shouldn’t think about being in charge of the direction of language.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Oi mate, how bout a pint in the pub with the lads and the guvnor?
You won't hear anyone talking like that outside of London. The same way people use, i say old chap when they try to put on an English accent. Nobody ever talks like that anymore that was more popular around the 1940's.

If the USA want to claim ownership of the language then they need to know how to use it inside & out that means you need to understand all forms of slang & corruption, regional accents & everything. I can understand any regional accent in English from the states but i doubt most Americans could do the same with the UK hell if someone isn't talking BBC English then they are easily lost.

royox

I was just thinking about this the other day as I was binge watching through Netflix. The English language is now essentially a language that is being directed and repurposed by the people of the United States, who are much more numerous and influential than our English cousins.

So I think at this point in time it would probably be better if the language was renamed American or North American to signify the difference in our modern day parlance and how it is the United States that represents the language the most.

What do you think?

P.S I don't want no hate from English people before you all get mad and spill your tea cups all over the floor. It is nothing personal it's just your country is very much an irrelevance on the world stage and language evolves.

Using this logic is Spanish the one that should be called American as is the most spoken language in America.

But as a Spaniar we will keep calling it corrupted spanish <3

Garibaldi

What's with that passive aggressive bullshit slight against us Brits at the end there OP? If you're gonna insult someone do it properly you wimpy tart. This whole stereotype that us brits and all tea loving toffs speaking in Queen's English need to die already anyway. We all love a nice cuppa, but no more than American's love their shitty soda. Up in the dirty (but secretly best) North we speak nowt like that.

To answer the question...no, it shouldn't be renamed to American. It's English. Fuck off with that shit. You get your simplified English for your immature brains. Now get back to digging your cowboy buddies out of the snow. I'm off for a Hobnob and a Yorkshire Gold.

While were at it can we rename England to "America's Pal".

America's pet hamster more like.

We think they are cute and sometimes we like to pat them on the head and give them a little bit of attention, but most of the time we get on with the serious business of running the world while they shit on the floor and run up and down on a hamster wheel.

What's with that passive aggressive bullshit slight against us Brits at the end there OP? If you're gonna insult someone do it properly you wimpy tart. This whole stereotype that us brits and all tea loving toffs speaking in Queen's English need to die already anyway. We all love a nice cuppa, but no more than American's love their shitty soda. Up in the dirty (but secretly best) North we speak nowt like that.

To answer the question...no, it shouldn't be renamed to American. It's English. Fuck off with that shit. You get your simplified English for your immature brains. Now get back to digging your cowboy buddies out of the snow. I'm off for a Hobnob and a Yorkshire Gold.

Listen bud, I have been nothing but respectful to the people of England in this topic, but all I have received in return is vitriol of the highest order. I even had a Scotsman with a Pikachu avatar threaten to throw a Poke ball at my face if he ever saw me in America. Now I'm too scared to even leave my Mom's caravan during the day.

I just fail to see how we can't all be civil here in this discussion about taking away the naming of your language for ourselves.

Peggies

Gold Member
Listen bud, I have been nothing but respectful to the people of England in this topic, but all I have received in return is vitriol of the highest order. I even had a Scotsman with a Pikachu avatar threaten to throw a Poke ball at my face if he ever saw me in America. Now I'm too scared to even leave my Mom's caravan during the day.

I just fail to see how we can't all be civil here in this discussion about taking away the naming of your language for ourselves.
Great thread 👏. Splendid!

dr_octagon

Banned
the US is obsessed with teeth and unfortunately they got it mixed up with foreign policy and decided to drone strike twice a day for best results.

Plus
I know what a biscuit is ya cunt, it's that shit they put bacon egg and cheese in between at McDonalds.

Let's not forget these are the same "special children" that use the term biscuits and cookies depending on how soft a cookie is and can it be properly dipped in tea.

5. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
7. Cookies and Cream

Where are the tea and biscuit flavored Ice Creams? Coffee is on the list. It has to be tough being Americas cuckold.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
English is the top spoken language in any given country today. With that being said, calling it American...go for it. The thing is (as GAMETA GAMETA ) pointed out - it's widely spoken in all of the America's. North America is Canada, United States, and Mexico. Then there's Central America (to be honest, they're not on top with English) but South America has many countries that also have English as a second language. Mexico (from everywhere I've been) is getting pretty fluent and has had ESL from pre-K - University for over 25-years now. United States and Canadian English (depending on the territory) should be referred to as a form of colloquial English nowadays. I'm U.S. American and went through the dreaded English courses in the United States and even my college professors couldn't pronounce some basic English words correctly.
Call your new language 'Murican and people will get it and that way we can continue to pronounced the following words incorrectly:

Especially - commonly mispronounced as "Eck-specially" (same with the Latin Et Cetera being pronounced as "Eck-cetera")
Espresso - Maybe not English by origin but widely used and mispronounced as "Expresso."
Prerogative - Most U.S. Americans say "Puragutive"
Ask vs. Axe - One is this start of a question and the other is a tool. It doesn't matter that some modern dictionaries tried adapting this into the word "Ask." If you're pronouncing it as "Axe," it's not being "American" it's just bad pronunciation.

There's also confusing words that sound alike into something else in U.S. American English like "cavalry" being called "Calvary" or "disoriented" for "disorientated." As a former ESL teacher who was born in the U.S., I was unfortunately unable to teach my students American U.S. English due to common grammar contruct and syntax errors.

I guess that 'Murican could be a language in the same way other crypto languages exist with English as their roots such as -- Klingon, Dovahzul, et cetera (eck-cetera).

Top Bottom