• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should English be renamed American?

Atrus

Gold Member
We don't need to rename English to American any more than we need to rename Spanish to American a hundred years from now.

I’ll fully support English being renamed American, if every 305 million American citizens plus the 30 million undocumented illegals suck my english dick first.

If we can find it.

LLE1UzH.jpg

lQaz2Em.gif

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
All have to say is,

Broiling = Very high heat in an oven.

Grilling = What we do outside with charcoal.

What does it mean when you say: "She was all sixes and sevens." ?

Spaceman292

Banned
I was just thinking about this the other day as I was binge watching through Netflix. The English language is now essentially a language that is being directed and repurposed by the people of the United States, who are much more numerous and influential than our English cousins.

So I think at this point in time it would probably be better if the language was renamed American or North American to signify the difference in our modern day parlance and how it is the United States that represents the language the most.

What do you think?

P.S I don't want no hate from English people before you all get mad and spill your tea cups all over the floor. It is nothing personal it's just your country is very much an irrelevance on the world stage and language evolves.
America barely even has electricity and half of it is constantly on fire.

They said the same thing about the French language in Canada. Look how that turned out.

Bilingual Packaging Requirements. Plus Poutine was invented In Quebec, obviously as a ploy to increase the obesity/heart disease of Canadians. Unlike Red Wine, Canadian Beer and Maple Syrup do not pair well with the high fat French diet. France is not known for winning wars so they appear to be taking the slow and steady wins the race approach.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
you can go and take a fuck to yourself.

how's that for english?

i'm not english by nationality. i'm scottish but no fucking way are yous taking our language. yous speak AMERICAN ENGLISH. you want english to speak American? fuck off! you want us Scots to speak Scots American? GET TAE FUCK! not often i'll defend england but you've touched a nerve ya wee shite. you fucking americans are too uppity for your own good. you're nothing but a young country that wouldn't exist if it weren't for the english, scots, irish, and welsh. you'll speak english and you'll like it you ungrateful cunts. i swear if i come over there and one of you call me english you're getting lamped this time. nae more of your pish. that's it.

Last edited:

Gentlemen. No need to fight.

Americans, you got your country, let the English have this one.

Englishmen, I recommend a strongly worded letter insisting such a terrible suggestion is never uttered again. Double patronising with an unnecessarily long sign off.

Last edited:

how's that for english?

i'm not english by nationality. i'm scottish but no fucking way are yous taking our language. yous speak AMERICAN ENGLISH. you want english to speak American? fuck off! you want us Scots to speak Scots American? GET TAE FUCK! not often i'll defend england but you've touched a nerve ya wee shite. you fucking americans are too uppity for your own good. you're nothing but a young country that wouldn't exist if it weren't for the english, scots, irish, and welsh. you'll speak english and you'll like it you ungrateful cunts. i swear if i come over there and one of you call me english you're getting lamped this time. nae more of your pish. that's it.

How are you gonna hit us when you have a pikachu amiibo in one hand and a poke ball controller in the other sport?

Just make sure to put your Nintendo Switch in a safe space before you start swinging that's all I'm saying

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
How are you gonna hit us when you have a pikachu amiibo in one hand and a poke ball controller in the other sport?

Just make sure to put your Nintendo Switch in a safe space before you start swinging that's all I'm saying
don't have a nintendo switch idiot.

but i'll buy one just to skelp a joy con right off your thick skull

Last edited:
I mean to me it's that telling that the most vociferous defender of the 'English' language is a Scotsman with an anger management problem.

I really feel you like you don't really care all that much if we change it to North American so maybe we should just go ahead and get it sorted.

If you want we could call your language old new English or something just so you could continue to talk in the strange way that you folks on the Island do.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I mean to me it's that telling that the most vociferous defender of the 'English' language is a Scotsman with an anger management problem.

I really feel you like you don't really care all that much if we change it to North American so maybe we should just go ahead and get it sorted.

If you want we could call your language old new English or something just so you could continue to talk in the strange way that you folks on the Island do.
fuck off arse bandit.

Only if you call it 'MURICAN

North American, 'Murican, Freedonian, Democracian, anything like that really.

The important thing is that as Americans it is our duty to dictate the morals and principles of the world's population and the lingua franca should be the focal point of that message.

dr_octagon

Banned
the English don't have the same type of class as Americans

which is good, fewer school kids murder death killed is always a positive

Last edited:

Loki

Count of Concision
P.S I don't want no hate from English people before you all get mad and spill your tea cups all over the floor. It is nothing personal it's just your country is very much an irrelevance on the world stage and language evolves.

Not inflammatory at all...:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't give a shit about England but no it should always remain called English.

When we get universal translators in a hundred years we can call it Universal Basic.

BigBooper

I can appreciate the sentiment, but it was probably mostly the English Empire's doing that everyone speaks English. Let them have the name.

I can appreciate the sentiment, but it was probably mostly the English Empire's doing that everyone speaks English. Let them have the name.

Yeah but it's not their language anymore though is it? The English language is mostly shaped by the African American element of our population and in no way resembles the way that it once was. Plus they speak more like our way in Englang anyway.

BigBooper

Yeah but it's not their language anymore though is it? The English language is mostly shaped by the African American element of our population and in no way resembles the way that it once was. Plus they speak more like our way in Englang anyway.
U wat mate?

how's that for english?

Top Bottom