• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I buy an airsoft Gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chony

I have been playing with spring airsoft guns for a while now, and have had a lot of fun, but I really want to get in the bigger stuff. My order, if I choose to go through with it, includes:
Tokyo Marui MP5SD5
Large Battery + Charger
.20 gram, 1,700 count, 6mm BB's Biodegradable White BBs
2nd day air

This comes to just under $300

I am wondering if this is worth it?

Anyone play airsoft here?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'd advise against it. A friend of mine got into it and has a couple thousand dollars in guns.

He's got a problem, and it's all airsoft's fault. :p

edit: They aren't bb's, they are light rubber pellets. Don't much hurt (Don't exactly feel good, but they don't hurt)

Chony

They are plastic BBs, they dont hurt too bad, like a really powerful rubber band at worst. I play with my friends in a forest near my home, using biodegradable bbs.

way more

Nah, my brother bought one at the beginning of summer and doesn't even use it now and I don't feel like borrowing it.

Airsoft is great fun, but definitely not cheap :) I own a Tokyo Marui P90 myself, and used to play with friends when I lived in Japan.

fnp90.jpg

I had a Desert Eagle as well (the 3,000y electric one, not the 15,000y gas powered one), but left it behind when I came back to America. I wish I had an opportunity to play again, but because I am so busy, nowadays it is basically a $250 decoration. If you've got the cash to burn, and can play enough to get your money's worth, go for it.

Archaix, they are in fact called BBs; airsoft guns typically fire 6mm plastic BBs, and you can get them in different weights (lighter ones are faster, heavier ones more accurate).

How much they hurt really depends on your weapon. The weakest are probably battery-powered (ie. AAA) handguns, which won't be felt at even a modest distance, but can still break the skin at close range. More powerful are battery-powered sub machineguns and air cocking handguns and rifles (where you manually pull the slide for each shot). These can sting a bit. My P90 will do a number on fruit and go clean through cardboard boxes. Gas guns are the strongest, and can do some serious damage. I had the chance to play with a gas-powered AUG, and it shredded whatever I put in front of it. Nobody wanted to be on the receiving end of that gun :) However, even this will still pale in comparison to the pain a paintball gun can dish out, and if you use cheap handguns or wear thick clothing there will be times that you won't even notice getting hit.

Also, Chony, I hear that biodegradable BBs aren't as strong as plastic ones and break easily; maybe that is why they don't seem to hurt very much?

You should talk with my cousin, he actually imports AirSoft guns from Asia, and is starting up a tactical training facility for law enforcement (as well as the public).

A tactical training facility available to the public? Where at? Sounds interesting.

Oh, Chony, if power and range are important, you may want a gun without a supressor. The inside of the supressor on the MP5SD5 (and most other guns) is made of foam and it takes a lot of the velocity out of BBs. I don't know how well it actually reduces noise, but I can look that up if you want. I have some old issues of ARMS magazine, and one of them shows you how to make your own supressor from scratch, so they might talk about it there. Of course, if you are only interested in looks, ignore all of this :)

AssMan

Banned
We used to have BB gun wars in middle school, and one of my friends got hit right in the temple and the BB is lodged in his head. lol.

BugCatcher said:
A tactical training facility available to the public? Where at? Sounds interesting.

Northwest Tactical is located in Kent, WA (just south of Seattle). He's a former sniper for the Army, and along with some buddies have been trying to get this up and running for a couple of years now. They're primarily going to be working with local police and military forces, but they're willing to allow groups (company team building, etc) the opportunity to come in and use the facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom