• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I buy Lost Planet or Resistance?

jjasper

rs7k said:
What's the wedge? I posted my PSN tag a while ago, and some guy added me and it says Fear the wedge.

On this note, I should really get around playing Resistance in MP. I haven't even tried it yet.

You should join us we have a lot of fun. The wedge is basically what we call our swarm of people that move together and kill everything in team deathmatch.

rs7k

my PSN tag is GAFrs7k

Not terribly original mind you, but it works.

Btw, is it possible to change your PSN tag?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
rs7k said:
my PSN tag is GAFrs7k

Not terribly original mind you, but it works.

Btw, is it possible to change your PSN tag?

It's possible to create as many new PSN accounts as you like...I think you can also change your PSN account display name, even if you can't change your actual account name.

J-Rzez

Fatghost said:
I've been thinking about this hard.

I bought this stupid 50 dollar VISA gift card to get Tekken 5 DR...which has been out for PSN in Asia for what, like a month already?

It cost 57 bucks to get this thing because of the extra fees involved.

If Sony would get off their ass and get this ****ing thing out, I wouldn't have had to go to the trouble. Since Sony's going out of their way to region lock this PSN thing so we can't get a decent game, I think I'm going to buy Lost Planet...Sony lost my business this transaction. :)

By the time T5DR hits US PSN, VF5 will be out and I won't give a shit.

I'll keep my rented copy of Resistance for a few more weeks until VF5 hits. :)

So... you're going to take it out on Sony? Something like this? Come on... I'm happy I can import whatever game I want from JP and play it, like, for example, Motorstorm... And flawed, but nearly full BC... Sony's giving a lot here, just because one DL you'll take it out on them? Hah...

In all honesty... LP is a short game... very short... Outside of Oblivion, it's hard to get a game on the 360 that has a decent length to it... I Gamefly just about every game for the 360 now because of this... "I" don't feel like I'm getting "my" money's worth...

Resistance on the other hand has a long SP, worth playing through another time for the unlocked weapons, and getting the skill points... and the MP so far to me has infinite value... it's MP replay value to me is that of H2 and Socom, and I spent many of hours on those two games... It's the complete package, not an extended demo... Rent LP instead, because there's at least replay value to Resistance...

Just MHO...

Okay if you want to play the voting game:

1 million votes (AKA # sold at launch) = Lost Planet
268,000 votes (AKA # sold at launch) = Resistance

Lost Planet by a landslide!!! LPFTMFW!

Kittonwy if you like FPS games you really got to pick up Gears of War. 3 million people can't be wrong. I'm serious man. If you like Resistance you will be blown away by Gears of War, the two things go hand in hand.

Resistance is by all means worth getting, but I have a feeling it will hit the bargain bin by this summer, with other PS3 games starting to take the limelight and Sony still needing a strong first party attach game.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
CountZeroInt said:

Kittonwy if you like FPS games you really got to pick up Gears of War. 3 million people can't be wrong. I'm serious man. If you like Resistance you will be blown away by Gears of War, the two things go hand in hand.

Resistance is by all means worth getting, but I have a feeling it will hit the bargain bin by this summer, with other PS3 games starting to take the limelight and Sony still needing a strong first party attach game.

I guess Happy Feet is excellent then. Worst post I have ever read on GAF what is the world coming to.

Azrael

I haven't played enough of Lost Planet yet to make a final judgment, but so far I've enjoyed the single player at least less than Resistance. The AI in Lost Planet is really, really dumb.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
CountZeroInt said:

WTF. I mean really.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
J-Rzez said:
So... you're going to take it out on Sony? Something like this? Come on... I'm happy I can import whatever game I want from JP and play it, like, for example, Motorstorm... And flawed, but nearly full BC... Sony's giving a lot here, just because one DL you'll take it out on them? Hah...

In all honesty... LP is a short game... very short... Outside of Oblivion, it's hard to get a game on the 360 that has a decent length to it... I Gamefly just about every game for the 360 now because of this... "I" don't feel like I'm getting "my" money's worth...

Resistance on the other hand has a long SP, worth playing through another time for the unlocked weapons, and getting the skill points... and the MP so far to me has infinite value... it's MP replay value to me is that of H2 and Socom, and I spent many of hours on those two games... It's the complete package, not an extended demo... Rent LP instead, because there's at least replay value to Resistance...

Just MHO...

Sony going out of their way to lock down the HK PSN store so we can't get Tekken pissed me off. It's one thing to not release it, it's another to aggressively close down the loopholes people are finding....and at least not making it public when they do so! They could have saved me the time and trouble of buying this stupid gift card if they put an announcement out on PSN that they've made the work around not work.

Wankers. :)

Kittonwy

Banned
CountZeroInt said:

I own Gears and have already completed it on hardcore difficulty, I don't know why you would assume I would simply be "blown away" by it though, I thought it had great visuals, it was a polished game which I enjoyed, but I wasn't blown away by it gameplay-wise, I didn't like it as much as I did Halo 1/2, Resistance however I am enjoying it as much as I did Halo 1/2. I played the Lost Planet single player demo yesterday but I didn't like it very much.
Indifferent2.gif

J-Rzez

Fatghost said:
Sony going out of their way to lock down the HK PSN store so we can't get Tekken pissed me off. It's one thing to not release it, it's another to aggressively close down the loopholes people are finding....and at least not making it public when they do so! They could have saved me the time and trouble of buying this stupid gift card if they put an announcement out on PSN that they've made the work around not work.

Hehe... well, they give a lot more room to play as far as imports and such than the competition... sometimes when you give a yard, people will fight tirelessly for that extra mm... :)

For some reason, they didn't want that content here yet, so that's why they're doing it... maybe to try and eek out a lil' more PSP game sales, some contract with Namco, or perhaps it's to be released in an onslaught of stuff at once... who knows... I really want RE:DC, but I'm not going to buy another sides product for spite because I can't get it in English... Eh, but what can you do right? I'm just really happy about the other region free capability to care to complain about a PSN download right now (as fun as that Tekken is)...

So, you're just frustrated in the manner of like when a teen obtains a fake ID to get served at a bar, just to find out you need "2" forms now? hehe, You'll get over it... I think :)

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
I haven't played Resistance, but you need to get yourself some Lost Planet at some point. Although some people inexplicably don't love it, there are so many holy-crap-I-can't-believe-wahts-happening-because-it's-the-awesomest-baddest-assest-****ing-thing-I-ever saw moments in the game. Despite some niggling shortcomings, there is so much goodness to be had. I would be sad if someone took the game away from me.

Fatghost said:

Yeah. Damn Sony. How dare they stop people from creating accounts using phony information like falsified street addresses! (Never mind that doing so is probably against the law in Hong Kong, and the Chinese government is not something to be trifled with...)

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Seriously, it was fun while it lasted, but no one in their right mind should have expected the Hong Kong Store "loophole" to last.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Pristine_Condition said:
Yeah. Damn Sony. How dare they stop people from creating accounts using phony information like falsified street addresses! (Never mind that doing so is probably against the law in Hong Kong, and the Chinese government is not something to be trifled with...)

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Seriously, it was fun while it lasted, but no one in their right mind should have expected the Hong Kong Store "loophole" to last.

:lol

**** them. They could have put a notice up.

I should add - the gift card thing had nothing to do with fraud. Gift cards are pre-loaded and have no address associated. This is Sony going out of their way to enforce region lock out, not protecting us from the wrath of the Chinese. :lol

Brashnir

Mr. Spinnington said:
Here's a better question:

Ridge%20Racer%207_qjgenth.jpg

or
69870-headerrr6.jpg

They're basically the same game. 7 adds some GT-type elements where you can upgrade your car, and there's some different tracks, but they're pretty much the same once you're actually racing. I slightly prefer 6, due to its simplicity with choosing and starting races, since I don't really care for the car upgrading/manufacturer stuff in 7.

Both feature crappy load times. Both are kind of "meh" in the graphics department. I thought the PS3 version looked better at a glance, but I haven't compared them side-by-side. I've seen some screenshots that show details missing from the PS3 version, but I can't say I noticed it while playing. I liked the visual effect when you use nitrous better in the 360 version. Maybe I'll fire them both up later today before sending 7 back to Gamefly.

If you've played 6 already, I wouldn't bother with 7. Playing it feels a bit like a chore. (then again, after the PSP and 360 games, maybe I'm just Ridge Racered out) If you haven't played either, get the 360 version if you want pick-up-and-play, and get the PS3 one if you want the GT elements.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Brashnir said:
They're basically the same game. 7 adds some GT-type elements where you can upgrade your car, and there's some different tracks, but they're pretty much the same once you're actually racing. I slightly prefer 6, due to its simplicity with choosing and starting races, since I don't really care for the car upgrading/manufacturer stuff in 7.

Both feature crappy load times. Both are kind of "meh" in the graphics department. I thought the PS3 version looked better at a glance, but I haven't compared them side-by-side. I've seen some screenshots that show details missing from the PS3 version, but I can't say I noticed it while playing. I liked the visual effect when you use nitrous better in the 360 version. Maybe I'll fire them both up later today before sending 7 back to Gamefly.

If you've played 6 already, I wouldn't bother with 7. Playing it feels a bit like a chore. (then again, after the PSP and 360 games, maybe I'm just Ridge Racered out) If you haven't played either, get the 360 version if you want pick-up-and-play, and get the PS3 one if you want the GT elements.

Why not download the demos of each? You'll need to register an HK or Japan account on PS3 to get the RR7 demo...but Sony hasn't started to region lock the demos...yet.

Oh, and RR6 can be had for less than 20 bucks new.

Brashnir

Fatghost said:
Why not download the demos of each? You'll need to register an HK or Japan account on PS3 to get the RR7 demo...but Sony hasn't started to region lock the demos...yet.

I guess you could. I don't know how much of the ancillary stuff from the ps3 one would be in the demo though, so I imagine there'd hardly be a lick of difference between the demos.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Brashnir said:
I guess you could. I don't know how much of the ancillary stuff from the ps3 one would be in the demo though, so I imagine there'd hardly be a lick of difference between the demos.

The biggest difference I noticed was more/better textures in the PS3 version, the greater emphasis on drafting (with a drafting meter no less) and an interesting distortion effect while boosting.

RR7 has "more" than RR6. But it's 2.5 times the cost right now for what's probably 1.3 times the content.

RR6 wins for value, RR7 wins for completeness.

Brashnir

Fatghost said:
The biggest difference I noticed was more/better textures in the PS3 version, the greater emphasis on drafting (with a drafting meter no less) and an interesting distortion effect while boosting.

RR7 has "more" than RR6. But it's 2.5 times the cost right now for what's probably 1.3 times the content.

yeah, there's definitely more stuff in 7, but I thought a lot of the new stuff (forgot about the drafting though. good call) actually got in the way of the game, rather than helping it. In a game like RR, the less time I spend at a menu screen the better, as far as I'm concerned.

edit - BTW are you the same Fatghost that used to post on OT.net back in the day?

Fatghost said:

I'd vote in favour of RR6. Custom soundtracks + Xbox Live FTW

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Brashnir said:
yeah, there's definitely more stuff in 7, but I thought a lot of the new stuff (forgot about the drafting though. good call) actually got in the way of the game, rather than helping it. In a game like RR, the less time I spend at a menu screen the better, as far as I'm concerned.

edit - BTW are you the same Fatghost that used to post on OT.net back in the day?

There has only ever been one Fatghost :)

J-Rzez

Fatghost said:

What's stated above, plus a much better framerate... That alone is a big factor, plus the modding of the cars, and manufacturer points/races makes it have a lil' more lasting appeal and makes it less one dimensional...

I'd shoot with RR7 even if RR6 was $10...

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
J-Rzez said:
What's stated above, plus a much better framerate... That alone is a big factor, plus the modding of the cars, and manufacturer points/races makes it have a lil' more lasting appeal and makes it less one dimensional...

I'd shoot with RR7 even if RR6 was $10...

Wait, what? Maybe I misunderstood, but how does RR7 have a "much better framerate" than RR6's rock-****ing-solid 60?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Ridge Racer is as dull as dish water.

Lost Planet is easily the most fun you'll have without having a naked woman in the same room.

f@luS

More than a member.
Fatghost said:
I got a VISA gift card today to buy Tekken 5 DR for PS3...PSN won't accept the card so I'm stuck with this thing.

Should I spend it on Resistance (which I really like, but I have it as a rental already) or Lost Planet (the demo was awesome)?

People who have spent a lot more time with both...which one is the one to get?

Ur giftcard didnt work? i think u did something wrong with the HK adress, mine worked like a charm on the Asian PSN

edit : BTW , giftcard are **** everytime an order cant get through they charge you 1$ on your card (at least that what i had with my virtual gift card)

VALIS

I'd say about 5 answers in this thread weren't knee-jerk fanboy regurgitations, so I'd just buy a pizza and a case of beer now instead and get both these games next year for $20 each.

Fredrik

I haven't played Resistance, but personally I'd choose Lost Planet just because first person shooters usually give me motion sickness if they aren't running at 60fps or more. But Lost Planet is awesome, don't trust the reviewers this time, if you liked the demo you'll love the game. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the best games on the 360 right now.

Jonnyram

SnakeXs said:
Wait, what? Maybe I misunderstood, but how does RR7 have a "much better framerate" than RR6's rock-****ing-solid 60?
They added slowdown to the game, so it's better ;)

Buy Lost Planet. It's an experience you can't find in any other game right now - an awesome combination of third-person shooting and mech action. Plus really stunning music. My wife thought I was watching 24!

Top Bottom