• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I return the 1080ti I bought and just wait for the 1180?

Rbk_3

I paid $1099 CND and would have to eat a 10% restocking fee. With all these rumors of the next gen cards heating up, I feel like I will regret it in the long run if I don't.

Kadayi

Banned
So to return it, it's going to cost you $109?

tenor.gif

Outside of a Titan that's the best GPU going. Card should be good for a long time unless you're playing on some insane setup.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

So to return it, it's going to cost you $109?

tenor.gif

Outside of a Titan that's the best GPU going. Card should be good for a long time unless you're playing on some insane setup.

Plus tax, so it will cost $124

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Keep it, it’ll last you some good time. Who knows what 1180 will cost when it comes out or it’s availability.

Redshirt

Banned
If you really want the 1180, maybe selling it on eBay down the line is an option.

That's what I'd look to do rather than eat a restocking fee.

Kadayi

Banned
Plus tax, so it will cost $124

Ouch.

New cards are probably going to be priced higher regardless. You could bite the bullet and wait and see if it reduces the price on the 1080Ti and you can recoup the loss by reordering but in truth ordering GPUs is like buying cars, as soon as you buy one, you know the price is going to drop 3 months later or something. I bought a 1070Ti about 3 months ago for around £500, now they're around £450 (maybe even less if I could be bothered to look). Part of me is like 'Fuck £50 quid..I should have waited' and another part is 'everything runs like butter'

Rbk_3

Another option, is to eat the restocking fee, and hopefully Nvidia announces the next gen August 20th, then the price will hopefully go down on the TI recouping my restocking fee, and I could buy an EVGA 1080ti and use the step up program.

or I could just enjoy this card

plushyp

Other than rumours, we still don't have much in the way of concrete details. Now the wait game for something better in the technology world is never ending and you might as well keep endlessly waiting for that something which will never come. Or you could enjoy the beast that you have with you and watch it decimate 99% of the games currently released.

DryvBy

Literally the worst time to buy it. Will go down in price a lot when 11 series launches.

My cousin just bought a 1080. I have no clue why since he doesn't play anything besides some anime clicker and World of Warcraft. Waste of money, but at least it ain't my money.

Is it an EVGA? They have an upgrade program if I remember correctly. I haven’t owned an EVGA in many year as I have switched to Asus ROG. But it may be an option.

n0razi

I can't imagine the 1180 will be a massive upgrade over a 1080ti

Estimates have the 1170 at slightly above 1080 and the 1180 another step above so it should be right at around 1080ti level

Barakov

No you fool. Keep the 1080ti. That thing will last you a good while. By the time 1080ti is long in the tooth something far better than the 1180 will be out.

Boss Mog

I can't imagine the 1180 will be a massive upgrade over a 1080ti

Estimates have the 1170 at slightly above 1080 and the 1180 another step above so it should be right at around 1080ti level

The 1180 will probably be a 20% increase over the 1080 Ti which is significant if you game in 4K as it should give you enough power to hit at least 60fps at very high settings on everything.
The 1170 will probably be slightly better than the 1080 Ti. That's how it's been. The 1070 was slightly better than the 980 Ti, the 970 was slightly better than the 780 Ti, etc...

Last edited:
Surprised you bought a 1080ti, those are hella expensive in Norway. I just bought a gtx 1070 after my GTX 780 died and I got it at a ridiculously low price and I was satisfied with that. I'm looking for a bigger jump before I invest in something bigger. Then again I'm only gaming at 1080p and I'm satisfied with that and being able to play most games at high configurations.

That said, I doubt it would be worth it to return it, so keep it.

Rbk_3

Is it an EVGA? They have an upgrade program if I remember correctly. I haven’t owned an EVGA in many year as I have switched to Asus ROG. But it may be an option.
Yes it is, but the new cards would have to be available in the Step up Program by Sep. 26th. That one leak had it release available on September 28th, which could make sense as it is a Friday and they typically release new cards on Fridays. It would kill me to miss it by 2 days lol.

The 1180 will probably be a 20% increase over the 1080 Ti which is significant if you game in 4K as it should give you enough power to hit at least 60fps at very high settings on everything.
The 1170 will probably be slightly better than the 1080 Ti. That's how it's been. The 1070 was slightly better than the 980 Ti, the 970 was slightly better than the 780 Ti, etc...

I game on a KS8000 4K TV, so my target is maxed 60fps 4K which 1080ti can't do on most AAA titles.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Not that it can't happen but I'd be surprised for a leap that large. No real node shrink this generation, just arch improvements AFAIK. Better off comparing Kepler to Maxwell for estimates IMHO.
~25% gain from 1080Ti to 1180Ti I could believe.

Either way, all the speculation is a crap shoot until the cards are actually in reviewer's hands - time will tell and this post could be far off the mark.
Rumour mill has been working overtime for several months now. Definite hunger for new cards, but that doesn't dictate supply.

OP - probably wasn't the best time to buy high end, but the deed is done there. Fingers crossed for mid September for you on EVGA Step Up. I don't know whether they'll make an exception if you're a day or two off? They do have a good rep for customer service.
Can you live with cutting back some settings to get your 4k60 target? Some Ultra settings are a big hit for very little extra eye candy. Only other thing I'd worry about is how much of a big deal the ray tracing is going to be. 1080Ti is still a beast otherwise.

Leonidas

Seems to be only 3 options.

1. return the card and lose $125.
2. Hope for mid-September launch w/ EVGA step up, but shipping costs to Canada seem to be around $60 and in the end 1080 Ti plus step up will end up cost more than the next-generation x80 by itself.
3. Enjoy the card now while it's still the best card, but potentially have a strong case of buyer's remorse once the next-generation cards are officially announced seeing 1080 Ti performance at hundreds less.

Seems like bad options all around to me, not sure what I'd do.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

Seems to be only 3 options.

1. return the card and lose $125.
2. Hope for mid-September launch w/ EVGA step up, but shipping costs to Canada seem to be around $60 and in the end 1080 Ti plus step up will end up cost more than the next-generation x80 by itself.
3. Enjoy the card now and see the next-generation x70(which will cost hundreds less) launch soon for hundreds less while performing similarly to the 1080 Ti.

Seems like bad options all around to me, not sure what I'd do.

This post sums it up pretty well. In option 2, add in the cost of shipping it to them as well. Seems option 2 would be more ideal if I had purchased a lower specked card. With the 1080ti I would be essentially paying more for the 1180 than I would otherwise, with out including that extra shipping.

They don't charge tax on the Step up Program, its basically set up like a warranty claim when it goes through customs. So if I had bought a 1060 say, I would only be paying the tax on the $300 or what ever the 1060 costs, then I would have pay the difference in Canadian dollars, say $600 with no tax to go to the 1180. At least that is how I understand it.

What store still does restocking fees, I want to know so I never shop there.
Canada Computers. They then sell it as open box 10% off.

Last edited:

xwez

Banned
Better off comparing Kepler to Maxwell for estimates IMHO.

That's what they said (i.e. "780 Ti to 970"). No way the GTX 1080 Ti to 1180 Ti would only have a 25% bump in performance. How would they sell GTX 1180's, let alone GTX 1180 TI's, if they had <25% bump in performance?

Last edited:

llien

That's a lot of money for a 2 years old GPU.
On the other hand, 1180 is months away and given nVidia's appetites, it's perf/$ won't be that much better than that of 1080Ti, on top of expected shortages.

PhoenixTank

That's what they said (i.e. "780 Ti to 970"). No way the GTX 1080 Ti to 1180 Ti would only have a 25% bump in performance. How would they sell GTX 1180's, let alone GTX 1180 TI's, if they had <25% bump in performance?
I was talking about comparing the jump between generations, like for like. Compare GK110 (780Ti et al.) with GM200 (980Ti) rather than the difference between GM200 & GP102 (1080Ti). Closer to 25-30% mark on the former than 50-60% on the latter. Gains like the latter are rare these days.
As for selling, Nvidia won't need to worry. Thirsty market and basically unchecked market dominance in the high end - market will take what it can get unless there is something very wrong with the cards or they get too greedy.

On the other hand, 1180 is months away and given nVidia's appetites, it's perf/$ won't be that much better than that of 1080Ti, on top of expected shortages.
Inclined to agree here.

Klik

We don't know how its gonna turn out. I believe gtx 1180 is gonna be 20-25% better than gtx 1080ti. Next gen is coming and its time to see midrange cards gtx 1150/gtx 1160 run 4k 60fps on medium settings.

120v

was going to say keep it definitely but if you spent that much... i dunno. guess there is no wrong answer, but the 1080ti should do you fine

also keep in mind availability, unless you luck out chances are you won't even get ahold of an 1180 until a month or three after they drop

MultiCore

With the addition of tensor cores alone, I'd wait for the 1180 if I was in the market for a card today.

Depends on what you want out of the card, but if you have an older card that can get you by for a couple months, preorder an 1180.

It's the best card available today, but if you're interested in tomorrow's games at max settings and high frame rates, return it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Is it justified buying any GPU with the way the market is going with all this crypto currency nonsense?

They need to make a datamining GPU for those guys. Leave the price of the gamers' cards alone.

Rbk_3

Thanks for the advice.

I returned it.

I might grab a 1060 when the cards are announced, hopefully August 20 and use EVGA step up program, that way at least I’ll have a card while I wait in the que and not have to worry about shortages and 3rd party stores jacking up the prices.

Last edited:

llien

We don't know how its gonna turn out. I believe gtx 1180 is gonna be 20-25% better than gtx 1080ti.
I might have missed 1080 being 20-25% faster than AIB (vs stock it surely was, but then, Fury X should be claimed to be competitive) 980Ti. And that was a major process node jump.

Last edited:

Stevey

No, 1080ti will be fine for years.

We're not looking at a 9**-10** jump

Edit: Oh- too late :V

Last edited:

xwez

Banned
I was talking about comparing the jump between generations, like for like. Compare GK110 (780Ti et al.) with GM200 (980Ti) rather than the difference between GM200 & GP102 (1080Ti). Closer to 25-30% mark on the former than 50-60% on the latter. Gains like the latter are rare these days.
As for selling, Nvidia won't need to worry. Thirsty market and basically unchecked market dominance in the high end - market will take what it can get unless there is something very wrong with the cards or they get too greedy.

Inclined to agree here.

I guess I still don't get where you're getting the 25% number from? Going off guru3d reviews of the gtx 980 Ti, it shows about a dozen games at 2160p and compares it to the gtx 780 Ti and many other graphics cards. I averaged the performance increase for 8 games, and it was about a 45% increase in performance. Even the lowest percentage increase was like 31%.

Top Bottom