• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Insomniac make a Spider-Verse game?

Should Insomniac make a Spider-Verse game

• Yes, I'd love to see the Spider-Verse in a video game

• Yes, but I'd want it from the point of view of the current game characters

• No, I'd prefer Marvel's Spider-Man 3

• No, I want Insomniac to focus on a non superhero based game

Results are only viewable after voting.
Whether it is Spider-Man 3 with a tie-in or a full-on Spider-Verse game, I'd love to see that universe play out in a game.

Hate to say it, but the characters in Spider-Verse are leagues ahead of Insomniac's Spider-Man right now. Obviously, we'll see how they evolve in Spider-Man 2.

I'm sure there are many who just want Insomniac to get out of the superhero business, but there can't be that many of you who were actually buying their games before, because they weren't megahit games after Spyro.

We all know they are working on Wolverine, but it'll be interesting to see what else they do this generation.

CamHostage

PixelOpus was doing a Sony Animation Pictures crossover, which could possibly have been Spider-Verse related. (Other possibilities could have been a Mitchells vs the Machines game, or a companion to whatever "K-Pop: Demon Hunters" is? Or an original title using a combination of Sony Pictures tech, PixelOpus tech, and UE5.) Although I don't feel much need for superhero games to stack up in the PS library, I was looking forward to this idea of the Concrete Genie guys doing this type of Spidey world, with unique gameplay and visual style setting it apart from the main canon Insomniac games.

FaswzP2.jpg

... but Sony shut PixelOpus down, so unfortunately that project is dead.

I don't personally want Insomniac to do yet another Spider-Man just to do it. I'd rather it be different the way the USM and Shattered Dimensions took off in new directions. But one special spinoff might be okay.

Last edited:

freefornow

Gold Member
Yes they should. Make it a GAAS. And give it a budget of at least $180 million not including marketing.
Still time Jim. March is 6 months away.

kiphalfton

There should be one and only one Spider-Man. It detracts from the Spider-Man character we are familiar with.

I like Miles Morales (so I want to give his character a pass), but this whole "pass the torch to the next generation" and "multiverse" bullshit needs to stop.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yes, but

1. In the same art style as the movies
2. Another studio should do the legwork and a smaller Insomniac team should consult and oversee the project.

Labolas

Curious how that is the case. I feel like Miles is way better a character and alternate than any of the Arkham characters, who feel like lesser versions of Batman.

Miles arguably is better in some cases with the venom powers and invisibility.
Miles is a character who doesn't have his own identity. His powers aren't even original, which is/was present in other Spider Man related characters. Hell, he doesn't even have his own moniker. Hell, Parker had clones of himself that had their own superhero names.

Adding Miles to Parker's story does nothing for the character other than being a sidekick to the real Spider Man.

Say what you will about Dick Grayson, he at least is his own character.

Last edited:

Doom85

but this whole "pass the torch to the next generation" and "multiverse" bullshit needs to stop.

Stop? Passing the torch in superhero comics have been a thing since Hal Jordan became the 2nd Green Lantern and Barry Allen became the 2nd Flash in the 50’s. The multi-verse has also been a thing for a very long time. Miles wasn’t even the first alternate Spidey, there was Ben Reilly and Miguel O’Hara who have been a thing since the 90’s.

I’d rather the adaptations stay true to the comics and all their elements rather than hand pick them due to non readers being less familiar with them.

There should be one and only one Spider-Man. It detracts from the Spider-Man character we are familiar with.

I like Miles Morales (so I want to give his character a pass), but this whole "pass the torch to the next generation" and "multiverse" bullshit needs to stop.

This screams of alternate motivations.

There are multiple comic book characters with the same moniker and there almost always have been. So it seems like you're probably not really a comic book fan if that is a problem for you.

How many versions of Robin have there been? The Flash? Green Lantern?

It seems like you have an attachment to Peter Parker's Spider-Man because that's all you're familiar with and all you want to be familiar with.

I absolutely want to see more from Spider-Gwen/Spider-Woman, Spider-Man Noir, and Spider-Man 2099. In fact the gameplay elements from most of the characters from Spider-Verse give limitless potential.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
No. I'm not hostile towards it but when I say don't jump the shark just naturally go in the progression you're going. Not all Spider-Man media needs to cover or attempt a Spider-Verse.

Aenima

No, im excited to see what they will do with Wolverine, but after that i hope they give the superhero formula a rest and make a new IP.

Not totally against it but I’d like to see them try another new IP at some point or revitalise something from Sony’s past that is currently dormant.

Last edited:
Not surprised by the results and pleased with the results. As great as the Spiderman games are, it'd be awesome to see Insomniac try something new and bold.

Could say that about a lot of studios TBH, but the poll's about Insomniac so there 'ya go.

Not surprised by the results and pleased with the results. As great as the Spiderman games are, it'd be awesome to see Insomniac try something new and bold.

Could say that about a lot of studios TBH, but the poll's about Insomniac so there 'ya go.

Interesting, I think the results suggests that exactly what they should do.

Nearly have of responders want more spider-man.

The other half want something new, but once you actually get into what that would/could be, you're going to have people drop off in interest. Of course, maybe you see more interest.

Had the poll stated what would you like

Spiderverse game
Spider-Man 3
New IP Single Player
New IP Multiplayer
New Resistance game
Resistance remake
New Ratchet game
Sunset Overdrive sequel

The Spiderverse ranking might be significantly higher

Interesting, I think the results suggests that exactly what they should do.

Nearly have of responders want more spider-man.

The other half want something new, but once you actually get into what that would/could be, you're going to have people drop off in interest. Of course, maybe you see more interest.

Had the poll stated what would you like

Spiderverse game
Spider-Man 3
New IP Single Player
New IP Multiplayer
New Resistance game
Resistance remake
New Ratchet game
Sunset Overdrive sequel

The Spiderverse ranking might be significantly higher

I mean, is it close? Yes. But it's still 54% wanting something new versus the rest who want more Spiderman-related stuff. Later votes could swing the majority in favor of the latter, who knows.

Going with your example, I feel the poll results would probably play out about the same. The general non-Spiderman choices are still there and cover the gamut of what those who picked the last option would likely want anyway. Could be a new Resistance, or Sunset Overdrive, or Ratchet, or new IP altogether...it's still effectively not Spiderman.

Doesn't even have anything to do with the quality, as we know the Spiderman games have been very good and extremely polished. But some will want a different flavor of variety and we know Insomniac can do a wide variety of game types.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I like the Spider Verse but Insomniac was smart to build something that stands on its own and let's them tell fresh takes on these stories.

Spyxos

Gold Member
We are getting Spiderman 2 and Wolverine. They should do Resistance 4 as next, or Insomniac's version of Killzone might also be interesting.

Lupin25

Technically, they’re already going in that direction with Miles Morales.

We know another Spider-Man 3 will come no matter what to finish the trilogy. I would like to see more of the Spiderverse, as long as Insomniac can develop a story that makes sense for it.

If I had it my way Insomniac would be making a new IP.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
God please no. I don't want Insomniac to be a superhero factory. I was already disappointed when Wolverine got announced. I'm sure it'll be good, but I want new IP or a return to some classic ones like Resistance or Sunset Overdrive (if possible).

Nvzman

Stop? Passing the torch in superhero comics have been a thing since Hal Jordan became the 2nd Green Lantern and Barry Allen became the 2nd Flash in the 50’s. The multi-verse has also been a thing for a very long time. Miles wasn’t even the first alternate Spidey, there was Ben Reilly and Miguel O’Hara who have been a thing since the 90’s.

I’d rather the adaptations stay true to the comics and all their elements rather than hand pick them due to non readers being less familiar with them.
Ben Reilly was a clone, not a multi-verse Spider-Man.

Regardless, there's a reason why for a long time it was mainly just comics (and some side games like Shattered Dimensions) that had any sort of focus on multi-verse stuff: because the mainline series was running out of ideas and they let the artists/writers come up with some alternative ideas to do something more creative. It was never intended to replace the main/original timeline, just be sort of a creative spin. The Ultimate comics were the biggest example of this.

The problem I personally have is now how literally every adaption of Spider-Man has Miles shoehorned in. If it was just the animated movies and nothing else, ok fine, those movies are trying to expose lesser known Spider-Man variants. But the PS4 game, and now even the next MCU movie allegedly having Miles in, as well as basically every new Marvel show and game, it really does feel like Peter's 50+ years as being his own, loner Spider-Man have been completely retconned. Having two Spider-Men already kind of downplays the entire point of Spider-Man's existance, which was to be a loner type superhero who is hiding his fears and personal problems from his enemies. Having another one for him to confide in kind of ruins the whole point in that and it dramatically reduces a lot of the stakes knowing Peter just has backup at any moment. Or if its using the Ultimate adaption where Miles's is Peter's replacement (due to him dying), thats fine when its the basis of the plot, like Into the Spider-Verse, but I absolutely would not like it in something like the PS4 games.

I think the first PS4 game actually did a very good job with Peter, and I'm perfectly fine with Miles being Spider-Man as well, but I cannot help but feel like the story will end up being a lot less interesting when Peter doesn't have nearly as much pressure from being on his own. Theres still a lot of interesting Spidey stories that would make for awesome video games that are now basically never going to get covered if Miles (or even worse, Spider-Gwen) just keeps getting shoved into everything because he's somewhat popular from the movies.

Also, to answer the threads question: fuck no, please enough with the Spider-Verse stuff, its already insufferable, the movies are fine but they really kind of completely demolish what the entire point of Spider-Man as a character is.

Last edited:
Full Spiderverse? Not really, but I’d love to have Spider-Gwen in the game and have all three spideys together.

I love the story so far and can’t wait what happens next.

The only thing missing IMO from these games is an in-game Spotify or radio. Maybe each character has a personal playlist and you can swing around listening to music, doing side missions and stuff.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Insomniac is the best at making super hero games because of their really good world building.

Ben Reilly was a clone, not a multi-verse Spider-Man.

Regardless, there's a reason why for a long time it was mainly just comics (and some side games like Shattered Dimensions) that had any sort of focus on multi-verse stuff: because the mainline series was running out of ideas and they let the artists/writers come up with some alternative ideas to do something more creative. It was never intended to replace the main/original timeline, just be sort of a creative spin. The Ultimate comics were the biggest example of this.

The problem I personally have is now how literally every adaption of Spider-Man has Miles shoehorned in. If it was just the animated movies and nothing else, ok fine, those movies are trying to expose lesser known Spider-Man variants. But the PS4 game, and now even the next MCU movie allegedly having Miles in, as well as basically every new Marvel show and game, it really does feel like Peter's 50+ years as being his own, loner Spider-Man have been completely retconned. Having two Spider-Men already kind of downplays the entire point of Spider-Man's existance, which was to be a loner type superhero who is hiding his fears and personal problems from his enemies. Having another one for him to confide in kind of ruins the whole point in that and it dramatically reduces a lot of the stakes knowing Peter just has backup at any moment. Or if its using the Ultimate adaption where Miles's is Peter's replacement (due to him dying), thats fine when its the basis of the plot, like Into the Spider-Verse, but I absolutely would not like it in something like the PS4 games.

I think the first PS4 game actually did a very good job with Peter, and I'm perfectly fine with Miles being Spider-Man as well, but I cannot help but feel like the story will end up being a lot less interesting when Peter doesn't have nearly as much pressure from being on his own. Theres still a lot of interesting Spidey stories that would make for awesome video games that are now basically never going to get covered if Miles (or even worse, Spider-Gwen) just keeps getting shoved into everything because he's somewhat popular from the movies.

It's funny how you see it as being shoehorned in, but when I ask my nephew who his favorite character is, he says Spider-Man and when I ask for clarification, he makes it clear that his Spider-Man is Miles Morales, not Peter Parker.

Saying Miles is shoehorned into stories, is like saying Robin is shoehorned into Batman stories, but you never hear that...

50 years? Spider-Man was introduced in 1962. Ben Reilly was introduced in 1975 (13 years later). Miguel O'Hara was introduced in 1992 (17 years later). Miles Morales was introduced in 2011 and has become one of the most popular comic book characters in the world.

The idea that they wouldn't use him is a bit absurd.

Can you name a comic book character more popular than Miles Morales created in the last 30 years? But apparently, he is being shoehorned in. Honestly, that is laughable. And it's not just because he is Spider-Man. There have been many characters to take on mantles that flat out fail. Most of them do.

It's not just the movie that has done well, but so has his game. It makes 1000 percent sense to bring him into the MCU and as for shoehorning, they built that out from the very start with Spider-Man Homecoming showing Aaron Davis and mentioning his nephew.

There are a lot of Spider-Man stories to tell, and him mentoring Miles Morales is just as valid as Batman mentoring Dick Grayson (1940), Jason Todd (1983), Tim Drake (1989), and Damian Wayne (1987). Note, that I've never once heard ANYONE suggest these characters were shoehorned in.

Either something else for a while or stick with main universe. I already wish it was just Spiderman, so having a bunch of em running around wouldn't improve things in my eyes.

X-Men plz

I think if Wolverine and Spider-Man 2 are successful, there are going to be more and larger collaborations with Marvel.

Right now Insomniac is the only studio making remotely successful Marvel games. Don't think it is a coincidence that they're making Wolverine and think that's obviously a precursor to X-Men, especially given Insomniac's gameplay styles. That being said, it'll be interesting to see if an X-Men game retains the tone and style of a Wolverine game.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
I’d prefer they stay out of Spider-verse stuff. A third standard Spider-Man game would be great - Sandman, Mysterio and Green Goblin are all yet to make an appearance (although it looks like Mysterio will be in SM2), and have the potential to offer some gameplay-altering challenges for Spidey. Let them wrap up a trilogy, then move to something non-supery, perhaps alongside Wolverine 2, if that’s what they want to do.

Top Bottom