• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Microsoft make their first party games exclusive to Gamepass.

Should Microsoft make their first party games exclusive to Gamepass?

• Yes. Microsoft should lock the games to Gamepass only

Votes: 31 21.2%
  • No. Microsoft should always give people a choice.

Votes: 115 78.8%

• Total voters

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Except you can purchase Blurays of those shows and own them without even having the service. It is true it several months after the show was released, but you have the option.

There will always be people who can't do streaming or downloads.

Point me to the Witcher or The Boys Blu-ray please.

No. Ability to purchase digitally on Xbox Series X/Xbox Series S/PC and Windows Store. Disc for Xbox Series X. And Game Pass as well. More options, the better.

Better for us, but it would be better for MS if they managed consumers into a lifetime of Gamepass.

TheShocker

I love game pass and the benefits from it, but they should still have standalone copies for those that don’t want the service.

EDMIX

No.

Not right now anyway. Their whole marketing pitch right now is playing anywhere and how you feel like it etc. Compared to their whole XONE launch of play how we tell you to play and ONLY how we tell you to play, it would be hard for them to go back to something like that tbh.

I only see them doing a whole gamepass only thing when they leave hardware and be a 3rd party publisher solely.

I thought it was common sense that this scenario is the end game here? What incentive is there for MS to keep their games not GP exclusive in the future? They want to sell subs, right?

IDKFA

I thought it was common sense that this scenario is the end game here? What incentive is there for MS to keep their games not GP exclusive in the future? They want to sell subs, right?

This.

Why would Microsoft bother with the cheap, minnow peasants who only buy one game a year, or buy the physical version of the game cheap on Amazon.

Microsoft, eventually anyway, will force we everyone to sign up for Gamepass. At the moment they are just getting people into the door, but once people have built up a huge Gamepass library then BAM! They'll hike up the price and lock all their exclusive
games behind Gamepass.

I know it sounds like an evil plan, but it makes perfect business sense. If I were a shareholder I'd be rubbing my hands in glee.

Hostile_18

Banned
This.

Why would Microsoft bother with the cheap, minnow peasants who only buy one game a year, or buy the physical version of the game cheap on Amazon.

Microsoft, eventually anyway, will force we everyone to sign up for Gamepass. At the moment they are just getting people into the door, but once people have built up a huge Gamepass library then BAM! They'll hike up the price and lock all their exclusive
games behind Gamepass.

I know it sounds like an evil plan, but it makes perfect business sense. If I were a shareholder I'd be rubbing my hands in glee.

Mental gymnastics there to make Gamepass players the ones spending more cash on games 😂

How do you recoup 7.5 billion by locking these games up. Sell, sell, sell to everyone and anyone.

IDKFA

Mental gymnastics there to make Gamepass players the ones spending more cash on games 😂

How do you recoup 7.5 billion by locking these games up. Sell, sell, sell to everyone and anyone.

For now yeah. Get people on board by selling services and games any which way they can.

But in the future, games should and will be tied down to Gamepass. It makes more sense and makes MS more money in the long run.

Go ask Disney how that worked out with Mulan.
Mulan didn’t work because they barely marketed it in China and the no name actress went all political by saying she supports the communist party over Hong Kong which alienated her with the western audience.

oldergamer

No. People keep forgetting how gamepass has actually worked so far

1. MS has rotated games in and out of gamepass availability. This applies to first party or 3rd party titles. It keeps content fresh and gives games a chance to make money through regular channels
2. Every game MS makes as first party will still have a disc release. First party games will show up there day and date with the version that is for sale in the store or brick and mortar stores.
3. Nothing is "exclusive" to gamepass.
4. Addons and expansions are not usually available for games in gamepass. They have to be purchased

Gamepass is a way to expose more games to people at a great price. you can play the entire game while it is on gamepass, or if you like the game, you can purchase it and continue playing with it rotates out.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
It doesn’t make sense, they still make a decent amount of money through physical sales. Gamepass is just another avenue, albeit probably their biggest one for revenue. Gamepass is exploding right now, they don’t need to subtract from other areas to further it’s exponential growth.

Top Bottom