• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo have delayed Star Fox Zero to be a Switch launch title?

Uzumaki Goku

As we all know, Star Fox Zero didn't sell too well last year. Chief reasons being that it was on the Wii U, a system that was pretty much already dead in the water. Granted, I think there would have to be a major overhaul, not make the game so motion control sensitive to work on Switch, but it's an interesting thought. What if Nintendo had delayed Star Fox Zero to come out on Switch? Would it have sold better?

Kyzer

Banned
Delaying it wouldn't make it a Switch title, they might as well make a sequel at that point. But I can't deny that I would buy it

dickroach

it seems like Miyamoto only started and finished that game because he had to prove to himself that the wii u gamepad was useful for something,
so...
no.

Griss

The whole game was a proof of concept for the gamepad. They might as well have scrapped it and started over if they were going to put it on Switch. At which point, why not just push it out the door and move on?

And shorn of its gimmick, it's a content-light, ugly retread of past games. It's not worth bringing to a new system even if the controls are fixed.

Kneefoil

It would've been a very different game and one that more people would've liked, for sure. That being said, the GamePad is the reason the game exists in the first place, so delaying it and putting it on the Switch was never really an option, since Switch does not have dual screens.

No. They shouldn't have bothered with that.

You could maybe make an argument for delaying colour splash to launch on Switch instead, but Zero was never going to be much more than it was on Wii U (That is, not good)

MCN

Banned
The Switch could do without bad games. The WiiU was already dead, so it made no difference there.

Kyzer

Banned
Launch was bad enough already. And no, Zelda isn't a musthave for most people.

Zelda isn't considered a must have for most people?

You might have meant to say something else

And what do you mean launch was bad enough already? Like it would be even worse with a Star Fox game? lol

Alphahawk

The game seems to me like fundamentally Wii U. Like can Switch even output video from the TV and the dock at the same time? Regardless of if it can or not the issue is not really that relevant. It was built for the ground up to be controlled with the WiiU gamepad? Remember last time Nintendo attempted to put out a game that was developed for one consoles control scheme on another? It was Donkey Kong's Barrel Blast and it was a disaster.

TheMoon

no because it would have made no sense. their whole pitch for the game was dual screen combat. no matter how much people dislike dealing with that.

and that's that.

Neiteio

I absolutely loved Star Fox Zero and feel it's the most exciting and best-playing Star Fox by far. But you need the twin-screen setup for its increased spatial awareness and parallel shooting to work. Switch only has one screen.

Uzumaki Goku

no because it would have made no sense. their whole pitch for the game was dual screen combat. no matter how much people dislike dealing with that.

and that's that.

I remember Zelda was supposed to have some duel screen implementation when it was Wii U exclusive, but Aunoma removes it because it was disruptive to gameplay.

Kneefoil

I remember Zelda was supposed to have some duel screen implementation when it was Wii U exclusive, but Aunoma removes it because it was disruptive to gameplay.

I feel like in reality, the Game Pad integration was removed due to Nintendo telling them to make a Switch version. There are still many things left in the game that were clearly designed with the Game Pad in mind, and which would've worked better, had the final game actually taken advantage of the Game Pad.

Either way, though, the Game Pad is a much more fundamental part of Star Fox Zero's gameplay than it likely was for BotW. The game would've needed a much greater overhaul than Zelda did.

fhqwhgads

I don't feel like Zero being a Switch game would've changed how people felt about it. It still would've been Miyamoto wanting to make an experimental title putting the motion controls at his disposal into a series he holds dear to him. The only difference is how it would've used the Joycon's motion sensor stuff rather than the Wii U's motion sense stuff.

If it was delayed there's also a good chance more content would be added, but it still would have met the mixed reception it got considered how people feel about motion controls in this day and age.

Pokemaniac

Star Fox Zero on Switch would have been a fundamentally different game. That game's design is deeply tied to the Wii U.

Why do people suggest anti-consumer things like this? Deliberately delaying a game to boost their new console at the expense of their existing customers who were probably already feeling disappointed with their system would be a very crummy thing to do and damaging to their reputation. Considering they were likely already doing this with Zelda I think they were correct to take the financial hit for the sake of their reputation and trust among fans.

It's honestly hard to say what Nintendo's top was exactly thinking of Star Fox Zero, both when announced and when released, but they clearly didn't expect GOTYs for it at the latter point. It was specifically released when it was so that Wii U had something while Zelda was delayed for the, ummm, not last time. Regardless, porting it would have been an admit of defeat since it was specifically a GamePad potential demonstration game when pitched.

There's some speculation about that. It was probably for feature parity whatever they say. The one thing that could have been there was the inventory screen.

Why do people suggest anti-consumer things like this? Deliberately delaying a game to boost their new console at the expense of their existing customers who were probably already feeling disappointed with their system would be a very crummy thing to do and damaging to their reputation. Considering they were likely already doing this with Zelda I think they were correct to take the financial hit for the sake of their reputation and trust among fans.

Charging $60 for Star Fox Zero was anti-consumer enough.

JavyOO7

No, it was fine on the Wii U. I liked it plenty. I do hope for a Zero 2 on Switch where the people who did not like the controlling on Wii U would like it on Switch.

120v

i think the game in and of itself was pretty much a consolation prize for wii u owners. even if it was kind of a dud

"but hey, uh... at least you're getting star fox"

mavo

Banned
I dunno how that would even work? It was designed entirely around the GamePad.

Switch has motion controls too right? There is really only one time that you absolutely need to look at the gamepad and is basically because they force you to do it.

And i mean is not like you need to look at the gamepad you can just press minus, so the game totally would work in the Switch, they just didn't feel like it was worth their time oe money probably.

Star Fox Zero on Switch would have been a fundamentally different game. That game's design is deeply tied to the Wii U.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I have not jumped on SF0 train, but was there really anything in it that wouldn't work as well with a solid gyroscope, picture in picture and a camera tag switch button?

VDenter

Banned
They should make another Star Fox instead. One that is more than 1/3 complete and does not look like an upressed GameCube game.

Top Bottom