• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo have delayed Star Fox Zero to be a Switch launch title?

Correct me if I'm wrong as I have not jumped on SF0 train, but was there really anything in it that wouldn't work as well with a solid gyroscope, picture in picture and a camera tag switch button?

The game already had a toggle, and I found it was worse with it on imo. PiP would have eaten into your play area too.

So could it have worked? Technically. But it would have been a lesser experience

ITSMILNER

They should let Platinum have full control over the next StarFox and make it a character action game like Ratchet and Clank but with options to use the ARwings when travelling between planets

Think it would work well

Game literally only exists just to be a gimmicky tech demo for the Wii U gamepad.

Which is pretty absurd, considering it released in 2016 and by that point, the Gamepad and the entire console itself had been well proven to be a total failure. And thus, Star Fox Zero was a total failure.

It felt like a low budget tech demo.

I absolutely adore StarFox 64.

How do you save the series? Just make a ****ing good one!

Star Fox has basically been pushed into the same bottomless hole Paper Mario and Metroid have. The "we're just gonna experiment and keep doing everything but what our audience actually wants from these games" hole.

Star Fox has basically been pushed into the same bottomless hole Paper Mario and Metroid have. The "we're just gonna experiment and keep doing everything but what our audience actually wants from these games" hole.
Hey!

Star Fox was in that hole first.

EDIT: Star Fox might have even been the original digger of the hole.

There are currently fewer Switches in the wild than there were Wii U when Starfox came out, so no having it on Switch would not = more sales. Starfox bombed because it was a shitty game.

Furthermore, wasn't the entire gimmick of the game using the gamepad to aim? That wouldn't work on Switch either.

TheMoon

I remember Zelda was supposed to have some duel screen implementation when it was Wii U exclusive, but Aunoma removes it because it was disruptive to gameplay.

No it wasn't. It was supposed to have general GamePad functionality with the touch screen. Not DUAL SCREEN gameplay. Star Fox Zero has dual screen gameplay - relying on both screens at the same time like a DS game. That was its whole reason for existing.

There are currently fewer Switches in the wild than there were Wii U when Starfox came out, so no having it on Switch would not = more sales. Starfox bombed because it was a shitty game.

Furthermore, wasn't the entire gimmick of the game using the gamepad to aim? That wouldn't work on Switch either.

Zelda sold miles better on Switch though.

Rambler

It's especially baffling with Starfox because didn't the SNES and N64 games do really well?

Mokujin

No thanks, I would rather them try to build something new with Starfox than getting that dual screen shoehorned, half-assed game.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's especially baffling with Starfox because didn't the SNES and N64 games do really well?

SNES one was wholly tied up in being a hardware demo, and one-up on other consoles. Got a lot of sales and love through that, which carried over into the N64 one but as 3D games have evolved so Star Fox has appeared outdated.

I still think it would find a place, and satisfy fans, if instead of being embarrassed about it being a rail-shooter they just embraced it. Stop fucking around with it. Give it the production values it needs, some imaginative set-pieces. Job done.

Miyamoto's 'we have to find a new twist to put on this' thing isn't always a blessing, and in Zero's case put a bullet in its head.

Zelda sold miles better on Switch though.

Zelda's a system seller and a cultural phenomenon. At best Starfox might have benefited from the current dearth of games for Switch, but even then I'm sure sales numbers for games like Bomberman R and other Switch titles would show that bump isn't significant.

They would have had to change a ton of it due to the lack of the second screen. Plus it needed normal controls and multiplayer badly.

Don't worry though, I have a feeling it will be ported to Switch with these changes implemented.

NEO0MJ

Hey!

Star Fox was in that hole first.

EDIT: Star Fox might have even been the original digger of the hole.

Well, Mario and Zelda already did it with Zelda II and the US release of SMB2. Of course, both went back to old conventions with the sequels with Star Fox kept changing post 64.

Mory Dunz

Of all the games that should've possibly been delayed/moved to a Switch launch title....you mention Star Fox?

lol

Star Fox would've barely been affected. Games like Paper Mario, Mario Sports Superstar, etc would've had their sales multiply.
Pokken port would be nice too

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Of all the games that should've possibly been delayed/moved to a Switch launch title....you mention Star Fox?

lol

Star Fox would've barely been affected. Games like Paper Mario, Mario Sports Superstar, etc would've had their sales multiply.
Pokken port would be nice too

Star Fox (but a good one) would have done wonders for the launch. Much more so than beginning the Mario spin-off IP saturation early.

Mory Dunz

Star Fox (but a good one) would have done wonders for the launch. Much more so than beginning the Mario spin-off IP saturation early.

You put but a good one. So are you including SF0 or no?
I disagree if you mean SF0. Seing the sales of bomberman, snipperclips, 1-2 Switch, a casual focused game with "Mario" in the title would've done really well, no doubt about it. Mario Sports moreso than PM. PM is hard to say.

I don't really see the saturation...well unless that Mario Rabbids game exists and is bad.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yeah, they should re release Zero again on Switch without the weird two screens controlling system.

It'd be a really really good game then.

No, but I wish they had done so with Color Splash.

Why do people suggest anti-consumer things like this? Deliberately delaying a game to boost their new console at the expense of their existing customers who were probably already feeling disappointed with their system would be a very crummy thing to do and damaging to their reputation. Considering they were likely already doing this with Zelda I think they were correct to take the financial hit for the sake of their reputation and trust among fans.
Huh? There's a history of this kind of thing happening in the gaming industry. Happened many times before. Eternal Darkness was originally a N64 game. Super Paper Mario was originally a GC game.

The problem with Zero, to me, is beyond just the controls (though it doesn't help). It feels like an imitation of Star Fox 64 when it should be an evolution. It really needed to straight up be a different game.

It might have sold better, but it wouldn't have been much better because it was intrinsically tied to the Wii U. It originated as an attempt to make use of the dual screen setup. It was painfully clear the number of levels and their design, the limited branching paths and generally barebones content was a result of the work it took just to create that control scheme, build something around it, and have it run at 60fps across two screens. That result was a neat novelty or a huge hindrance to most, something generally not considered worth the sacrifices and effort.

A SF Switch would be a different game. A theoretical SF made for Switch that had local and online multiplayer could've been decently successful, in terms of sales and reception.

Second post.

StarFox Switch deserves a 4 player co-op campaign mode.

I wish ... man. Could be good

KingBroly

Banned
Star Fox Zero was a forced, flawed concept that was designed around a system first than rather as a product.

No matter what system you want to release it on, it will never live up to your expectations of what you or the developers think it could have been.

Pokemaniac

Correct me if I'm wrong as I have not jumped on SF0 train, but was there really anything in it that wouldn't work as well with a solid gyroscope, picture in picture and a camera tag switch button?

It'd be technically functional. That wouldn't be at all a good way to play the game, though.

boiled goose

good with gravy
A flawed game made to prove a point but mostly failing.

Story worse than original. Outdated in some ways. Not a visual treat either.

Starfox zero and skyward sword are bad Nintendo while splatoon and botw are good Nintendo.

(Bad Nintendo still good to decent, but thinks innovation is tied to inputs, thinks accessibility is hand holding tutorials.

nightside

Nintendo doesn't have the slightest idea of what to do with star fox. The fact that they seem unable to move past sf64 says a lot.

TreIII

Imagine what Treasure would have done with Star Fox.

sigh

Treasure is one thing (even though they barely exist, now).

My dream StarFox game would be something like Panzer Dragoon Saga. Action-RPG merged with corridor shooting + space-vehicular/mecha-based action sounds like something that would be right up PlatinumGames' alley.

Either way, the sooner the series is placed into the hands of some new blood and kept far and away from Miyamoto's ethics about the series needing to be a "tech showcase", the better, in my opinion.

marmoka

Banned
Could we please forget that game? That would make the Switch look like garbage.

Also I'm scared with Miyamoto's next project. Who knows what weird aberration will he bring us this time.

Jackano

In any case yes, Switch line-up could use more quantity;
Even more if this means the game would have ended to be better with the extra time of development.

Top Bottom