• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should we boycott Shadow Complex?

MrHicks

Banned
AkuMifune said:
Actually I completely intend on buying a few extra copies. I'm not a self-serving shithead, I just don't think these devs or this game deserves to get hurt over a few misguided souls trying to make a statement. You can't judge a body of work completed by a group of talented people based on the beliefs of one outside individual in that group. That's bigoted.

dude thats just a joke
why would you waste money like that seriously

AkuMifune said:
Worse people than OSC, I'm sure.

Can we get a count of all the confirmed boycotts? I want to see just how many "heroes" this monster thread has in it. Also, I need to find out how many extra copies to buy to just to make it a worthless endeavor for them.
You are not funny, and never have been, or ever will be.

ronito

as silly as it is, at least the devs know that someone like Card is a possible liability.....all of them that read gaf that is.....and actually make decisions about producing games....well...at least someone feels empowered?

ronito said:
as silly as it is, at least the devs know that someone like Card is a possible liability.....all of them that read gaf that is.....and actually make decisions about producing games....well...at least someone feels empowered?

I can't wait till we can boycott the ender's game movie. That'll be an awesome OT thread.

AkuMifune said:

Can we get a count of all the confirmed boycotts? I want to see just how many "heroes" this monster thread has in it. Also, I need to find out how many extra copies to buy to just to make it a worthless endeavor for them.
I fully intended on staying out of this thread anymore, but this was caught my eye.

So you want to cancel out everyone that's not buying a copy? That's great, good for you. I have personally ensured that fifty people I know who were fully intending to buy the game now no longer are. And, what the hell, let's say they're doing it specifically to punish the developer.

So, let's open up Windows calculator here

Ouch! That's going to run you about $750!

As the proud destroyer of bigotry you present yourself to be here, I'm sure you'll be happy to spend that much making sure the developers don't get punished by the awful Big Boycott industry.

If you're not willing to pony up, well, I guess you just didn't really care that much about them in the first place. If they're not worth less than a thousand dollars, they're worthless, I'm guessing.

Tellaerin

AkuMifune said:
Actually I completely intend on buying a few extra copies. I'm not a self-serving shithead, I just don't think these devs or this game deserves to get hurt over a few misguided souls trying to make a statement. You can't judge a body of work completed by a group of talented people based on the beliefs of one outside individual in that group. That's bigoted.

I dealt with that in an earlier post. To repeat: It's a shame that innocent people could be hurt by a boycott, and the idea doesn't exactly make me happy. But it's the only way to get across to developers that OSC isn't somebody they should want to have associated with their projects, and that takes precedence. The battle for equal rights for same-sex couples in America is a little more far-reaching than the financial well-being of one small videogame company. If you really have money to burn and you give a damn, then write out a check for the amount you were going to spend on extra copies and send it to Chair instead, and request it be divvied up between the guys and gals there (so that they're compensated without OSC getting a cut :p).

Incidentally, if you guys really want to make sure Chair is supported by your money, I suggest donating here.

http://www.nationformarriage.org/site/c.omL2KeN0LzH/b.3374833/k.E256/About_NOM.htm

Your money will go to NOM, then Card will get a cut, then with Card becoming richer and more notable, Chair will be more likely to take him on in further products, thus being able to make more games.

Sure, it may be entirely against your belief system to donate to an organization like NOM, but the possibility of getting a new game out of it makes it null and void!

sonicmj1

ShockingAlberto said:
Incidentally, if you guys really want to make sure Chair is supported by your money, I suggest donating here.

http://www.nationformarriage.org/site/c.omL2KeN0LzH/b.3374833/k.E256/About_NOM.htm

Your money will go to NOM, then Card will get a cut, then with Card becoming richer and more notable, Chair will be more likely to take him on in further products, thus being able to make more games.

Sure, it may be entirely against your belief system to donate to an organization like NOM, but the possibility of getting a new game out of it makes it null and void!

That logic helps Chair about as much as this boycott hurts Card.

AkuMifune

Banned
Big-E said:
To get back at the bigots in this thread who are sending Chair to the bread lines.

I know you already admitted to buying it, but I see in your XBL profile you were just playing it as well. You don't get to support the game and then mock the rest of us who do. Douchebag.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Do we know if OSC is getting a percentage of sales or a lump sum? If it's the latter, how is any of the money from the sales of the game going to end up in his pockets? He already has his money.
you'd think the people boycotting the game would have thought to check this out first.

i don't know the licensing agreement he has with Chair, but i'd not be remotely surprised if they just paid him a lump sum to use the license.

most people are against gay marriage. that doesn't define them as people. that doesn't make them evil, just misguided or misled.

if the product itself were bigoted i'd get the boycott. if the developers had bigoted hiring practices... i'd get it...

but i can bet you that there probably isn't a game developer in the country that doesn't have at least one person, maybe even a person that directly worked on the game, that is against gay marriage.

you can demonize all these people, or you can try to teach them why they are wrong just as we did in the civil rights movement.

Card isn't evil, his faith tells him that gay marriage is wrong... but sure, make him a straw man and damn anyone that associates him.

make bigots go into hiding as if that's somehow useful or going to solve anything.

Big-E

AkuMifune said:
I know you already admitted to buying it, but I see in your XBL profile you were just playing it as well. You don't get to support the game and then mock the rest of us who do. Douchebag.

What is recent too you? I bought it, I played it and beat it that's it. If I was able to refund the game I would but somehow I don't think MS would refund me the points.

Big-E said:
What is recent too you? I bought it, I played it and beat it that's it. If I was able to refund the game I would but somehow I don't think MS would refund me the points.
i hope you do a rigorous background check on everyone associated with a game before buying in the future.

though, you probably won't be doing much buying.

AkuMifune

Banned
Big-E said:

When you beat the game Chair sent out its death squad to kill another poor little closeted kid somewhere, didn't you realize that?

Asmodai

Banned
Spoo said:
I searched ALL OVER for a copy of "Empire" today to buy. Looks like it's straight ^ sold out.

I.O.W: This proposed Boycott of OSC's videogame has hardly harmed the sale of his books, which is where he makes most of his cash.

Damn, I didn't think books sold out.

AkuMifune said:
When you beat the game Chair sent out its death squad to kill another poor little closeted kid somewhere, didn't you realize that?

Orson Scott Card is reading this thread from his secret volcano fortress and laughing maniacally. "Foolish NeoGAF! You will never stop my scheme for (anti-gay) world domination!"

AkuMifune said:

I'm not surprised he's a hypocrite. Idiots usually are.

Spoo

Haha, okay, okay...

Everyone, we've had our fun. We've officially had it! This message; whether you agree with it or not, has made its way onto other message boards, websites, what-have-you. Brilliant, I say.

But really, what has truly happened here? Not much. Some people didn't buy the game; most people (who were interested in it to begin with) did. You've also interested the rest -- due to sheer controversy to purchase the game. They're pysched, but they shouldn't be, since the game holds no major revelation for them, lol. The thing is, controversy is a very, very powerful tool; and people shouting about this game has made it more appealing; not less.

Big-E

Asmodai said:
I'm not surprised he's a hypocrite. Idiots usually are.

I already admitted that I bought this game and would not have if this thread was posted the day the game released. I bought it so I played it. Just because I take the side of defending those who did boycott makes me a hypocrite? I admit I did not know and would have refunded the purchase if I could. I also like that you of all people are calling me an idiot, the one who can't understand pronoun usage. I see you used a pronoun in your post, you should have addressed me by name, someone might get confused.

ShockingAlberto said:
But the assumption is that politics don't matter as long as it helps more games being made, right?
my assumption is that MUCH more effective things can be done which are much more focussed on the actual wrong doers here than being so blind and scattershot than the boycott.

the debate has been brought up, and it's continued veracity will do far more to get the message across than denying Chair sales will.

if you accept that boycotting the game only makes you feel better about yourself and if that's all you're after, then that's fine by me.

i'd just rather you did something that'd actually make a difference. continuing this debate though, that's a good thing.

Spoo

Big-E said:
I already admitted that I bought this game and would not have if this thread was posted the day the game released. I bought it so I played it. Just because I take the side of defending those who did boycott makes me a hypocrite? I admit I did not know and would have refunded the purchase if I could. I also like that you of all people are calling me an idiot, the one who can't understand pronoun usage. I see you used a pronoun in your post, you should have addressed me by name, someone might get confused.

How was the game?

I don't know if this will affect anyones .... Decision to boycott or not to boycott. On the xbox360 fancast they interviewed donald mustard and he said that chair owns the empire ip and hired Olson Scott Card to write novel in their universe. Just some food for thought.

Spoo said:
Haha, okay, okay...

Everyone, we've had our fun. We've officially had it! This message; whether you agree with it or not, has made its way onto other message boards, websites, what-have-you. Brilliant, I say.

But really, what has truly happened here? Not much. Some people didn't buy the game; most people (who were interested in it to begin with) did. You've also interested the rest -- due to sheer controversy to purchase the game. They're pysched, but they shouldn't be, since the game holds no major revelation for them, lol. The thing is, controversy is a very, very powerful tool; and people shouting about this game has made it more appealing; not less.
watch the Mormon horde put together teams of people going door to door advertising the game and sales soar, and spend millions advertising it themselves now.

that'd be funny. in a kind of depressing way.

ZephyrFate said:
I like how expressing genuine dislike for homophobia and gay marriage is somehow 'asinine' and is the reason we have such 'mud-flinging chaos'. No, it's people like OSC and others who bought this game to spite gays or do not care for their cause because they're straight (one of the stupidest reasons to not support something) that have created all the mud-flinging. If we cut out the retards, we could get some modest discussion going.

And at times, we have.

Look, I don't care what your views are. If you want to be seen as having a legitimate point of view, you absolutely do not respond like the post I had quoted. Pure and simple. No if's, and's or but's about it. So please, spare me your melodrama.

And do any of you even realize how much damage your side is doing to your side in this debate when you either fly off the handle like Coin had, or when another one of you steps up and defends that lunatic ranting afterward? Especially when you minimize it as "genuine dislike"? Genuine dislike can be expressed without ranting. Your failure to acknowledge and admit that concerns me greatly.

Hell, I agree with your side, and am an insanely strong advocate for equal rights, and even I'M having trouble seeing why some of you should even be allowed to speak. Some of your side's rhetoric is truly that bad.

Yet you think I'm being unfair about this? Or that I'm somehow ignoring the plight of the gay man? Or that I'm not laying blame where blame is due?

On the contrary. I am laying blame where the blame is due for the quality of this thread. For every single one of you that flew off into some insane expletive-laden, punctuation-free, non-capitalized rant, I lay the blame at your feet. For every single one of you that doubled-down on said insane rants, I lay the blame at your feet.

It's obvious to me that some on your side want to "win" this issue, just as much as a few people on the other side do. But there's no winning. You're all blind men throwing shit around.

Big-E

Spoo said:
How was the game?

I already posted some impressions in the official thread. I believe my words were along the lines of "I don't really enjoy Metroidvanias but am enjoying it and feel it is the best XBLA game that I purchased on the XBLA platform." I believe I wrote this the day the game came out.

Big-E said:
I already posted some impressions in the official thread. I believe my words were along the lines of "I don't really enjoy Metroidvanias but am enjoying it and feel it is the best XBLA game that I purchased on the XBLA platform." I believe I wrote this the day the game came out.
you can keep posting as far as i'm concerned.

though i hold onto my right to take that back if you change your avatar.

Big-E

plagiarize said:
you can keep posting as far as i'm concerned.

though i hold onto my right to take that back if you change your avatar.

What is with the avatar comments today? This is the second time today someone doesn't like my avatar when previously i have gotten like over 20 pms asking who she is because they find her hot.

plagiarize said:
if you accept that boycotting the game only makes you feel better about yourself and if that's all you're after, then that's fine by me.
I've frequently said as much.

Aside from a few outliers here and there, no one has advocated a massive boycott to financially ruin Orson Scott Card.

Its not like he has any actual influence or anything, if he was the leader of a country and enforced oppressive laws against gays then some sort of action against him would be warrented. Since hes just a regular citizen with a controversial opinion I see no reason to hurt all the other people involved in making this great game.

Spoo

Big-E said:
What is with the avatar comments today? This is the second time today someone doesn't like my avatar when previously i have gotten like over 20 pms asking who she is because they find her hot.

Well, she is pretty fucking hot, dude.

Hotter than OSC.

Big-E said:
no it isn't. i love Gina.

sonicmj1

Tellaerin said:
This is something I tried to say before, and maybe I wasn't clear about it. Wanting to stamp out homosexuality and wanting to stamp out bigotry is not the same thing. Denying gay citizens the rights that straight ones enjoy is wrong. Guys like OSC are the ones trying to impose a particular morality and way of life on everyone. Even though the conservative opponents of gay rights like to claim otherwise, the gay rights movement isn't trying to impose a particular way of life on anyone. They're not advocating penalties for being straight, or claiming rights for themselves that straight people shouldn't be entitled to. They're not trying to create a climate where straights are under social pressure to hide their sexual orientation and act gay in public if they want to avoid discrimination or worse. Yet people like you try to paint both sides as the same.

No, dammit, they're not the same. You're wrong.

There is nothing shameful about being biased against Card and his ilk - people who would deny rights to others based on their sexual orientation, and would love nothing better than to force them 'back into the closet' so they can pretend what they don't like doesn't exist.

Judging a person based on their sexual orientation shouldn't be acceptable in our society. It's an individual matter, and the people claiming it 'harms families' or 'harms the community' are full of shit. What they're really saying is that it harms them, by undermining the things they believe in and giving them less of a leg to stand on when they try to promote their 'way of life' to others. Guys like OSC deserve scorn. People who speak out against those people don't. End of story.

You are right. They are not the same.

I feel that way because I share your perspective. Yet I would not be surprised if someone like Card felt that you were the one imposing your morality on him, forcing him to accept your definitions of marriage and your own secular moral code and reject aspects of his religion that he feels are vital. Even if you pointed out that what you do has no direct effect on what he does, it probably wouldn't change his stance. Certainly not after you called him a bigot.

You don't care what he thinks, because you've already dismissed him. Yet even if you believe the labels you apply to him are deserved, they don't help your cause.

Let's look at your rationale for this boycott.

Tellaerin said:
But if there are boycotts, and they make people start thinking twice about working with this bigot (and make said bigot reconsider whether it's really such a good idea for him to promote the agenda he has been), then the results would be worth it.

Do you think that Chair is clueless about Card's political affiliation? Do you think that after their last project with Card nearly killed Majesco, they care so much about the proceeds lost from this boycott that they will sacrifice their business partnership to appease you? Or will they (courageously?) stand behind a man they consider a friend in order to defend his ability to believe and pursue the political aims he chooses?)

Are you currently aware of any other developers that Card is partnering with in the industry?

And of all the people in the world, do you believe that this boycott will make Card reconsider his active stance against homosexuality? Or will an influx of what he perceives as intolerance simply make him redouble his stance, confident in the righteousness of his cause and more certain than ever of his need to defend it in the face of those who oppose him by throwing names at him?

The existence of this boycott has certainly raised awareness about Card's stances on these issues. What I do not believe it has done is constructively changed people's perceptions about the issue, or caused them to consider it any more deeply than they otherwise have. Saying that your opposition is "deserving of scorn" will not bring them over to your side.

If not giving Card a cent of your money helps you maintain your own moral compass, that's fine. But if you think you're going to change the minds of your opposition by demonizing them, you'll be disappointed.

ShockingAlberto said:
I am quite interested in finding out who's going to pony up the $750 to donate to Chair
i have no idea why you are underestimating the Mormon's ability to organize for a cause they believe in.

plagiarize said:
i have no idea why you are underestimating the Mormon's ability to organize for a cause they believe in.
Because a part of me realized that it doesn't really matter what they do, tomorrow, six months, fifty years, they'll be seen as being on the wrong side of history and civil rights.

I can be happy right now that my money isn't going to a despicable cause, other people can enjoy a game they like, and eventually bigots like Card and his ilk will be marginalized if not just completely condemned by our children.

ShockingAlberto said:
Because a part of me realized that it doesn't really matter what they do, tomorrow, six months, fifty years, they'll be seen as being on the wrong side of history and civil rights.

I can be happy right now that my money isn't going to a despicable cause, other people can enjoy a game they like, and eventually bigots like Card and his ilk will be marginalized if not just completely condemned by our children.
i still think it's pretty important to find out if any of the money spent on the game will go into Orson's pocket, and i speak as someone that hasn't bought the game yet but doesn't plan on letting this stop him.

i still don't think it's right or just to brand people like Card as bigots though.

idealistic of me to think people like that can change? maybe. but i still think that when more than half the country support the cause Card supports that we should be focussing on changing people's minds on the issue rather than calling people names.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Spoo said:
Haha, okay, okay...

That's nice. So long as people are more informed about the situation, it doesn't really matter what choices they make.

AkuMifune

Banned
plagiarize said:
i still think it's pretty important to find out if any of the money spent on the game will go into Orson's pocket, and i speak as someone that hasn't bought the game yet but doesn't plan on letting this stop him.

Interestingly it isn't listed on his credits on IMDB, unlike Advent Rising and Secret of Monkey Island. So some of you might want to start a couple other boycotts. I myself have now been thinking of also boycotting Shadow Complex, because I don't want the proceeds to go to CliffyB's stylist. Evil shady person that one must be.

AkuMifune said:
Interestingly it isn't listed on his credits on IMDB, unlike Advent Rising and Secret of Monkey Island. So some of you might want to start a couple other boycotts. I myself have now been thinking of also boycotting Shadow Complex, because I don't want the proceeds to go to CliffyB's stylist. Evil shady person that one must be.
I do enjoy that bad hairstyles equate to stamping out gay marriage to you.

Tellaerin

ShockingAlberto said:
I've frequently said as much.

Aside from a few outliers here and there, no one has advocated a massive boycott to financially ruin Orson Scott Card.

I'm an outlier! :D

Seriously, though, I'm not looking to deliberately bring financial ruin down on the guy. I just don't like the idea of part of my money going to pay the bills of a homophobic zealot like this and underwriting his hate campaign, no matter how small a contribution it may be. That's why I stopped buying his books once I became aware of his views. On the other hand, I would support a large scale, organized boycott, something that sends out the specific message, 'We're not buying this, and this is why', so companies get the message that associating their game with OSC is a good way to lose sales. The point wouldn't be to hurt OSC to make him 'pay' for his views. It would be to apply pressure on him to stop publicly pursuing his agenda of discrimination and hate.

A person can be as hateful and bigoted as they want in the privacy of their own mind, and there's not much anybody can do about it. Education can only go so far. But discouraging them from fanning those flames of resentment and intolerance in others is something we can do, and it's something that keeps the more rational voices from being drowned out.

sonicmj1 said:
You are right. They are not the same.

I feel that way because I share your perspective. Yet I would not be surprised if someone like Card felt that you were the one imposing your morality on him, forcing him to accept your definitions of marriage and your own secular moral code and reject aspects of his religion that he feels are vital. Even if you pointed out that what you do has no direct effect on what he does, it probably wouldn't change his stance. Certainly not after you called him a bigot.

You don't care what he thinks, because you've already dismissed him. Yet even if you believe the labels you apply to him are deserved, they don't help your cause.

I can understand how he would feel that way, but understanding a thing doesn't mean that you agree with it. If I felt that rational discourse with OSC and his supporters would potentially yield a breakthrough, I'd be happy to engage with them rationally. But these are people who feel that they have God on their side. Appeals to reason and logic aren't going to sway them. So your choices are pretty much to dig in your heels and stand up for what you believe in the face of that, or get steamrolled by the lockstep-marching juggernaut.

sonicmj1 said:
Let's look at your rationale for this boycott.

Do you think that Chair is clueless about Card's political affiliation? Do you think that after their last project with Card nearly killed Majesco, they care so much about the proceeds lost from this boycott that they will sacrifice their business partnership to appease you? Or will they (courageously?) stand behind a man they consider a friend in order to defend his ability to believe and pursue the political aims he chooses?)

Are you currently aware of any other developers that Card is partnering with in the industry?

And of all the people in the world, do you believe that this boycott will make Card reconsider his active stance against homosexuality? Or will an influx of what he perceives as intolerance simply make him redouble his stance, confident in the righteousness of his cause and more certain than ever of his need to defend it in the face of those who oppose him by throwing names at him?

The existence of this boycott has certainly raised awareness about Card's stances on these issues. What I do not believe it has done is constructively changed people's perceptions about the issue, or caused them to consider it any more deeply than they otherwise have. Saying that your opposition is "deserving of scorn" will not bring them over to your side.

If not giving Card a cent of your money helps you maintain your own moral compass, that's fine. But if you think you're going to change the minds of your opposition by demonizing them, you'll be disappointed.

I don't think an organized boycott would make Card reconsider his stance against homosexuality, no. Then again, that's not the point. Nor is bringing the opposition over to my side. I don't think that's possible, especially not in the case of people whose views on homosexuality are rooted in their faith. If the possibility of economic repercussions were to make OSC reconsider his public opposition to gay rights and decide against disseminating more of his hateful screeds on homosexuality, then I'd be more than satisfied. (EDIT: Note that I don't necessarily expect that, just that I feel that it's worth trying on the chance that it might yield some positive result.)

AkuMifune

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I do enjoy that bad hairstyles equate to stamping out gay marriage to you.

Look, fighting against gay marriage is a lost cause. Just like civil rights, given enough time we'll all look back and wonder how so many ignorant assholes existed. And I certainly agree that NOM is a hateful and wrong organization, but if you really care there are more direct ways of protesting it than trying to get people not to buy an XBL game that one member of that group (who didn't get a writing credit on IMDB) may or may not be involved in, or may or may not even be getting proceeds from.

On top of all that lies the notion in this thread that we should investigate where all the proceeds from all the things we buy is going and only purchase things from people whose ideas and beliefs we support. That sounds kinda socialist to me.

KHarvey16

The Blue Jihad said:
Thank you. Now, how much would OSC actually be receiving for the game? I'd agree that any amount would be too much from your point of view, but are there any actual numbers? It would help to put things into perspective.

Also, you aren't trying to change his opinions, sure, but if you're boycotting the game because you disagree with him, then you are protesting his (admittedly vile) viewpoint. Now is a boycott of Shadow Complex the best way to protest OSC's views? How does the loss of a game sale drive the point home? Are you doing anything beyond merely not buying the game? I understand it's a personal judgment, but if your disagreement is this profound, it seems only natural to take it a step further and speak out against what he espouses.

I don't know how much he's being paid or was paid. If he wasn't receiving anything I assume they would have let us know.

The fact we disagree isn't enough. I disagree with a lot of people, and I'm sure they make games too. It's an AND type of equation, we disagree AND he has the ability and motivation to influence things in a way many people cannot. My goal is to not give OSC any of my money and not buying this game is absolute assurance of that.

AkuMifune said:

In other words, "I have nothing intelligent to say, so I'll marginalize the opposition instead! HAHAHA that'll show em!"

Good going. If you care so little that accurately characterizing the argument on the other side is so unimportant to you, why not just leave and get on with your life instead?

AkuMifune said:

Yay, someone didn't fucking read. Excellent.

eznark said:
And my biggest fear, after skimming this thread and the comments over there, is that this issue has struck a cord with Chris Remo and will thus bog down Idle Thumbs. Hopefully Big Bird and the guy who doesn't play video games will prevent this from happening.
Jake "Big Bird" Rodkin is the guy who doesn't play video games! Nick Breckon is the other guy.

Also, we just recorded this week's Thumbs and no such bog has been entered!

Wizman23

Banned
For all you "heroes" that boycotted you all realize the hundreds, if not thousands of purchases for this game because of this thread right? 2 huge threads on the front page of GAF for Shadow Complex for at least the past 5 days mean big sales. I'm not talking about the people who claim to buy more copies in spite of this thread either. I'm talking about the uninformed 360 owner who never heard of this game, saw this thread, downloaded the trial, and then immediately purchased it. OP made Chair a ton of $$. Congrats.

Wizman23 said:
For all you "heroes" that boycotted you all realize the hundreds, if not thousands of purchases for this game because of this thread right? 2 huge threads on the front page of GAF for Shadow Complex for at least the past 5 days mean big sales. I'm not talking about the people who claim to buy more copies in spite of this thread either. I'm talking about the uninformed 360 owner who never heard of this game, saw this thread, downloaded the trial, and then immediately purchased it. OP made Chair a ton of $$. Congrats.
Have you honestly read the arguments made by the people who have boycotted?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Big-E said:
I already admitted that I bought this game and would not have if this thread was posted the day the game released. I bought it so I played it.

So, basically what you're saying is that even after you read the thread your sense of value is greater than your sense of morality.

Top Bottom