• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should we boycott Shadow Complex?

plagiarize said:
no one should be made to feel guilty for buying something that's the sum product of a team just because one of the people involved is a schmuck. certainly not if they actively champion a cause.

I wasn't aware that was happening. I only started posting on the last two pages when people were talking about this being unfair to Chair. It isn't.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I didn't think I was being a giant dick. You presumed that I didn't know appropriate ways to go about my activism, which is pretty damned insulting. I replied saying that you don't know my history so you probably shouldn't assume things. That's being a dick? No, no, no, no, no sir... this is being a dick.

Go fuck yourself with a belt sander!
where did i say you didn't know how to go about activism? not knowing that you are an activist on the level of Gandhi, i threw out some advice which as you yourself have to admit i had no way of knowing if you'd heard before, or lived by, or had tattooed on the inside of your eyelids.

you threw it back in my face with self righteous 'YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW AMAZING AN ACTIVIST' i am clap trap.

you are proposing i never give advice to anyone ever again unless i somehow perform an in depth character study on them first, you know, just in case they already know and live by that advice and get upset.

fuck that.

Doodis

Fourth Stooge said:
I have contributed to the stupidity of this thread, in some ways intentionally (and in other ways it probably just comes naturally to me). I am not apologizing though.

I just don't take it seriously. Why should I? I see it as more Mormon-bashing. Were Mormons the only ones who voted for Prop 8 (as if all of THEM vote the same way)? Were they the only ones who donated money? I have seen no calls to boycott Latino businesses, even those that donated in support of Prop 8. No protests at black churches. None. Yet both groups helped decide the vote even more than Mormons. The focus is on a rather small convenient minority. If there had been no Mormons in California, guess what? No difference. Those other two groups...well...let's not go there.

But I will go there. Perhaps it is because both blacks and Latinos tend to vote Democratic, and the Prop 8 opponents don't want to anger their usual allies. If that is the case and you are unwilling to speak out as forcefully against your usual allies, the issue must not be that important. Other issues are apparently more important to you so I will join you in those issues first. Pardon me if I do not admire your courage and join your cause. I see too much convenience and temporizing.

There is just this obsessive blaming of Mormons (how many times have "Mormons" been mentioned in this thread as if they were some alien creatures?). If you need any evidence of that, look at post #22 of this thread. A link to boycottmormonbusiness.com. A list of people of a certain religion. Lists like that make me nervous. The people who make lists like that, and those who follow them, make me even more nervous. Notice it is not "boycott those who opposed Prop 8." Just the Mormons, even if they individually took no position at all in the vote or voted against. It is a boycott of a religion. I see no lists of other groups that favored Prop 8. Hmmm...if there was a list of gay businesses...what would be the reaction...

Why isn't there a list of Nation of Islam businesses? I already know the answer. We all know the answer.

There are roughly 500,000 Mormons in California. That's about 1% of the state. I doubt that either their voting power or their powers of persuasion tipped the vote on Prop 8. Yet they are being blamed. Over and over again in this thread, it has been mentioned that Card is a Mormon. That is not even central to this issue so why mention it? Unless it is to identify him as someone different. And we have to oppose people who are different, don't we? He may be doing the same thing even if he was a black Muslim.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/12/its_time_to_speak_out_against.html

I don't disagree with your right to boycott. I disagree with the selectivity of the boycott. That is why I think it is a joke.

Pardon me if I do not praise you for your convictions. If you're really serious, go tell the Nation of Islam what you think of them. Go protest their meetings. Try to cut off their funds too.

As a Mormon, I appreciate this being posted. I often feel like we're vilified as a whole because of our religion. It's like thinking that all Muslims are terrorists. Far too often that name is used as some sort of backhanded derogatory label. Did any Jewish people vote for Prop 8? Probably. Were there Catholics? Most assuredly. But we don't see those groups being called out here.

Do I have gay friends? Sure do. Did I campaign for Prop 8? Sure didn't.

plagiarize said:
where did i say you didn't know how to go about activism? not knowing that you are an activist on the level of Gandhi, i threw out some advice which as you yourself have to admit i had no way of knowing if you'd heard before, or lived by, or had tattooed on the inside of your eyelids.

you threw it back in my face with self righteous 'YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW AMAZING AN ACTIVIST' i am clap trap.

you are proposing i never give advice to anyone ever again unless i somehow perform an in depth character study on them first, you know, just in case they already know and live by that advice and get upset.

fuck that.
I never put myself on the level of Gandhi, or Bill Gates, nor did I say I was an amazing activist. Knock it off, you're being an even bigger prick than me, and that takes some doing.

Doodis said:
As a Mormon, I appreciate this being posted. I often feel like we're vilified as a whole because of our religion. It's like thinking that all Muslims are terrorists. Far too often that name is used as some sort of backhanded derogatory label. Did any Jewish people vote for Prop 8? Probably. Were there Catholics? Most assuredly. But we don't see those groups being called out here.

Do I have gay friends? Sure do. Did I campaign for Prop 8? Sure didn't.

The anti-Mormon backlash came about because the church funded half of the campaign to make gay marriage illegal. There was also anti-black/latino/etc. sentiment, but that died out very quickly because there was no organized effort similar to the one championed from Utah.

LosDaddie

Banned
dollartaco said:
Point 3) Card's name comes up on one of the very first screens that appears when you start the game, I believe. At least, that's how I found he was involved with the project. It's an ad for his novel.

If that's true, then my decision to never buy Shadow Complex is even more concrete :D

dollartaco said:
I wasn't aware that was happening. I only started posting on the last two pages when people were talking about this being unfair to Chair. It isn't.
if Chair was some faceless conglomeration then sure it wouldn't be unfair to Chair.

except Chair is a company made up of human beings with different opinions and feelings and fears and needs. it is a company where some people have lots of power at one end of the scale and at the other end of the scale are people with little to no power no doubt worrying about keeping their jobs... and you can bet that any budget shortfall won't be taken on the chin by the decision makers.

if you'd found out that Chair wouldn't work with people based on their religious beliefs, you may not have been part of the detractors calling them out for that, but do you think think those people would be wrong?

even OSC is a much more complex person than just his position on one view point that you may or may not disagree with. i disagree with him, but that doesn't make his life's work invalid.

even here he is vilified beyond his actual viewpoints and opinions. i disagree with the man, but i'd much sooner sit down and have a dialogue with him about it than to boycott everything remotely associated with him.

do you boycott everything remotely related to an anti gay marriage position? if not, why do you boycott the things you do, and not the other things? your own ignorance? your own definitions of what constitutes too far? i'm not asking these rhetorically. i genuinely want to know.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't this game only based off his novel? Is he, or the cause he fights for, benefit from any royalities?

dollartaco said:
The anti-Mormon backlash came about because the church funded half of the campaign to make gay marriage illegal. There was also anti-black/latino/etc. sentiment, but that died out very quickly because there was no organized effort similar to the one championed from Utah.
i think the truth of the matter is much sadder.

those sentiments died out much quicker, because unlike anti-black/latino/etc sentiment, anti Mormon sentiment isn't a big social no no. just the same as with anti homosexual sentiment.

i wouldn't commit one to fight the other.

mollipen

ggnoobIGN said:
Less than half of Americans support gay marriage. We're going to be doing a lot of boycotting.

Well hey... less than half of Americans support gay marriage! No reason to fight then, right?

pr070816i.gif

Gallup's long-term trend on this question documents a sea change in public attitudes about interracial marriage. In 1958, only 4% of Americans said they approved of marriages between whites and blacks. (The precise wording of the Gallup question has changed across the decades as the commonly accepted descriptive terms for blacks have changed; when Gallup first asked the question in 1958, the poll wording was, "whites and non-whites.") Approval gradually increased over the next few decades, but at least half of Americans disapproved of black-white unions through 1983. Then, in the next measure eight years later, disapproval had fallen to 42%, with 48% approving. In 1997, the next time Gallup asked the question, approval had jumped well into the majority, with nearly two in three Americans saying they approved of marriages between blacks and whites. Disapproval fell to 27% in that same year. Support remained at about the two-thirds level until 2002, but increased to 73% in 2003. Since then, there have only been modest variations in attitudes about interracial marriages.

Coins

Banned
Fourth Stooge said:
I have contributed to the stupidity of this thread, in some ways intentionally (and in other ways it probably just comes naturally to me). I am not apologizing though.

I just don't take it seriously. Why should I? I see it as more Mormon-bashing. Were Mormons the only ones who voted for Prop 8 (as if all of THEM vote the same way)? Were they the only ones who donated money? I have seen no calls to boycott Latino businesses, even those that donated in support of Prop 8. No protests at black churches. None. Yet both groups helped decide the vote even more than Mormons. The focus is on a rather small convenient minority. If there had been no Mormons in California, guess what? No difference. Those other two groups...well...let's not go there.

But I will go there. Perhaps it is because both blacks and Latinos tend to vote Democratic, and the Prop 8 opponents don't want to anger their usual allies. If that is the case and you are unwilling to speak out as forcefully against your usual allies, the issue must not be that important. Other issues are apparently more important to you so I will join you in those issues first. Pardon me if I do not admire your courage and join your cause. I see too much convenience and temporizing.

There is just this obsessive blaming of Mormons (how many times have "Mormons" been mentioned in this thread as if they were some alien creatures?). If you need any evidence of that, look at post #22 of this thread. A link to boycottmormonbusiness.com. A list of people of a certain religion. Lists like that make me nervous. The people who make lists like that, and those who follow them, make me even more nervous. Notice it is not "boycott those who opposed Prop 8." Just the Mormons, even if they individually took no position at all in the vote or voted against. It is a boycott of a religion. I see no lists of other groups that favored Prop 8. Hmmm...if there was a list of gay businesses...what would be the reaction...

Why isn't there a list of Nation of Islam businesses? I already know the answer. We all know the answer.

There are roughly 500,000 Mormons in California. That's about 1% of the state. I doubt that either their voting power or their powers of persuasion tipped the vote on Prop 8. Yet they are being blamed. Over and over again in this thread, it has been mentioned that Card is a Mormon. That is not even central to this issue so why mention it? Unless it is to identify him as someone different. And we have to oppose people who are different, don't we? He may be doing the same thing even if he was a black Muslim.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/12/its_time_to_speak_out_against.html

I don't disagree with your right to boycott. I disagree with the selectivity of the boycott. That is why I think it is a joke.

Pardon me if I do not praise you for your convictions. If you're really serious, go tell the Nation of Islam what you think of them. Go protest their meetings. Try to cut off their funds too.

Yeah, 500K Mormons in California arent a lot. What about the Mormons in Utah and their churches who took it upon themselves to fund, sway and get out the vote in a state they dont even live in?

plagiarize said:
if Chair was some faceless conglomeration then sure it wouldn't be unfair to Chair.

except Chair is a company made up of human beings with different opinions and feelings and fears and needs. it is a company where some people have lots of power at one end of the scale and at the other end of the scale are people with little to no power no doubt worrying about keeping their jobs... and you can bet that any budget shortfall won't be taken on the chin by the decision makers.

Not my problem. But this "boycott" will have no such effect.

even OSC is a much more complex person than just his position on one view point that you may or may not disagree with. i disagree with him, but that doesn't make his life's work invalid.

Already said the game's great. I don't blame anybody for staying away from it based on its associations.

do you boycott everything remotely related to an anti gay marriage position? if not, why do you boycott the things you do, and not the other things? your own ignorance? your own definitions of what constitutes too far? i'm not asking these rhetorically. i genuinely want to know.

I earn my money and I get to choose where to spend it. If I don't want to support a person or a company, I won't. This isn't some crazy or complicated system of behavior.

shidoshi said:
Well hey... less than half of Americans support gay marriage! No reason to fight then, right?
sorry, i forgot that black rights were achieved through boycotting products made in part by people that were against equal rights for black people.

plagiarize said:
i think the truth of the matter is much sadder.

those sentiments died out much quicker, because unlike anti-black/latino/etc sentiment, anti Mormon sentiment isn't a big social no no. just the same as with anti homosexual sentiment.

i wouldn't commit one to fight the other.

It was pretty much because the Church of LDS committed millions of dollars to support Prop 8.

Asmodai

Banned
dollartaco said:

Already said the game's great. I don't blame anybody for staying away from it based on its associations.

I earn my money and I get to choose where to spend it. If I don't want to support a person or a company, I won't. This isn't some crazy or complicated system of behavior.

Except you've inevitably given plenty of your money to bigots like Card unknowingly, and will continue to do so in the future. Do you think every anti-gay rights type has a giant label on their forehead that warns everyone to not give them money?

Asmodai said:
Except you've inevitably given plenty of your money to bigots like Card unknowingly, and will continue to do so in the future. Do you think every anti-gay rights type has a giant label on their forehead that warns everyone to not give them money?

I wish they did!

dollartaco said:
the boycott itself will have no effect. no argument there. it may encourage people into doing things that will actually make a difference by provoking discussion, and some of those other actions might ensure that people with nothing to do with the issue aren't accidentally targeted too.

this game has a crap story. whether he wrote it or not is besides the point at this juncture, it's based on his works and his name was used talking about it.

i meant more along the lines of damn any other causes he championed. damn anything else he makes charitable donations to.

i get that. what i don't know is your methodology. how do you gauge where to draw those lines? how do you decide who not to support?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
plagiarize said:
sorry, i forgot that black rights were achieved through boycotting products made in part by people that were against equal rights for black people.

You're right, I'm sure not everyone who worked for the Montgomery bus company was racist.

Someone tell King he was wrong and should feel bad.

Stalfos

Don't know if I'll boycott the game, I can't even download it right now since my 360 is on a university network which blocks the marketplace. However, thanks for making this thread and making me aware of the person that OSC is. I have only purchased one of his books previously but because of this thread I will no longer consider buying any of his other books.

Asmodai

Banned
dollartaco said:
I wish they did!

If we're going by wishes, why not wish that intolerant people simply didn't exist in the first place? :lol

And I'd want my own private space shuttle, and volcano fortress. And remember, use the first wish to wish for infinite wishes!

Stalfos said:
Don't know if I'll boycott the game, I can't even download it right now since my 360 is on a university network which blocks the marketplace. However, thanks for making this thread and making me aware of the person that OSC is. I have only purchased one of his books previously but because of this thread I will no longer consider buying any of his other books.

Now this is a boycott we can all agree on. Or maybe most of us. I'd never buy a book by OSC. Not just because of his ridiculous stances on gay marriage, but also because he was quoted as justifying terrorism. And because he's not a good author to begin with.

plagiarize said:
this game has a crap story. whether he wrote it or not is besides the point at this juncture, it's based on his works and his name was used talking about it.

i meant more along the lines of damn any other causes he championed. damn anything else he makes charitable donations to.

Well, I enjoyed Ender's Game. He's a gifted storyteller and I like his work. If he was fucking terrible, it wouldn't be a boycott. Nobody gave a shit about Dyack's feelings when they didn't buy Too Human.

i get that. what i don't know is your methodology. how do you gauge where to draw those lines? how do you decide who not to support?

I mentioned that it wasn't complicated. As in complex, rather that difficult to understand. If I hear Person X has something to do with Product Y, I do what I can to avoid Y. I'm not an ethical paragon -- it's just a matter of where I'd like to spend my money. Others here probably feel differently.

Coins

Banned
bill0527 said:
This is bullshit. What you're doing here is the same thing that Kharvey and others are accusing everyone else of being WRONG to do.

You're taking one argument and extrapolating something else out of it.

Just because you believe in X, it must also logically conclude that you believe in Y.

Frankly, both sides of this argument have more in common than they do in their differences.

You're all nothing more than 2 different sides of the same coin and this is why this country is just about as divided as I've ever seen it in my 35 years. The demagoguery and hypocrisy by the extremists from both sides have completely drowned out any semblance of sanity that can be found in the middle.

What youre saying is bullshit. Minorities are minorities. Whites didnt give two fucks about blacks until some "activist" judges got involved, didnt give a fuck if it was popular or not, didnt give a fuck it there was a vote or not, and made some changes.

No we have another minority who wants some goddamn equal rights which they deserve and we got "well, im not gay so i dont give a fuck about gay marriage!". Its the same fucking sentiment. Judges in California decided to do the right thing and grant gays marriage, then some fucking asshole, homophobes said, "Its not fair! We want to vote on this." Fuck that. Fuck homophobes who want the people to vote on this instead of just accepting that minorities deserve equal rights, fuck the Mormon church for getting involved, and fuck OSC for dumping money into Prop 8 to ensure that rights were taken away from Americans.

Stalfos

Asmodai said:
Sure we all do it plenty unknowingly, but that doesn't diminish the fact that a person can choose not to when given the knowledge of who their money will be going to.

Asmodai

Banned
Coins said:
What youre saying is bullshit. Minorities are minorities. Whites didnt give two fucks about blacks until some "activist" judges got involved, didnt give a fuck if it was popular or not, didnt give a fuck it there was a vote or not, and made some changes.

No we have another minority who wants some goddamn equal rights which they deserve and we got "well, im not gay so i dont give a fuck about gay marriage!". Its the same fucking sentiment. Judges in California decided to do the right thing and grant gays marriage, then some fucking asshole, homophobes said, "Its not fair! We want to vote on this." Fuck that. Fuck homophobes who want the people to vote on this instead of just accepting that minorities deserve equal rights, fuck the Mormon church for getting involved, and fuck OSC for dumping money into Prop 8 to ensure that rights were taken away from Americans.

Why not blame the Americans for voting to take away their rights? Seems you blamed everyone there except who was actually responsible: the Californian voters.

Personally, I think California's referendum system is beyond retarded. It's put their state into financial disaster, because the idiotic citizens vote to increase government spending and freeze tax income with the same hand.

Asmodai said:
If we're going by wishes, why not wish that intolerant people simply didn't exist in the first place? :lol

And I'd want my own private space shuttle, and volcano fortress. And remember, use the first wish to wish for infinite wishes!

Now this is a boycott we can all agree on. Or maybe most of us. I'd never buy a book by OSC. Not just because of his ridiculous stances on gay marriage, but also because he was quoted as justifying terrorism. And because he's not a good author to begin with.
i was more upset with him saying we should over throw the government if they redefine marriage in a way he doesn't like.

Asmodai said:
Why not blame the Americans for voting to take away their rights? Seems you blamed everyone there except who was actually responsible: the Californian voters.

Personally, I think California's referendum system is beyond retarded. It's put their state into financial disaster, because the idiotic citizens vote to increase government spending and freeze tax income with the same hand.
i was very, VERY disappointed that prop 8 passed. and yes, i blame the people that didn't go out and vote against it at least as much as the people that went door to door and spent money on advertisements to ensure that supporters of prop 8 would go out and vote.

it wasn't just hate that got prop 8 passed.

it was apathy.

why should the general public get to vote about something that doesn't directly effect them? it makes no sense.

Coins

Banned
Asmodai said:

I dont blame them for voting. I dont blame people for having opinions and when given the opportunity to express it, they do.

I blame organizations (the Mormon church) and wealthy people (ohhhh lets see, OSC) who not only just express their opinions, but go to a state they dont even fucking live in and buy votes to go their way. I blame them for telling people LIES about gay people to scare people.

If this were an organization telling us that blacks were inferior, it wouldnt even be tolerated! Why do we accept this? Because OSC blogs all the time about how homosexuals are wrong. Since the Old Testament can be interpreted to saying as much, it must be true!! Im glad theres nothing in the bible about blacks being inferior!

So no, I dont feel bad for boycotting a fucking piece of 15 dollar entertainment since OSC was involved.

Dude Abides

Banned
plagiarize said:

it was apathy.

And bad organizing and strategy. The good guys didn't mobilize very well and they didn't do a good job connecting the issue to real live gay individuals who would be affected.

Asmodai

Banned
plagiarize said:
i was more upset with him saying we should over throw the government if they redefine marriage in a way he doesn't like.

That's the statement I was referring to.

He said he would try to "destroy" any government that passes gay marriage.

Gay marriage is a political issue. Violence with a political means is terrorism. OSC tried to justify terrorism in his statement. That's by far the worst thing he's ever said.

And even worse, what does that mean with regard to countries like my own, Canada, where gay marriage IS legal and has been for years? Does this mean that OSC would like to be rid of nations like mine, if it were possible?

It doesn't get much more despicable than that.

Coins said:
I dont blame them for voting. I dont blame people for having opinions and when given the opportunity to express it, they do.

I blame organizations (the Mormon church) and wealthy people (ohhhh lets see, OSC) who not only just express their opinions, but go to a state they dont even fucking live in and buy votes to go their way. I blame them for telling people LIES about gay people to scare people.

If this were an organization telling us that blacks were inferior, it wouldnt even be tolerated! Why do we accept this? Because OSC blogs all the time about how homosexuals are wrong. Since the Old Testament can be interpreted to saying as much, it must be true!! Im glad theres nothing in the bible about blacks being inferior!

So no, I dont feel bad for boycotting a fucking piece of 15 dollar entertainment since OSC was involved.

This is understandable, but you still aren't blaming the one thing that allowed Prop 8 to be passed: the Californian system of referendums.

Without that system, Prop 8 would have never existed, the voters would have never got their opportunity to vote, end of story.

Direct democracy is not a good idea, and California's system is the best example of why it's not a good idea.

I felt the the problem with Prop 8 was that the gay community didn't have a defined "leader" or anything to help and guide them to equal rights.

I've always wondered who would step up to the plate.

Asmodai

Banned
Stalfos said:
Well actually in the Book of Mormon there is.

I have no knowledge of the Book of Mormon, can you give me a link to said passage?

plagiarize said:
i was very, VERY disappointed that prop 8 passed. and yes, i blame the people that didn't go out and vote against it at least as much as the people that went door to door and spent money on advertisements to ensure that supporters of prop 8 would go out and vote.

it was apathy.

why should the general public get to vote about something that doesn't directly effect them? it makes no sense.

Again, California's referendum system is most like a system of direct democracy rather than representative democracy.

Thing is, direct democracy is a bad idea because the average voter is politically ignorant. Representatives are often morons, but they are rarely AS ignorant as the average voter. (there are exceptions, of course)

Coins said:
You know, since you are the thread starter here, you have yet to explain how you know OSC was directly involved with Shadow Complex the game. Maybe I've just missed it in this mess. Or are you just going off of Gaygamer's statement on the matter and simply following their lead that OSC will receive payment from the sale of Shadow Complex?

mik

mik is unbeatable
When we cleaned out my grandma's basement after she died, she actually still had a copy of this book:

31QD795gHPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Good times.

Top Bottom