• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2012 Edition

Izick

IMG_0586.jpg

RVyP9.gif

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I think something metallic like this one here would look much better with your set up.
Or if he didn't want to buy something, priming and painting his current shelf that colour would make it look better also. That's of course if he doesn't make a mess while painting it. :p

Hellish

Can anyone help me out? I can't seem to find it (not sure which year it was either) but it was a condo/apartment with huge ceilings, dark floors, and relatively empty with some stainless steal appliances, and big metal vent/tube above, it was like a living room / kitchen.

Can anyone help me out? I can't seem to find it (not sure which year it was either) but it was a condo/apartment with huge ceilings, dark floors, and relatively empty with some stainless steal appliances, and big metal vent/tube above, it was like a living room / kitchen.

This one?

Maybe not it. I remember the one you're talking about though.

Shining

We're currently repainting the livingroom so i have no pic of my setup, but here's a pic of the collection and close-ups of the retro games. And no, none of the games are sealed. Just very well protected :p

Shelf

SNES

SFC and loose carts (Terraniga, FFV, Starfox 2 and Treasure of the Rudras - translated repros)

Genesis

NES

Famicom and loose carts

PC Engine (Sapphire is the "second print" version)

The almighty XRGB-Mini FrameMeister scaler is a must for retro gaming on modern TV's

Shining

shining, any link for that XRGB?

looks ideal for me...I'd play so many more retros if not for lack of old school crt
It really is ideal when you have no room for a CRT. It should be said, though, that if you are willing to shell out money on this thing you really should invest in RGB cables as well. But that's a given for most of us retro fanatics. NES over composite and with scanlines enabled on the Mini looks great as well!

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/framemeister.html is great for info on the Mini, as already stated.
This thread over at Shmups.com is a great source for even more info.
http://www.solarisjapan.com is where i ordered mine.

Tess3ract

Banned
Scanline emulation is the worst thing.

In every single image comparison on that site, the non-scanlines one looks better.

There is simply too much distraction and detail loss by the inclusion of scanlines:

framemeister_16bit.jpg

jbueno

In every single image comparison on that site, the non-scanlines one looks better.

There is simply too much distraction and detail loss by the inclusion of scanlines:

framemeister_16bit.jpg

Old games are designed to be played in displays that have scanlines natively though, it kind of makes the experience more authentic. Though I can definitely see how one might dislike the emulated scanlines look.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is that a real Togo?

tumblr_mb9jq7J1oP1r21i5ro1_250.gif

The real deal. Although expensive up front, it will last tens of years. It's now 4 years old, used intensively, and shows absolutely no wear, loosening or change in figure. And if I decide to sell it, it will have a really good resell value. Always go for genuine classics when given a chance, it's cheaper in the long run.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

framemeister_16bit.jpg
Detail loss? You can't lose detail that isn't there.

I agree that it doesn't look as good as an actual CRT, however.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Anyone know the name of the third game?

I'm getting nostalgia's the fuck out, but can't remember name

eso76

Nah, the scan lines sshots are a lot better.
Non scan lines ones only look a lot more pixelated than they shoild, not more detailed, and the best pixel artists would draw their sprites taking the effect of scan lines into consideration, so while not as good as playing on a real CRT emulated scan lines are the way to go for your retro gaming.
They're just mandatory.

eso76

I can only understand them for Arcade games which tended to have scanlines. But for SNES games, no, just no.

Unless you were playing your SNES games on a TV from the future, they sure as hell did too. Maybe you only noticed in the arcades because your face was closer to the screen.

It is just hard to bite a $600+ bullet for retro gaming when you can get a 32" Sony wega for under $50 on craigslist. Very happy to have mine.

I don't have a ton of space where I am right now, and I just have everything in my bedroom (except the Wii and PlayStation 3), so it's not the nicest looking setup, but here:

Everything except the NES, Master System, Atari 7800, and Genesis/CD/32X are hooked up with S-video cables. And yes, they are all hooked up and ready to go at a moments notice!

Also, besides the Master System and Atari 7800, which I bought over the last year and half or so, I bought all of them during their original lifespan.

And here's where I have my Wii and PlayStation 3:

If you're interested in seeing my game collection, click here. And a video tour here (it's a bit outdated, though).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It loses detail because you cover the screen in black lines.
Right, but that's how it was designed to be viewed.

Of course, I don't USE scanline emulation, I only use a real low definition CRT for my retro games. It's the only way to play.

On a CRT, pixel edges are not harsh and completely square as you would see while emulating on a modern display. It has a very distinct look that can't be replicated using emulators.

I can only understand them for Arcade games which tended to have scanlines. But for SNES games, no, just no.
Uhh, SNES games had them just the same as any arcade game from that era. Everything from the PSX/Saturn/N64 era and prior generally used 240p output which would display scanlines on an SDTV.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Anyone know the name of the third game?

I'm getting nostalgia's the fuck out, but can't remember name

Adventure Island.

And I didn't use to be a scanline sorta guy. But then I realized that they were a good thing, and that games back in 'the day were designed with them. So... I use them.

I need a FlameMeister. I'm kinda wondering if I should even hang onto the XRGB-3 once I get one.

God, I'm fucking drunk.

entremet

Unless you were playing your SNES games on a TV from the future, they sure as hell did too. Maybe you only noticed in the arcades because your face was closer to the screen.

Right, but that's how it was designed to be viewed.

Of course, I don't USE scanline emulation, I only use a real low definition CRT for my retro games. It's the only way to play.

On a CRT, pixel edges are not harsh and completely square as you would see while emulating on a modern display. It has a very distinct look that can't be replicated using emulators.

Uhh, SNES games had them just the same as any arcade game from that era. Everything from the PSX/Saturn/N64 era and prior generally used 240p output which would display scanlines on an SDTV.

I guess I wasn't too close to the TV. Playing VC games on my plasma and I really don't miss them.

Kreunt

Banned
XhMpE.jpg

YQORU.jpg

24" Samsung LED
24" Benq
40" Samsung Series 6 LED

AMD 1100t @ 4GHz
2x 6950's with unlocked shaders
1x 120gb Intel 520 series
2x 2TB Seagates
1x 1TB Samsung
Logitech K800 keyboard and Performance MX mouse

Audio-Techica ATH-AD900 headphones
old Wharfedale Delta 50.3 speakers

Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 head
custom built cab with an Eminence 400 watt @ 8ohm 12" and 60watt compression driver

Banana Boat Ultra SPF 30+, for superior non-greasy sun protection.

Building a larger desk soon, need a better chair too

xJavonta

Banned
snip

24" Samsung LED
24" Benq
40" Samsung Series 6 LED

AMD 1100t @ 4GHz
2x 6950's with unlocked shaders
1x 120gb Intel 520 series
2x 2TB Seagates
1x 1TB Samsung
Logitech K800 keyboard and Performance MX mouse

Audio-Techica ATH-AD900 headphones
old Wharfedale Delta 50.3 speakers

Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 head
custom built cab with an Eminence 400 watt @ 8ohm 12" and 60watt compression driver

Banana Boat Ultra SPF 30+, for superior non-greasy sun protection.

Building a larger desk soon, need a better chair too

I like it!

I hate wires, yet I hate the lag and battery charging with wireless. Need better cable management. My initial setup was much cleaner with no visible cables at all, with just the PS3 in the cabinet. Decided to test out surround system and PC. This is just a sloppy "toss everything and see if it works".

It works. Cable management comes later down the week.

View from the seat, running Sleeping Dogs on PC, with PS3 controller emulated as 360 controller:

Top Bottom