• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BANGS

Banned
Lol,ok,about my posters... They are not blurry. They are about as sharp as they can be considering they are hi res scans of box art from the 80's. The ink and paper the seller used are top notch,as good as any movie poster. I still have one left to put up,just need a frame.
xcu3Rkh.jpg
I never doubted you lmfao

It can be blurred over a dedicated screen. I don't think any would argue about contrast ratio etc vs a oled or high end display. But as someone who has all of them, there is definitely some games that are better on a 170+ vs 50"+ 4k screen. One of those are driving game which I can tell he is a fan of.
I have both, and will share soon, but there are pros and cons to both depending on what you are doing.
Cinemascope on first person shooters will make you lose your lunch, on other 3rd person like Rebel Galaxy..... you will never want to go back.

Hey Mihos,

I just ordered a projector and was wondering if you have any tips about gaming on a projector. The screen I ordered is 100".
Is there anything you wish you would've known before?

Mihos

Gold Member
Hey Mihos,

I just ordered a projector and was wondering if you have any tips about gaming on a projector. The screen I ordered is 100".
Is there anything you wish you would've known before?

It's pretty straight forward. Most of the same things you look for are the same as you would for regular displays. As far as layout, if you are ceiling mounting, don't scrimp on the HDMI cable, get a good one. If you are using a screen with 1:3 gain, you won't want any light sources to the front of the screen (PS4 controllers even cast a hue).

If you PC game, learn to down sample, makes a world of difference. If you have the means or are looking for a good upgrade , look at getting a cinema scope 21:9 screen and a projector with lens memory like an Epson 5040ub or greater. Gaming at ultra wide screen on a projector is crazy. I was also amazed how good gaming in 3D is on that projector. I had a BenQ 1070w befor the Epson, and the frame rate wasn't quite good enough, but with the Espon I can get 60hz even with 3D on, although I lose the 4k.

It's pretty straight forward. Most of the same things you look for are the same as you would for regular displays. As far as layout, if you are ceiling mounting, don't scrimp on the HDMI cable, get a good one. If you are using a screen with 1:3 gain, you won't want any light sources to the front of the screen (PS4 controllers even cast a hue).

If you PC game, learn to down sample, makes a world of difference. If you have the means or are looking for a good upgrade , look at getting a cinema scope 21:9 screen and a projector with lens memory like an Epson 5040ub or greater. Gaming at ultra wide screen on a projector is crazy. I was also amazed how good gaming in 3D is on that projector. I had a BenQ 1070w befor the Epson, and the frame rate wasn't quite good enough, but with the Espon I can get 60hz even with 3D on, although I lose the 4k.

Thank you for the detailed answer. That's very helpful.
For now I went with the "budget" home cinema. I ordered a 100" Elite Screen Spectrum Tab Tension and a Xiaomi LED 1080p projector.
If I like it I will probably upgrade later.

I will share some pictures of the set-up here once the projector arrived from China and I have set it up.

Mihos

Gold Member
Thank you for the detailed answer. That's very helpful.
For now I went with the "budget" home cinema. I ordered a 100" Elite Screen Spectrum Tab Tension and a Xiaomi LED 1080p projector.
If I like it I will probably upgrade later.

I will share some pictures of the set-up here once the projector arrived from China and I have set it up.

I had the motorize 100" Elite Screen before, good job on going for the tensioned. My 'post your setup' from last year shows the motorized one and it curled a bit on the sides.

I moved up to a 158" 2.35 screen after a few years on the 100" and went tensioned as well. I may repost one for this year, but not too much has changed since last year outside of the projector and screen.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
You know how annoying it is to press all those Input 1, Input 2 buttons to see which one is your game? Or getting remotes mixed up? Me neither!

0d786344-7cf4-4a92-858cle.jpeg

Got these custom buttons done for our Crestron remotes. The remotes say which room they are for on the top. The inputs are named. And we can even set lighting scenes and curtains with the same remotes. They are backlit with motion sensors to save batteries.

Stexor

Neo Member
Hp7xocT.jpg

LvSK8SC.jpg

Haven't made a screenshot of my setup in a while, this thread reminded me of it. I have 11 consoles hooked up at the same time to my tv lol.
Nice to know i'm not the only one who has a Ninja Gaiden poster.

Last edited:
I had the motorize 100" Elite Screen before, good job on going for the tensioned. My 'post your setup' from last year shows the motorized one and it curled a bit on the sides.

I moved up to a 158" 2.35 screen after a few years on the 100" and went tensioned as well. I may repost one for this year, but not too much has changed since last year outside of the projector and screen.

I did a lot of research into the topic of projector screens and as a framed one is unfortunately no option I went with the tensioned one. But it seems that they curl as well, so there is probably no perfect solution unless you pay € 1000+ on a screen.

I checked out your post in the 2017 thread. That's quite an impressive setup!

DonF

My dudes, is it possible if some of you start posting your cable management solutions? I currently own a ps4 pro, a nintendo switch and a soundbar, all hooked to a 4k tv and im going crazy over the cables. I have my modem next to my tv, to hook the switch and ps4 with lan. I'm dying with all the cables. Like, the front looks neat but fuck all the cables...so many cables...

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
My dudes, is it possible if some of your start posting you cable management solutions? I currently own a ps4 pro, a nintendo switch and a soundbar, all hooked to a 4k tv and im going crazy over the cables. I have my modem next to my tv, to hook the switch and ps4 with lan. I'm dying with all the cables. Like, the front looks neat but fuck all the cables...so many cables...
As long as the front looks neat, the cables are managed IMO lol...

If I worried about the back of my entertainment center looking neat, I'd drive myself crazy. I just make sure they're not tangled or anything for easy uninstallation in the future as I do sometimes moves things around...

My dudes, is it possible if some of your start posting you cable management solutions? I currently own a ps4 pro, a nintendo switch and a soundbar, all hooked to a 4k tv and im going crazy over the cables. I have my modem next to my tv, to hook the switch and ps4 with lan. I'm dying with all the cables. Like, the front looks neat but fuck all the cables...so many cables...

You might want to check out this thread:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/how-to-do-cable-management-ot-unravel-the-possibilities.1318850/

wvnative

I just finished constructing my game room about a week ago in my new house. The lighting in these pics isn't the greatest, also excuse some of the stuff laying around on the couch/floor. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out! For context the shelves are 8ft long and it took me about 20 hours of work to complete them. Everything is hooked up through a Framemeister to a TCL 4k tv. Not pictured are my handhelds, I still haven't figured out how I want to display them.

NzBuWYW.jpg

RW0cxwy.jpg

Gg35GhT.jpg

Been browsing this thread for ideas for my own setup. You sir, are my favorite and have given me ideas on how to set up my game room.

Stexor

Neo Member
My dudes, is it possible if some of you start posting you cable management solutions? I currently own a ps4 pro, a nintendo switch and a soundbar, all hooked to a 4k tv and im going crazy over the cables. I have my modem next to my tv, to hook the switch and ps4 with lan. I'm dying with all the cables. Like, the front looks neat but fuck all the cables...so many cables...

I can't imagine that it's worse than mine. I have a real clusterfuck of cables on the behind.

mOxcPCm.jpg
H9F6p60.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This stuff took a while to afford and put together but I'm happy with where I'm at.

When I buy a house and have a dedicated room for this stuff I can look at getting some older hardware.

skafpPK.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This stuff took a while to afford and put together but I'm happy with where I'm at.

When I buy a house and have a dedicated room for this stuff I can look at getting some older hardware.

skafpPK.jpg

How are the curved screens compared to the normal ones? I was thinking of going with the LG C7 (or the newer variants in a few years), but is it worth it to go for a curved screen instead?

*SNIP*
Looks neato. One Question though, the controllers... aren't they a hassle to get out? Seems like when you grab the most left one, you'd pull the next one right with it, because of the "horns"...

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
How are the curved screens compared to the normal ones? I was thinking of going with the LG C7 (or the newer variants in a few years), but is it worth it to go for a curved screen instead?

Honestly, I only got it because the curved and flat were the exact same price when I looked at them and the viewing angles for other people seemed better with curved panels. When you're sat directly in front of it, you can't tell it's curved at all.

Looks neato. One Question though, the controllers... aren't they a hassle to get out? Seems like when you grab the most left one, you'd pull the next one right with it, because of the "horns"...

I only shoved the 3D glasses in there because I found them when tidying up - normally they don't get used so there's more breathing room for the pads! Also not sure how long I'll hold on to the VR dildo controllers, they kinda suck.

I decorated and designed my main setup back in 2007 (can’t believe it’s been 11 years!) but when creating it my main goal was to do something original, minimal, and also something that would age well as I find decorating year after year a right pain in the crack lol.

My main inspiration was from sci-fi flicks. For me, less is more, so I don’t believe in hanging pictures everywhere to fill wall spaces or having plants in every corner of the room. Do what you feel comfortable with.

As for reference, this is my main room/setup. As I say, I did this over 10 years ago now and it’s due for a change where I’ll probably go with darker colours, but I’m still happy with it. (Full kit list and other pics can be found here on my Blu-ray.com gallery)

ka7UG9o.jpg

wYJF1Qw.jpg
Looks like a render and not real it's crazy! Is that a white tiled floor? I'm guessing it's off limits to everyone bar you? It looks ridiculously clean! And those speakers! Obviously this is a very expensive setup but hats off to you it's pretty incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom