• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*sigh* … I'm reluctant to buy a single PS4 game from now on.

Grinchy

Banned
Don't know what to do.

There are quite a few PS4 games I'm drooling for right now. Resident Evil 3, Ghosts of Tsushima, Final Fantasy VII, Devil May Cry V (had it on X1), MK11 (had it on X1), and 3-4 games as well.

But I'm worried it's going to be money badly spent because there are quite possibly going to be PS5 editions of those games - and since Sony has yet to clarify on its stance of whether a PS4 game will be upgraded to its PS5 edition (like MS announced for its 1st party games), I don't want to waste money on games I'll re-buy 6-12 months down the line.

On the other hand, those PS5 editions may not be day 1 PS5 games and it might take months or years to be re-mastered in PS5 editions. So, holding out for those games may end up taking a lot more time than I thought.

So, should I buy the PS4 versions of those games and risk having to buy them all over again for the PS5, or do I wait for - at least - a year before buying them once for the PS5?

*sigh* cross-gen timeframe was never more frustrating ...
I am so in the same boat. It has worked out pretty well for me, though. I'm getting very cheap copies of older games and loving them.

But, I have not played Read Dead 2, Death Stranding, misc others, and I am probably avoiding other upcoming big titles. Will these companies be charging for an all-new PS5 version? Or are they just patching the pS4 versions? We don't know, and I see no reason not to wait at this point.

Mista

Banned
There was literally nothing about your post that was fanboi, maybe they don't know what the word actually means.
I’ve got used to being called that by nobodies anyways. First Xbox fanboy then Playstation fanboy and maybe this time im a Nintendo fanboy who knows eh?

Kokoloko85

Im in the same boat.
I bought death stranded and after a few hours I was like... Ill play this on PS5 when I get a 4k TV for the first time.

Basically Death Stranding, Last of us 2 and Ghosts will be played on PS5 for me.
I have a backlog of games I need to finish, Red Dead, Titanfall 2, Spider manbe buying dreams.
Im having a retro RPG year and just got my saturn fixed so I have plenty to play till PS5

I mean you’ll still enjoy the game now right?

why are you buying blu rays when 4K is around the corner // why buy 4k when 8k is coming etc.

I used to be like this especially with my PC- I didn’t want to play games I couldn’t max out on my rig and was upgrading way too often because I was playing an “inferior” version. Just let it go and enjoy it. Or don’t buy new games and work on your backlog and pick them up on PS5! Either way you win!

Nickolaidas

why are you buying blu rays when 4K is around the corner // why buy 4k when 8k is coming etc.

Look, I get it. It's just that the timing is kinda risky.

Imagine the disappointment of certain people when Mass Effect 1 was an Xbox exclusive, they decided to buy an X-Box just for Mass Effect, and two weeks later the PC version got announced. Those people were like, UGH SERIOUSLY!!?!?

It's the same thing here. Next gen is right next door, and ports of AAA titles are more possible than ever. If PS4 was 1 year old, I wouldn't have this kind of conversation. I would fully agree with you.

Those games I intend to buy could more or less cost 400 bucks right now. That amount could easily go for the Series X or the PS5 itself. It's a pity to waste that money on inferior versions of games which (MAY) get next-gen versions 12-14 months from now.

But I'm worried it's going to be money badly spent because there are quite possibly going to be PS5 editions of those games - and since Sony has yet to clarify on its stance of whether a PS4 game will be upgraded to its PS5 edition (like MS announced for its 1st party games), I don't want to waste money on games I'll re-buy 6-12 months down the line.
Well, you know they will at the very least play on the PS5, so it's not like you lost something.... Also, third party games are unlikely to get upgrade patches on a large scale.

As for Sony exclusive titles, a lot of their OG PS4 games were patched for the PRO, even of they were released before the console, so I'm not sure what you are worried about, Sony are just not as verbose about these things (with MS everything they do is a "big deal", every little thing is a selling point from their point of view).
LOL Sony won't even let you refund pre orders for games that haven't even launched.
:messenger_loudly_crying:

CrisPy2019

I just bought new physical copies of:
Spiderman
Detroit
Uncharted lost legacy
GodOfWar
Horizon GOTY
MedEvil

For a total of 54€/$60 (incl. Taxes)

Just wait a bit and don't buy day1 and then you don't care about the $10-9€ per game because you can always sell them for 5 when you need to or just keep them for your collection.

Last edited:
Look, I get it. It's just that the timing is kinda risky.

Imagine the disappointment of certain people when Mass Effect 1 was an Xbox exclusive, they decided to buy an X-Box just for Mass Effect, and two weeks later the PC version got announced. Those people were like, UGH SERIOUSLY!!?!?

It's the same thing here. Next gen is right next door, and ports of AAA titles are more possible than ever. If PS4 was 1 year old, I wouldn't have this kind of conversation. I would fully agree with you.

Those games I intend to buy could more or less cost 400 bucks right now. That amount could easily go for the Series X or the PS5 itself. It's a pity to waste that money on inferior versions of games which (MAY) get next-gen versions 12-14 months from now.

Then... play other games that won’t affect you? You don’t have to play the upgraded version?

the mass effect example is so specific and you still have the benefit of having an xbox at the end of it. But I agree edge cases like that are annoying.

I think the thing is like-

Option 1- buy the game. You play an awesome game and have a great time with it. Separately from that, later, a better version of the game comes out which in no way diminishes what you just played. You may have to pay more for that. That also does not diminish your original purchase.

Option 2- don’t buy the games and wait. You get a clear view of the landscape and make a purchasing decision based on the announcements that may or may not happen. At worst you get to buy it later on PS4, presumably at a lower price as it’s been out a while and then get the ps5 upgrade. Or buy the new ps5 version if that’s a thing. While you are waiting - play old games or play the games unlikely to get an upgrade or you don’t care if they do (indies, multi, etc)

personally I’ll be waiting for reviews Specifically in regards to performance. Some games already feel really choppy on the base consoles and having the pro helps. I wonder if say, last of us 2 will run smoothly. If reviews say no- I’ll wait as it’s almost a sure thing that gets some version of a re release.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I don't think Sony and ms will re release recent current gen games.
If they did there would be far to much blowback, especially if MS did free enhanced BC patches and Sony didn't.

I think they will both do enhanced BC patches in there recent releases and games that use dynamic resolution will see benifits straight away.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Pre-order the games you want, if word comes out before they release that there will be PS5 versions, cancel. If you absolutely need to play the games right away just buy them, as long as you enjoy them that's all that matters and plus a PS5 version of the same game may not hit until 2021 so you may have to wait a while anyway. If you can wait, then just wait, and by the time PS5 releases Black Friday will be around that time so a lot of sales will be happening and you can maybe decide then.

jadedm17

Time spent is time wasted.

Much like Switch users jumping on board now : Im glad you saved $20 but i prefer having had 18 more months playing my Switch.

Technology is a river, you gotta jump. Personally - and im not a rich man - but id rather pay full retail on a PS4 copy of Last of Us Part 2 then wait a other second to experience that ride. You can wait if you need.

ethomaz

Banned
Backwards compatability will kill Remasters (At least from the last few gens)

There is just no point in remastering a game from this gen. They will look and run great on PS5.
There will be remasters.

TLOU2 will have a physical remaster on PS5 even if you can play TLOU2 PS4 on PS5.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah, I hear ya, not just about PlayStation though. I love video games but I've actually not played any since 1983, I'm waiting for my health to start deteriorating due to age (or any other reason, knock on wood, haha) before I jump back in all to ensure I play the best versions made available in my lifetime, whether that means tracking down the original game and platform, or emulating it, or a remaster or even a remake since those can sometimes make the original obsolete (and often not so). I just can't handle playing less than the best versions ever, I don't know why people don't get it.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Don't know what to do.

There are quite a few PS4 games I'm drooling for right now. Resident Evil 3, Ghosts of Tsushima, Final Fantasy VII, Devil May Cry V (had it on X1), MK11 (had it on X1), and 3-4 games as well.

On the other hand, those PS5 editions may not be day 1 PS5 games and it might take months or years to be re-mastered in PS5 editions. So, holding out for those games may end up taking a lot more time than I thought.

So, should I buy the PS4 versions of those games and risk having to buy them all over again for the PS5, or do I wait for - at least - a year before buying them once for the PS5?

Didn't Sony say there's backwards capability anyway? What does it matter, game will 99% the same with slightly better graphics?

Stuart360

If you're 'drooling' over those games, why wait a whole year?. They will be backwards comapat, and if they do release remasters, just buy them again. It actually gives you a reason to play through them again.

Jtibh

Banned
Don't know what to do.

I would hope those games will receive a patch of some sort.
Like pro and x got game paches to run at higher resolution. Like at release of pro we got deus ex and others patched.

I cant see having publishers releasing a remaster version of these games anymore.
Most remasters where from ps3 or ps2 era from hardware that was very different in architecture.

This time around consoles will just build up on current tech hence the big talk about backwards compatibility.

And i also cant see studios invest lot of time on remasters rather then new titles for launch.

I sure shit wont hold off on games to only play them a year later in 4k 60 fps with some minor improvments.

AND if next gen starts with a load of remasters definitive editions and shit i will just stick to my current consoles and wait till next gen makes sence.

VertigoOA

Banned
Backwards compatibility will solve most issues.

I usually stop buying games the last year Before the next gen anyway. I have enough of backlog of shit I don’t play.

Mista

Banned
Play new PS5 games.

The only benefit to buy a PS5 is to play PS5 games.
Play PS4 games on PS5 is just a minor plus.
Thats what I want the OP to know. Cross-gen games if they aren’t providing the newer versions for free then they are not worth getting now

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Depending on the jump from PS3 to PS4 thats all. Nobody is talking about it like its confirmed so yeah :)

Sure, but the jump from PS3 to PS4 was a jump where PS3 were not playable on PS4 at all. PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4 and we know that just as we knew PS4 was not going to be BC with PS3.

This is why I was puzzled, you made an hypothetical scenario frankly comparing apples and oranges: you said you based this PS4 to PS5 scenario on the PS3 to PS4 one... but the two scenarios are nothing alike :).

Kagey K

Banned
Thats what I want the OP to know. Cross-gen games if they aren’t providing the newer versions for free then they are not worth getting now
I expect the 5.00 upgrade to become a very popular decision next gen, but will only work for digital buyers.

Physical might get hooped.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I expect the 5.00 upgrade to become a very popular decision next gen, but will only work for digital buyers.

Physical might get hooped.

I think it will work for physical titles too: PS5 patches like the PS4 Pro patches... but better ;).
Physical games get installed and can get whatever patches or add-on’s the digital titles get. I think most games, especially first party ones, will give out free PS5 patches for PS4 titles as they want to positively encourage customers to migrate.

think they spent the last year and a half with all these stability updates with internal developers facing changes to better prepare for the PS5 transition as MS showed them the advantage of preparing for that and the strengths of a fully virtualised platform approach... more costly at the beginning, but it can also have benefits ;)).

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Graphics over fps was what buried my PS4 Pro for me.

Used it mainly for MGSV.
Games are always going to go shiny first, I know everyone says 60fps or bust, and I think we will see that early, but some games are going to push for the bells and whistles, I’m sure we will see more then 1 30fps game or lower before next gen ends.

ethomaz

Banned
Why not? You will play them now and when PS5 launch you will play PS5 games.

I don't expect upgrades for PS4 except some remasters.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Seems like a stupid mindset to have, why bother getting them for ps5 as well when you might as well wait some more and get them on ps6. Considering anyone could drop dead tomorrow i don't see the point of this waiting and living with the "what if" mindset. Just enjoy the games now.

iorek21

I'm not holding on buying TLOU2 or Ghost, they'll probably be backwards compatible anyway...

As for multiplats, I'll keep buying them on Steam

Mista

Banned
Why not? You will play them now and when PS5 launch you will play PS5 games.

I don't expect upgrades for PS4 except some remasters.
I don’t wait. I never actually did but if I already own the game why is it okay to pay for it again? I’m supposed to get the upgraded version for free too and not get on the fucking wagon and say “ah yes, next-gen let me pay again for the remaster” no fuck that, I learned my lesson and if it happened i’ll never buy it. But again, i’m just talking here as if the scenario is going to be “get a remaster for a game you own just to play it on a new console”

-Troid-

Banned
I would just get the current gen versions. Then if there are remastered versions later wait for them to go on sale and get them cheaper. Therefore you 'll be rewarded for impatience now and patience later.

I did this with Dark Souls 2 on the 360 and then got Scholar of the First Sin later on the X1.

Might as well get the PS4 versions if they run well. The PS4 tech doesn't seem like it's running to it's limits like the PS3 did at the end of last gen.

Closer

I mean, if you are waiting for the PS5 to release to play these games, why not wait until the PS6 or something to play the remastered version?

/s

93xfan

Banned
I don’t know why the OP is so hard to understand for some people.

He posted his viewpoint clearly.

-Buying the same game twice is not what the OP wants to do for most games.

-OP also doesn’t want to own an inferior version.

-OP doesn’t want a PC.

OP, I’d recommend waiting and seeing what Sony announces in Feb as that is ahead of FF7 and RE3.

Also, any reason not to wait until you know more about both next gen systems before throwing your hat in with Sony?

Last edited:
I stopped buying PS4 games a long time ago because of the fan noise. As a guy who buys all the game system, I have to admit the PS4 is the nose annoying game system I have ever played.

Grinchy

Banned
I don’t know why the OP is so hard to understand for some people.

He posted his viewpoint clearly.

-Buying the same game twice is not what the OP wants to do for most games.

-OP also doesn’t want to own an inferior version.

-OP doesn’t want a PC.

OP, I’d recommend waiting and seeing what Sony announces in Feb as that is ahead of FF7 and RE3.

Also, any reason not to wait until you know more about both next gen systems before throwing your hat in with Sony?
Yeah, I respect that others have a different view on it, but the logic in the OP is sound to me.

Look at Red Dead 2. The HDR is fucked up, the input lag adds to the already long animations creating an even more heavy feeling, ect. The PS5 version, at 4K/60fps might not just fix the HDR problem (who knows) but it will definitely have a positive effect on the input lag. It's the kind of game I can wait to play the better version of.

Top Bottom