• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sigh...Signs of development hell has surfaced for 343 Industries. I'm moving on.

At least black folks can't be blamed for the state of the Halo franchise. Unless there is a separate but equal picture of the black employees.

If 343 wants to brag about diversity, a little self awareness would help....

oldergamer

Seriously some of you guys are fucking ridiculous. You will complain about ANYTHING. Its a fucking picture of female employees. NOTHING wrong that. but you guys trying to assign blame on diversity? gimme a fucking break. perhaps you haters should quit gaming as you clearly forgot what the industry is about.

ExpandKong

Banned
Seriously some of you guys are fucking ridiculous. You will complain about ANYTHING. Its a fucking picture of female employees. NOTHING wrong that. but you guys trying to assign blame on diversity? gimme a fucking break. perhaps you haters should quit gaming as you clearly forgot what the industry is about.

Yeah this industry is about pictures of rooms full of women!

99la1379fpr21.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
People seem to confuse the arbitrary hiring of anything that isn't a white man with the idea that people feel like anything but a white man can't do the job.

That's just not the case. If you hire the best person for the job without any diversity/inclusion mandate, and you end up with more women than men, things will probably be fine. If you turn down the best people for the job because you need women/trans/ect on your checklist, you're going to get Craig Infinite.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's really interesting, how long ago did that happen? It would help to explain why they have been on the backfoot for the last couple of years.
Around the time Intel started to slow down, will look at dates a bit better, but yes it is not a coincidence.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Top talent is a commodity. This goes for every endeavor, video games are no exception. That means you need to weed out all the chaff and find the best %.001 of people in each position. But what if those people don’t meet your idea of diversity?
That's oversimplifying the question though. Unless you're operating out of garage development with 5-10man teams - building high-performing/functioning teams is very much a function of building diverse perspectives(and that goes well beyond the socio/gender/ethnic stereotypes people typically associate with it), not just collecting 0.001% performers(which can and does lead to negative results as well if it's your sole focus).

And tbh - I've not yet seen diversity initiatives actually override standard hiring bar requirements - so they don't lead to hiring worse talent - just slower hiring.

Shmunter

It was looking like a B grade destiny clone service game anyway. It’s best for it to burn and something better rise from its ashes.

R770w71.jpg

There are plenty of men in this photo that are equally responsible for the state of Halo Infinite. If you want to criticize 343i’s team, that’s fine, but cherry picking the photo showcasing the female talent that was posted on international women’s day just shows your true intentions. You just don’t like women making your games. Just take a deep breath, relax, and give your mom a call. There’s obviously some stuff you have to work out there.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
R770w71.jpg

There are plenty of men in this photo that are equally responsible for the state of Halo Infinite. If you want to criticize 343i’s team, that’s fine, but cherry picking the photo showcasing the female talent that was posted on international women’s day just shows your true intentions. You just don’t like women making your games. Just take a deep breath, relax, and give your mom a call. There’s obviously some stuff you have to work out there.

Here we fucking go again with this stupid ass line of rhetoric.

small_law

Of the many mistakes Microsoft made back then, valuing Halo more than Bungie was one of the worst. You don't let an experienced, successful studio walk out the door. Sure, Bungie wanted out, but there had to be a set of conditions under which they would have stayed.

And I'm not trying to put Bungie on a pedestal so much as point out how hard it is to replicate a studio that's experienced the success of creating a multi-billion dollar franchise. 343 had every advantage Microsoft money could give it and 10 years of time to try. At best, they've achieved mediocrity. It's tragic.

jigglet

Banned
No one can really predict what the final outcome of this will be, except for one definitive truth that is provable, mathematically: the OP is not moving on. You will be back to suck at 343i's teet. Don't deny the inevitability of it.

Halo just needs to be put out to pasture. It’s sad at this point.

I think it still has legs, but certainly not legs anyone would rely on without testing them first.

I still can't imagine what's going on at 343, beyond devs being happy to escape 343's clutches and go anywhere else.

And we do have Halo: Infinite to thank for the memes on this forum and elsewhere, so it's not a total loss.

Xenon

Yeah I'm going to blame Bonnie as well. She was the one who pushed for trying to spread the story out through different forms of media. She also talked about exploring storytelling. All she ended up making was a weird collection stories that never added up.

So what do we get for the Halo infinite reveal trailer, some dude missing his wife. For some reason the studio keeps trying to ground Halo in some strange attempt to emotionally connect with an audience that really just wants to be a badass super soldier that blows the shit out of everything.

Halo has lost because the person running 343 Studios does not have a clue where to take the series. I just don't see how she still has a job after the mess that was the campaign Halo 5. Out of curiosity, have any other Studio heads lost their jobs for failing? Or do the studios end up just going under.

Last edited:
That "mess" still shits all over Halo 4 and 5's campaigns on heroic and lower. Halo 4 has the worst AI in the series and worst level design and Halo 5 has beyond shit gameplay with its half assed squad mechanic that made them flood the screen with enemies to compensate for having 4 players. Not to mention the story is 100x better.

I didn't like Halo 5 much but its single player mode was a lot better than Halo 2, the biggest issue was I hated the forced 4 player mode and the switching between the 2 different characters and I also think Halo V tried too much to tell a story. I never loved Halo for its story at all it was all about the amazing world and firefights

I will also credit Halo V with the best multiplayer since Halo 2 . I agree with you on Halo 4 mind, I never cared for that game and was just about better than Halo 2 (singleplayer) which isn't saying much at all

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I’ve talked about 343 a lot, check my post history, so I’ll keep this short. I think it’s myopic to focus on women and 343. I’ve talked a little bit on that topic previously and I’d rather not beat a dead horse. Let’s remember that the disjointed story decisions, puzzling gameplay choices, and bizarre art direction were made by men over the past 10 years. Halo failed back when dev on 4 began long before these photos were taken.

Ozzie666

If your a business person, responsible for countless employees or have to make share holders happy. I'm sorry, go with the best talent possible, no matter race, gender, orientation. Best skills available, best attitude. Being forced or bowing to outside force pressure for a private company, not good for the health of the company. Make sure you lock up the skill to get the job done, always room to give people opportunity, as long as you have the core to carry the project.

I think its Management more than anything, poor vision from the top, or unclear vision. I am sure the employees themselves are fantastic people and wonderful people, also skilled enough to be in their jobs. If they aren't, that's Managements fault.

stickkidsam

Do you have something constructive to say or are you just gonna cry about it?
Dude you're missing the point entirely.

I've not seen anybody upset that there are women in the company. Just disappointment that 343 and Microsoft are showing another example of having shit priorities.

You don't need to focus on them bring women. The massive group photo had them already. You don't need to market how diverse you are; you already have a diverse group of INDIVIDUALS.

You're a game company; make a great game.

I've not seen anybody upset that there are women in the company. Just disappointment that 343 and Microsoft are showing another example of having shit priorities.

You don't need to focus on them bring women. The massive group photo had them already. You don't need to market how diverse you are; you already have a diverse group of INDIVIDUALS.

I haven’t missed the point. At all. I’m not focusing on them bringing in women either. Other poster clearly are, and that’s what I was criticizing.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Of the many mistakes Microsoft made back then, valuing Halo more than Bungie was one of the worst. You don't let an experienced, successful studio walk out the door. Sure, Bungie wanted out, but there had to be a set of conditions under which they would have stayed.

And I'm not trying to put Bungie on a pedestal so much as point out how hard it is to replicate a studio that's experienced the success of creating a multi-billion dollar franchise. 343 had every advantage Microsoft money could give it and 10 years of time to try. At best, they've achieved mediocrity. It's tragic.

do you have proof they would of stayed?

Yeah I'm going to blame Bonnie as well. She was the one who pushed for trying to spread the story out through different forms of media. She also talked about exploring storytelling. All she ended up making was a weird collection stories that never added up.

So what do we get for the Halo infinite reveal trailer, some dude missing his wife. For some reason the studio keeps trying to ground Halo in some strange attempt to emotionally connect with an audience that really just wants to be a badass super soldier that blows the shit out of everything.

Halo has lost because the person running 343 Studios does not have a clue where to take the series. I just don't see how she still has a job after the mess that was the campaign Halo 5. Out of curiosity, have any other Studio heads lost their jobs for failing? Or do the studios end up just going under.

I never understood why they tried to make the Chief a normal human being. The whole point of Bungie's Halo is that the Chief is an artificial killing machine/master strategist/Messiah created to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Montauk

R770w71.jpg

Bro, you don't get it. Bonnie Ross's vagina absolutely destroyed this series. Bad ju-ju came out of it and just melted the others devs minds, they couldn't code two weeks after Ross arrived.

Last edited:

Let me get this straight so you guys don't have an issue with woman/minorities creating your games which is stupid but seems to be a rather common thing?

You are telling me you guys are angry because you think that Microsofts attempt to *promote* their diversity is somehow responsible for 343 failures!?

Montauk

This is one photo taken for International Women's Day. 343's devs aren't running their social media channels. This doesn't take time or focus away from anything. How long do you think it takes to get some people together in a room for one photo?

Last edited:

Montauk

They enjoy bitching online far more than any game.

Outlier

Might have been a better idea to let 343 create their own franchise, rather than having them adopt another teams creation.

Bungie left the series for a reason. This is the biggest issues I see with series (in general). They go on for so long, that they begin to suffer.

Sometimes it might be best to let a series end on it's high note, instead of dragging it into new directions.

oagboghi2

R770w71.jpg

Look at these brave young men trying to save the Halo franchise from these harlots.

Godspeed young men. GOD SPEED

Women Bad, am I right gamers?

When did this become an incel board?

internet_white_knight_colored_4350.jpg

Last edited:

oagboghi2

They enjoy bitching online far more than any game.
You're in this thread
Let me get this straight so you guys don't have an issue with woman/minorities creating your games which is stupid but seems to be a rather common thing?

You are telling me you guys are angry because you think that Microsofts attempt to *promote* their diversity is somehow responsible for 343 failures!?

What people are saying is that 343i priority is on shit like this, and not on the fact that they have a record of releasing broken and under delivering games.

343i is held as MS flagship first party developer. Maybe they should make one game that actually lives up to the hype. That lives up to Halo. They haven't done so ever, and that's why it is so easy to mock them and their stupid PR pictures.

People want to argue over the photo now, and pretend to be offended over a joke post. People will call everyone sexist blah blah blah, you can feel it coming. That doesn't change the fact that 343i has always sucked ass, and is yet to deliver.

At least black folks can't be blamed for the state of the Halo franchise. Unless there is a separate but equal picture of the black employees.

If 343 wants to brag about diversity, a little self awareness would help....

Jesus I scanned every corner and I don't think there is a single black person in the entire dev team wth?

So diversity in this case is pure BS, diverse in just women and trans people it seems.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
This is a developer with an embarrassment of riches and now they have some Halo under their belts when things go well people will love them

small_law

He sucks too
do you have proof they would of stayed?
No, but there had to be a set of circumstances that would have satisfied bungie enough to maintain their partnership. By "set of circumstances," I generally mean money or perks or a greater say in management. Who knows. I can't imagine bungie was a hard "no" to every conceivable offer Microsoft could have made.

My impression at the time was that while bungie wanted to go independent, Microsoft was happy to let them go as long as Microsoft got Halo in exchange. The fact that Bungie left demonstrates that Microsoft wanted Halo a lot more than they wanted Bungie. "We'll just put a new studio together and carry on." Wrong.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
No, but there had to be a set of circumstances that would have satisfied bungie enough to maintain their partnership. By "set of circumstances," I generally mean money or perks or a greater say in management. Who knows. I can't imagine bungie was a hard "no" to every conceivable offer Microsoft could have made.

My impression at the time was that while bungie wanted to go independent, Microsoft was happy to let them go as long as Microsoft got Halo in exchange. The fact that Bungie left demonstrates that Microsoft wanted Halo a lot more than they wanted Bungie. "We'll just put a new studio together and carry on." Wrong.

well if you have no proof they would of stayed. maybe they still wanted to be independent and have control away from Microsoft. that was what they wanted

small_law

well if you have no proof they would of stayed. maybe they still wanted to be independent and have control away from Microsoft. that was what they wanted
That's an assumption as well. If Microsoft wanted to keep them on as an exclusive studio, dump trucks full of money would have shown up at Jason Jones's house. The only question is how many dump trucks it would have taken.

The opposite happened. Bungie had to surrender its interest in the Halo franchise in order to terminate their partnership with Microsoft. In essence, bungie paid to Microsoft to leave. We're talking a significant ownership percentage of a multi-billion dollar franchise at the time.

So there's your proof. You just have to have a little business acumen to understand it. Microsoft not only made no effort to keep bungie on , but also made bungie pay to leave. Assuming bungie was desperate to leave, Microsoft didn't do much in the way of trying to keep them.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

The whole single-player campaign is a mess in HALO 2; BUNGiE even admitted it themself to EDGE mag That's to overlook how what was planned for the game couldn't actually run on a retail Xbox.
Still the game was saved by massive hype and the awesome multiplayer
Just curious, do you have a link to that Edge article? It just seems weird that a developer would call their game a mess. It is well documented that there was some reworking of the Halo 2 campaign late in development and there was some serious crunch time and it came in hot and heavy, but in the end it turned out great. Jason Jones/Bungie did what Bonnie Ross/343 can’t do. Bonnie should have been fired after the Halo MCC launch fiasco, but she wasn’t so here we are once again in another Halo 343 fiasco.

The Halo 2 campaign is leagues better than the Halo 5 campaign. I love Halo and the FPS genre. To me, Halo 5 is a slightly below average campaign in the FPS genre and the worst Halo campaign ever and I think most Halo fans would agree.

BTW, Edge gave Halo 2 a 9/10 and Halo 5 a 8/10. Edge gave Halo CE a rare 10/10 and all the other Bungie Halo games a 9/10. I actually think most reviewers held back the negativity in their Halo 5 reviews, just because it’s a storied franchise.

Kadve

Master Chief face reveal and it's a woman would be amazing.

Technically that would contradict the novels though, where his un-helmeted face is described.

Still, would definitely be a nice twist. Reveal that "masterchief" is actually missing/dead and that someone else has been using his armor for a while. (not sure if that's doable, but still)

Just curious, do you have a link to that Edge article? It just seems weird that a developer would call their game a mess. It is well documented that there was some reworking of the Halo 2 campaign late in development and there was some serious crunch time and it came in hot and heavy, but in the end it turned out great. Jason Jones/Bungie did what Bonnie Ross/343 can’t do. Bonnie should have been fired after the Halo MCC launch fiasco, but she wasn’t so here we are once again in another Halo 343 fiasco.

The Halo 2 campaign is leagues better than the Halo 5 campaign. I love Halo and the FPS genre. To me, Halo 5 is a slightly below average campaign in the FPS genre and the worst Halo campaign ever and I think most Halo fans would agree.

BTW, Edge gave Halo 2 a 9/10 and Halo 5 a 8/10. Edge gave Halo CE a rare 10/10 and all the other Bungie Halo games a 9/10. I actually think most reviewers held back the negativity in their Halo 5 reviews, just because it’s a storied franchise.

It was when EDGE was previewing Halo 3 and BUNGiE said themself the game wasn't very good and its development was a mess and how they put in big changes to make sure it wouldn't happen with Halo 3. I'm sorry I don't agree with you over Halo 2 It was for poor and saved by its multiplayer (which was out of this world) I wasn't impressed with Halo 4 either (but it did look good) and the less said about EDGE review scores, the better.

BTW, I'm a HALO fan too :)

Sam Hyde

Banned
I think a group of mostly white nerdy men have a much better chance of creating a good, productive and creative work environment than a diverse group. I think there is much less politics involved, much less anxiety about not being politically correct and much more freedom of thought.

Unleash the hate.

Top Bottom