• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 is ten years old today.

Bob Tampinha said:
I'm about to start Silent Hill 2 on the pc, is there any mods or fixes i should use? I already patched the widescreen fix.

If you don't want the sound and cutscenes to constantly mess up you should limit it to 1 cpu in the task manager (right click/set affinity and then deselect all but one).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Happy birthday SH2. You're still one of the best games I've ever played.

subversus said:
by the way, how did you like the movie, people? I watched it before I heard about games and I found it quite well made. It has its own damp, "bad" spirit but it doesn't match SH2 atmosphere. People who making the game were inspired, Silent Hill movie felt just like a copycat if you compare them as a piece of media.

It's decent enough. Obviously not as good as the games, but the best movie adaption of a video game I've seen.

I'm shocked that SH 2 is still the best game ever made. I thought that at some point during this console gen someone would have made something that was more atmospheric, moving, and completely engrossing than SH 2, but they haven't. I guess they won't. This game stands, even now, as an example of what video games could be. It's a shame that no one rose to meet the challenge.

The In Water ending is perfect in every way.

chemicals

I remember watching the intro, and then realizing that I was actually controlling the dude in the mirror: "HOLY CRAP! THIS GAME LOOKS REAL!"

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Lime said:
Thematically it's the Crime & Punishment of the medium. It's impeccable and a hallmark of what digital games are able to achieve artistically.
A man after my own heart. :)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I also think that "fog" is the best game mechanic that was born out of hardware constraints. Not only works for scares, it's also a metaphor.

SH2 didn't do much for me, none of the characters ever grabbed the way they did in 1 and 3. And the ending (at least the one I got) was kind of a slap in the face.

Easily one of the greatest video games ever made. The only thing it had going against it was the oft-atrocious voice acting. Thankfully that's being remedied right now.

Scariest part - Running down that never ending flight of stairs while the industrial clatter got louder and louder the more you descended. Hells bells, that was horrible.

kyubajin

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Well isn't it kind of the only one as well? It's decent but they really do cherry pick a lot when it comes to their, many times shitty arguments.
I might be in the minority here but I agree with mostly everything they say. What are the shitty arguments that bother you?

033l.jpg

This moment was the first time CG facial expressions ever impressed me. I still find it astonishingly realistic to this day.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I always loved the atmosphere in Silent Hill games, but I think a lot of the potential of the game goes out the window as soon as you start wacking demons with a pipe, or shooting them with a 9mm pistol. I mean these are demons. Not zombies.

Which is why i thought shattered memories was the perfect recipe for the game. Unfortunately I did not play it, but the video walkthroughs i seen look absolutely great. That is a closer formula to a psychological horror game. I also thought Homecoming was fantastic with the atmosphere and story as far as I played it. Unfortunately I did not get past the police station on that one.

Any good breakdowns on the story of all Silent Hill games?

Dascu

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I always loved the atmosphere in Silent Hill games, but I think a lot of the potential of the game goes out the window as soon as you start wacking demons with a pipe, or shooting them with a 9mm pistol. I mean these are demons. Not zombies.

Which is why i thought shattered memories was the perfect recipe for the game. Unfortunately I did not play it, but the video walkthroughs i seen look absolutely great. That is a closer formula to a psychological horror game.
Probably in the minority, but yes, I agree. Beating up monsters with a pipe and stomping their corpses does not really seem like good psychology to me. Pulling off non-combat game play is damn hard though.

Dascu

It's apparently also Goichi Suda's birthday today. Would be nice if GHM makes a psychological horror game next, especially with Yamaoka being there.

Edit: Oops, his twitter got me confused.

gketter said:
So is ICO. Can you believe both awesome games came out the same day? I got both on day 1 and had a blast
God, PS2 was a monster in the second half of 2001. GT3, SH2, Ico, GTA3, THPS3, MGS2, DMC1, AC4, Jak and Daxter, FFX...it's interesting to see where these franchises have gone now.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
gketter said:
So is ICO. Can you believe both awesome games came out the same day? I got both on day 1 and had a blast
Just in general, Fall 2001 was one of the best stretches in gaming ever. The 10 year anniversaries of DMC1, MGS2, Halo 1, and FFX are immanent.

never played it unfortunately... i was gonna start it up a couple times but somehow i never felt in the mood for a horror game... is it REALLY That scary even today or should i just go for it? somehow i feel more like cheerful games nowadays hmmm

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Winnie the Pimp said:
never played it unfortunately... i was gonna start it up a couple times but somehow i never felt in the mood for a horror game... is it REALLY That scary even today or should i just go for it? somehow i feel more like cheerful games nowadays hmmm

SH2 isn't as scary as SH1 and SH3, but it's a very unsettling game in that it creates a very tense and creepy atmosphere that creeps under your skin and stays there all throughout the game.

Leona Lewis said:
God, PS2 was a monster in the second half of 2001. GT3, SH2, Ico, GTA3, THPS3, MGS2, DMC1, AC4, Jak and Daxter, FFX...it's interesting to see where these franchises have gone now.
Maybe I'm just becoming a bitter old man, but it's so hard to look at games that came out 10 years ago and not think that we've been digressing since then.

gketter said:
Yeah, me too. And a few days later I completed both games the same night.

I never tried to duplicate that experience. I haven't played either game since then. But that day is rapidly approaching.

RomanticHeroX said:
Maybe I'm just becoming a bitter old man, but it's so hard to look at games that came out 10 years ago and not think that we've been digressing since then.

Every few years we have insane years like that. So nothing has changed.

kunonabi

Shikamaru Ninja said:

Which is why i thought shattered memories was the perfect recipe for the game. Unfortunately I did not play it, but the video walkthroughs i seen look absolutely great. That is a closer formula to a psychological horror game. I also thought Homecoming was fantastic with the atmosphere and story as far as I played it. Unfortunately I did not get past the police station on that one.

Any good breakdowns on the story of all Silent Hill games?

Playing SM is a much more irritating experience than just watching it.

The idea of stripping away combat and focusing on evasion is fine. The clock tower series, Haunting Ground, and a few other titles have done that to great success. The problem was Shattered Memories botched it badly. You just run until you find the exit. Hiding and knocking things over are useless, the enemies are not threatening or scary, and there is no penalty for dying.

As for breakdowns on the story, just avoid silenthillheaven. They have no idea what the hell they are talking about over there. Actually try and stay away from anything related to the fanbase. They have a tendency to make stuff up and claim it has fact.

Shikamaru Ninja said:

The regular enemies in SH2 really aren't much of a threat to James. You can pretty much just run away from all of them. The boss fights are the only time that you really need to fight, and those are all relatively easy.

Reveirg

Weirdly enough, even though I'm a fan of the atmosphere, music and general design of the series, I have only played The Room!!

I'm waiting eagerly for the HD collection before playing 2/3 and I think I'm in for a treat...

It's sitting on my shelf right now, though I've never actually finished it. That game scared the shit out of me, and I have no doubt it still would. The atmosphere is so engrossing and unsettling that I don't think I'll ever get over it.

I became a big RE fan when 2 came out on 64 and then got to play the other PSX titles at friends houses. I got my PS2 in 2001(was in 10th grade). At some point I heard about SH2 and decided that since I loved RE, I'd probably like SH as well. I remember picking up a used copy of SH2 one day and being pumped to get home. Jesus Christ. I did not have a good grasp on what survival horror could really be like until that day. I don't think I've ever been so on edge in a game than when I explored the apartment building for the first time.

I've always favored SH3, but that might be because I actually beat the game. Both have awesome soundtracks and are great visual showcases on a system that was lacking them. SH2 tells a better story, though, and very few other games come close.

after resident evil and silent hill on ps1 and then silent hill 2 on ps2 I remember thinking how AWESOME survival horrors were gonna be..... and.... then the genre just died. :[

maskrider

maria-hn.jpg

Happy birthday, Silent Hill 2, my all time favourite.

But I am not buying the HD collection since I already have the PC version.

Mr_Zombie

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Monsters in SH2 (at least some of them) have female features for a reason, you know ;)

I also thought Homecoming was fantastic with the atmosphere and story as far as I played it. Unfortunately I did not get past the police station on that one.
Too shame, because not long after police station you reach Scarlett boss. Hell Descent (the part right before the boss) was, imho, one of the better part of the game, even though there was only a single enemy during that "level", and Scarlett's theme is amazing.
However, soon after that battle everything starts to fall apart, human enemies appear and the game turns into a Hostel wannabe :(

LifEndz

I was stationed in Fairbanks, Alaska when this game came out. My friend up there was a big Silent Hill fan so he just had to show me this game. We only played it on the weekends and at night. I eventually picked it up and tried playing it by myself a few times but I couldn't...it was that effing scary. Fond memories though. can't believe it's been ten years. Happy bday to an all-time great that I have no desire (or ability) to play again.

randomwab

Corky said:
god damnit where can I buy it?!

steam? No.
Gog? NO.

WHERE?!

Retail only, sadly. Fucking Konami. And even at that, tracking down a copy is a bitch and when you find one, it's expensive.

Try Amazon Sellers or eBay, I guess.

Wait, can someone in the know clarify something for me; is the HD collection getting new VA and new VA only? I heard there were some legal issues with the originals but, please, tell me I'm wrong...

Kayo-kun

Lazlo Woodbine said:
Wait, can someone in the know clarify something for me; is the HD collection getting new VA and new VA only? I heard there were some legal issues with the originals but, please, tell me I'm wrong...

New VA:s only, from what I know, none of the original VA:s are in it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
randomwab said:
Retail only, sadly. Fucking Konami. And even at that, tracking down a copy is a bitch and when you find one, it's expensive.

Try Amazon Sellers or eBay, I guess.

Sigh :(

This game is linked with so many good, sad and personal memories.
It was the last game which my younger brother played before he died in a car accident.
He was so passionate about this game. After a couple of months I picked up his last savegame and played it to the end for him. After that it became my favourite game.
10 years, my god, how time flies.

Top Bottom