• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 is ten years old today.

Paertan

I do hold Silent Hill 1 as a better game, but tried to play it again and it has not aged well =/
Oh well gonna play Silent Hill 2 again for its birthday.

Happy birthday old pal.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Thinking about SH2 10 years on, the thing that stands out to me most, is that somehow it managed not to disappoint me despite how hyped I was for it.

Great game. Team Silent were one of the very best.

randomwab

Paertan said:
Soundtrack is on Spotify if anyone wanna listen to it.
PM if you need an invite

Theme of Laura really is a masterpiece

I always wondered why the artist for the soundtrack was set as Konami Kukeiha Club on iTunes and Spotify when they had nothing to do with the game and Yamaoka was never a member of the group.

Poor Yamaoka. And Theme of Laura really is a masterpiece.

Paertan

randomwab said:
I always wondered why the artist for the soundtrack was set as Konami Kukeiha Club on iTunes and Spotify when they had nothing to do with the game and Yamaoka was never a member of the group.

Poor Yamaoka. And Theme of Laura really is a masterpiece.
And why is it called Theme of Loura? Translation from Japanese?

silenthill1979 said:
This game is linked with so many good, sad and personal memories.
It was the last game which my younger brother played before he died in a car accident.
He was so passionate about this game. After a couple of months I picked up his last savegame and played it to the end for him. After that it became my favourite game.
10 years, my god, how time flies.
My condolences. Which feeling is drawn out more if you don't mind me asking? Would playing it again bring joy or sorrow in memory of your brother? Have you played again? Not trying to pry, just curious.

"Hmmm. What should I play in the meantime while I wait for RAGE", I think to myself.

/Browse Gaf. 6th Topic.

Thanks guys!!!

Note, that I have never played SH2. Only 1, 3 and half of 4. Which is strange, because I did enjoy them a lot, once I was brave enough to get through them all. Killer soundtrack.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Silent Hill 2, my favourite game ever. Amazing story, aamzing world, amazing music, amazing characters.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
If I had to pick a favorite game this would be it. Hard to imagine this is a 10 year old game.

sh2pc2011-06-1701-12-2kucs.jpg

Team silent were some damn great wizards.

This picture really shows how game development of games has stalled this decade. Still today that would be a totally acceptable screenshot if rendered in higher resolution.

Compare that to the 1991 -> 2001 jump - from Super Mario World to Halo

subversus said:
This game is fucking scary. I'm watch a walkthrough on youtube from time to time and it has that dark energy that almost oozes from the screen in the room.

It's like you know that stuff is bad for your health but you keep drinking it. A maginificient game which I'll never be able to play.
whut

Jay Sosa

Xanadu said:
i prefer the first game

am i alone?

Nah first game was just so brilliantly different to what I've ver played before. I still remember how I was in awe when the school changed and thinking to myself "hooooly f**k"

I constantly fell asleep playing the second, especially on that boatride. And I didn't understood what the hell was going on with that fucking pyramidthingy that just wouldn't die.

I still think it's a fantastic game and I love it to death..but yeah I liked the first one a whole better.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
While SH2 is still my favourite game ever, SH1 had that cool criminal case vibe with that whole drug thing and whatnot instead of the much more personal stuff from the second game. I really dug that.

RickA238

Wow. I remember buying this game the day it came out. Still one of my favorite games ever. I can't think of a game that has come out since which surpasses it in atmosphere.

bengraven

I read some bad reviews of it at the time and after loving Silent Hill 1, I was prepared to be disappointed.

Wasn't. Favorite horror game of all time.

I wish someone could make quality exploration style horror games in huge worlds these days.

Has anyone played Konami's Saw series? Judging from that screenshot, the Saw series has been running off from a 10 year old engine, because that shit looks exactly the same. Guess that says something about Konami's non-Kojima involved console development since the PS2.

Listening to the Theme of Laura now, sooo good.

Kayo-kun said:
New VA:s only, from what I know, none of the original VA:s are in it.
Guessing it's a good idea I hung onto my original copy of SH2 then :/

Did anyone ever listen to the MGS: TUS interview with Jeremy Blaustein btw? Really intresting insight into the development process on SH2 (and MGS1) specifically. Konami typically come out smelling of shit.

Lime

The Mana Legend said:
Has anyone played Konami's Saw series? Judging from that screenshot, the Saw series has been running off from a 10 year old engine, because that shit looks exactly the same. Guess that says something about Konami's non-Kojima involved console development since the PS2.

Ehm, Saw is developed by Zombie Studios. Konami is mostly a publisher and they normally only use their own engines in in-house development. Also:

After the trailer, Brash confirmed that the game would utilize After the trailer, Brash confirmed that the game would utilize the Unreal Engine 3 and be released for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, and Microsoft Windows platforms.
Wikipedia

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
kunonabi said:
the enemies are not threatening or scary, and there is no penalty for dying.
That can be said for almost every Horror game out there(including ALL SilentHills) though.
For the past 10 years, the genre has been stagnant because it refuses to look outside the (poor)action-adventure + linear-plot.
Especially for SH, series is dead anyway - I'd like to see them try something different - be it gamble with realtime world(it's not like the game was ever mainstream anyway) or go QuanticDream way where actions have real consequences.

The Mana Legend said:

I think the reason it looks like shit is that they seem to have used all the art assets and shit from homecoming to quickly crap out a new game.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
My condolences. Which feeling is drawn out more if you don't mind me asking? Would playing it again bring joy or sorrow in memory of your brother? Have you played again? Not trying to pry, just curious.
I haven't played it for almost 8 years. I think if I played it again, it would be a mixture of joy and sorrow. Experiencing again what he experienced during his playthrough would be a bittersweet feeling.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
The music in the bathroom at the beginning is amazing. Set the tone for the entire game.

The Mana Legend said:
I think the Saw game looks pretty decent actually, the art and environment design are on par with most other games on UE3. True, it's not worlds beyond SH2 but I think that's a testament to what SH2 was able to cram in.

They were totally different third-party developers so I doubt there was any asset sharing.

Top Bottom