• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Downpour information from Game Informer

RagnarokX

I dunno. The idea of the town having a subway makes me think they are doing something like this:

ofwuhd.jpg

Lime

A positive thing is the fact that they're making a PC version. I could imagine it wouldn't be like Double Helix' shitty PC port (or their actual console versions for that matter).

I'm looking forward to the game, but I'm cautiously optimistic. And even if it fails to be any good, Vatra at least gave us this:

0.jpg

AshMcCool

I hope the QTE go in the direction of Heavy Rain and are not just mere button tapping. Stuff like that mixed with a horror setting would freak me out, I guess.

There are anyway too few horror titles this generation so I am cautiously interested.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Regarding the subway, I thought there was no electricity in Silent Hill (except for the elevators and a few lamps)?

Dascu

Lime said:
A positive thing is the fact that they're making a PC version. I could imagine it wouldn't be like Double Helix' shitty PC port (or their actual console versions for that matter).
Where was this confirmed?

AshMcCool said:
There are anyway too few horror titles this generation so I am cautiously interested.
- Penumbra series
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- Cryostasis
- Scratches
- Metro 2033
- The Void
- Cursed Mountain
- Deadly Premonition
- Condemned series
- Dead Space series
- BioShock series (arguable)
- STALKER series (arguable)
- Resident Evil series
- Left4Dead series
- Fatal Frame 4 and upcoming 2 remake (not localized, but easy to use translation patch)
- Three Silent Hill games and this one

There have been plenty of horror games this generation, especially on PC. The quality of horror games from Japan has been lower than past generations though. I miss games like Haunting Ground.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Dascu said:
- Penumbra series
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- Cryostasis
- Scratches
- Metro 2033
- The Void
- Cursed Mountain
- Deadly Premonition
- Condemned series
- Dead Space series
- BioShock series (arguable)
- STALKER series (arguable)
- Resident Evil series
- Left4Dead series
- Fatal Frame 4 and upcoming 2 remake (not localized, but easy to use translation patch)
- Three Silent Hill games and this one

There have been plenty of horror games this generation, especially on PC. The quality of horror games from Japan has been lower than past generations though. I miss games like Haunting Ground.

To be fair, some of those (Res Evil, L4D, Dead Space) are more like action games with horror themes. Calling them horror games is a stretch IMO.

Dascu

Kiriku said:
To be fair, some of those (Res Evil, L4D, Dead Space) are more like action games with horror themes. Calling them horror games is a stretch IMO.
The horror genre is broad. I included action-horror games. That said, I do consider Dead Space to be a very scary and tense game. Better at horror than some so-called survival-horror games.

Dascu said:
- Metro 2033
- Deadly Premonition
- Dead Space series
- Resident Evil series

None of those games can be called horror games, some try and fail hard like DP other are clearly focused in tension instead of pure horror elements,like Metro 2033 or DS.

Lily said:
running away from stuff again :(

The way it's described is very much like the old SH's. The enemies in those games were largely slow and were only really dangerous if they could corner you, so your best option was always to run away unless you were cornered. In those situations you'd still just hit them with something and then take off. :p

Dascu

Relaxed Muscle said:
None of those games can be called horror games, some try and fail hard like DP other are clearly focused in tension instead of pure horror elements,like Metro 2033 or DS.
Several notes:
- Personal disagreement on Dead Space. It was tense and scary and obviously inspired by horror movies like Event Horizon and Aliens.
- I have not played Metro 2033, so I can't vouch for it.
- Resident Evil was a big horror franchise. RE5 is obviously more aimed at action and less at horror, but its DLC (Lost in Nightmare), plus the upcoming 3DS entry (Revelations) are definitely more aimed at traditional survival-horror.
- Deadly Premonition tried to be scary. It features a lot of horror imagery and its story is rather grim.

General point: If a game actively tries to scare you with its visual design, sound and gameplay, then I consider it to be a horror game. Whether or not it succeeds is not very relevant. There are few horror movies that really scared me but I still consider them horror.

Dascu said:
General point: If a game actively tries to scare you with its visual design, sound and gameplay, then I consider it to be a horror game. Whether or not it succeeds is not very relevant. There are few horror movies that really scared me but I still consider them horror.
fully concur.

horror game is equivalent to sci fi game or fantasy game or comedy game.

there are no gameplay requirements for something to be any of those things. the intent of the story/atmosphere/art design dictate if something is horror.

but then Kiriku probably wouldn't consider Aliens a horror movie since he doesn't think L4D and Dead Space count.

snoopers

I am multitalented
Relaxed Muscle said:
some try and fail hard like DP

I completely disagree. have you finished DP ?
the late dungeons are actually quite scary and oppressing. besides, in terms of writing and mechanics, it's a true classical japanese survival-horror.
should it have had a higher budget, better gameplay and better UI, it would've been the perfect exemple of how a next-gen survival horror should be done.
open-world environment, sandbox narrative (via the sidequests), surprisingly balanced combat, literally tons of gameplay elements. game design is genius.
I can only dream of a silent hill done in this fashion. it would be spectacular. I'm not holding my breath though.

Rez said:
as opposed to the developer's assessing the situation, realising no one cares and intentionally sabotaging their reputation by making a shitty game?

Of course I don't think they would intentionally do that. I'm just hoping that they really look deeply into why a lot of people haven't thought as highly of the series lately.

MYE said:
Sidequests? Wat :lol :lol

I'm having a difficult time understanding how sidequests are a bad thing-- you do realize they probably won't be RPG style quests? To me it just means that there will be more things to do and to seek out in the game. Sure, we don't have any details about it, but they could be really cool and promote further exploration.

Not to mention, sidequests are generally optional so if you're really that badly against them, skip 'em.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
plagiarize said:
fully concur.

horror game is equivalent to sci fi game or fantasy game or comedy game.

there are no gameplay requirements for something to be any of those things. the intent of the story/atmosphere/art design dictate if something is horror.

but then Kiriku probably wouldn't consider Aliens a horror movie since he doesn't think L4D and Dead Space count.

We could go on and on about genre definitions, but it's not really the right thread for that.
Let's just call it my opinion that by including these action-horror games in the horror genre to prove the point that there are lots of horror games this generation makes the horror genre look diluted.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Relaxed Muscle said:

I'd probably say Siren: Blood Curse is probably the scariest HD game this gen on consoles (unless Amnesia arrives on consoles, which I have yet to try it out).

snoopers

I am multitalented
Kiriku said:
Let's just call it my opinion that by including these action-horror games in the horror genre to prove the point that there are lots of horror games this generation makes the horror genre look diluted.

maybe you mistake "horror" with "survival horror" ? horror is broad and diverse, just like in cinema where the horror genre isn't limited to slashers.

Dascu said:
The horror genre is broad. I included action-horror games. That said, I do consider Dead Space to be a very scary and tense game. Better at horror than some so-called survival-horror games.
You can't pin down horror as a genre in gaming, if we go by gamers that is. If Dead Space isn't survival horror it's because it's too much action focused, so it's action horror, since Demons Souls has combat then it isn't survival etc... and the more we peel away what you end up is the very subjective "what's scary"

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
snoopers said:
maybe you mistake "horror" with "survival horror" ? horror is broad and diverse, just like in cinema where the horror genre isn't limited to slashers.

True, maybe my definition of horror games is more strict in that way.

Dascu

Kiriku said:
We could go on and on about genre definitions, but it's not really the right thread for that.
Don't worry, I completely understand what you mean. I simply meant that there the horror genre as a whole is well represented this generation. That said, there still are quite a few survival-horror games of good quality. There's a distinct lack in good (localized) 3rd-person survival-horror games from Japan though. Previous generation had several great Silent Hill games, the Siren series (though there is that PS3 remake, haven't played it), Fatal Frame (but the 4th one can now be imported and a remake of the 2nd is on the way) and original entries like Ku-On, Haunting Ground (a personal favourite of mine), Clock Tower 3, Rule of Rose, Echo Night: Beyond and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

I personally would love to see a new survival-horror game like Haunting Ground (stalker-horror), but Capcom isn't really interested in its non-blockbuster franchises this generation. I had high hopes for Shadows of the Damned (especially with Akira Yamaoka at Grasshopper Manufacture), but it seems to go for an action-horror approach. Hopefully a real survival-horror game with Yamaoka at the lead is next. Shinji Mikami expressed interest in doing a new horror game now that he's founded Tango.

snoopers said:
I completely disagree. have you finished DP ?
the late dungeons are actually quite scary and oppressing. besides, in terms of writing and mechanics, it's a true classical japanese survival-horror.
should it have had a higher budget, better gameplay and better UI, it would've been the perfect exemple of how a next-gen survival horror should be done.
open-world environment, sandbox narrative (via the sidequests), surprisingly balanced combat, literally tons of gameplay elements. game design is genius.
I can only dream of a silent hill done in this fashion. it would be spectacular. I'm not holding my breath though.

Yes, and still there's not a single point on the game that I felt truly opressed, tense or scared, yeah the plot is certainly quite gruesome in some parts, but still compared to other classical Japanese survival-horror games like Clock Tower, SH and Fatal Frame, the whole experience comes as a bit tame.

I loved the plot and the ambition of the game, but for me isn't a truly horror game, it's closer to RE4 or DS which are horror-action hibrid if you want, but it isn't a pure horror game and I think that's what people meant there wasn't many horror games this gen.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I really liked the direction of the Wii Silent Hill. I mean seriously, i think psychological horror games can evolve to the point that we don't need to be hitting demons from hell and phantasms with pipes and shotguns.

If it is a zombie-esque action game, bring on the uzi. But if it is a deeper neurological experience, then there should be other means IMO.

Teknoman

brandonh83 said:
Yeah, there's a subway in Silent Hill 3. The mountain resort is in the outskirts of Silent Hill, which you go through first before even getting there.

Isnt there one in SH4 as well?

EDIT: While all you survival horror fans are in one place, i'm thinking about downloading Siren Blood Curse, and was wondering if it held the mysterious/overall creepy factor throughout.

Teknoman

Jocchan said:
And both subways aren't in Silent Hill.

Maybe it wont be a normal subway or something? Would be leaning a little too close to RPGs to have a subway that travels through otherworld though.

Teknoman said:
While all you survival horror fans are in one place, i'm thinking about downloading Siren Blood Curse, and was wondering if it held the mysterious/overall creepy factor throughout.
Huge YES on that. Recommended. Though it might be a bit aged in the graphics department by now, it's still a very good survival horror game.

disappeared said:
I just woke up with a hangover. This news makes my brain hurt less. :D

:lol I know what you mean, I've had hangovers almost completely eradicated by game news and shit.

Kinda sad, definitely.

Amir0x

Banned
MYE said:
QTE's? :lol

Sidequests? Wat :lol :lol

Aaand we're going backwards. Homecoming part 2, here we come. Cant wait to play and forget about this one right after the credits roll.

Go Konami. You had a good thing going on for a while, but down the drain the SH name seems to go again...

YES! :D The game seems to be doubly effective. It's removing all the Shattered Memories fans from the equation, so we don't have to hear the number of ways they have no idea what makes a Silent Hill a great Silent Hill!

If it's any consolation, though, we all hate QTE. Down with QTE!

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
FunkyPajamas said:
Though it might be a bit aged in the graphics department by now, it's still a very good survival horror game.

I played Blood Curse through again a couple of weeks ago and it's held up pretty well - it was always undersung in the visual department, with really solid lighting, shadows and art direction.

I'd love to know where Toyama and/or his team went afterwards, but I'm out of the SCEI loop these days.

I have a friend that hates videogames for the most part because he's just not into hardcore gameplay, but he loves stuff like Silent Hill that doesn't require him to put a lot of effort into the gameplay and he's a big horror nut, and like me, feels that SH has absolutely no equal in that department.

When I told him that boss encounters would largely consist of QTE's, he didn't know what that meant and when I explained it he was like so you just have to press a button when the screen tells me to? Fuck yes! :lol

Of course, Homecoming was his worst nightmare and I think he more or less destroyed his Wii remote during Shattered Memories.

Dascu

Amir0x said:
YES! :D The game seems to be doubly effective. It's removing all the Shattered Memories fans from the equation, so we don't have to hear the number of ways they have no idea what makes a Silent Hill a great Silent Hill!
What about the Shattered Memories fans that thinks it's a good Silent Hill game?

I, for one, eagerly look forward to Downpour, notwithstanding my critical attitude towards the game due to these first details. I'd love to be wrong and I sincerly hope that the game delivers as a survival-horror experience.

brandonh83 said:
I have a friend that hates videogames for the most part because he's just not into hardcore gameplay, but he loves stuff like Silent Hill that doesn't require him to put a lot of effort into the gameplay and he's a big horror nut, and like me, feels that SH has absolutely no equal in that department.

When I told him that boss encounters would largely consist of QTE's, he didn't know what that meant and when I explained it he was like so you just have to press a button when the screen tells me to? Fuck yes! :lol

Of course, Homecoming was his worst nightmare and I think he more or less destroyed his Wii remote during Shattered Memories.

I enjoyed Homecoming bosses, but I understand him, SH bosses dosn't need to be fun or have complex attack patterns, basically get you best weapon get enough space and shoot, repeat until it dies.

Going back to minmal combat options it's a good thing, seems like this team understands what is a good SH game.

Amir0x

Banned
Dascu said:
What about the Shattered Memories fans that thinks it's a good Silent Hill game?

I, for one, eagerly look forward to Downpour, notwithstanding my critical attitude towards the game due to these first details. I'd love to be wrong and I sincerly hope that the game delivers as a survival-horror experience.

Well obviously, but I disagree strongly with the individuals who think Shattered Memories is a good Silent Hill game - it shares virtually none of the strengths of the series - so we'd probably just grumpily debate about it for a few posts or something ;)

I mean, SM shares far less in common with the Silent Hill series than Resident Evil 4 did with the rest of the RE series.

Amir0x said:

Shattered Memories was an experiment. Polarizing, yes... but I don't think you should shit on people that like it and appreciated some of the changes.

*edited so we can continue to have civil conversations :D

Amir0x

Banned
See, unlike other games, Konami wasting resources on shitty SH games that share nothing in common with Silent Hill games actually impacts me. It's not about ego - it's about making sure I get the games I want to play. I'd say the same thing whether I was a mod or not.

I am a selfish gamer, I make no bones about it. You are too, everyone is. When it impacts a series I like, I'm going to say something. Do you not understand how diverting resources to games that might as well be from a different series is negative to someone who actually likes Silent Hill games for what they originally were?

I respect that you might disagree with my ASSESSMENT, however. You might feel it's very in tune with the Silent Hill strengths. I'm just not going to base my perspectives on someone else's opinion, right?

Dascu

Random thought: I think it would be interesting if they adopted some kind of lock-on system like that in Eternal Darkness. Where you can "aim" at specific parts of the body and this would have an effect on how useful your attacks are. Say, lock-on to the legs of an enemy to make him slower, or hit his head to make him blind, or hit his arms to make his attacks weaker. This could work well with the entire concept of weakening your foes and then running away. Of course, this shouldn't be exaggerated and it certainly shouldn't be like Zelda Z-targeting with crosshairs hovering over your enemies or anything like that.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Amir0x said:
If it's any consolation, though, we all hate QTE. Down with QTE!

I.. don't mind QTEs *blush*

Unless they're shitty QTEs like the 'shake off the naked rapist molester groping you' QTEs in Shattered Memories.

Top Bottom