• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar PS3 - Official Thread: Share your drunken vorspiel videos!

Tntnnbltn

AranhaHunter said:
Have they ever explained why the DRM for the songs downloaded off Singstore is such bullshit?
Not officially, but the basic principle is they didn't want to allow the usual five system activation system. Presumably the record companies applied some pressure in that particular area. Given the troubles licensing music so far with the DRM, I wouldn't like to imagine the licensing issues without it.

That being said, if you only have the one console it really doesn't affect you that much. It was worse back in early 2008 though with support centres being unprepared for the first batch of people needing refunds.

lupinko

Tntnnbltn said:
And doesn't have a music video. I wonder if they picked it because it would be cheap to license, giving them more leeway in licensing newer songs from the Viva la Vida album...

Having no music video doesn't matter all that much though, since London Studio have already brought in songs with no music videos (some of the Christmas songs, one of the Roy Orbison songs, I'm pretty sure that Elvis song, and I think American Pie since that looks live concert footage rather than a music video, could be wrong tho) which they just make up new music videos or just find live footage for. EDIT: I misread what you said, but still, lacking a music video will not stop London Studio (just incredibly stupid decisions do).

And yeah, would be great for more Delta songs, I wish we could get Live Together, the duet she did with Juju, but that's never going to happen unless we see a Singstar release for Japan. ='(

Tntnnbltn said:
Not officially, but the basic principle is they didn't want to allow the usual five system activation system. Presumably the record companies applied some pressure in that particular area. Given the troubles licensing music so far with the DRM, I wouldn't like to imagine the licensing issues without it.

That being said, if you only have the one console it really doesn't affect you that much. It was worse back in early 2008 though with support centres being unprepared for the first batch of people needing refunds.

I can understand them not wanting the 5 system thing as that would allow sharing, but they should tie it to your PSN account, not the machine, what if my PS3 craps out? Plus I will want to replace my old PS3 with the PSThree when that comes out.

Doel

lupinko said:
They refund your money and you rebuy the songs again with said refunded money.
What if I want to replace my harddrive with a larger one? Will they refund money for that? I'm in dire need of a new harddrive right now.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Doel said:
What if I want to replace my harddrive with a larger one? Will they refund money for that? I'm in dire need of a new harddrive right now.
it is based on the PS3's MAC address. changing hard drives doesn't affect it, and actually the Singstar game data (which has the songs in it) should copy just fine. when I sent my unit in, the only thing I remember not copying was my Eye of Judgment save.

mus6677

Remy said:
Refund it into your PSN account, that is.

This is not happen to me, they just reset the SingStore downloads so i can download my songs on to my new PS3. It takes about 1 week after I call for the songs to be resetted.

lupinko

mus6677 said:
This is not happen to me, they just reset the SingStore downloads so i can download my songs on to my new PS3. It takes about 1 week after I call for the songs to be resetted.

Ok, this is kinda better.

Tntnnbltn

AranhaHunter said:
I can understand them not wanting the 5 system thing as that would allow sharing, but they should tie it to your PSN account, not the machine
Tieing it to your PSN account and not the machine would be the 5 system thing.

Tntnnbltn said:
Tieing it to your PSN account and not the machine would be the 5 system thing.

I'm pretty sure they can limit the amount of active licenses, so only 1 (or 5 if they want) active licenses at a time, so for instance when the PSThree comes out, I can sell my old PS3, inactivate that machine and get my download back to the new PSThree, furthermore when the PS4 comes out, I can inactivate the PSThree and get the download back to the PS4 and so on.

Anyways that's the only way I would buy stuff off the Singstore, otherwise just disc versions for me and I'm still waiting for the wireless mics.

Tntnnbltn

AranhaHunter said:
I'm pretty sure they can limit the amount of active licenses, so only 1 (or 5 if they want) active licenses at a time, so for instance when the PSThree comes out, I can sell my old PS3, inactivate that machine and get my download back to the new PSThree, furthermore when the PS4 comes out, I can inactivate the PSThree and get the download back to the PS4 and so on.
I guess that's a possibility, but you could still have the instance of people selling off their second-hand SingStore songs to other people. PS4 is going to be an interesting issue.

(Offnote: Ooh, you're threeleggedfreak. I see you signing in and out all the time on PSN, but never made the connection between GAF name and PSN name.)

Tntnnbltn said:
I guess that's a possibility, but you could still have the instance of people selling off their second-hand SingStore songs to other people. PS4 is going to be an interesting issue.

(Offnote: Ooh, you're threeleggedfreak. I see you signing in and out all the time on PSN, but never made the connection between GAF name and PSN name.)

I don't see the problem with that as they have already purchased the content. Of course if they later decided to get another PS3 they would have to purchase the content again (if they were to map it to your PSN ID and limit it to one active machine), and yes that would be my PSN ID and I'm usually on at least once a day.

Stats from Europe.

PR said:
It’s a special occasion at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe – SingStar® is celebrating its 1,000th downloadable track on SingStore™ for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™). Since its launch in December 2007, SingStar on PS3 won the hearts of SingStars as the ultimate party centerpiece for friends and family. SingStars have since downloaded 4 million extra tracks from SingStore and uploaded nearly 100,000 video performances to My SingStar Online. With more than 1,000 tracks now available in SingStore, it’s no surprise that more than 6,000 new SingStars per week are signing up.

SingStore is the place where SingStars go to download the tracks they want to sing – and, in the course of a year, the number of songs on offer has grown to an amazing 1,000 tracks with many, many more on the way. SongPacks – collections of five-song downloads – arrived with the first Ultimate Queen SongPack. Since then, SongPacks have sold 57,000 copies since launching in October 2008. We now have Britney and are soon to add Billy Joel and Madness amongst other key artists. SingStars across the PAL territories have now downloaded more than 4 million tracks from SingStore – that’s 60,000 tracks per week! The top SingStore download is Bonnie Tyler’s Total Eclipse of the Heart – with Europe’s Final Countdown and Pink’s Just Like A Pill following hard on its heels.

My SingStar Online is the hub of SingStars PS3 in-game community where SingStars go to show off their best performances and check out other people’s. Since its launch, nearly 400,000 SingStars have registered with nearly 100,000 video performances uploaded to My SingStar Online. A staggering 9.3 million My SingStar Online videos have been viewed so far!

“Since its launch, SingStar for PS3 has gone from strength to strength,” says Dave Raynard, Executive Producer of SingStar, Sony Computer Entertainment, London Studio. “My personal highlight has to be winning three Guinness World Records: Most Successful Singing Game, First Customisable Track in a Singing Game and First Music Game to Let Players Record Their Performances and Share Them
Online. And we keep getting better - if you haven’t joined the party yet, now is the time!”

With a number of strong SongPacks on SingStore and a growing My SingStar Online in-game community: SingStar is the worlds ultimate singing game and a genuine phenomenon since its launch on PlayStation®2 in 2004. More than 16 million SingStar units have now been sold, making it Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s leading social games brand, one of the world’s most famous games – and an essential component of any house party.

Gibb

Doel said:
Sync your trophies, backup your current harddrive on USB drive, install new 500GB harddrive, restore your backup, done!

I did this, it works like a charm (don't worry about the missing trophies, just start up your games and the trophies will re-appear)

Tntnnbltn

truth-lasers said:
Stats from Europe.
Wow, awesome. Thanks. :)

SingStars across the PAL territories have now downloaded more than 4 million tracks from SingStore – that’s 60,000 tracks per week!
Looks like that back-calculation we did a couple weeks back was valid (1 song every ten seconds --> 60,000 songs per week). That's probably where they got their figure from. In reality, I would expect the actual weekly sales to be higher. The 4 million songs LTD would include the earlier months where there was a smaller userbase and smaller selection of songs. The current rate should easily be surpassing the LTD average.

lupinko

I want New York State of Mind dammit, and I don't want to double dip if they are going to include it with Billy Joel songs I already own. =/

Tntnnbltn

MadFuzzy said:
Also, Madness songpack = awesome.
I wonder if that has anything to do with the random Madness cover I found a while back (100MZZ). I thought at the time it must have been a regional disc track.

image_100MZZ.jpg

agm2502

Tntnnbltn said:
I wonder if that has anything to do with the random Madness cover I found a while back (100MZZ). I thought at the time it must have been a regional disc track.

Possibly, I'm hoping/expecting it to have their most famous songs, well the ones I know anyway like Our house, House of fun, Lovestruck etc..

MadFuzzy

Tntnnbltn said:

No that's definitely new. The Madness songs made available in Singstar to date have only been available on disc (Our House is on 80s and House of Fun is on Summer Party).

gcubed

does Singstar Country work with the PS3 disc swapping yet? Inquiring minds (the wife mainly), want to know.

Also, any word on US Wireless mic release dates? I've been waiting anxiously

Returners

gcubed said:
does Singstar Country work with the PS3 disc swapping yet? Inquiring minds (the wife mainly), want to know.

Also, any word on US Wireless mic release dates? I've been waiting anxiously

It should. Its able to read PS2 Singstar discs for a while now.

No word on US mics (theres not even a SKU listing on ebgames.com :( )

gcubed

Returners said:
It should. Its able to read PS2 Singstar discs for a while now.

No word on US mics (theres not even a SKU listing on ebgames.com :( )

last i heard country was either working sporadically or not at all, not sure if a patch fixed it

Tntnnbltn

gcubed said:
Still broken as of the most recent patch, IIRC.

agm2502 said:
Possibly, I'm hoping/expecting it to have their most famous songs, well the ones I know anyway like Our house, House of fun, Lovestruck etc..
Well there's a good chance that the following songs will make it...
thumb_1000LJ.jpg
1000LJ: "Our House"
thumb_100K8J.jpg
100K8J: "House Of Fun"
15fnm9g.jpg
100MZZ: "It Must Be Love"​

I don't know of any other Madness cover in the database.

gcubed

thanks Tntnnbltn, have they ever acknowledged it as a problem?

i'd also love it if they gave us the option to export the PS2 songs to hard drive instead of having to swap discs. This feature would make Singstar the best karaoke game ever. I can swap dics, its not a HUGE deal, but man just having all my ps2 songs available to browse instantly would make it that much better.

MadFuzzy

Tntnnbltn said:
I don't know of any other Madness cover in the database.

Needs more Baggy Trousers. And Embarrassment.

Still I guess this pack won't come until after they've got the Coldplay pack and additional Queen songs out of the way, so there's still time for them to add to it.

Tntnnbltn

Top Ten SingStore Downloads (LTD as of March 2009):
1. Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse Of The Heart
2. Europe - Final Countdown
3. Pink - Just Like A Pill
4. Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds
5. Natalie Imbruglia - Torn
6. Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
7. Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger
8. A-ha - Take On Me
9. Britney Spears - Baby One More Time
10. Don McLean - American Pie

(Source) -- Doesn't specify if it's UK or worldwide.

And for the record...

Top Ten UK SingStore Downloads (LTD as of November 2008):
1. Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse Of The Heart
2. Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds
3. Pink - Just Like A Pill
4. Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
5. Europe - Final Countdown
6. Don McClean - American Pie
7. The Fray - How To Save A Life
8. Erasure - A Little Respect
9. Natalie Imbruglia - Torn
10. The Monkees - Daydream Believer

McBacon said:
Yeah, they might

Edit: I'll probably send off an email to SCEE on Monday regarding the trophies. Can someone hook me up to a source of the "all 2009 PS3 games must have trophies" quote, please?

The game is pretty much exactly the same as SingStar ABBA; one wallpaper, a number of Queen songs (25, and five melodies) and not much else.

Not very exciting!

So did you ask them or what?

Tntnnbltn said:

Thanks for the link

BTW, I'm terrible with song names, I have probably heard and maybe even like the songs on that list, but I only recognize one or two....Also is the singstar official website up to date with the songs?

Tntnnbltn

MadFuzzy said:
My wireless mics have just arrived. I'll give them a go and also check compatibility with Rock Band later on today.
Should be exactly the same compatibility for everything as the wired mics, if they work like I think they do.

Top Bottom