• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sir Galahad: The Hero Of 1886

Loudninja

Earlier this month we highlighted the central squad members who fight by your side in The Order: 1886, but who do you control along the way? Today we shine the light on Galahad, the central character of the story, and glean some insight from the developers about what we can expect from this new protagonist.

“Galahad is one of the elder knights in the Order,” says creative director Ru Weerasuriya. “He’s connected with a group of people in the knights who have given him purpose, and that purpose happened to be to never question anything. He comes to the point, when the game starts, where there are things he’s always taken for granted and he realizes things are not as they seem.” As a character, Galahad begins the story as a steadfast and mostly unquestioning soldier in the ranks, even if he sometimes has doubts about the current doctrines that guide the knights of the Order.

When designing Galahad for The Order, the development team looked to the historical use of the Galahad name in Arthurian legend, and drew inspiration from those stories. Like the Galahad of real-world legend, Galahad in The Order is renowned for his gallantry, and being among the best of the knights.

However, the world of The Order’s alternate history 1886 challenges Galahad’s gallant nature with complicated ethical issues and gray moral quandaries. Over the course of the story, we see Galahad attempt to redefine himself in the light of these new challenges. In particular, the emerging threat of an opposing force of rebels in London fighting against The Order offers a dilemma. The rebels believe that the knights have failed to protect the poor, and that Galahad and the rest of the knights only look out for the aristocracy. This complex class warfare is an emerging dilemma for Galahad, who has spent his life in battle against the supernatural threat of horrible half-breed creatures – it’s hard for him to wrap his mind around fighting his own kind. Through the course of the game, we learn who he is through his responses to these conflicts. “He’s the blank canvas that you start painting on,” says Weerasuriya. “Everything that is going to happen in this game is going to define who he is. And it’s going to bring back who he was – who he has repressed.”
Beyond his relationships to both the characters and the world around him, our time at Ready At Dawn revealed Galahad as an impressively expressive protagonist thanks to the powerful visual technology of the game. Above and beyond Galahad’s unabashedly awesome mustache, the game often takes time to show off cinematic moments in which Galahad emotes and speaks with startling facial realism. This potent sense of authenticity is juxtaposed with the unusual and fantastic elements of The Order: 1886, and helps its main character of Galahad to stand out as a hero to watch in 2014’s increasingly crowded list of next-gen games.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/10/28/sir-galahad-the-hero-of-1886.aspx

He has a Wyatt Earp vibe going, reminds me of him in Tombstone a little.

Tombstone%20Wyatt%20&%20Doc%20on%20Fence.jpg

Not from the side .. but you get the idea.

Empty

such a cool character design

The rebels believe that the knights have failed to protect the poor, and that Galahad and the rest of the knights only look out for the aristocracy.

i reaaaly hope this game doesn't have some kind of hamfisted occupy wallstreet the 1% message. at least they're talking about it in terms of how it reflects his character, that's encouraging

calder

I have a beard I could trim like that, and if I grew my hair out for a month I could easily use the same style. We even have the same hair colour and similar grey-hair levels.....

But no, it would not look as good on me sadly lol.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Has anyone seen the first episode of Dracula? It reminds me of this game so much and funnily enough, those that fight against him are called 'The Order Of the Dragon, which is shortened to The Order.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I have a beard I could trim like that, and if I grew my hair out for a month I could easily use the same style. We even have the same hair colour and similar grey-hair levels.....

But no, it would not look as good on me sadly lol.

Need a few more collars and a heroic cleft & stare.

Lain

He looks cool, though maybe a bit too good looking despite the rugged look.
Reminds me a bit of Tom Selleck.

Ishan

i actually think the young guy is more appealing ... this is a gruff guy (joel) to that guys (drake) .... and while im hyped about this game im not sure rad can pull off a compeling story tackling all the mature motifs they are trying to incorporate ...

normally i wouldnt care all that much about the story but they are trying to make this a filmic cinematic experience

Kind of boring tbh. Same kind of square jawed middle aged white guy that we've seen a thousand times this past gen. But I guess when you are making a huge budget aaa shooter you can't afford to take risks with something as forefront as lead character design.

i-Lo

Kind of boring tbh. Same kind of square jawed middle aged white guy that we've seen a thousand times this past gen. But I guess when you are making a huge budget aaa shooter you can't afford to take risks with something as forefront as lead character design.

What a load of bollocks. Find me another character design akin to that to lend some credibility.

Savitar

I rather like this type of character.

It's not the standard gung ho soldier, the hot headed youth or the buxom sexpot female.

Depending on where they take him his story might be one of the more fun experiences since you simply don't see it so much in video games these days.

Parablank

Seems kind of generically designed but that mustache makes up for everything

end game is you taking down the order confirmed

Gadirok

This is actually my favorite character design in along time. I mean it just looks so different and cool.

And typically I don't like the UK.

This character design and game... I must have it.

His character design and the attention to detail on his clothing are impressive. My jaw dropped when I saw that E3 trailer.

Please release this game soon RaD.

Sotha_Sil

Obviously haven't seen gameplay, but The Order seems to have an excellent universe and art direction, which is almost half the battle when it comes to me.

Odrion

Banned
Obviously haven't seen gameplay, but The Order seems to have an excellent universe and art direction, which is almost half the battle when it comes to me.
Yeah, the art in this game is just magnificent. But I want to see more gameplay footage, if they can show me that there's more to the game than it being Sony's version of Gears of War, then I'll be psyched.

I absolutely love his character design. That mustache is so iconic. I feel like he's going to be a character we will never forget, just like Joel.

such a cool character design

i reaaaly hope this game doesn't have some kind of hamfisted occupy wallstreet the 1% message. at least they're talking about it in terms of how it reflects his character, that's encouraging

there were demonstrations and unrest around this time in real world london because of unemployment and poor conditions

whether they try tie that into any modern message i guess we won't know till the game is out

Top Bottom