• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Character Beowulf launches April 17 for PS3/360/PC

tumblr_nlyhf7RgPq1rcc880o1_500.gif

They're all good, just I think people were surprised how well this one turned out.

Originally it was going to be more of a "joke" story, but ended up not being one.

Oh I'm glad it's not a jokeish story, actually so excited right now!!

Ravidrath

Ravi, will you be a Combo Breaker?

Assuming you mean "at Combo Breaker," the answer is no.

Assuming what you typed was what you actually meant, also probably no?

FINALLY

Though I was under the impression Robo Fortune was to be released at the same time as Beowulf?

That was the original plan, because the original budget didn't have enough money for two testing sessions.

But when Robo-Fortune became much more than a standard remix character and we realized that adding lobbies to the final patch would require a lot of testing, we split her off.

Currently the plan is to release Robo-Fortune at the same time as the PS4 version. Since there's PS3/PS4 cross-play, she'll get a "free" testing session, and it'll boost PS3 online play right as all the new PS4 players are coming into the fold.

That was the original plan, because the original budget didn't have enough money for two testing sessions.

But when Robo-Fortune became much more than a standard remix character and we realized that adding lobbies to the final patch would require a lot of testing, we split her off.

Currently the plan is to release Robo-Fortune at the same time as the PS4 version. Since there's PS3/PS4 cross-play, she'll get a "free" testing session, and it'll boost PS3 online play right as all the new PS4 players are coming into the fold.

Thanks, I appreciate the response. Good call on the cross play, too.

Pics_nao

I should really sit down one day and try to learn this game. I've barely played any of it.
Donated $200 too...

Zubz

Banned
Beowulf and Mewtwo in the same week? This is gonna be a good week. I was already hype for Beowulf as a completed fighter, but now I'm especially excited for his story, too. The game's story has always been fantastic, and now Beowulf's is apparently one of the best? I can't wait to see how it plays out! I just hope that the story doesn't end with him (But fully understand if it has to)!

joe2187

Banned
Official trailer from the PSblog. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...id=588356469256425473&adbpl=tw&adbpr=10671602

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEIF5u3-9Z4

Also for Mauricio

Also some interesting news on the PS4/Vita version of Skullgirls being renamed

Why did we want to keep the subtitles similar? Because Skullgirls 2nd Encore will support cross-platform play across the entire PlayStation family: PS4, PS3, and PS Vita users will all be able to play against each other online!

16954410999_7beec25dc7_z.jpg

New stage music was actually done by Brenton Kossak and Blaine McGurty, who did many of the cutscene tunes in the game.

But it's still godlike
Interesting, I'm digging the empty arena version right now.

As someone mentioned, it's Brenton and Blaine, and they did an amazing job.

We did give Yamane a chance, but she just wasn't getting the mood / cheese / etc. of American pro-wrestling, so we had to move on to get him done.

Don't worry, though - Robo-Fortune's stage had a new Yamane track, and a previous stage with reused music will be getting a Yamane remix, too.
Hah, well I suppose not everyone can grasp the nuances and unique drama of professional wrestling.
Even more tracks to come though? Hot damn, a contender for best fighting game OST only gets stronger still.

Piccoro

Why did we want to keep the subtitles similar? Because Skullgirls 2nd Encore will support cross-platform play across the entire PlayStation family: PS4, PS3, and PS Vita users will all be able to play against each other online!

Cross play across all 3 consoles??? That is awesome! :D

ZoronMaro

As someone who isn't a fan of wrestling I was a little disappointed when Beowulf won the voting, but I'll be damned if those moves don't look super hype. I'm not sure if I should change my opinion of wrestling or if Lab Zero are simply masters that can turn anything into gold. Excited to try him out.

Neoxon

I keep forgetting that my PS3 stick will work on the PS4 version. Will my trophies carry over as well?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
April 17, 2015, a date which will live in infamy.

ZoronMaro

Nope, because Skullgirls 2nd Encore has a mostly-new, full Platinum set of trophies.

Why didn't it have one in the first place? I assume trophy rules have changed on PSN since I see a lot more smaller games with full trophy lists, also probably wasn't a priority for you guys. Just curious, I can't wait to buy this a third time.

Ravidrath

Why didn't it have one in the first place? I assume trophy rules have changed on PSN since I see a lot more smaller games with full trophy lists, also probably wasn't a priority for you guys. Just curious, I can't wait to buy this a third time.

Sony has "small scale" and "large scale" games, and 3 years ago it was pretty hard to get a full Platinum on a PSN game if you weren't Sony.

Actually tried for it, and they seemed cool with it, but then came the issue of making / implementing a ton of trophies on one platform and not getting to use them on the other.

Ravidrath

Man that trailer was great.

Btw Ravi, is there an approximate time we can expect the Steam update to hit at?

The weird Friday PSN update is expected around noon PT, so I think Mike will be pushing it live around then.

And I'll DEPLOY the PS3 patch to all territories a few hours before the EU store updates, provided I can figure out when that is.

Hey hey look at us, we are launching DLC too!

Who even plays this game anymore?

DAY FUCKING 1, also I want this on PS4 and Vita yesterday

Shredderi

Man, given how many memory issues we had with Big Band, at this point I'd say I'm glad he didn't.

Oh I understand :D He just happened to be my favourite character out of many good designs you guys were showing. Beowulf is cool so not a problem really.

Just play Guilty Gear XRD, he is in there.

Oh man believe me I would. Shame that it takes so fucking long for aksys to get the game to europe.

Saikyo

Oh man believe me I would. Shame that it takes so fucking long for aksys to get the game to europe.

After Persona Ultimax took a long time to be released on Europe and without free DLCs, I think its better to import or buy digital from PSN USA...

Top Bottom