• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Linari

Neo Member
Hi, I recently got the game on Steam and I'm trying to go for either Squigly/Filia or Peacock/Filia.

1. I know Updo assist as Filia is great, but which version/strength should I choose?

2. What I should do for Squigly as an assist and how to approach the neutral game with her?

3. Peacock as an assist is either mk George or st. hp because of its range and lockdown potential, but I was wondering if there are any other potential assists I should look into and general things on the neutral game with her as well?

4. Also how do assist work in this game? I know mvc2 and mvc3 have separate assist buttons, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting them out without having to whiff a normal during matches. For example, I want to jump back with Peacock/Squigly and call Filia assist without having to whiff a button in the air. Its a bit annoying.

5. I have combos on each of them (kinda beginner-ish and I don't know move names sorry about that), was wondering what I could do to improve them?

With Filia: cr.lk, st.mp, cr.mk, st.hp, j.mkxx airball hk, adc, j.lp, j.hk, cr. lk, st.hp, j.mpxx airball mkxx qcb+KK, cr.mp, cr.hp or dp+PP

With Peacock: st.lpx2, st.mp, st.mk, j.lp, j.lk, j.mp, adc, j.lp, j.mp, st.lpx2, st.mp, cr.hpxx qcf+hpxx qcf+PP

Or st.lpx2, st.mp, st.hkxx qcb+hp, dash st.lpx2, st.mp, cr.hpxxqcf+hpxx qcf+PP

With Squigly: I know the cr.lk, cr.mk, st.hk, j.hkxx hk divekick, j.lp, j.mk, j.hkxx mk divekick -> ??? Don't know where to go from there.

Other than that, I've have played this game before (xbox version), but had given up on it within 30 mins of matches due to some other issues, but its clicking with me now somewhat.

Hi, I recently got the game on Steam and I'm trying to go for either Squigly/Filia or Peacock/Filia.

1. I know Updo assist as Filia is great, but which version/strength should I choose? Light punch version should be fine. This is what I normally see in use.

2. What I should do for Squigly as an assist and how to approach the neutral game with her? Depends on what characters you are playing. If you get good enough with Filia you can jump around your opponent even without an assist. That is when stuff like qcf.mk and qcf.mp does the trick. Squigly's neutral game is all about learning the right moment to use qcf.mk on point, knowing how to properly charge her specials while moving around your opponent and knowing exactly when to use daisy pusher (against supers and post jump characters.

3. Peacock as an assist is either mk George or st. hp because of its range and lockdown potential, but I was wondering if there are any other potential assists I should look into and general things on the neutral game with her as well? All the George assists are good in their own ways (HK gives you some air protection and it's a bit harder to nullify than the grounded Georges). I believe mp item drop is still a solid tracking assist. You might have to check in the lab.

4. Also how do assist work in this game? I know mvc2 and mvc3 have separate assist buttons, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting them out without having to whiff a normal during matches. For example, I want to jump back with Peacock/Squigly and call Filia assist without having to whiff a button in the air. Its a bit annoying. I set an assist macro on L2 (bottom left trigger on PS pads) and my dash macro to L1.

5. I have combos on each of them (kinda beginner-ish and I don't know move names sorry about that), was wondering what I could do to improve them?

With Filia: cr.lk, st.mp, cr.mk, st.hp, j.mkxx airball hk, adc, j.lp, j.hk, cr. lk, st.hp, j.mpxx airball mkxx qcb+KK, cr.mp, cr.hp or dp+PP

With Peacock: st.lpx2, st.mp, st.mk, j.lp, j.lk, j.mp, adc, j.lp, j.mp, st.lpx2, st.mp, cr.hpxx qcf+hpxx qcf+PP

Or st.lpx2, st.mp, st.hkxx qcb+hp, dash st.lpx2, st.mp, cr.hpxxqcf+hpxx qcf+PP

With Squigly: I know the cr.lk, cr.mk, st.hk, j.hkxx hk divekick, j.lp, j.mk, j.hkxx mk divekick -> ??? Don't know where to go from there.

Squigly - It's late and I only play Squigs against scrubs, but I usually keep it short outside of standard combos like yours. She is solid at resets since silver chord mid combo can lead to throw+super battle opera and some solid (and safe) reset opportunities with the divekicks.

One BnB for Squigly I like:
cr.mk, st.hk, j.lp, j.mk, j.hk, mk divekick
st.lp, st.mp, st.hk, j.lk, j.mk, j.hk, mk divekick
st.lk, st.mk, st.hp, silver chord, (end with daisy pusher, throw+super battle opera followed by reset, charged special, etc.).

I like this because you can use this to punish accordingly if you get a happy birthday (silver chord drops assists, but drag 'n bite and one inch punch don't). Don't hk divekicks let assists drop out? You also need corner carry sometimes and this definitely does it.

Other than that, I've have played this game before (xbox version), but had given up on it within 30 mins of matches due to some other issues, but its clicking with me now somewhat.
Don't get discouraged if you get whupped. You play thousands of matches and still run into people who make rag dolls out of you. I know this from personal experience.

Linari

Neo Member
I forgot to mention I play on stick not pad, so macros won't help. Thanks for the tips though.

Getting beat up doesn't worry me at all and I generally play to learn when it comes to playing new games. Luckily this game has ggpo (unlike KOF) so lag is not much of a hassle.

Kioshen

I'm going to play SG for the next hour or so if somebody wants to spar.

Edit: Annnnnd I'm out. Thanks to Beats for graciously beating my ass once again :). Got some fraudulent wins with solobella but I got some on the boards yay \o/.

Kioshen

I'm never going to hit that corner combo online.. >.<

You mean that hard hitting combo you listed earlier ? Yeah probably not since you don't have a lockdown assist but hey I've had a look at it and you could modify the last string just a little to squeeze more damage out of it.

j.HP, j.HK
j.HK, airdash, j.HP, j.HK
st.HP
j.LP, j.HK, Hairball H, airdash
j.MP, j.HK
cr.LP, st.MK, st. HP, DP super

Instead of that you could use cr.LP, st.MK, cr.HP xx HK Hairball, Assist xx super

You probably know that but either go with Fenrir drive for max damage and corner pressure or Gregor for midscreen undizzy bait with HP xx Fake ringlet.

Beats

BBCP and SkullGirls being second and first seems perfect to me. Idk what DoA5 is doing in 3rd though XD

Team Ninja tweeted about the poll a bunch of times asking fans to vote. lol

You mean that hard hitting combo you listed earlier ? Yeah probably not since you don't have a lockdown assist but hey I've had a look at it and you could modify the last string just a little to squeeze more damage out of it.

Yeah that one. It's just the delay between the j.HP and j.HK in the first part that I can't pull off in a real match >.<

Kioshen

Yeah that one. It's just the delay between the j.HP and j.HK in the first part that I can't pull off in a real match >.<

What about the tweak that I've proposed ? It doesn't add a lot but it does add damage. Also because you always keep me in blockstun with Squigs I'm trying to learn PBGC :p. It is not going well lol.

Thank you, a person named c_wraith traded his extra parasoul for my extra double.
Glad I could help
Nice it's winning the "Best Fighting Game of the Year"
Makes sense

This year wasn't very competitive.
Skullgirls community is just too used to polls and voting. An acquired group skill.
Not to mention throwing all our cash at the screen every chance we get. No wonder we can't break out of the poverty category.

Beats

What about the tweak that I've proposed ? It doesn't add a lot but it does add damage. Also because you always keep me in blockstun with Squigs I'm trying to learn PBGC :p. It is not going well lol.

I don't think I can get it to work. It doesn't seem possible for the assist to come out in time after the HK Hairball, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. >.< What's PBGC?

Ravidrath

Just a small update on Skullgirls Encore's progress...

It's currently in test at SCEA! If all goes well, you should have your new old game and Squigly in a few weeks' time.

More updates when we know more - thanks for your patience!

Kioshen

I don't think I can get it to work. It doesn't seem possible for the assist to come out in time after the HK Hairball, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. >.< What's PBGC?

Depends on your assist I guess but you can call the assist at the same time when doing HK Hairball like doing qcb+MK+HK+HP or qcb+HK+Ax. As for PBGC ...

PushBlock Guard Cancel, pretty much doing a move as soon as you pushblock

Not quite right, it's doing a move right as the pushblock's animation end. A reversal for pushblocking more or less. It enables the defender to be able to sneak in an invincible move without meter.

It's currently in test at SCEA! If all goes well, you should have your new old game and Squigly in a few weeks' time.

Finally some good news ! Keep it up L0 xD.

Beats

I see. I totally forgot about that mechanic.

I hope everything goes well for the console patch.

edit:

From Mariel's Twitter:

eliza_walk_fwd.gif

Awesome. I just played through Earthbound for the first time btw. Was cool to see where your avatar comes from.

Ravidrath

Awesome. I just played through Earthbound for the first time btw. Was cool to see where your avatar comes from.

I chose it because I was a game designer, and that's pretty much what Brick Road is. He just became the embodiment of his work.

Guess I need to find a CEO figure in a game for a new avatar or something. Someone suggested Heihachi because he's a CEO and I've been working out, but I don't think I could ever relate to a Tekken character.

NEO0MJ

I chose it because I was a game designer, and that's pretty much what Brick Road is. He just became the embodiment of his work.

Guess I need to find a CEO figure in a game for a new avatar or something. Someone suggested Heihachi because he's a CEO and I've been working out, but I don't think I could ever relate to a Tekken character.

Sure you can relate to Heihachi. All you have to do is imprison your father in chains under the Lab Zero building, throw your son into bottomless well and then a volcano, and mentally torture and manipulate your grandson. You might also want to raise a pet bear and teach it how to fight!

I love good old Heihachi. Well, not so old anymore but still, amazing fighting game character.

Taking a dump on Tekken? Could you get any better? ;)

Eliza is looking great. I really hope that her staff mechanic feels intuitive to me.

Well many characters are CEOs of companies or organizations. You could be the Geese Howard of LabZero, sending Reppukens everywhere in the office.

You could be as badass as this : http://youtu.be/q81ptFSA4mk

Well many characters are CEOs of companies or organizations. You could be the Geese Howard of LabZero, sending Reppukens everywhere in the office.

You could be as badass as this : http://youtu.be/q81ptFSA4mk

But then he runs the risk of getting kicked out of the window of a really tall building and smashing against the ground with survival depending on the timeline it is and then his rival adopts his son anyways.

But then he runs the risk of getting kicked out of the window of a really tall building and smashing against the ground with survival depending on the timeline it is and then his rival adopts his son anyways.

They aren't so much buildings in LA right ? So if Ravi is the new Geese Howard, he can survive a 4 to 6 level fall without a problem. :3

Back to the game : watching the Salty from last night. Right next after Mike Z. changelog time, you can see Shin At Proof Valentine doing great matches (http://www.twitch.tv/eightysixed/b/494335409 around 20:00). Loving the way he moves with her and his reactions are amazing. Makes me want to play the character so here I go : what do you have to know to play a good Nurse ? Not combos but from a strategy/gameplay/tricks point of view ?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Awesome to hear Ravi.

Some fixes for super gain for Peacock and Painwheel, unblockable setup with Squiggly removed (note + tomb super on wakeup), and a lot of thing for Big Band like definitve frames startups of rush punch, cymbals and stuff.

El Sloth

Banned
Haha, yeah, it's definitely not very user freindly at the moment. At least it promotes greater understanding of frame data! Sort of!

Beats

Hmm, what's the status on Big Band? Will he be put in the game at roughly the same time for PC and consoles once he's done?

Add another company to the conga line. Remember the official merch store before Eighty Sixed? They went bust.

(To clarify, Eighty Sixed is still solvent, it's the company that Skullgirls used to sell merch back in the Reverge days that's gone bust)

Ravidrath

Add another company to the conga line. Remember the official merch store before Eighty Sixed? They went bust.

(To clarify, Eighty Sixed is still solvent, it's the company that Skullgirls used to sell merch back in the Reverge days that's gone bust)

Man.

To make matter worse, it looks like their site was functional for a bit after they were out of business, so we have a few people complaining that they placed orders that will never get filled.

Going to try and reward them for their trouble, but... man.

Ravidrath

Lab Zero and Skull Girls can't catch a god damn break, can they? It's always something.

For what's it's worth, MashOn didn't go out of business because of us - I think they were doing poorly across the board.

Eighty Sixed did a HUGE amount of T-shirt sales last year, and on the whole our merch sales are doing really well. Which is insane because the game is literally the cheapest thing you can buy, aside from the OST.

Top Bottom