• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Ravidrath

Didn't see it posted, so figured I would...!

When Skullgirls comes back to the stores, it'll be called "Skullgirls Encore!"

We're just trying to differentiate the game from the Konami era, in your Trophy list, etc. And it fit with that being the console intro of the IGG content.

Same game, slightly altered name.

NEO0MJ

Ha, cute. Personally I was hoping you'd go with "slightly different edition" but I guess it's too late for that subtitle :p

Watching the stream now, someone asked about the arcade release.

Mike says the contract was signed.

Need more details if you've got any Ravid!

Ravidrath

Watching the stream now, someone asked about the arcade release.

Mike says the contract was signed.

Need more details if you've got any Ravid!

We haven't heard anything from them since the contract was signed.

Just in case this isn't an instance of "no news is good news," I just shot an e-mail off to them to see how they're doing, if they need any support from us, etc.

The last thing I heard from Autumn was that they were expecting a release in early Spring, but who knows if that will change or not.

Moonlight

Banned
Been trying to get back into SG proper recently, and I'm doing a little better than when I first picked the game up (insofar as being a little more consistent on inputs). I think I'm having quite a bit of fun with Filia, finally understanding Chompadour. Been spending most of my time with Peacock, though, and I can't actually say I'm any good at her. Jumped into quick matches and got eviscerated. Really bad at discipline, I think. Stuff like cancelling into Supers is utterly beyond me when I'm not fighting a defenseless puppet, heh.

Oh, and Parasoul. I can't play her for squat, and getting anywhere near her with all those napalm tears is damn near impossible.

zeemumu

I started out with Filia, then moved into using Valentine. Now I can't get back into using Filia enough to have a two-person team because I'm too used to Valentine's reach with her kicks.

Kieli

I have the PS3 version and unfortunately missed out on the free Squiggly DLC time-frame.

I tried buying her yesterday, but couldn't find her anywhere in the PS store. Is she still up for sale?

Saikyo

I have the PS3 version and unfortunately missed out on the free Squiggly DLC time-frame.

I tried buying her yesterday, but couldn't find her anywhere in the PS store. Is she still up for sale?

Dont worry, Squiggly has not been added on the PS3 version yet.

Kioshen

Sorry for the double post but I figure this needs to be written somewhere. I can't find something definitive so what about them weight class now in SG Encore ?

Big Band > Double > Cerebella > Parasoul > Valentine > Filia > Squigly > Ms. Fortune > Painwheel > Peacock

Really not sure about Squigs.

Edit : Might as well continue the monologue :p

Hmm, not sure if I can get more out of Filia in the corner.

j.HP, j.HK
j.HK, airdash, j.HP, j.HK
st.HP
j.LP, j.HK, Hairball H, airdash
j.MP, j.HK
cr.LP, st.MK, st. HP, DP super

It does 6.5k without the super and 8k with it. Having some difficulty getting it to work midscreen though.

This looks like a sweet combo to do but man that first part is hard to pull off consistently I'm an idiot it's actually easier than the j.LP, j.HK, Hairball because I don't seem to do it fast enough. You really need to be low to the ground so that it even links. Where did you see that done or did you figure it out yourself ?

Mr. X

Looks like there's a renewed interest in the game because I've been flooded with match videos in my sub box on youtube xD.

Edit: Cross posting from FGW

This is the one thing I wanted MikeZ rip from KI so bad ! Can't wait for it to come to the main branch.

It's in the PC non-Beta too. I only check the Beta notes.

Beats

This looks like a sweet combo to do but man that first part is hard to pull off consistently I'm an idiot it's actually easier than the j.LP, j.HK, Hairball because I don't seem to do it fast enough. You really need to be low to the ground so that it even links. Where did you see that done or did you figure it out yourself ?

You just delay the HK slightly in the first part and for the j.LP, j.HK, Hairball you just do j.LP as soon as you jump. Actually I'm trying it again now and I think j.LK is better/easier. I did it myself in training, but I dunno if anyone else has done it or if there's a video of it. >.<

Rhapsody

Banned
Didn't see it posted, so figured I would...!

When Skullgirls comes back to the stores, it'll be called "Skullgirls Encore!"

We're just trying to differentiate the game from the Konami era, in your Trophy list, etc. And it fit with that being the console intro of the IGG content.

Same game, slightly altered name.

Hopefully it won't take too long for it to come back in stores. Been waiting for Squigly and I don't have a PC.

Also, can anyone give me any good YT channels for match videos?

Ravidrath

Small update.

After weeks of wrangling, we finally got Konami to agree to delay the PSN deactivation until 12/31.

So there will still be some store downtime in January, most likely, but this should help keep it to a minimum.

CrossRhythm

Neo Member
Small update.

After weeks of wrangling, we finally got Konami to agree to delay the PSN deactivation until 12/31.

So there will still be some store downtime in January, most likely, but this should help keep it to a minimum.

That's awesome! But I'm still never buying Konami's games.

Krackatoa

Small update.

Congrats.

Here's hoping people think it's a sequel and double dip. #hoohoohoo

Also, interest for an EVO appearance doesn't seem to have simmered as much as I had thought it would, you guys going to be having another go at the EVO rodéo if you guys get a chance? NEC Top 8 was stimulating.

Kioshen

It's in the PC non-Beta too. I only check the Beta notes.

All hail Based Wippler this is even better !

You just delay the HK slightly in the first part and for the j.LP, j.HK, Hairball you just do j.LP as soon as you jump. Actually I'm trying it again now and I think j.LK is better/easier. I did it myself in training, but I dunno if anyone else has done it or if there's a video of it. >.<

Thanks I managed to solidify the first section and I'll look at doing the j.lp/j.lk section. It's a fun combo to do with all the fierces all over the place like a Magnus ROM combo.

Edit: Finally been able to pull it off 2 or 3 times now but for some reason i'm getting 10k with super. Until I can pull it off consistently I'll keep watch on the meter but man does that combo stretch that green bar lol.

Small update.

Good news in SG Land ? What is this sorcery !? Seriously this is great news since you won't get bumped out of the holiday period now and give MikeZ more time to work with.

Beats

Thanks I managed to solidify the first section and I'll look at doing the j.lp/j.lk section. It's a fun combo to do with all the fierces all over the place like a Magnus ROM combo.

Edit: Finally been able to pull it off 2 or 3 times now but for some reason i'm getting 10k with super. Until I can pull it off consistently I'll keep watch on the meter but man does that combo stretch that green bar lol.

Well, it will probably do 10k depending on the team sizes. But it should do about 8k with a 1.0 damage multiplier.

Because Skullgirls Encore is effectively a new game, Skullgirls Encore will have fresh leaderboards, you’ll have a new set of trophies to go for, and your previous save data will not be compatible

So we'll have to redo EVERYTHING? Are the trophies still gonna be the same as in the first version or will there be different ones not counting any that might be added for Squiggly?

So we'll have to redo EVERYTHING? Are the trophies still gonna be the same as in the first version or will there be different ones not counting any that might be added for Squiggly?

From the way it reads at least for the PS3 version is that it'll be a whole new trophy set and if that's the case then you'll probably have to earn those again.

The kinda upside is that anybody who gets on this now before the delisting gets 2 trophy sets instead of 1 and at the end gets a bullshit-free better Skullgirls to truly enjoy.

Ravidrath

They're the same trophies as before.

And we can't add trophies for Squigly yet because she's free. Once she moves into paid status, we're going to try and get some added then.

Kioshen

Well, it will probably do 10k depending on the team sizes. But it should do about 8k with a 1.0 damage multiplier.

Oh yeah team size ! That's the reason why because I was going 2vs3 in training mode. Man not playing after 3-4 months install more rust than I'd anticipate.

joe2187

Banned
Should I delete skullgirls off my hard drive so my PC doesn't explode? holy shit wtf is up with this games bad luck D:

15709-620x--1.png.jpg

anyone got any good tips/guides for Peacock
-j.HK is fantastic when jumping away from people and it makes for good IAD j.LP nonsense in the corner. Same goes for j.MK which gives you a high low game in the corner
-st.HP+"any bomb of your choice" is one of the best neutral options in the game because it allows Peacock to get 2-3 projectiles out in a mere instant
-Argus Agony (pew pew super) is a great super to use if you want to build distance after a hit confirm. Parasoul, Cerebella and Double will punish the crap out of it so use it sparingly and avoid using it in the corner. Squigly will beat it outright from close range with Daisy Pusher
-Air grabs can be followed up if you were charging an item drop before hand or if you immediately air dash cancel into j.lk
-You got three meters against a beaten up Double and you get a ground grab? ALWAYS go for level 3 Goodfellas because it does massive damage. Double is a horrible matchup for Peacock in my experience. Don't toss items out recklessly or she'll take you for a ride on her bionic car all day
-j.JP has a great hitbox in the air and it is a great way to punish opponents who jump recklessly or go for constant air grabs. It's also a nice alternative to j.HK if you want to jump away often
-Drill a couple of basic ground, air and corner combos until you have them down almost perfectly. It's not safe to play Peacock without know how to combo. She won't always have meter to play with
-Your opponent blocked a mixup attempt and you are worried about retaliation? End your block strings in lk bomb. It is safe on block iirc. Stuff like this is particularly important because Peacock doesn't want to be hit

This is some common sense stuff that will take you really far. The best Peacock players play her with resets and combos that are way beyond what I could do. At her best she is actually one of the scarier reset characters in the game even without three bars

Kioshen

Actually my health started getting radically worse about 1 1/2 years ago. I'm just going to blame SkullGirls now.

Well that sucks the big one :/. Hope your condition gets better someday soon.

What's going to happen to Skullgirls?

The same thing we do every night, Luffy - try to take over the world! (and try not to get shafted by big corporations tactics)

anyone got any good tips/guides for Peacock

Just wanted to add that you have to repeat the qcf when throwing a second type of George you can just do say if you wanted to throw a boxcar + airplane George then it would be QCF MK,HK you don't have to do QCF MK, QCF HK.

Also here's a flowchart you can build on for combos :

What's going to happen to Skullgirls?

Since the arcade version isn't affected by this, and since Konami was already screwing things up with the delisting anyway, I doubt this will have a huge affect on anything.

I'm assuming Cyber Front isn't the only Japanese pub to handle Western releases and that SG isn't some kind of toxic IP to the Japanese. I think both of those are reasonable assumptions, so things will likely be alright, though Ravid's probably having to scramble more than he wants getting things taken care of.

Since the arcade version isn't affected by this, and since Konami was already screwing things up with the delisting anyway, I doubt this will have a huge affect on anything.

I'm assuming Cyber Front isn't the only Japanese pub to handle Western releases and that SG isn't some kind of toxic IP to the Japanese. I think both of those are reasonable assumptions, so things will likely be alright, though Ravid's probably having to scramble more than he wants getting things taken care of.

I see. I just hope it doesn't affect them from bringing new contents to the game.

Kioshen said:
The same thing we do every night, Luffy - try to take over the world! (and try not to get shafted by big corporations tactics)

The Pinky & The Brain quote, nice one Kioshen.

Ravidrath

I see. I just hope it doesn't affect them from bringing new contents to the game.

In all likelihood, we're just going to have to transition the Japanese release from Cyberfront to another publisher, like we are currently doing with Konami -> Autumn in the US and EU.

The closure was a surprise to my contact there, too, so they're still trying to figure out the logistics of all of this.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well that sucks the big one :/. Hope your condition gets better someday soon.
Depressing info below
Seeing how anything related to making it get better hasn't been found outside of stemcell use and even that doesn't combat it properly *muscle tissue dies back off* I'll most likely be dead by the time anything breakthrough and viable ever gets found. Hooray for muscular dystrophy!

And to be non-depressing. I can't FUCKING WAIT for Eliza, she's the character I wanted the second most out of the vote thingy. Still sad Minitte didn't make it though her move set could have been so fun
as in broken

Oh and thanks for holding that launch tourney Ravi. Finally got around to putting up my poster and giving the little plushie a place on my bed :D I should probably get around to using my credit to get some shirts too xD

Kioshen

Hopefully it won't take too long for it to come back in stores. Been waiting for Squigly and I don't have a PC.

Also, can anyone give me any good YT channels for match videos?

So sorry I completly forgot to reply to you :/. Here's a quick list of my subbox taken in alphabetical order :

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHB1yjhVGZEUnQJn0_AJi5g Alexis Rivera aka Guitalex
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD170TCTOcvIBAMALj60ikQ Ardlien - tech videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZawo_y5IkF39BEd4EBE9Kw Dekillsage - tech and match videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqjLPY-26CJ4TEKVKo6NrNQ not much sg content but it's there
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsASCR5P_LI6Er4-bpiShNg IsaVulpes - tech videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Iuw95k__5DvIRxqWcB_hw keninblack - match and tech videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzozjuvTs8xyzVZmG5lNcnQ KhaosMuffins - tech and match videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5Dm5VolM9Gp2gXlfuzPjg MikeZ aka Wippler - tech and match videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCApJgsoFadTZjesGtS-fgVA MrPeck - tech videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpEDhKUaukaN8QU9oVnYldg OmniSScythe - tech videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-O0ItD5TFOhFZpZrWwQhQA McPeanuts - match and tech videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCglDB87yRIO7druwPcyyqSQ high level jp matches
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rwMkkTS-jIc_QErmT-L_g BrokenLoose - tech videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi_zsbJaiZN90OPcD_XIRNA severin - tech videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-r3m3xu-dvBBjBppp1qfQ Uzumakihero - tech videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYCfQw04QfmpGQkOhORXQew worldjem - skullcast and match videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqQTvOD7-31JoExfgSSiBFA duckator - match videos

I'm sure I'm missing some channels that I would very much like to be aware of. Edit: Forgot that Duckator had a channel shame on me.

The Pinky & The Brain quote, nice one Kioshen.

That quote never gets old for me :3.

Depressing info below
Seeing how anything related to making it get better hasn't been found outside of stemcell use and even that doesn't combat it properly *muscle tissue dies back off* I'll most likely be dead by the time anything breakthrough and viable ever gets found. Hooray for muscular dystrophy!

Oh man the feels Q :(. Hope that at least your quality of life gets better if that means anything.

And to be non-depressing. I can't FUCKING WAIT for Eliza, she's the character I wanted the second most out of the vote thingy. Still sad Minitte didn't make it though her move set could have been so fun
as in broken

Oh and thanks for holding that launch tourney Ravi. Finally got around to putting up my poster and giving the little plushie a place on my bed :D I should probably get around to using my credit to get some shirts too xD

Oddly enough, Squigs and Big Band didn't do it for me so I have high hopes for Eliza too. Sorry man but I couldn't care less about Minette as a character. Sad about the mechanic but the character ug
uuuuu
h.I bought my George plushie at Pax East last year and it's one of my favs for sure. He protects my tissue box from would be thieving co-workers haha.

Eliza looks cool, and I like using her blood to do stuff, but she sounds like a stance character, and I do hate those. Hopefully the stance is...somehow not like a stance.

onionfrog

I'm looking forward to jumping back into the game once Encore releases.
I haven't played in a long time since the latest PS3 version is so out of date,

Top Bottom