• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders official website updates to include Crash Edition tab

boyshine

I don't get why Crash should be any more console exclusive than Spyro was. Activision property. A lot of games on other systems since PS1 gen.. so why?

shield

This is giving me such overwhelming and conflicting feelings that i'm just going to shut down my laptop and go to sleep

Honest question: for anyone saying that there's got to be more to this and that there's a full-on Crash game being made alongside this, who has the time to make it? It won't be Naughty Dog or any other Sony first party studio and it won't be Toys for Bob or Vicarious Visions on the Activision side of things. What exactly is the road map that gets a big new game for Crash within the next two or three years?

One example I think would be that Sanzaru could be possible if they're not working on Sly 5 (even though they've tried to say they aren't working on Sly 5, not that you can ever take that at face value).

Small team within Naughty Dog made of some people that want to do it would be the dream, but probably extremely unlikely.

It must be. Why would he be coming to Skylanders if NO KID WHO PLAYS THE GAME WILL HAVE ANY IDEA WHO THE F*@K CRASH IS....

Think about it. It's all good guys.

It's not for the kids, it's for the parents. Plenty of the kids who grew up with Crash on the PS1 now have kids of their own, and seeing Crash on the box could spark a desire to share the experience. It's a nostalgia play.

Shauni

The dude who works at skykanders has ties with Adam?

Not surprised by this but if it's really the big news,cancel the E3 annoucement...

If it's really the only crash gave, and they announce this... I hope someone does the extreme ns4w version of the Seinfeld get up gif

What the hell is this?

Takao

Banned
It must be. Why would he be coming to Skylanders if NO KID WHO PLAYS THE GAME WILL HAVE ANY IDEA WHO THE F*@K CRASH IS....

Think about it. It's all good guys.

I'm not saying there's not a more substantial Crash announcement coming, but your same question can be applied to Spyro. He was used to launch the Skylanders franchise despite the fact that the game really has nothing to do with Spyro. The answer is cheap brand recognition. IIRC the Skylanders games sell worst on Sony's platforms, so this could be a way to bring more attention to them.

I don't get why Crash should be any more console exclusive than Spyro was. Activision property. A lot of games on other systems since PS1 gen.. so why?
If it's exclusive it would mean Sony paid for it. Either the IP or the character as an exclusive skylander (maybe both)

Hopefully this is somehow in addition to them making a Crash game on PS4 I feel like the pricing and scope of Ratchet & Clank is a perfect example of what a new Crash on PS4 should be.

Mr-Joker

Banned
While I doubt that Crash being in skylanders rules out a new Crash game, it would be so funny it did just for the reaction alone.

KingBroly

Banned
If it's exclusive it would mean Sony paid for it. Either the IP or the character (maybe both)

Don't see why Activision would sell it unless they had no other option. Or Sony overpaid them like crazy.

But if Activision had sold Crash to Sony, we'd have had to hear about it already.

Foffy

Banned
Absolutely what I was expecting.

People goddamned fooled themselves if they thought their floor of getting something from Crash was higher. You're lucky if that's so.

Honest question: for anyone saying that there's got to be more to this and that there's a full-on Crash game being made alongside this, who has the time to make it? It won't be Naughty Dog or any other Sony first party studio and it won't be Toys for Bob or Vicarious Visions on the Activision side of things. What exactly is the road map that gets a big new game for Crash within the next two or three years?

Big Red Button seem like a good fit. A studio that features ex-Naughty Dog staff and just recently worked on reviving a big name platforming franchise.

Ridley327

I'm not saying there's not a more substantial Crash announcement coming, but your same question can be applied to Spyro. He was used to launch the Skylanders franchise despite the fact that the game really has nothing to do with Spyro. The answer is cheap brand recognition. IIRC the Skylanders games sell worst on Sony's platforms, so this could be a way to bring more attention to them.

Yeah, Playstation has brought up the rear on every release of the game up until now. With Wii being dropped this year, the share for the games is more up for grabs than it's ever been, so it's smart of Sony to try and grab it with a move that's designed to bring in new players of an older age bracket.

Don't see why Activision would sell it unless they had no other option. Or Sony overpaid them like crazy.

But if Activision had sold Crash to Sony, we'd have had to hear about it already.
If Acti wanted Crash in the game he would've already been there, I'd think.
I imagine Sony has quite a bit to offer Activision if they really wanted Crash for the good publicity it would bring by pleasing the fans.

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah, Playstation has brought up the rear on every release of the game up until now. With Wii being dropped this year, the share for the games is more up for grabs than it's ever been, so it's smart of Sony to try and grab it with a move that's designed to bring in new players of an older age bracket.

It didn't help with Disney Infinity. PS3/4 versions always sold the worst. Crash isn't bringing in an audience that Hulk and Boba Fett didn't.

daripad

H2sv8lh.gif

OMG I'm dying

So, Crash is back lol

Even if they were able to, LOL no we wouldn't have. Unless it were leaked, they'd save that for a big announcement if it were to happen, especially with how much cross-advertising the two companies are doing these days.

Ridley327

It didn't help with Disney Infinity. PS3/4 versions always sold the worst. Crash isn't bringing in an audience that Hulk and Boba Fett didn't.

Honestly, I think Sony might be applying some level of Amiibo logic with this move, in that you would get a lot more people interested with a character that hasn't had a lot of representation as a game or accompanying merchandise, which is definitely not the case for those two.

Granted, I'm not even sure that even Nintendo knows why Amiibo worked, but they're not complaining and fans aren't, either.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wouldn't someone like Ratchet & Clank, Sackboy etc. Characters they own be a better choice, plus that todays kids might recognize.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of parents play these games with their kids, so this helps appeal to those with a PS4 and younger children.

You will notice that LEGO Dimensions Season 2 is releasing a ton of 80s properties along with their kids properties, presumably to target the same parent-child demographic.

RK128

People are acting like the Skylanders games are horrible titles or something.....Crash would fit well in the series and a moveset pulled from many Crash games could be fun :D.

But Crash isn't just going to appear in Skylanders and this likely implies that he will have something exclusive to PlayStation 4. Sure, his figure could work on all versions of the game not unlike Dark Spyro's exclusivity with the 3DS version of the original Skylanders but even then, it could just be a deal Sony made with Activision when they came to an agreement on the IP.

If the rumors are true, then we are getting a new game and a playable appearance in a PS All Stars Sequel.

Will stop posting in this thread after this post, as I feel many on NeoGaf strongly dislike the Crash series. Either way, hope this leads to some great games for Crash and eagerly await Sony's conference on Monday when everything is answered.

Shauni

For everyone that's super convinced that this doesn't rule out another Crash project, I have to ask, how does this actually help the idea of another Crash project? I really don't get the logic how this Crash inclusion in Skylanders really helps the idea that more Crash is out there.

Top Bottom