• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders official website updates to include Crash Edition tab

Crash's appearance in Skylanders will clearly just boost his profile for a new solo game. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to go play all of the amazing core Spyro games that were spawned by the success of his appearance in said series.

Honestly though, I don't see this as much more than Activision cashing in on the nostalgia for an old brand. It'll get a few more parents to buy the new sets, and Crash (alongside his pals) will sink into a bloated roster of generic enemies.

Skylanders is the Spyro franchise. He is not a guest character the way Crash will be. That's the difference -- another difference being you can only play the Crash figure on PS4.

cordy

Banned
AkOmpdK.jpg

Not even that mad because I didn't believe any of that shit. If it's this then shit it's in just a bad state as it was before in my eyes. Not sweating it.

ZeroX03

Banned
I can't say I understand why people are upset about this. I love Crash and Spyro. Could care less that they're in Skylanders. Activision hasn't been able to make a good solo game with them in a decade and a half, their inclusion doesn't change that or suddenly stop development of a game.

maybe this is a huge troll x surprise by Sony?
my guess is that the asking price was to high for Sony to bite

Activision is a business first so they wanna get paid

This whole exclusivity mess must mean something, must be a very complicated deal.

I have a feeling he's only exclusive as a PS4-first thing, where you can only buy him in the PS4 version's pack, but can use him anywhere else, and maybe will see a standalone release. Like DK and Bowser, but those two could only be used on Nintendo systems (obviously).

No mention of Crash anywhere tho

Not in the description, but you see the tab is highlighted and I keep getting an error saying "Sorry, there are no retailers in your area for this selection." for other systems, though this is true for other countries for the PS4 version as well so, who knows. Maybe he isn't exclusive?

Crash isn't going to help Skylanders. Skylanders sells on its' own merits and would sell without him just fine. Sony needs/wants Crash, but they do not own it. So again, they have no leverage in the matter. It's not their property. It's Activision's. If Sony wants to pay them an asston of money for it, I'm sure Activision be happy with a royalty check, but again, Sony is in no position to be making demands for a dead IP that they do not own when they cannot give Activision anything of value in return.

Sony gives money to Act to make a Crash game on the PS4.
Act makes a Crash Skylander.
The Skylander would have probably sold great, but now sells better with Sony's additional marketing push/stage time at E3.

The results are:

If Sony doesn't give them money, they release a Crash Skylander and make money.
If Sony does give them money to use the IP, they release Crash Skylander, get a bonus push in marketing on the leading platform, and have a fat check from Sony.

Act doesn't lose anything from this transaction.The value is selling an IP that a large company wants while still keeping the property around for future use.

You even mention this in your own post so I can't see how you are getting tripped up here.

KingBroly

Banned
I have a feeling he's only exclusive as a PS4-first thing, where you can only buy him in the PS4 version's pack, but can use him anywhere else, and maybe will see a standalone release. Like DK and Bowser, but those two could only be used on Nintendo systems (obviously).

Not in the description, but you see the tab is highlighted and I keep getting an error saying "Sorry, there are no retailers in your area for this selection." for other systems, though this is true for other countries for the PS4 version as well so, who knows. Maybe he isn't exclusive?

When Skylanders first came out, Dark Spyro was 3DS exclusive, but could be used anywhere.

Next year Banjo-Kazooie will be in Skylanders...and honestly, that'd be an upgrade over N&B.

ZarKryn7

So this fucking PlayStation Fuite's prophecy is coming true. Neo won't be at E3 confirmed, and Crash e3 PT. 1 pretty much confirmed.

KingBroly

Banned
Sony gives money to Act to make a Crash game on the PS4.
Act makes a Crash Skylander.
The Skylander would have probably sold great, but now sells better with Sony's additional marketing push/stage time at E3.

The results are:

If Sony doesn't give them money, they release a Crash Skylander and make money.
If Sony does give them money to use the IP, they release Crash Skylander, get a bonus push in marketing on the leading platform, and have a fat check from Sony.

Act doesn't lose anything from this transaction.The value is selling an IP that a large company wants while still keeping the property around for future use.

You even mention this in your own post so I can't see how you are getting tripped up here.

Sony's not in the driver's seat here, Activision is. That's the point. They aren't in a position to make demands of what Activision does and doesn't do with Crash. Crash isn't going to be a miracle worker than some here think it's destined to be, and there's no amount of Sony chest pounding that will make it so.

Teepo671

Interesting! I wonder if there's going to be a Dark Edition for the Crash Edition. They seem to have separate tabs there but Bowser and DK had dark versions for the Wii U version of Superchargers.

Spinky

Not even mad, I doubt this is the only thing we'll be hearing about Crash this year.

But if it is then Activision can jump off a cliff.

Sony's not in the driver's seat here, Activision is. That's the point. They aren't in a position to make demands of what Activision does and doesn't do with Crash. Crash isn't going to be a miracle worker than some here think it's destined to be, and there's no amount of Sony chest pounding that will make it so.

I don't think you are reading my posts.

I never said Sony will dictate what happens with the IP. In fact, Act keeping the IP would mean they still have the reigns, just letting Sony make a game out of Crash because Sony probably gave the money to do so.

Sony is offering them money so they can make a game. Sony is not in the driver's seat. They are a passenger along for one stop at a fixed rate. That's it. Act is literally losing nothing by letting them make a game in return for some fat cash.

So, for the third time, Sony isn't demanded that they get Crash. Sony is making a business transaction to create a Crash game while Act continues on with the IP. Act loses nothing from this, and only stands to gain, at the very least, a large sum from Sony to use an IP they haven't touched in years.

This is not hard.

Honestly, I saw this coming the moment that the Crash rumors started making the rounds on the net. Activision has been pretty reluctant to do anything with the Crash Bandicoot series for almost 6 years now, and I have a feeling that they might have teamed up with Sony to reboot the character. I could easily still see a new Crash game from Sony with a tie in for Skylanders from Activision.

Zyrox

Damn you're not only getting Crash in Skylanders, but you're also getting the crash of your hypetrains. 2 for the price of one. What a deal.
Ayy lmao

Switched to UK, and it showed up for me... I really wished Sony bought the IP. Well that's one of my dreams this year for E3 gone

Anthony A

Neo Member
"Crash fans"?
"Spyro fans"?

Spyro is more relevant now to a much larger audience than the character has ever been.
Also, those old games aren't very good...

ZarKryn7

If Activision really thinks weve been waiting 10+yrs just for a Crash figure, they need to grind their crotches on a sharp rail just like THPS5 did.

Also, I can't be the only one noticing PS Fuite's 2 statements came true right?

Top Bottom