• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders SuperChargers |OT|

How are you all liking this? Im thinking about getting this for the XBOX ONE since I already got Disney Infinity 3.0 for the PS4..or maybe will get this for the Wii U, its between the Wii U and XBOX ONE not sure what one has over the other
Like Drax said the Wii U version gives you an exclusive DK figure and buy the 3ds version to get the bowser figure.

U2NUMB

Was at the Mall of America tonight at the Best Buy and almost picked it up for the X1.. they had a TON of the exclusive best buy character so I do not think those are rare.

Gonna go through some games.. trade some in towards it this week maybe...

fernoca

Finally started the Wii U version.

-One of the first messages in the game is to enable voice chat in online multi, so there's that.

-Visually looks quite impressive. Also seems to be ..not sub-HD unlike Swap Force and Trap Team (which looked a bit blurry on Wii U).

-Voiceacting and soundtrack are still superb.

And two pics I took when I started, trying out Bowser and DK.

KUrhWci.jpg

eyTQhjQ.jpg

Finally started the Wii U version.

-One of the first messages in the game is to enable voice chat in online multi, so there's that.

-Visually looks quite impressive. Also seems to be ..not sub-HD unlike Swap Force and Trap Team (which looked a bit blurry on Wii U).

-Voiceacting is still superb.

And two pics I took when I started, trying out Bowser and DK.

KUrhWci.jpg

eyTQhjQ.jpg

Trap Team is horrifically low-res on Wii U, almost as if it's the same as the Wii version.

I'd love the guy who works at Digital Foundry to measure the resolutions of all the games.

So, sorry if this is a silly question, but I grabbed the game earlier and I opened it up and noticed my Hot Streak is gold? Is this like, a special one or what? Honestly didn't look too much at the game itself, I was more concerned with what other dudes I wanted to pick up.(I bought Terrafin cause he's the best)

Kemal86

This is a really dumb thing to be upset about, but it sucks that the starter pack didn't come with stickers. Sticker poster yes, stickers no. I got the Dark Edition, and there's even spots on the poster for the Dark Edition figures...but no dark stickers. Stupid, especially since it seems like the individual character and the level packs came with stickers.

fernoca

Guess in this game I drive better with the stick. There are 2 controller options: one to move the vehicle with the stick and accelarate with the right trigger, the other one lets you accelarate with the same analog stick you move.

So, how do Donkey Kong & Bowser handle in the game? Are they fun to play as?
So far, quite fun. Love how Diddy Kong is always riding co-pilot with DK.

Also, guess I was wrong but it seems there is online co-op for the adventure?!

One of the option is to allow friends on your list to join your adventure. Seems that it is limited to people on your friends list only. The Racing Mode seems to be the one that allows online multi with randoms.

Trap Team is horrifically low-res on Wii U, almost as if it's the same as the Wii version.

I'd love the guy who works at Digital Foundry to measure the resolutions of all the games.

Oh good so it wasn't just me. That stupid damn gamepad screen bothered the heck out of me. It would have been perfect to show off the skylander or villain (or here's a crazy though; your stats/objectives like Swap Force Wii U did) but it looked like whatever was down there was generated with a GBA engine...it just just awful.

So, sorry if this is a silly question, but I grabbed the game earlier and I opened it up and noticed my Hot Streak is gold? Is this like, a special one or what? Honestly didn't look too much at the game itself, I was more concerned with what other dudes I wanted to pick up.(I bought Terrafin cause he's the best)
Oh my, congrats! You got a special Golden Hot Streak. It's supposedly a chase variant people were finding today, no one had any idea about it. It would appear to only be in Non-Nintendo starter packs, maybe as a little surprise bonus. It registers exactly the same as the E3 Golden Hot Streak, which has a "Special Event" modifier tag on it.

12003313_10153620066474814_7529274265947976273_n.jpg

fernoca

Hmm...so after trying things around:

Regarding the earlier info about needing a Land Vehicle to start on Wii/3DS
While that turned out to be false, you do need a Land Vehicle on the other versions. Since it's included in those is no biggie. But...

Digital/Portal Owners Pack do need a Land Vehicle* [SEE EDIT]
Granted I haven't tried starting a new game with an older base. But starting a new game with the new base asks you to place a Land Vehicle and a Skylander to start. The included (in the download) Instant Spitfire and Instant Hot Streak seem to only appear in the Racing Mode. But you need to beat the first chapters to unlock it and for that you need the figures?

Will plug an old portal and update this post with info.

*EDIT:
Yep. Seems that only if you plug an older portal you get access to the digital/instant stuff. At the portal screen you just press A and choose the land vehicle then A again for the Skylander.

So you can finish the digital version without any other figures, but you still need an older portal plugged.

fernoca

teDL5JJ.jpg

So great!
Like the previous ones, each area has a different look/theme.

EDIT:
This ended being a double post of sorts. Whatever. :p

RobbieNick

I decided to get the Wii dark edition today and the WiiU version come payday. I've played about 2 hours worth of the Wii version and since there's very little word of mouth on that version, I'd thought I'd give my impressions on it.

THE GOOD:

Do you just want a kart racing game? Here you go. No real story outside of some cutscenes with the Master of Ceremony guy. Just pure racing. Errr..well, and other challenges.

The Chaos trophy lets you race as him right from the start! Sadly, it doesn't seem to unlock anything else unless I'm missing something.

Track design is pretty good. The racers can get pretty fierce in hard mode and the courses themselves are colorful with plenty of shortcuts to be found. It's no Mario Kart, but it's a fun racer.

The game takes it's cue from Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed as there are several "World Tour" cups to take. Each with many tracks and branching paths depending on how many stars you get or if you have a special toy to unlock another path. Just like SASAST, you get more stars depending on the difficulty you chose and more stars means more courses unlocked.

Missing a vehicle? The game will give you a beat-up loaner to race through the course. As long as your skills hold up, you can still win. It's one way to get around buying another vehicle.

THE BAD:

Get your steering wheel out. The game only uses either single Wiimote or Wiimote and Nunchuck. No classic controller support at all. Also, check the options first if you like your flight controls inverted.

The graphics, while colorful are first-gen PS2-era awful. Cutscenes look like they came from the first Ratchet and Clank game. It might look fine on a 3DS screen, but spread out on a 40 inch, looks terrible.

There some simple racing cups for just the vehicles alone with no extra challenges. Basically a GP mode. However, it's here you realize there are only 5 actual race courses per vehicle bringing the grand total of actual race tracks to a measly 15. The "world tour" cups are just those tracks over and over with different challenges added like "Defeat this many enemies in a limited time" or "Drift challenge" (again, very similar to SASASRT).

Speaking of which, while there are 8 "World Tour" cups altogether (albeit with many courses inside), 3 of them are hidden behind trophies you have to buy to unlock. So basically, over a third of the game is locked unless you buy all the trophies. Bullshit.

Not only that, the challenges inside are sometimes locked unless you have a vehicle of a certain element. I just checked. You have to buy about half the vehicles available in the coming 2015/2016 year for the game. That's 9 vehicles. 8 if you take out Bowser's plane and Spitfire's car in the Dark Edition.

In the end, even with all challenges unlocked, it would probably still be a shorter Kart racing game than All-Stars Racing transformed which is sad if 3DS or Wii is some kids only option. It becomes the most expensive kart racer ever.

3DS saves all the figures into the game to save you from having to constantly swap out (mainly due to it being portable). Wii doesn't have that option so you still have to swap out toys. That's a rather minor nitpick.

VERDICT:

If it wasn't for the Chaos Trophy and cool, silver and black Bowser armor, I'd go for the 3DS version instead. It's a decent kart game for on the road. But when you have this at home and have Mario Kart handy nearby, it just doesn't hold up.

Ecto311

Finally I see the digital version on the xbox store. Is there any benefit from getting the physical over this? I am about to hit buy but want to make sure so I don't have to double dip on this silly shit. I already have a trap portal for the trap masters game. Might do that so I can see what the lego dimensions game is all about soon.

Pretty negative first impressions from me. Not sure if my portal is busted, or my USB slots are damaged on my Wii U but the scanning feature didn't work out very well. I managed to move them about on the portal but it's really finicky and it said it was corrupting the figures at one point.
The game itself seems pretty basic though I just started. DK is fine but the combat nor the platforming are very good. The air vehicles don't control very well, the cars are a bit weird too. Saw gated off content despite buying two different starter packs and that was fairly upsetting. Really early on too. Need a boat, I guess?
The Nintendo figures, the reason I bought into the game, are a mixed bag as well. Bowser is super mediocre. When people say "amiibo are happy meal quality" this is what I think off. DK works better for what he is. I'd probably advise against buying both starter packs and maybe just get DK and maybe wait for an individual release of Bowser. He already has two much nicer amiibo

fernoca

THE BAD:

Get your steering wheel out. The game only uses either single Wiimote or Wiimote and Nunchuck. No classic controller support at all. Also, check the options first if you like your flight controls inverted.

That's..weird. Even though is not pictured, I've been using my Classic Controller. Is one of the original ones, not a Pro though.

Finally I see the digital version on the xbox store. Is there any benefit from getting the physical over this? I am about to hit buy but want to make sure so I don't have to double dip on this silly shit. I already have a trap portal for the trap masters game. Might do that so I can see what the lego dimensions game is all about soon.

If anything, the only advantage is that you save a bit over $25. But for those extra $25 you get 2 figures and a vehicle (which are around $40), along the new portal....and a poster! :p

Pretty negative first impressions from me. Not sure if my portal is busted, or my USB slots are damaged on my Wii U but the scanning feature didn't work out very well. I managed to move them about on the portal but it's really finicky and it said it was corrupting the figures at one point.
The game itself seems pretty basic though I just started. DK is fine but the combat nor the platforming are very good. The air vehicles don't control very well, the cars are a bit weird too. Saw gated off content despite buying two different starter packs and that was fairly upsetting. Really early on too. Need a boat, I guess?
The Nintendo figures, the reason I bought into the game, are a mixed bag as well. Bowser is super mediocre. When people say "amiibo are happy meal quality" this is what I think off. DK works better for what he is. I'd probably advise against buying both starter packs and maybe just get DK and maybe wait for an individual release of Bowser. He already has two much nicer amiibo
Really weird. Remember that you just put the figure and leave them on the portal. Otherwise it could be either the base or the USB slot. Try the ones in the front if the problems are in the back.

The game is more like Diablo than a platformer, the focus is on beating evemies to get experience and getting loot for upgrades and purchases.

Invert the flying controls if you have problems, change to full analog the driving controls to see if it's easier (driving in the adventure is different than the racing which controls in a more traditional way).

At the moment, it is my favorite entry. Figures seem to be a mixed bag, but like with more detailed amiibo is part of the result of all the little details. So not all of them are great. I'm satisfied with mine at least.

Donkey Kong looks like a blast to play.
I like how his dialogue is GROWL BARK, ha ha.
Now to decide if I want the regular or dark version. Hmmm....

Also the fact that this game focuses on Kart racing means I can enjoy that at least it isn't another beat em' up. It might just be me, but it also looks less bland than the older games. I always gathered Skylanders was a series made for the Wii.

fernoca

Donkey Kong looks like a blast to play.
I like how his dialogue is GROWL BARK, ha ha.
Now to decide if I want the regular or dark version. Hmmm....

Also the fact that this game focuses on Kart racing means I can enjoy that at least it isn't another beat em' up. It might just be me, but it also looks less bland than the older games. I always gathered Skylanders was a series made for the Wii.
Well, the turning point was Swap-Force. That was the first one not made as a Wii game and it benefited from that. The artsyle, visuals, the new animations.

This one was made by the team that did Swap-Force.

chrislowe

I will skip the WiiU edition and get the PS4 even if I wanted the amiibos.
From experience I know the wiiU edition will be like $20 soon anyway.

Well, the turning point was Swap-Force. That was the first one not made as a Wii game and it benefited from that. The artsyle, visuals, the new animations.

This one was made by the team that did Swap-Force.

I have Swap Force, I should play it. Last one I played was Giants. Trap Team didn't really interest me.

Spades

I can't believe that the only way to get both Bowser and DK is to buy the game and portal for a system I don't own. That's bullshit.

I want to get this, but I feel like it won't be what I expect. Is there any straight kart racing?
Challenges I think are straight up kart racing.
Main game is a mix of beat 'em up and kart racing.

Here is the first 4 chapters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP2FzJlpBx0

I can't believe that the only way to get both Bowser and DK is to buy the game and portal for a system I don't own. That's bullshit.
Yeah, considering I hear Bowser look cheaply made, I will skip the Wii version. Will pick it up on Wii U eventually. Might wait until Black Friday because it always sells on Black Friday.

killroy87

Yeah, considering I hear Bowser look cheaply made, I will skip the Wii version. Will pick it up on Wii U eventually. Might wait until Black Friday because it always sells on Black Friday.

I looked at both yesterday at Best Buy, and neither of them are even close to amiibo-quality.

It's ironic that two of the worst (and debatably ugliest) amiibo are also the two with the most interesting and fun gameplay functionality.

Just wanted to post on this topic, but the Nintendo versions don't include any beat em' up sections. WHY?
Is it cheaper to buy the PS4 version digitally?

Edit: Wait, it might just be the Wii/3DS version. Does the Wii U version have beat em' up sections?

killroy87

Just wanted to post on this topic, but the Nintendo versions don't include any beat em' up sections. WHY?
Is it cheaper to buy the PS4 version digitally?

Edit: Wait, it might just be the Wii/3DS version. Does the Wii U version have beat em' up sections?

The Wii U version is the same as PS4/Xbone.

fernoca

Yep, the only different versions are Wii and 3DS which are strictly racers. 3DS has online multi, both have local multi.

Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, PS3 and 360 versions are the same. Adventure/loot now with racing, online coop and online races (local coop and multi too). PS4 and One are 1080p, the others not.

My copy just arrived, but I've been up since close to midnight and gamed most of that time so I won't be starting it until tomorrow morning. Apparently some of the toys they sent out were delayed and won't arrive until tomorrow, so maybe that's a good thing.

Looking forward to playing it, though.

Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, PS3 and 360 versions are the same. Adventure/loot now with racing, online coop and online races (local coop and multi too). PS4 and One are 1080p, the others not.

Ah really? I figured Wii U could easily pull 1080p. That sucks.
I will probably stick with Teal's plan and do 3DS/PS4 purchases.
Edit: PS4 digital version is $50 dollars, screw that noise ha ha.

fernoca

8bmzat8.jpg

Wasn't aware of shirtless DK! :p
You hold the attack button and he turns into Super DK (shirtless).

One of his attacks is called Old School on which ladders and girders fall from the sky.

Another one is Bongo Barrell, inspired by Donkey Konga.

His final upgrade/attacks allows to summon Diddy to help you fight.

Lan_97

Picked up the WiiU/3DS starters, sea racing pack, and Fiesta+car. Pretty disappointed so far with the figure quality. Given the jump in price, I was hoping the quality would start becoming comparable to Disney Infinity. It was ok when these used to cost $7 retail, but given the competition, I expect a bit more for $13/$15.

Spent a good chunk of time with the Wii version today. Ive primarily played Skylanders on Xbox platforms so I'm not sure how they normally look but this looks significantly worse than Spyro's Adventure on the 360. The base game is pretty fun but air races feel slow and their tracks are easily the worst, with one in particular feeling kind of like a mess. The kart racing and sea levels I've played so far range from solid but uninspired to good but nothing great so far.

I recorded footage of it and plan to throw it on youtube some time tomorrow since it seems like no ones really bothering with it.

fernoca

Picked up the WiiU/3DS starters, sea racing pack, and Fiesta+car. Pretty disappointed so far with the figure quality. Given the jump in price, I was hoping the quality would start becoming comparable to Disney Infinity. It was ok when these used to cost $7 retail, but given the competition, I expect a bit more for $13/$15.
Don't remember the original ones costing $7 at launch, but price of figurines always varied. From $10 to $15 depending on use, extras and size (or $20 for the Elites). The vehicles in here are actual toys too with moving parts.

Quality is spotchy in a few cases, but is more because of the style and details. Infinity did it rught from the beginning with the more clean approach, so figurines look better and cleaner. Same way some prefer the simpler amiibo like Kirby or Pikachu, while ones like Marth or Link have problems with faces and smudges in the clothes.

Spent a good chunk of time with the Wii version today. Ive primarily played Skylanders on Xbox platforms so I'm not sure how they normally look but this looks significantly worse than Spyro's Adventure on the 360. The base game is pretty fun but air races feel slow and their tracks are easily the worst, with one in particular feeling kind of like a mess. The kart racing and sea levels I've played so far range from solid but uninspired to good but nothing great so far.

I recorded footage of it and plan to throw it on youtube some time tomorrow since it seems like no ones really bothering with it.
Looks on par with the Skylanders games on Wii.

The first two 360 games were ports of the Wii version, but a higher resolution and some better textures.

The other versions look and are better, more complete.

Kinsei

Banned

That's a shame to hear. I actually really like the plane races in the Wii U version so I was hoping the Wii ones would be on par with them.

Lan_97

Don't remember the original ones costing $7 at launch, but price of figurines always varied. From $10 to $15 depending on use, extras and size (or $20 for the Elites). The vehicles in here are actual toys too with moving parts.

My mistake, SA cores were $7.99. Though retail stores like TRU and Walmart often sold them at $10. MSRP jumped to 10/12/15 starting with Giants.

From what I've heard of the main version, The Wii version has a lot more toy requirements to see everything. Elemental gates and magic items are needed to unlock certain paths in the adventure mode and 3 of the 8 cups are locked behind trophies.

To make matters worse if you click on one of the cups that requires a trophy, the game won't let you go back. You're stuck looking at a screen asking for a toy until you reset. I think the same goes for magic items.

The game will lend you a sea or land vehicle if you don't put one down but not air. The Wii game comes with one but I've seen many used Skylander bundles sold with a random assortment of characters so it will likely effect some yard sale purchasers in the future.

RobbieNick

Picked up the WiiU version today using my Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked discount so it only cost $59.99. Also picked up a sub since I needed at least one. (The dark matter one.)

While it sucks that it plays in 720P, the graphics are still way better than even Trap Team or Swap Force. Mainly due to the lighting effects. Getting to use DK and Bowser makes it worth playing at a lesser resolution than PS4. Non-racing vehicle controls can take some getting used to.

Took some screens of Bowser
CPeyC5RUcAEmK7t

CPe5ZkQUYAAmvS2

CPey4RkUEAEY4pF

The Nintendo characters are pretty well done. The game is a bit simple, though. Even on hard it doesn't feel very challenging or deep without some dodge move. You can hammer away at an enemy but they'll still attack you and dodging requires you to slowly walk away since there's not even a run button

Lan_97

Some impressions after some play time with the WiiU and 3DS games

WiiU
- WiiU Dark Edition + 3DS starter is the only combination of console/handheld bundles that doesn't give multiples of Stealth Elf
- The low resolution is immediately noticeable. I've only briefly played SF on WiiU, but it feels similarly blurry. I will definitely be on the lookout for a loose PS4 copy for a second playthrough.
- No subtitles
- No sound through gamepad unless you swap to off-tv play, which leaves the tv blank
+ Skippable cutscenes and dialog
+ In general, I like the vehicles. It adds a nice variety to the game and more things to customize and upgrade
+ I found the alternate control scheme much more comfortable for ground/sea combat (push in the direction you want to go)

3DS
- Similarly has that rushed feel of previous 3DS entries
- Magic items only unlock stars and dont even have images/models attached to them (the game just shows the name)
- It doesn't seem like there is an easy way to view all of the available tracks
+ The racing is pretty fun, though the controls and mechanics are slightly different than the conole games, which feels a bit odd switching back and forth.

Figures
- Sloppy paint jobs, metallic paint, cheaper looking plastic really gives off the cheap toy vibe this iteration
- Clown cruiser has no movable parts, and kind of just rocks back and forth on it's thrusters
- A couple of derp eye figures in my set, and Bowser doesn't really sit flat on his base
- $13/$15 doesn't really feel justified this time around, especially when compared to the competition which is now in the same price bracket
+ The ground vehicles have a nice weight and momentum to them

A lot of negative points, but because after four(eight) games this is what sticks out to me. The game itself is still on track to be my favorite in the series.

Top Bottom