• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders SuperChargers |OT|

Kitoro

My PS4 Dark Edition just arrived today, and I have a couple questions before I get started on my first Skylanders experience.

Unlike Disney Infinity retailer exclusive figures, are the retailer exclusive Superchargers figured and vehicles permanently exclusive? Another forum says the GameStop exclusive figure is a temporary exclusive, but claims the other retailers have permanent exclusives.

Also, will my Dark Super Shot Stealth Elf pair with her normal Target exclusive copter variant in the same way, or do I need to wait for a dark copter, assuming there will ever be one available?

Thanks!

Kemal86

My PS4 Dark Edition just arrived today, and I have a couple questions before I get started on my first Skylanders experience.

Unlike Disney Infinity retailer exclusive figures, are the retailer exclusive Superchargers figured and vehicles permanently exclusive? Another forum says the GameStop exclusive figure is a temporary exclusive, but claims the other retailers have permanent exclusives.

Also, will my Dark Super Shot Stealth Elf pair with her normal Target exclusive copter variant in the same way, or do I need to wait for a dark copter, assuming there will ever be one available?

Thanks!

Some of the retailer exclusive variants have shown up elsewhere in the past, but most don't. Off the top of my head, Granite Crusher and Jade Flashwing never left Target. (In the US)

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Some impressions after some play time with the WiiU and 3DS games

Are there seriously no subtitles on the Wii U version? That sounds ridiculous. Are you sure they aren't in a separate menu?

Lan_97

No subtitles for cinematics or banter. There are dialog boxes for when you stop to talk to characters or the game stops for them to talk to you. I assume this is true for all console versions of the game.

RobbieNick

Thanks!

They're permanent exclusives. But really, they're just repaints. Not a big deal.

I take back my complaint on Wii-Mote Nunchuck only as I finally got my classic controller to work with it. Makes a world of difference.

Wii version has really cool opening animations for when you first put your racer in the game.

When you set the difficulty to hard, it becomes a much better kart racing game.

Thanks!

Frightful Fiesta (Gamestop's "Exclusive") is noted as being "First at Gamestop" indicating to us that he'll eventually be available everywhere...probably for Halloween. Steel Plated Smash Hit is exclusive to Best Buy and the Nitro Stealth Stinger is exclusive to Target. The Nitro Series is actually always exclusive to Target, and there will likely be more. TRU also has the exclusive Legendary Series which includes Jet Vac and a Racing Pack this time around (Racing pack is coming later).

Dark Stealth should pair with the copter. Essentially think of "Dark", "Nitro", etc as modifiers and the actual figure/character is the main thing. A lot of people tend to break the special ones into groups, "Chase" for figures you'd chase after (ie, in the past there have been glow in the dark or solid painted or clear figures) and "Alt-Deco" figures (Stuff like the Dark, the Nitro, Frightful Fiesta, etc)

Some impressions after some play time with the WiiU and 3DS games

WiiU
- WiiU Dark Edition + 3DS starter is the only combination of console/handheld bundles that doesn't give multiples of Stealth Elf
- The low resolution is immediately noticeable. I've only briefly played SF on WiiU, but it feels similarly blurry. I will definitely be on the lookout for a loose PS4 copy for a second playthrough.
- No subtitles
- No sound through gamepad unless you swap to off-tv play, which leaves the tv blank
+ Skippable cutscenes and dialog
+ In general, I like the vehicles. It adds a nice variety to the game and more things to customize and upgrade
+ I found the alternate control scheme much more comfortable for ground/sea combat (push in the direction you want to go)

3DS
- Similarly has that rushed feel of previous 3DS entries
- Magic items only unlock stars and dont even have images/models attached to them (the game just shows the name)
- It doesn't seem like there is an easy way to view all of the available tracks
+ The racing is pretty fun, though the controls and mechanics are slightly different than the conole games, which feels a bit odd switching back and forth.

Figures
- Sloppy paint jobs, metallic paint, cheaper looking plastic really gives off the cheap toy vibe this iteration
- Clown cruiser has no movable parts, and kind of just rocks back and forth on it's thrusters
- A couple of derp eye figures in my set, and Bowser doesn't really sit flat on his base
- $13/$15 doesn't really feel justified this time around, especially when compared to the competition which is now in the same price bracket
+ The ground vehicles have a nice weight and momentum to them

A lot of negative points, but because after four(eight) games this is what sticks out to me. The game itself is still on track to be my favorite in the series.

Thanks for the impressions, I will post my PS4 ones when it comes tomorrow. 3DS version is coming today for me, so IT'S SHOWTIME!

Amneisac

Preordered the Dark Edition from Target way back in July for $74.99 and dat sweet Redcard 5% discount, but now I'm having to suffer through waiting on it to show up. Got my shipping notification today at least, so that's good.

I've heard a lot of conflicting information on what you'll need to 100% the game. Is it one of each vehicle type (land/sea/air) and one element of each new Skylander? You don't need each Skylander and their corresponding vehicles, right?

RobbieNick

Preordered the Dark Edition from Target way back in July for $74.99 and dat sweet Redcard 5% discount, but now I'm having to suffer through waiting on it to show up. Got my shipping notification today at least, so that's good.

I've heard a lot of conflicting information on what you'll need to 100% the game. Is it one of each vehicle type (land/sea/air) and one element of each new Skylander? You don't need each Skylander and their corresponding vehicles, right?

If the Wii/3DS racing one is anything to go by, it's the elements on the vehicles themselves.

However, I've been playing the WiiU game and either I've missed parts or something, but I haven't noticed any elemental gates blocking off areas this time. You do have to have the trophies to unlock extra circuits in the racing mode and they only come in $35 3-pack bundles.

Kinsei

Banned

You need every supercharger and their vehicles if you want to get every star.

Some Guy

The 50$ digital version is ridiculous. Disney Infinity 3.0 was 20-30 for the digital version based on the system.

The digital version of Skylanders comes with a full length game campaign. Digital Disney Infinity doesn't -- it only comes with the toybox level editor. You would still need to buy a $35 playset in addition to the digital game to actually have a campaign to play.

Stanng243

The digital version of Skylanders comes with a full length game campaign. Digital Disney Infinity doesn't -- it only comes with the toybox level editor. You would still need to buy a $35 playset in addition to the digital game to actually have a campaign to play.

Granted, I think 50$ is still too much. With GCU, the whole set is 60$, with everything physical. I already have the Dark set for the PS4, now I want it digitally on the PS3 without the imaginary figures.

Granted, I think 50$ is still too much. With GCU, the whole set is 60$, with everything physical. I already have the Dark set for the PS4, now I want it digitally on the PS3 without the imaginary figures.

I was on the same boat as well. Digital version on 3DS was still quite high for me.
GCU made it not that much expensive for the actual figures.

I blame the lack of anything now making me go ahead and play both games. They picked a good release week.

Can anyone comment on the Skylanders SuperChargers Racing Action Pack, in particular if the water is a lot more interesting than the base game - eg is it kind of like the wave race type games with cool wave effects, or just similar to the regular game (except the background scenery)

If they included a new figure I'd have bought it, but being basically just an existing slightly modified character I already own made me hold off.

Kinsei

Banned
Can anyone comment on the Skylanders SuperChargers Racing Action Pack, in particular if the water is a lot more interesting than the base game - eg is it kind of like the wave race type games with cool wave effects, or just similar to the regular game (except the background scenery)

If they included a new figure I'd have bought it, but being basically just an existing slightly modified character I already own made me hold off.

There are waves in the pirate track (caused by cannon balls being shot into the water) that you get, but it's nothing close to wave race. The other track is a movie studio inspired by Indiana Jones.

I could record a video of the tracks if you want.

I'm going to be posting all the tracks and at least one of every challenge of the Wii version game on Youtube if you're interested in checking it out. Here's the first one where I drive absolutely lousy.

It's a fun game and the audience still on the Wii will likely dig it. It took about 5/6 hours to beat 80/90 percent of everything in the adventure mode. I haven't played the other version yet, but from one video I saw on Youtube it looks like the Wii version has some down graded tracks that are in the proper game.

Does anyone happen to know Activision's stance on posting Skylander Gameplay?

I'm going to be posting all the tracks and at least one of every challenge of the Wii version game on Youtube if you're interested in checking it out. Here's the first one where I drive absolutely lousy.

It's a fun game and the audience still on the Wii will likely dig it. It took about 5/6 hours to beat 80/90 percent of everything in the adventure mode. I haven't played the other version yet, but from one video I saw on Youtube it looks like the Wii version has some down graded tracks that are in the proper game.

Does anyone happen to know Activision's stance on posting Skylander Gameplay?
They have not taken down TealGameMaster'a videos, so you should be fine. He is doing both PS4 and 3DS.

There are waves in the pirate track (caused by cannon balls being shot into the water) that you get, but it's nothing close to wave race. The other track is a movie studio inspired by Indiana Jones.

I could record a video of the tracks if you want.

oh thanks for letting me know - yeah no need to record videos if there arent waves, I was really hoping they went the wave race route with some tracks - especially as its the sea in the expansion - and they seem to have gone a different direction.

RobbieNick

The Wii/3DS has waves you do tricks off of for a speed boost, but the camera doesn't follow when you dive. Diving is basically ducking under obstacles.

Been playing Racing (3DS) with some impressions...

+ The air/land/water feels much more interesting than Mario Kart 7
+ Taking cues from All-Stars Transformed for SP is neat
+ Looks good for a 3DS game
+ Water races are like Wave Race which I approve
? Controls take a bit to adjust
? Some modes are better than others (Chompies is so pinpoint)
- Feels restrictive without buying more vehicles
- The figures are meh for the $13 you pay for them

Funny how most of my issues are about the cash making schemes...

RK128

Been playing Racing (3DS) with some impressions...

+ The air/land/water feels much more interesting than Mario Kart 7
+ Taking cues from All-Stars Transformed for SP is neat
+ Looks good for a 3DS game
+ Water races are like Wave Race which I approve
? Controls take a bit to adjust
? Some modes are better than others (Chompies is so pinpoint)
- Feels restrictive without buying more vehicles
- The figures are meh for the $13 you pay for them

Funny how most of my issues are about the cash making schemes...

Do you have older figures from prior games? I think every figures from past games works with the 3DS version, so you can have a large roster of racers if you really want :).

Cars are tied to the Superchargers line....so I can see how that limits your car selection.

Started this earlier today, and played it for close to three hours. Activision sent out a whole bunch of toys, so I've been playing with the different elements. With the other games, I only had the Starter Sets, so I just played with those Skylanders and avoided the others' gates.

I've done some racing, which is pretty solid but really cheap at times. It's nuts on hard.

I'm not far into the story, but I've been doing some challenges so that's taken up time in addition to the racing. I just got to and did the tutorials/meetings in the hub.

It's nice-looking, polished and well made. I like it.

I've done some racing, which is pretty solid but really cheap at times. It's nuts on hard.
Yeah, Hard is legit. It helps that you can have attacks outside of the ? Crate (aka ? Block).

Also yeah I have the older figures but racers only change stats a bit. The clunker really is a clunker.
Luckily it seems the PS4 game comes with a car. Just need a water racer.

So how do quadrupeds drive?

By the way, consider this:

This is DK and Bowser's first appearance on Wii in years and may be their unexpected and late swan song on it, in an Activision game.

RK128

I would imagine a character like Spyro just 'stands' in the kart and it moves on its own or something.

Vicarious Visions/Toys for Bob likely thought of a way to tackle that issue before the game came out but (as I don't own the game), I have no idea how they address that issue :(.

A friend of mine gave me the exclusive car from E3, so I'm looking forward to picking this up eventually... I like to stay a year or so behind on Skylanders so I can get mad deals, so Trap Team is next on my radar whenever I can get that for under $20 (hopefully with GCU).

killroy87

Are we to assume that vehicles will be a staple in the games going forward? They've done an incredibly good job at backwards compatibility thus far.

rcl66

Bought the digital portal owners on ps4 and made it to the main hub world. Whenever I place a older skylander on the portal is just stays on the portal screen and doesn't go back to the game like it isn't accepting the new character. But they show up as part of the collection on the game. Anyone have this issue? Is it just because I am still in the hub world?

Abylim

So another stupid question. It says 2-4 players on the box. Is that just for racing or can we finally have more than 2 Skylanders out at once? I want to play this with my wife and daughter at the same time

A friend of mine gave me the exclusive car from E3, so I'm looking forward to picking this up eventually... I like to stay a year or so behind on Skylanders so I can get mad deals, so Trap Team is next on my radar whenever I can get that for under $20 (hopefully with GCU).

You missed it. Just two weeks ago Target had a 75% off all Trap Team sets with their free cartwheel app. You could price match to their website for $30 and get the set for less than $8. I got a Wii (comes with a Wii U code too) and 3DS set.

So another stupid question. It says 2-4 players on the box. Is that just for racing or can we finally have more than 2 Skylanders out at once? I want to play this with my wife and daughter at the same time

It's four-player online, two-player local.

RobbieNick

Got Fiesta today at Gamestop (not the exclusive, Halloween one. The more colorful one). This guy is easily my favorite of the non-Nintendo Skylanders right now. He's got a great design and a lot of personality.

fernoca

I'm looking foreard for Bone Bash Roller Brawl and Splat. Really like their designs.

At the moment, I'll stay with what I have: 10 Skylanders, 6 minis, regular and Dark Bowser, regular and Dark DK, their respective vehicles. Got Dive Bomber to have a water vehicle and have all 3 elements to get 3 stars per stage; and an Elite Spyro which looks quite nice on the case, but is maxed to Level 20.

Ok so I could have my daughter and myself on my ps4 and my wife connecting to our game with hers?
Nope. Only 2 players locally and 1 vs. up to 3 online.

By the way, consider this:

This is DK and Bowser's first appearance on Wii in years and may be their unexpected and late swan song on it, in an Activision game.
I would imagine a character like Spyro just 'stands' in the kart and it moves on its own or something.

Vicarious Visions/Toys for Bob likely thought of a way to tackle that issue before the game came out but (as I don't own the game), I have no idea how they address that issue :(.
Seems they stand in two and drive using their feet like hands.

Quick pics of Spyro driving.
xFTjd7A.jpg

O5jCm6m.jpg

I'm playing on Nightmare from the get-go, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. But I have quite a few lives, so hopefully it won't be too hard.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm playing on Nightmare from the get-go, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. But I have quite a few lives, so hopefully it won't be too hard.

The final boss should be interesting on Nightmare. It took me almost all of my superchargers on expert.

The final boss should be interesting on Nightmare. It took me almost all of my superchargers on expert.

I figured as much. It'll probably be a chore. Thankfully you can drop the difficulty down if need be. That's the only reason I went with nightmare from the start, with level 0 Skylanders.

RK128

Seems they stand in two and drive using their feet like hands.

Quick pics of Spyro driving.
xFTjd7A.jpg

O5jCm6m.jpg

Thanks for sharing that fernoca :D!

Looks like they did a good job making the older Skylanders work with the cars/planes/boats, so that was very smart of them :).

Kitoro

Speaking of Spyro, is he even relevant to this series anymore? I've never played any of the Skylanders games yet, mind you. I just haven't seen any Spyro figures since the very original Skylanders released.

killroy87

Speaking of Spyro, is he even relevant to this series anymore? I've never played any of the Skylanders games yet, mind you. I just haven't seen any Spyro figures since the very original Skylanders released.

He's still there, but he was only prominent in the original, as they thought they needed him to springboard as a well known franchise (they almost certainly didn't). It doesn't help that the redesign they gave him is ass ugly.

Not particularly relevant, no. Originally, the game was called "Spyro's Kingdom"

"Spyro's Kingdom was originally going to be a mature Spyro game with a much darker tone, that also included blood, but the developers of Toys for Bob lost their enthusiasm and felt that this direction did not feel like "Spyro." "

The game was cancelled, but Toys for Bob kept working on it and eventually turned it into Skylanders. Whirlwind, Bash, Ghost Roaster, Eruptor, and Stealth Elf were all designed at this point (Zap too, who was a weird cyclops blob thing)

But anyways, after it turned into Skylanders, the series kind of had legs of its own, so Spyro took a back seat to whatever new thing was coming out. Trap Team was the first game to lack a reposed Spyro, and Superchargers lacks any quadruped Skylander so there's no Spyro here either.

Personally speaking, I'd love to see a Spyro game on his own away from Skylanders, since both have enough weight to stand on their own. A new game could include different playable characters like Year of the Dragon did, but also incorporate some of the Skylanders, like Gilly and Triggs.

Kitoro

Thanks for the detailed info! I absolutely loved Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon. It was a fantastic co-op experience, and would love another game like that.

Kinsei

Banned
A friend returned the $200 I had loaned her so I went out and got some more wave 1 figures. I can not find the combo packs anywhere. I guess I'll have to hold off until wave 2 to see if I can find the triple pack before buying Terrafin.

My haul was:
Fiesa
Frightful Fiesta
Crypt Crusher
Stormblade
Sky Slicer
Steel Plated Smash Hit
Legendary Jet-Vac

I just have the dark figures + Kaos trophy, Nitro Stealth Stinger, Spitfire, Hot Streak, and the special E3 Hot Streak left to get. I suppose there's also gold hot streak but I don't care about chase variants.

Speaking of Nitro Stealth Stinger, has anyone seen it in Canada? It seems like we didn;t get it because Target Canada is no more.

Top Bottom