• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders Swap-Force |OT|

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently there's going to be an Easter wave (wave 4?) with the following characters. Only Best Buy has these listed so far.

Punk Shock
Fryno
Springtime Trigger Happy

zBiuSx9.jpg
nEkuNez.jpg
FHyCvMj.jpg

Mistah

Forgive me for asking but does bestbuy send to europe also if yes. Will they work on a pal portal ? Im fairly new at this :)

Slermy

I'm under the impression figures aren't region locked.

Have no clue about Best Buy shiipping to Europe though.

Also, aside from Trigger Happy, I don't see a difference with Fryno and Punk Shock aside from the packaging?

So i picked up the Wii- U swap force bundle but I'm not sure if I'll just sell it or try it out....I'm on the fence. Can someone give me a quick rundown of how this game plays? And what are the differences between this and Disney Infinity?

Slermy

Haven't played Infinity, so I can't comment on that.

As far as Swap-Force, it's a highly polished 3D action/platformer with light RPG elements. Most levels consist of attacking lots of bad guys and trying to find hidden items. There are bonus areas along the way which are gated behind character archetypes (to get your to buy more figures), but it's all optional.

If you have it, you should really give it a shot (oh, and go ahead and start off on the highest available difficulty).

Haven't played Infinity, so I can't comment on that.

As far as Swap-Force, it's a highly polished 3D action/platformer with light RPG elements. Most levels consist of attacking lots of bad guys and trying to find hidden items. There are bonus areas along the way which are gated behind character archetypes (to get your to buy more figures), but it's all optional.

If you have it, you should really give it a shot (oh, and go ahead and start off on the highest available difficulty).

Thanks for the reply sounds interesting. Maybe I'll give it a shot but I'm not sure me and the kids need a bunch of figures and portal thingys laying around (they really want disney infinity). Maybe Iill just keep skylanders for myself :)

bumpkin

So i picked up the Wii- U swap force bundle but I'm not sure if I'll just sell it or try it out....I'm on the fence. Can someone give me a quick rundown of how this game plays? And what are the differences between this and Disney Infinity?
Personally, I think Swap Force is the better game/package. If you take away the Disney license, Infinity is something most people would play once or twice and never touch again. I got swept up in the hype surrounding it -- me and my wife are both huge Disney fans -- and we did just that; played it once, then went back to Skylanders.

Just my two cents.

Personally, I think Swap Force is the better game/package. If you take away the Disney license, Infinity is something most people would play once or twice and never touch again. I got swept up in the hype surrounding it -- me and my wife are both huge Disney fans -- and we did just that; played it once, then went back to Skylanders.

Just my two cents.

This.

I really wanted to love Infinity (big Disney fan), even deciding to skeep Swap Force (bought all figures from previous games). However I had to rething that decision and now I am supporting both games (my little son loves Skylanders, played DI just for one weekend. I still like the DI figures more, but its playset structure is not really a match to the gauntlet type of game from Skylanders.

Some Guy

Skylanders works for me, because, well... 3 games in, you still really only need a minimum of 1 character for each of the 8 elements to experience the bulk of the games. (8 first gen Skylanders will let you 100% the first game, and play all but the giant and swap zone challenges in the second and third.) And completing that set of 8 is a lot less painful now, because:

- There are so many characters of each element to choose from now... odds are if you like the style of the series, there's going to be at least one character of each element that you'd actually like to own, rather than just requiring it out of elemental obligation. And they will all work with Swap Force, if that's the game you want to play.

- On the flip side, if you're just looking to play the series as cheaply as possible, the characters that are compatible with all three games are generally also the cheapest to buy, especially used. (You can fill your missing five element slots for around 25 bucks on craigslist.)

These two changes are what it took for me to finally hop on board with the series, starting with Swap Force. I have 24 figures and all three games now, and REGRET NOTHING.

(I will warn though, if you are an obsessive 100% completionist, you will need 8 actual Swap characters to completely finish the third game, because you need them for the swap minigames. That means buying an extra 6 of the newer $15 toys that only work with the 3rd game, which is a much more expensive proposition that 100-percenting the first two is.)

Thanks for all the advice guys. Maybe I'll wait till the wife and kids are asleep and give it a go. So buying used characters/figures is the same as buying them in the store? they don't come with codes or anything silly like that?

Thanks for all the advice guys. Maybe I'll wait till the wife and kids are asleep and give it a go. So buying used characters/figures is the same as buying them in the store? they don't come with codes or anything silly like that?

They come with codes to use for some browser game I think. I think you can register to use them with the ipad versions. The codes are pretty pointless as I've never used them.

Cfh123

I recently got Swap Force for the PS4 to play with my two young boys. I got it for $55 but should have gotten it on the holiday sale for $45.

I have been enjoying it. It is bright and colourful, with some humour for the grown-ups. There is a fair amount of polish to the game and there seems to be a lot of content.

I will max out the 3 characters in the starter pack before buying any more. My kids like pointing to the poster that comes with the game as to which new toys they want to get. The poster as a marketing tool is rather brilliant.

Some Guy

With some Skylanders figures, there are alternate variant versions made with alternate paint schemes or materials. Usually they are exclusives, either to specific retailers or game bundles.

The squid character you have is the "Color Shift" version of Wash Buckler. He's an exclusive pack-in with the Wii U Swap Force console bundle. There's no other way to get that version, so it sells a little above value on ebay. (Around 20-30 dollars at the moment.)

Some variant figures (like your Wash-Buckler) still look like the regular version of the character in-game. But some actually take on their alternate appearance in-game, as well. It depends on the variant. I bought this one recently -- the Walmart exclusive "Enchanted" version of Star Strike:

BhR67QHCUAAhmcB.jpg

In this case, the alternate black-and-white colour scheme shows up in-game as well. Also, as it turns out, the white hood on the toy changes to bright blue in sunlight, which was news to me until I took it out of the store.

Figures come with a code number (for mobile games) and a trading card. Most of the people I've bought used from have still had those too, or at least the trading card.

With some Skylanders figures, there are alternate variant versions made with alternate paint schemes or materials. Usually they are exclusives, either to specific retailers or game bundles.

The squid character you have is the "Color Shift" version of Wash Buckler. He's an exclusive pack-in with the Wii U Swap Force console bundle. There's no other way to get that version, so it sells a little above value on ebay. (Around 20-30 dollars at the moment.)

Some variant figures (like your Wash-Buckler) still look like the regular version of the character in-game. But some actually take on their alternate appearance in-game, as well. It depends on the variant. I bought this one recently -- the Walmart exclusive "Enchanted" version of Star Strike:

BhR67QHCUAAhmcB.jpg

In this case, the alternate black-and-white colour scheme shows up in-game as well. Also, as it turns out, the white hood on the toy changes to bright blue in sunlight, which was news to me until I took it out of the store.

Figures come with a code number (for mobile games) and a trading card. Most of the people I've bought used from have still had those too, or at least the trading card.

Hmm thats interesting..are figures platform specific or no? Will I have to hunt down Wii-U specific figures?

Some Guy

They are not, no! That's actually the best part. The figures are platform agnostic, and store their stats on the actual toy.

If you take a compatible figure into any one of the Wii/U, PS3/4, or 360/one games, they'll be at whatever level you left them at last. (Or the highest level available, if they are over... the level cap is 10 in the first, 15 in the second and 20 in the third.) They'll also have all their currency, and all the moves you've purchased with said currency. (With the exception of any moves that were only introduced in a later game -- when they release a new version of an old character, like the Giants or Swap Force versions of the Spyro figure, they give that version one additional move on top of their old ones.)

The 3DS games also recognize the figure's level. There is no currency in the 3ds series, though... moves are just unlocked automatically by level.

Ade

HMV UK are clearing the Swap Force Adventure Packs at sub £5 if anyone has one local. Just grabbed the Tower of Time pack from there.

gatisimo

Just bought this for my kids on my sons' birthday, and I wish I would have jumped sooner. I immediately regretted the cash I spent on Disney Infinity -- we bought every character available the first few weeks -- and wish I could just trade them in for these. What a beautiful game. I'm stunned at how polished it is. I was having a good time playing with them. Inevitably, it's going to be a money sink for me.

Slermy

I might have to pick up Trap Shadow. How are the stealth levels?

Also, how do you guys feel about the rumors of Vehicles as being the "thing" in the next game? I'd be pretty disappointed.

The only figure different in the "eggs" set is Trigger Happy, right? The others are just different packing. Are they Walmart exclusives?

The only figure different in the "eggs" set is Trigger Happy, right? The others are just different packing. Are they Walmart exclusives?

I think its only Springtime Trigger Happy, but its also the first time Punk Shock is available.

Fryno looks to be available as both egg version and regular version in Wave 4.

Slacker

What's the point of the springtime Fryno if it's the same figure? Are we going to start getting the same Skylanders released every year with different color packages and no other differences?

Hey guys anyone have indigo Slam Bam? I almost have ROY G BIV and that's the only one I'm missing.

zebwinz

What's the point of the springtime Fryno if it's the same figure? Are we going to start getting the same Skylanders released every year with different color packages and no other differences?

Hey guys anyone have indigo Slam Bam? I almost have ROY G BIV and that's the only one I'm missing.

As far as I know, they are no real differences except for their color scheme basically.

However, I did get Jolly Bumble Blast and his figure gave me a Santa hat with good bonuses that I could then use on other characters. Don't know about Fryno though

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Good to see a Skylanders page for Swap Force on Neogaf. As usual, I am still collecting these things. Somethings have changed with my collection, but one thing I decided to do with Swap Force, is collect enough to display all 256 combinations of Swap Force Skylanders.

I thought I would show everyone what I've amassed so far, in terms of that project -

I am currently sitting at 165/256 Swap Force Skylander combinations.

I wish they would hurry up and release Doom Stone, and I am waiting for TRU to drop the price of Starter Packs to 20 bucks, like they did with Giants last year, so I can get the rest of my Wash Bucklers and Blast Zones.

Once I complete my Swap Force collection, I will show you guys my 4th wall (which I managed to deck out in Swap Force).

Thanati

Weird. I just spent the weekend playing this with my cousin's son. He's crazy for it! I had a blast playing it too. Great fun!

Platy

Pretty impressive collection !

Also, a canadian friend got me a WiiU Skylanders Bundle .... but for 32 reasons that really makes me sad, the Skylanders part of the bundle will not be able to fly to me on Brazil.

So ... anyone living in toronto wants a cheap skylanders ? =(
Comes with bronze Wash Buckler
(looks to be just the paint job that is diferent)
LNS6uRQ.jpg

These 3, a portal and the WiiU game
HLfT4An.png

Kemal86

Was Jade Fire Kraken ever released? I haven't been following Swap force as closely as the last two sets as my financial situation has changed but I'm still looking out for a handful of them.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Well that is something.... unique. Good luck with your collection, nice to see you post here again.

Thanks. Good to be back. I haven't forgotten about this place. I was just waiting to complete Swap Force before I show updated pics of my collection.

Was Jade Fire Kraken ever released? I haven't been following Swap force as closely as the last two sets as my financial situation has changed but I'm still looking out for a handful of them.

Not yet. Some theorize it will come out this summer. Something about 4th of July and fireworks, since Kraken loves his fireworks. Here's hoping it's sooner, because the sooner I finish my collection, the sooner I can show everyone what I've been up to.

Of all things, I wish they'd hurry and release Doom Stone, as I'm ready to get all 256 combinations out of the way.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
One final look at my project of getting all 256 unique combinations of Swap Force figures, until Doom Stone releases.

This is 209 of 256 unique combinations.

I have the final 5 Rattle Shake and Free Rangers I need, as well as the final 2 Wash Bucklers and Blast Zones (all brand new), on their way to me now.

This means the only thing I am missing are 18 Doom Stones (1 for my wall, 1 for my children, and 16 for me including 1 for path A and one for path B) to have all 256 unique Swap Force combinations.

Here's hoping I can get ahold of Doom Stone soon, as I would like to display all 256.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Once I have gotten Doom Stone, I will post new photos of my collection, which includes my 4th and final wall in my Skylanders room, as well as a pic of all 256 unique combinations.

fernoca

Quick reminder that all Starter Packs of Swap-Force are on sale at Toys R Us website for $37.49 and all figures are buy 1 get 1 50% off. Don't know if it's a glitch as the sale was advertised to start in-store this Sunday; but those interested can use store pic-up and get them today.

Amazon is the same price.

and TRUS site is kind working funny, it does not consider the "easter" skylanders to be part of the promotion.

Just checked my shopping cart. All 3 easter packs shows on stock, but by shopping cart has 10 skylanders itens. The discount is only applied to the 2nd, 4th and 6th, not to 8th and 10th. I noticed that if I remove itens and change the iten order, the discount is applied to the easter ones as well, but only if they are on the 2nd, 4th and 6th positions. Is there a limit in the promotion?

Slermy

Finally picked up a Trap Shadow and played with him for a bit.

I find him surprisingly fun! Not sure what it is, but I just really like his mix of attacks. Melee, ranged & trap.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
10257043_10102186164615444_8009818009652433066_n.jpg

Doom Stone, Lightcore Bumble Blast, Kickoff Countdown. :)

sorry for the bump, but...
I've just seen a brand new distribution announced for Italy, through two of the most famous Newspapers over here.
To anticipate the Football World Cup, they are starting distributing for the first time in Italy some Skylander in the kiosks.
The first one will be Kickoff Countdown, in honor of the World Cup:

http://www.rcsmediagroup.it/comunic...alcio-arriva-in-edicola-lesclusivo-skylander/

skylanders-291x420.jpg

They will distribute 30 characters (price varies because there will be also Giants characters), while the basic will be 9.99€, so the same price as in the toy/electronic stores.

What let me confused is that it seems that they are presenting characters from various episodes, as if they are trying to clean some old stock from the market with this new deal through kiosks

Btw, I'm gonna buy Kickoff Countdown ;p

Kaita

Neo Member
I have not played Skylanders before and would like to pick it up for my Wii U. Is the portal wireless? My consoles are in a media closet and I see some wireless and some wired.

U2NUMB

I have not played Skylanders before and would like to pick it up for my Wii U. Is the portal wireless? My consoles are in a media closet and I see some wireless and some wired.

Sadly now they are not. I am guessing the Wii U one is not but my X1 and PS4 versions both have wires.

Not sure where you live but my local wal mart had the Wii U version on clearance for 25 ish dollars.

Top Bottom