• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders Trap Team |OT|

Hawk269

May I asked what do you mean by wave 2? Sorry I'm a bit noobish about skylanders some stuff are just confusing.

Wave 2 is the next series of characters that are coming out. There are usually 3-4 waves of figures. Wave 1 are the launch figures that are currently available, Wave 2 will have a few more new characters and traps, then probably in November or so there will be Wave 3 of more new figures and traps.

The game focuses around 8 different elements and in this game there are the large characters called Trap Masters. There are some gates within the levels that require you to have a certain element in order to open the gate to access that area. In Wave 1, including the figure that came with the starter set there are currently 6 out of 8 elements of the Trap Masters. I believe Wave 2 will have the other 2 elements.

According to the paperwork that came with the game there are 2 Trap masters of every element for a total of 16 Trap masters. Then there are the smaller characters as well. Some of these smaller ones are reposes (with some changed/better skills) of older characters that are also put into the Wave's in addition to all new smaller characters.

In short it can be a big money pit, but some people enjoy the collecting of figures and some like to level each character up.

Hope that explains it a little better. If you plan on jumping in and getting a lot of figures/traps, just take advantage of the TRU sales as they are the best around currently.

Meffer

same the Ambiibos are the only thing stopping me from getting anything else..basically because nintendo is something i know so much about and i love all the characters so its worth

Yep, and I'm doing the same thing like with Skylanders on getting what Amiibo I want instead of them all. I already preordered Kirby, Peach and Samus right now. There's others I want to get as soon as their waves come out too.

Is it just the lighting or is that jawbreaker a different color? Thought he was bronze or something.

He's a copper color but his hands are translucent like Gearshift's gear.

I'm liking the focus on the trap masters and villains. Trap masters are required for bashing through traptanium, villain fights, and opening special gates while the villains also get their own redemption quests and can be a quick swap in while looking for health for your main skylander.

Even if you don't have a trap for the correct element, looks like the captured villain gets thrown to your prison. And if you capture a new villain and you use a trap with a villain already in it, it'll ask you which of the two you'll want to have stay in -- the other gets thrown over to your prison…. of which, you can swap back in in-between levels anyway.

Grakl

I do, thanks!

If it's like last year, Target and Walmart will probably have it 50% off on black friday...also craigslist can end up being a really cheap place to get a ton of figures and the games if you can wait :)

That's a good idea, if I can get it online on black friday. There's so many games coming out right now anyway that I also want to get, so the wait isn't too bad.

Gusto

I already advised my wife to purchase that sexy Gusto figure. I need it. I also has me that sweet E3 trap hem I must try out.

me0wish

You are most welcome!

@hawk

Wow! That's a lot of info, much more than I needed, but thanks for trying to help me out really appreciate it!

I have all giants and swap force, and I'm thinking of getting all trap team eventually. I focus on the "gimmicky" skylanders because I don't want to buy a character that will get another slightly different upgraded variant that I will have to buy again, the series thing just makes things confusing/annoying.

Speaking of variants, how are the mini? Are they just the same just with a smaller figure?

RobbieNick

The install on the X-Box One version is taking forever...I've been at 87% for a half hour and been trying to install for the last 90 minutes. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!

Uninstalled and tried again. going much faster now.

UPDATE: Nevermind, still crawls at 85%

If I've never played a Skylanders game, should I try to snag an older game/figures to see if I'll like it, or just wait for Black Friday sales on the new game? Where should a newbie start?

fernoca

If I've never played a Skylanders game, should I try to snag an older game/figures to see if it's I'll like it, or just wait for Black Friday sales on the new game? Where should a newbie start?
If you can find it really cheap, get Swap-Force. Otherwise, wait and grab this one.

Some Guy

I enjoyed the heck out of Swap Force, and I'm really looking forward to playing Trap Team. It was really tempting seeing it and all the figures at the mall today.

But honestly, I think I enjoy the metagame of toy bargain hunting nearly as much as the actual videogame part. So I'm going to force myself to wait a while before picking the game up. The core packages do tend to get marked down pretty low pretty quickly. You need 9 extra Trap Masters and 6 traps to unlock everything in this one, so I think it's going to take some pretty rigorous sales-monitoring to finish it all within acceptable fiscal parameters.

That said, I did buy a Gear Shift! It can just sit on my desk for now. And they gave me a free Punch Pop Fizz figure at EB for trading in one of my old portals, which was nice.

By9qazNIgAEbi6Y.jpg

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
is there a way to exploit the Wii U free download code from the Wii version, if I want to trade the Wii packaged version at Gamestop, keeping the figures (but not the portal?)

Dragoshi1

My Sunday loot!

Both triple trap packs
Dark Edition for PS4
Minis Bop and Terrabite
Minis Spry and Mini jini
Chopper
Funny Bone
Torch
Legendary Jawbreaker
Legendary Nightmare Express
Punch Pop Fizz
Nitro Krypt King
Gill Grunt and Gill Runt Buddy pack
Gearshift
Gusto
Wallop

15460363072_9bbdfcd66b_b.jpg

Just realized the bottom cardboard in the packaging is actually a tray for all the traps when you flip it over…. now reconsidering picking up more traps…. Lulz.

Kemal86

Just got my Dark Edition PS4 in from Amazon.

Haven't played the game yet, but here's some thoughts on the hardware.

- The Trap Tray posted above is a great idea. There's a slot for every trappable enemy in the game, so you can socket your trap into the corresponding slot to keep track of which villain you have active in each trap
- There are ?? marked spaces in the trap tray, presumably for the two "mystery elements" that have not been revealed yet. There was a leaked list showing two extra Trap Masters called Knight Mare and Knght Lite, my guess is the two new elements are Light and Dark. Apparently the actual game has ?? Elemental gates that can't be accessed yet as well.
- The Trap Masters are huge. They could easily qualify as Giant Skylanders. The top hilt of Krypt King's sword is only slightly shorter than Ninjini's hair braid (Ninjini being the tallest figure). Jawbreaker and Snapshot are also super wide.
- All of the Trap Masters have special weapons made of Traptanium. On the figures the Traptanium weapons are a semi-translucent plastic. This is hit or miss. Krypt King's sword looks awesome, Snap Shot's Bow looks like someone got overzealous with a glue gun.
- The "Dark" figures look great.
- Food Fight and Chopper are my two favorite normal Skylanders of the bunch
- New Portal is super cool. The biggest portal by far. Has a transparent base, the white ring around the portal lights up.

Lijik

Is Trap Team like Giants where playing on easy gives you the most exp, or like Swap Force where you get the most in nightmare?

Kemal86

Huh.

My Tree Rex isnt recognized by the Traptanium Portal. Nothing happens when I place him - the figure doesn't even light up. Gnarly Tree Rex and the rest of the figures I've tried work just fine.

I also noticed that the finish on my Granite Crusher has mysteriously whitened, he looks like crap now.

Impressions so far:

• So far this feels like a better version of Giants (my least favorite in the series) with a nice twist with the villains (which I thought was a stupid gimmick, but am ending up LOVING).
• Villains- Again, the real highlight of the game...I do like that you really don't need traps for EVERY villain...just for each element. One thing that I found out is that the evolution of the villains is tied to a specific trap, which may be a benefit of having a single trap for a specific villain.
• Villain redemption Missions- All over the map...from really fun little challenge levels, to redemptions that just involve talking to someone. Nice idea though.
• Character design- I really think these are some of the nicest character designs so far in the series...and like that there will be more female characters this time around.
• Minis- I prefer this over another repose...though they aren't really "essential" and play similarly to their larger versions.
• Elemental Gates- HATE that they made it so that only Trapmasters can open these gates. Almost feels like last minute Activision told them they had to make sure trap masters would sell and told them to make the gates only openable by trap masters.
• New Skystones- Not bad...essentially a combo of old sky stones and Magic: The Gathering...
• Rhythm Mini Game- meh. it's fine a couple times, but get's old extremely quickly.
• Kaos- Wave-based tower challenge mini-game. Nice way to level up characters. Mix of old arenas with tower protection. Like it just fine so far.
• Arenas- Haven't played a ton, but they play very similarly to previous games.
• Trapmasters- they may as well be slightly faster giants without lights, and instead transparent plastic weapons. Most of them are pretty slow, and ridiculously overpowered.
• Old Skylanders- I am of two thoughts on this. It's nice that they clearly made this game with the new skylanders very much in mind. However, the subtle paywalls in the game with elemental gates only opening for Trapmasters is very annoying (and costly). The old figures work just fine in this game, but there is no "reward" really for using them. Still, it's nice to have a toy game where you can continue use ANY toy in the game, and not just in a specific level or world (looking at you, Infinity).
• Graphics- I have it on the PS4 and it's gorgeous...
• Controls- Not as tight as Swapforce...just overall doesn't feel quite as finessed as Swap force was.
• Cost- Continues to be a costly game. If you are the fence, I say wait for inevitable sales, or craigslist deals. Patience can make this game MUCH cheaper. All that being said, you don't actually have to have many characters to complete the main game.

Overall, Trap Team is fantastic so far...but, I think Swapforce is a better game. I think I just like Vicarious Visions better as a developer. Still, Trap Team is a great, beautifully colorful, fun game...and one of the few out there that a whole family could play and enjoy. I've said it before, but unless you REALLLLLLLY love the toy box mode in DI, Skylanders is far and away the better game. I'd love to see them next year focus on an bigger/better story mode and/or a secondary game to use your figs in (imagine a Skylanders Kart- where you could use any and all figures)...and less on a gimmick (as much fun as the villain one turned out to be).

I bought 4 traps due to not thinking a better sale will come along but am holding out on the game and trap masters. Think I'll probably just end up grabbing two trap master characters and the Starter this time. Hopefully Black Friday will pay off this year like last year.

Impressions so far:

• So far this feels like a better version of Giants (my least favorite in the series) with a nice twist with the villains (which I thought was a stupid gimmick, but am ending up LOVING).

That's worrying as Giants was also my least favorite. At least this year has a cooler gimmick than big toys.

I bought 4 traps due to not thinking a better sale will come along but am holding out on the game and trap masters. Think I'll probably just end up grabbing two trap master characters and the Starter this time. Hopefully Black Friday will pay off this year like last year.

That's worrying as Giants was also my least favorite. At least this year has a cooler gimmick than big toys.

It's a better game than Giants...but it does feel more like a sequel to Giants than it does Swap Force (not surprising since Toys for Bob didn't do Swap Force)

Slermy

I want to pick this up but am really torn. I bought Swap-Force (and loved it) on the Wii U as my first Skylanders.

Do I pick up Wii U for Off-TV & GamePad Villian Play?
Or should I go PS4?

Should I buy the Dark Edition (I don't really care for the "dark" variants this time around, but I would like to have a Kaos trap)? Or buy the regular version?

Decisions... decisions.

I did go ahead and grab Chopper though.

I want to pick this up but am really torn. I bought Swap-Force (and loved it) on the Wii U as my first Skylanders.

Do I pick up Wii U for Off-TV & GamePad Villian Play?
Or should I go PS4?

Should I buy the Dark Edition (I don't really care for the "dark" variants this time around, but I would like to have a Kaos trap)? Or buy the regular version?

Decisions... decisions.

I did go ahead and grab Chopper though.

Personally, the graphical upgrade on the PS4 is worth it...but I don't use off-tv too often on Wii U, so depends on your needs.

Dark is a good value (you get Kaos trap and Dark Wildfire)...I ended up getting it with the GCU discount and then I may get the normal pack when it gets dirt cheap (I like the normal color starters better than the black)

Slermy

Does the PS4 version look noticeably better than the Wii U version? I thought Swap-Force already looked pretty great on the Wii U, and early screens of Trap Team didn't show much difference.

Will probably go with PS4, the Dark/Regular decision is tougher.

Does the PS4 version look noticeably better than the Wii U version? I thought Swap-Force already looked pretty great on the Wii U, and early screens of Trap Team didn't show much difference.

Will probably go with PS4, the Dark/Regular decision is tougher.

No idea what Trap Team looks like on Wii U...but I had both Wii U and PS4 versions (ps4 version came out later last year) of Swap Force last year, and to me the difference was very very noticeable...

Man, I'm torn. Do I start on normal or nightmare? I'd like to go with the latter, unless it's a pain in the ass with low levelled characters.

Nevermind: I guess you need to unlock it.

Thanati

Fingers crossed that Beenox manage better ports than their shameful Wii version of Swap Force.

To be fair, they did a great job. Did you see the size of the levels in swap force? To think they managed to get all that into the Wii is pretty astounding!

Kemal86

The little voice calls from the villains via the speaker on the trap portal are great

How amazing is Broccoli Guy?!?

mrsmr2

To be fair, they did a great job. Did you see the size of the levels in swap force? To think they managed to get all that into the Wii is pretty astounding!

My son, who loves these games, was so disappointed with the Wii version, he'd gone back to Giants within 50 minutes of opening the game.

I tried to encourage him to stick with it but he hardly played it over the next few days.

It looked absolutely terrible and sounded rubbish. And then it started freezing - which was a know problem. We swapped it for the 360 version - nice to have an excuse to do so.

I don't know if the levels are any larger than the first two games as I don't play them - but they didn't look that different to me. The levels in Swap Force were absolutely barren, with little scenery in the foreground, no background images/scenery, and even the objects didn't even blend in with the ground - they all had rings around them. Looked like someone had drawn them in Paint and cut and pasted them in.

The Wii version was disgraceful.

The first two weren't that dis-similar, looks wise, to the 360 version of Swap Force - at least on the CRT it's played on here. The third Wii game looked like a 3DS game.

Played through 20 levels of the tower defense Kaos Doom Challenge and I'm liking
Buzzer Beak
as my go-to villain for his
multi-hit spinning area attack

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I was about to hit the send button on an ad to sell my PS4 and then remembered that Skylanders isn't on PC. FML.

Scanna

gonna receive this today or tomorrow, my first skylanders game...any tips for a newcomer?
Just a rapid question: is the portal backwards compatible? I mean, if I manage to buy only the disk of - say - Swap force, will it work with Trap Team portal?

Just a rapid question: is the portal backwards compatible? I mean, if I manage to buy only the disk of - say - Swap force, will it work with Trap Team portal?

Yes, all portals are backwards compatible, Trap Team portal will work with all skylsnders games.

I installed it this morning, but didn't have enough time to play it.

The Xbox One disc installed up to 92%, then the disc stopped being read. I thought it'd continue, but it didn't, and when I heard the disc start up again, it was back below 10%. It restarted the install by itself and then fully installed.

Should I be worried? I assume maybe the patch it was downloading at the same time timed out, or something.

Picked up my best buy preorder of PS4 dark with 20% off gamers unlocked.

Didnt buy any other figures etc though. I loved the concept of swapforce and bought all the swap characters. This release gimmicks/innovations both are a dud as far as I am concerned. I have no interest in traps since they are just temporary summons (and they dont look like any character) and I dont like the concept of huge weapons for most of the trap masters since it de-emphasizes them and their unique abilities. SOME of them look cool like the crypt king, but otherwise there is just something unappealing about the figures you can buy right now to me, they dont look like they add a lot new gameplay styles like many swapforce chars did. The most interesting characters are actually villains, which you never own in figure form (just the traps). I'd like to own a figure for that bird villain, and the pinyata guy.

Apart from my personal dislike for the style, many of the figures do look very impressively made, and look imposing and striking. The masters are bigger than I expected almost like giants. I like the dark versions of the characters, though the lion does look just as cool in its regular color. I think I will be a lot more selective vs swap force, since the build quality, size and visual translucent effect of the weapons are very impressive so I will be looking forward to future waves.

Best Buy had sold out of all consoles copies of the game and didnt have that many figures left. Target had a better selection available, though more traps than figures.

Lijik

Is the buy one trap, get one $1 deal at Toys R Us still going on? I was about to order some off their site, but the deal there is buy one, get one half off. If its instore only Ill swing by later today.

The install on the X-Box One version is taking forever...I've been at 87% for a half hour and been trying to install for the last 90 minutes. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!

Uninstalled and tried again. going much faster now.

UPDATE: Nevermind, still crawls at 85%

When I bought my Xbox One, this drove me crazy. I had owned PS4 since launch, so it was a shock when I had to wait hours for some games to install.

Slermy

Is the buy one trap, get one $1 deal at Toys R Us still going on? I was about to order some off their site, but the deal there is buy one, get one half off. If its instore only Ill swing by later today.

I thought it was all week.

Just got back from TRU. The employee was super helpful and grabbed the boxes out of the back. He didn't know about Wave 2 when I asked, but he radio'd and quickly got answers about the new figures.

I got each of the new traps (no Kaos trap though) and all the new Trap Masters / Skylanders.

One thing to watch out for, my "Fire Screamer" trap has a manufacturing defect. There is what looks like dirt/cruft inside the trap. Obviously there's no way to fix it since it's a solid mold. If you're OCD and annoyed by defects, make sure you double-check your traps!

10356166_10102361533849094_2662429389578011720_n.jpg

10712768_10102361533898994_4904341625997814889_n.jpg

Wave 2 Skylanders. :)

I remember seeing the promo saying it going on until 10/11/14.

Top Bottom