• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders Trap Team |OT|

When I bought my Xbox One, this drove me crazy. I had owned PS4 since launch, so it was a shock when I had to wait hours for some games to install.

Mine reset itself, after getting to 92%. I talked to MS Support, and they said it likely did so to avoid or reset a corrupt install.

It took a while.

RobbieNick

Mine reset itself, after getting to 92%. I talked to MS Support, and they said it likely did so to avoid or reset a corrupt install.

It took a while.

Same here. It's less likely the disc, but the upgrade that you had to download. XB1 is the only console (I know of) that doesn't allow background updates. After this fiasco, I decided never to buy a third party title on XB! as long as my PS4 is working fine.

At least it leaves me right where I left off.

Trap team is interesting in that its actually great value if thats how you want to roll. You can just buy 2 trap packs that gives you the entire range of villains, which is a deliberate choice on their part I think to attract a value oriented buyer. It would have been very easy for them to put a repeat in at least one of these 2 packs.

I picked these triple trap packs up at best buy with my gamer card unlocked for 20% off, I like to buy and pay for it before going to the store to make sure everything is in stock. They only had the single trap packs on display, so perhaps they are trying to force customers who dont know better to pay $3 more. With GCU its $12 per triple, but even at full price of $15 I think this is a great value especially versus disney infinity.

I learned from swap force the unlocked gates really dont contain much of interest versus the main game. I really wouldnt miss if it they removed all the elemental gates from swapforce, except a couple of really nice looking undead areas behind gates. I know they play up the mystery of whats behind there but i dont feel at all obligated to buy elemental characters I dont want for this.

They seem to have priced the other figures to make up the difference by overcharging for the minis and forcing the elemental doors to be the expensive Trap Masters ($15) versus regular skylanders or your own collection. Minis also seem overpriced to me (especially since I own many of them as the promotion awhile back with potato chips).

In practice I found the villain concept worked very well in practice, since not only are there a lot of highly varied villains but the fact they swap instantly makes it much more enjoyable to swap regularly. In prior games, if you swapped your main skylander there was a delay of a few seconds while you replaced the figures, the game recognized the figure and took a while before it appeared in game (since the game has to load the assets for the figure as there isnt enough memory to store every single character in memory). That few seconds actually breaks the flow substantially in the prior games, and made it so I didnt swap my figures much except where required.

The sounds coming from the trap are not so welcome however. I like to play the PS4 game with headphones, so speaking out loud from the trap annoyed my wife a lot especially since many of the villains say childish phrases that are fun for kids but annoying for adults not into these games.

Graphics wise on PS4, its a big downgrade from swap force especially in terms of environment detail and things like foliage. OTOH the gameplay itself feels more melee combat focused and it looks like a lot of the figures have the combo moves, so it plays quite differently. An upside of this is it keeps swapforce viable since I will enjoy going back to it and finishing levels I havent done due to the big graphical upgrade (I think the game is gorgeous environment wise, one of the best of any game regardless of whether its a figure based game).

Lijik

Just wanted to follow up and confirm the buy 1 trap, get one for 1% sale is still happening instore at Toys R Us. Not sure why it wouldnt work on the site when I tried it.

I tend to like the content behind the gates. In the 3DS versions especially the best platforming is locked behind them, and most of the console swap minigames were fun.

Ertai

DutchGAF:

There's a trade in happening when you purchase the new Trap Team. You get a €10,- discount if you trade in your old portal. Some stores are offering the starter pack for €59,-. With the trade in of your old portal you can pick up the starter pack for €49,-. Not a bad deal i'd say!

Karak

I didn't know that I needed him in my life until now. My son and I crack up when he starts talking.

Agreed but the walrus dude with the hook who yells "Who needs a huuuuuuuuuuuuug?" Totally cracks me up. First Skylanders game I have owner personally and reviewed. I adore it. Sincerely surprised.

DJ_Lae

I learned from swap force the unlocked gates really dont contain much of interest versus the main game. I really wouldnt miss if it they removed all the elemental gates from swapforce, except a couple of really nice looking undead areas behind gates. I know they play up the mystery of whats behind there but i dont feel at all obligated to buy elemental characters I dont want for this.

That's been the one paywall thing that has really annoyed me with this game.

With the first game, you really only needed one Skylander of each element to get the full experience. With Giants, one giant was sufficient on top of your existing one of each element. With Swap-Force...well, I guess one of each base type worked, as you could open the dual-element gates in two player mode quite easily.

With this game, you all of a sudden need one $17 character for each element, which is ridiculous. In contrast, the trap stuff seems downright reasonable. I get that they wanted to push the trap masters, but man.

Game is fun otherwise, My daughter has been really enjoying it so far and is pretty understanding about not being able to open gates when they were all possible in previous games.

I am finding this game to be great value for money, given that I feel no obligation to buy trap masters except the ones I want because they are cool vs needing to unlock things.

so far, the gates I have unlocked with my 3 trap masters have all had very minor content environment wise behind them, often just a single big "room" just there to give you the item, usually a hat. They dont have completely new type of gameplay content like the swapforce movetypes did (flying, stealth etc) So I really dont care about buying other elemental TM skylanders since to me the fun of the game is exploring the environments and playing as cool characters. Since you can only wear 1 hat at a time, and they always escalate hat stats bonuses higher and higher as you progress, it really doesnt both me to not buy any more elemental types. I WILL buy some since some upcoming TM's look great, but most of the wave 1 and 2 TM's I will skip since they dont look great to me for the money (and being big is a negative, I have way too many toys already from prior skylanders and disney. this is another nice thing about traps being small).

when it comes to playing cool characters, I LOVE the villain concept and its fantastic value for money. You just buy 2 triple packs at $15 each so $30 regular, or $12 and $24 if you have the GCU card. You can then play 50 villains, and only need to buy more traps if you want more than 1 at a time per level since you can just freely swap them around at the homebase.

These villains are a blast to play as since they are all so different in looks, attack types and I love that they each even have their own theme music. To me it removes the pressure of buying a lot of new figures to experience new character types/movesets since I get to play with 50 or so, At 6 villains per trap, I am effectively paying $4 per set of 6, so 67 cents per villain (a little more if you dont have the 20% GCU)

instead of buying up a whole load of new TM's and skylanders, I get the variety of new playstyles using the villains and am only buying figures that look cool and fun to play. in addition these villains doing high damage helps to alleviate the issue of older skylanders doing so little damage and hence reducing the number.

although there is the damage issue for prior skylanders, its still fun seeing them since they look different with the different graphics engine, and they each "sing" with their own voice acting for the rap feature. I had fun with this with a few of my favorites, and I think kids could love it and want to do so for their entire collection.

I also prefer the minigame types than prior games since skystones is fun and I prefer it to giants version, and I like the new lock puzzles vs the prior rotate technique it used.

environment wise, outdoor areas are a big stepdown from swapforce on the PS4 with much lower detail (eg amount and draw distance of foliage). However, the interior areas look fantastic, so I am ok with this since I will enjoy going back and playing swapforce again (which will feel new again after spending a lot of time with trap team)

so all in all, I am very happy with this game and think that the developer tfb made sure that people could have a great time without spending a lot of money (especially if they have prior skylanders) since the majority of content can be experienced with just the traps purchase. and for me even though I could afford to buy all the trap masters, I just dont want to take up the shelf space for any except must haves.

bumpkin

Last night I went to peruse the selection of figures/traps at Best Buy. I decided that even though I don't plan to get the game right away -- it's on my Christmas wish list -- I have a sinking feeling I won't be able to find accessories easily after the holiday. That said, I ended up picking up two regular figures (Chopper and Funny Bone), one Trap Master (Krypt King) and a three-pack of traps.

Woops..i totally blanked an entirely forgot to post after making this thread lol.

I decided I'd hold off on purchasing the game until Black Friday, although Smash Wii U's release date dropping with Pokemon ORAS put a dent in those plans...I'd really hate to dump so much money on games at one time. I'll have to keep an eye out on what the price may be on BF.

I DID however figure that there's a few things I should grab. #1 was Nitro Krypt King; Target usually doesn't get a ton more of the stock in for their variants (unlike TRU which has plenty of stock for the Legendaries all throughout the game's lifespan) so I was happy I was able to grab one of them.

I was also figuring I should hunt a Kaos Trap down, and maybe the Target Preorder one if I could. I was pretty surprised to actually find their Outlaw Brawl and Chain trap today...my Target actually had a ton of them.

Once I have some time here, I'll update the OP for the next wave, which I believe is coming out on the 12th.

Dragoshi1

Not every Best Buy, only a small selection of 'em.

Call ahead before heading out to badger nearby Best Buys.

Also, picked up the Target exclusive Brawl and Chain Trap, and got the Trap Box, Bushwhack, and 2 Traps at TRU, taking advantage of the deals before they go away.

The Trap Box is really nice, had to turn Kaos Trap a bit to fit it, as it doesn't fit facing forward in the bottom right corner of the box.

Also, picked up the Target exclusive Brawl and Chain Trap, and got the Trap Box, Bushwhack, and 2 Traps at TRU, taking advantage of the deals before they go away.

What is the difference between this trap and the normal water log holder trap? I know it already come with a villan trapped in, but could you catch this villan with other traps?

I played through this in two days, to get something up about it.

It drags on like some of the other Skylanders games, but it's the best one I've played thus far. I've yet to play Giants, though.

Being able to play as the villains is cool, adds variety and lets you hide low-health Skylanders.

Typical twist, though

Concept17

Debating on this for my kids this christmas. After picking up Lego Marvel and seeing how much they enjoy the open world aspect, and their love for Minecraft, I'm not sure they'll like it as much. They have the previous games, but once they beat the last one, they kind of lost interest.

It's either this, LBP3, or Infinity. Infinity is unlikely though as just the Anna/Elsa pack is like 30$.

Ecto311

Did the trap not work for anyone else till recent? I was playing with my daughter and we have been playing since monday. Then the trap just last night started speaking to us when we were doing stuff in the game. Never heard it before and not sure what changed for that to happen.

I just started Giants, which I've had since 2012 but had yet to open. It's pretty good so far.

It's surprising how much things can change in two years, though, because the visual difference between Giants and Trap Team is night and day.

Lijik

I just started Giants, which I've had since 2012 but had yet to open. It's pretty good so far.

It's surprising how much things can change in two years, though, because the visual difference between Giants and Trap Team is night and day.

I just finished playing through it for the first time a few days ago. It kind of drags a little bit in the second half but its still a pretty fun game! Everyone always seems down on it when they talk about it, but I enjoyed it.

I just finished playing through it for the first time a few days ago. It kind of drags a little bit in the second half but its still a pretty fun game! Everyone always seems down on it when they talk about it, but I enjoyed it.

I like Giants quite a bit...but jumping, imo, improves this game so much...not too mention the enormous leap in graphics...

Ecto311

Anyone found a box for the traps to store them that is decent? Was thinking about using the holder that comes with it and fitting it in a bit bigger box with a lid.

I like Giants quite a bit...but jumping, imo, improves this game so much...not too mention the enormous leap in graphics...

Yeah, it was weird to start Giants and not be able to jump. I just played Trap Team, of course.

The controls are also mapped differently (A is attack, I think), which threw me off.

RobbieNick

Anyone found a box for the traps to store them that is decent? Was thinking about using the holder that comes with it and fitting it in a bit bigger box with a lid.

There's a nice one at TrU. I think it's based off the one in the early trailer.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=43893446&cp=&parentPage=search

I think this is the one.

BTW, I got the Nightmare train with Blade and noticed there was a trappable villain in that set. So some villains are hidden behind those levels too? Great.

jonno394

Hey. Never played a skylanders game before but looking to buy one for the ps4. Would you recommend trap team or swap force?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hey. Never played a skylanders game before but looking to buy one for the ps4. Would you recommend trap team or swap force?

Definitely start with Swap Force. It's $29.99 on Amazon and at Fry's right now. Probably some other places, too.
If you like it, then go from there.

Oh hey, I guess I should post the sales stuff over in this thread each week too.

-Kmart is offering a buy one, get one free on all Giants and Swap Force figures.

-TRU is doing a promo where if you buy the Trap Team starter pack, you get a free figure (Swap Force, Giants, SSA, but not TT proper). Traps are also 99 cents when you purchase a Trap Team figure.

Lan_97

I've slowly been working my way through this game, trying to fit it in between sessions of Destiny. Just a few notes so far on the game and the series overall.

- Everything is overpriced, but this started happening in Giants when they dropped the 7.99 price tag per core figure.
- The trap mechanic is fun and adds a lot of variety and additional tangibility to the game
- Despite elemental trap gates being a money grab, there are some surprisingly value-minded choices made: trap packs covering elements not in the starter, all villains playable with one trap of each element, old sidekicks playable as full 'minis' (though this may just have been a way to leverage existing production to fill out the roster)
- I miss the increased configurability of swap characters (two paths per part and swapping)
- Trap masters are pretty much giants without lights. That being said, some of the figures look really nice (jawbreaker, wallop)

Overall the game is fun, and I can only hope they carry the trap mechanic to future games. Though, the series needs to evolve. It can only survive so long on a new gimmick each year. The core game really needs to expand and provide more depth to the experience, there's a huge potential here for the game to become something players keep coming back to with old figures and new..

DJ_Lae

All the traps seem to be hard to find here. I haven't seen a single store that carries them and Amazon resellers have them up for $40 a pack. My only planned purchase for the game is a trap of each element so I'm hoping they aren't sold out for too long.

Ecto311

All the traps seem to be hard to find here. I haven't seen a single store that carries them and Amazon resellers have them up for $40 a pack. My only planned purchase for the game is a trap of each element so I'm hoping they aren't sold out for too long.

Really? Walmart here and the other stores like target, toysrus and hastings all have tons of traps but no kaos ones.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The Kaos trap is out now, but hard to find. Just give it time.

Give it time? Isn't it limited?
Current price is insane, though. It's more than the difference between the regular and dark edition starter packs.

Subxero

I got a Kaos trap at Tru. They had a ton of them. I think it exclusive to them for a limited time.

While I like TrapTeam I have to say SwapForce is my favorite. SwapForce had content for Giants too. I was really disappointed that so far TrapTeam doesn't incorporate the Swap figures or Giants. I have both on PS4 and TrapTeam seems like a step backwards all around even in visuals.

DJ_Lae

Really? Walmart here and the other stores like target, toysrus and hastings all have tons of traps but no kaos ones.

Could just be a Canadian thing, I dunno. Future Shop and Best Buy don't even currently have listings for the traps online and stores seem pretty barren. Target has almost nothing as well as Walmarts nearby.

Though it actually seems like Toys R Us has some online. Guess the Canadian retail really is $17 a pack...or else it's the Toys R Us tax. Either way I'll pay it. The core game itself only cost me $35 courtesy of Amazon glitch.

kr2t0s

I bought my Kaos trap on the day the game came out. Picked it up at TRU.

Around me - all the target, best buy, toys r us have traps.

Gonna wait for Black Friday. Every year the starter bundles go on sale for 40$. Decided to pass on amiibos since they seem more of a collectors item.

Kemal86

The game engine used for Spyro's Adventure and Giants was developed when the game was still intended to be a Wii-exclusive game. That's why it looked kind of crappy even when it was first released. The Swap Force and Trap Team game engine targeted currentgen/nextgen from the start.

For those that play Skylanders Lost Islands on mobile, its been updated to accept Trap Team figures into the game. :)

Works with both the older Bluetooth portal and the newer Tablet Start Pack Bluetooth portal. Was able to transfer in most of the currently available Skylanders except for a few (Nitro, Dark, Legendary variants). There's also traps in the game now too, however, not sure if the physical traps/villians are able to be transferred over or just captured in-game separately.

Slermy

For those looking for Kaos traps, keep hope. A friend of mine's Target received a shipment of them just a day or two ago at Target.

Slermy

Ugh, that's unfortunate.

I can't really say I'm a fan of the new portal in general. Plus, my Giant's don't fit in packaging on it.

Top Bottom