• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim Collector's Edition Unveiled by Bethesda

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Reluctant-Hero said:
Seriously. Whatever the fuck happened to $70 to $80 LEs that had a steelbook case, making of DVD and either a small artbook or OST selection CD?!

Those are the only CE's I've ever purchased... the other stuff is a turn off. Don't mind the larger artbook, but I'd rather have a steelbook case.

Enco

Exuro said:
It's going to be Steamworks. Fallout New Vegas also had "Games for Windows" on their box. You're thinking of Games for Windows Live
To confirm, buying the game at retail won't have any stupid GFWL integration or any other platform tied?

I love how the elder scrolls games are completely drm free and easy to install (oblivion at least).

Patapwn

Mama Robotnik said:
Considering all the hours I've put into Minecraft, I'm expecting big things from this. Hopefully Mojang can live up to my expectations.

Maybe Bethesda lawyers can call them up and put a stop to this overpriced CE. Notch knows better than this BS!

PaulLFC said:
KuGsj.gif

No Bethesda. Just... no.

$149.99 = £91.67, + 20% VAT = £109.99. It's expensive enough as it is, yet they want £20 more? Not a chance.
$149.99 = €105.
€149.99= $210

Fuck that noise. Bethesda, sell this for €99 and I'm your man.

Zafir

Bah. There goes my hopes of a nicely priced CE with nice extras.

Don't get me wrong, The Dragon statue looks kinda cool. But it definitely isn't £130 cool. I wouldn't pay anymore than £70 for that CE.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
I was cool with paying over $100 for the Witcher 2 CE cuz that thing was jam packed. But this? lol nice trollin'.

Enco said:
To confirm, buying the game at retail won't have any stupid GFWL integration or any other platform tied?

I love how the elder scrolls games are completely drm free and easy to install (oblivion at least).

PC wise it will be a Steamworks game which means you have to register it via Steam.

Exuro

Enco said:

Well it's not "completely confirmed" but all of bethesda's latest published titles have used Steamworks. It would surprising for them to switch from that to GFWL.

Zafir

Nezabyte said:
I was cool with paying over $100 for the Witcher 2 CE cuz that thing was jam packed. But this? lol nice trollin'.
Yeah. I got the Witcher 2 CE for £65, and that had far more stuff in it than this £130 one seems to have!

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
One would think that the state of the economy would encourage developers to cut costs and not release costly and frivolous "collectors editions".

But hey, what do I know.

Luigi87

Blue Ninja said:
$149.99 = €105.
€149.99= $210

Fuck that noise. Bethesda, sell this for €99 and I'm your man.

Clearly they're viewing it as rather than screwing over Europeans, they're giving Americans a great deal!

Birbo

dark10x said:
I really wish companies would create special editions that focus more on high quality packaging that actually fits in ones collection. This giant, cheap looking boxes full of plastic holding a statue and other useless shit just doesn't appeal. Give me something compact, but of high quality.

Agreed. Still pissed I paid extra for the Oblivion SE that was just cardboard.

Zeliard

Live Free or Die said:
come on guys, there is a effing DRAGON statue! dont hate.
Why would I want statuette of something I'm going to be making my bitch throughout the game? Maybe if that dragon had a sword running through its neck.

spirity

Not interested in statues, or plastic dolls, or upskirt big daddies, or any of that CE jazz. Just a steelbook.

Actually, looking at the statue again, it does look pretty awesome to be fair. Still, nah.

UberTag

Not expensive enough.
Next Collector's Edition should have a 4' statue and retail for $299.
And while we're bundling superfluous crap nobody needs, it should include the Tony Hawk Ride skateboard as a bonus.

I'll take just the game for 1/3 of the price. Thanks!

Incidentally, I'd pay $10 above standard for a steelbook and $20 above standard for a steelbook, decent manual and one of either an artbook/soundtrack CD.
I would do this ALL THE TIME.

We don't want statues or cat helmets or any of this other garbage.

richiek said:
One would think that the state of the economy would encourage developers to cut costs and not release costly and frivolous "collectors editions".

But hey, what do I know.
Why should it? Gaming has always been a "premium" hobby - not something for the budget-conscious. Should publishers be a bit more considerate of the exonomic times? Sure, but why would they, when people spend half their paychecks for 5 hours of campaign?

Granted, that "5 hours" doesn't apply to Skyrim. Yes, I'm going to buy this CE because I'm a brainless consumer.

Mikeside

Stumpokapow said:
After Minecraft was so successful I didn't think they'd go retail with their next release.

hahaha, thank you - this made me feel better about how terrible this collector's edition is compared to Morrowind and Oblivion's ones

Xamdou

They should have added the game soundtrack and some C.E exclusive in-game items. Without these it's hard to call it a collector's edition.

Grinchy

Banned
I remember buying the Resistance 2 CE for $80. I now know that I should never again waste money on a CE because I don't care about any of the crap they come with. I can't believe there is a market for people willing to pay $150. I'm sure we'll see pictures of this CE all over the pick-ups thread.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, this is what I have been waiting for. It is definitely nice, but no way in hell am I forking over $150.00. Oh well, at least now I know. Time to go ahead and pre-order the regular edition.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I blame Call of Duty with night vision goggles for this. But... when you have a shot at getting $150 from a bunch of suckers for a game... you do it.

basefree

What ever happened to value in CEs? I remember buying the Bioshock collectors edition, came with a big daddy statue, making-of DVD, and a soundtrack, for about £50. Fuck £130, that's extortionate. Sadly, there will be idiots who will buy it anyway, and then publishers will think it's "OK" to set those price points onwards.

Wallach

diffusionx said:
Call of Duty with night vision goggles happened. When you have a shot at getting $150 from a bunch of suckers for a game... you do it.

I'm so glad you edited and fixed this post, LOL.

On the plus side, I've got an idea for an OT tag now...

Skyrim |OT| Home of the overpriced Dragon statue
Skyrim |OT| Dragon statue? Say it ain't so!
Skyrim |OT| Clearance sale on dragon statues

The list goes on and on and on.

CaLe

Looks great, but I'm not a fan of statues unfortunately, not enough room in my apartment...

Is it me or are these collector editions getting more and more expensive ?

Evolved1

Xamdou said:
They should have added the game soundtrack and some C.E exclusive in-game items. Without these it's hard to call it a collector's edition.

Oh god no... just stop right there. Other stuff is fine, but not this. (unless it's just the shit they were planning to DLC from the beginning anyway)

Xamdou said:

This, shockingly devoid collectors edition (especially for the price tag)

Evolved1 said:
Oh god no... just stop right there. Other stuff is fine, but not this. (unless it's just the shit they were planning to DLC from the beginning anyway)

They have to give people a reason to drop mega bucks on a game, extra content is usually a standard way, most of the time they release the bonus stuff later for everyone else to buy, even if it is way down the line when people no longer care.

ironcreed

Banned
diffusionx said:
I blame Call of Duty with night vision goggles for this. But... when you have a shot at getting $150 from a bunch of suckers for a game... you do it.

Ah, the night vision goggles, lol. I remember picturing guys sitting in their living room playing the game with those on their head. Quite an amusing thought indeed. Anyway, I was going to make an exception for Skyrim, but all this announcement did is remind me why I never buy collector's editions to begin with. Just give me the damn game.

watership

The map is obviously there, but the press release doesn't say anything about a map. Hmm.

See the way to sell this game is : "Includes CLOTH MAP" Bought.

Evolved1

UberTag said:
Not expensive enough.
Next Collector's Edition should have a 4' statue and retail for $299.
And while we're bundling superfluous crap nobody needs, it should include the Tony Hawk Ride skateboard as a bonus.

I'll take just the game for 1/3 of the price. Thanks!

Incidentally, I'd pay $10 above standard for a steelbook and $20 above standard for a steelbook, decent manual and one of either an artbook/soundtrack CD.
I would do this ALL THE TIME.

We don't want statues or cat helmets or any of this other garbage.

I have to agree... I'll always drop an extra $10 for the steelbook. I love them for some reason.

watership said:
The map is obviously there, but the press release doesn't say anything about a map. Hmm.

See the way to sell this game is : "Includes CLOTH MAP" Bought.
The map is the pre-order bonus for all editions. GAF search sucks but there was a thread about it.

Top Bottom