• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim coming to PSVR November 2017

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Right? Where the fuck is this on PC?

I'd say we can safely infer from the game skipping Bethesda's own presentation only to be announced during Sony's and there being zero mention of other VR platforms on the official site that there's a temporary exclusivity contract in play.

giphy.gif

SpecX

Lord have mercy. I've bought this game so many times now and now I have yet another reason to buy it and start again.

It might be too early, but is it possible to use your save from the standard edition?

They cared enough to "watch" the video.

Fuck the haters.

I've been wanting Skyrim in VR for fucking years and the only way you could get it was through a bunch of mods on PC with a vive and even then apparently the 3D doesn't look right as Skyrim was never designed with VR in mind, but now Sony has basically said "Hey, you know that PSVR you haven't been using much, do you want Skyrim in it's entirety on it with full PS Move support?" and my answer to that is holy fuck yes please.

I don't care how much others whine, if you don't like it then don't buy it it's as simple as that.

Now this I can get behind (only played the first 2 hours on the 360) and always intended to deep dive into this game at some point.

Fallout 4 VR on the other hand - fuck that noise. Played the xbone version for 108 hours and have zero desire to jump back into that world.

ranmafan

I've been wanting Skyrim in VR for fucking years and the only way you could get it was through a bunch of mods on PC with a vive and even then apparently the 3D doesn't look right as Skyrim was never designed with VR in mind, but now Sony has basically said "Hey, you know that PSVR you haven't been using much, do you want Skyrim in it's entirety on it with full PS Move support?" and my answer to that is holy fuck yes please.

I don't care how much others whine, if you don't like it then don't buy it it's as simple as that.

Well said. Skyrim is the type of game I've dreamed of playing in VR. That fantasy setting where we can travel through dungeons and open lands and castles is the experience I wanted the most. Didn't think it would happen, and was really surprised by today's announcement that it will. To be able to enter that world in vr is a dream come true. I really don't get the hate many people have for this. But I don't care. This will almost certainly be my most anticipated game this fall, and that's from someone that's aleady put like 150 hours on the game back on the PS3. I can't wait for November!

BigEmil

On one hand, this is pretty cool.

On the other, vanilla Skyrim is really really bad compared to what you can mod it into. I don't think VR is going to alleviate those problems.

Still, I'll keep my eye on it, maybe they'll allow some mods?
Nah Special Edition Remastered Skyrim is pretty good, especially compared to the OG vanilla

Right, but how if both hands are moving freely. As of now the move navigation controllers don't work so I'm just trying to figure out how.
It would be weird as hell to hold a dualshock and one move controller.

I was just going to post this!
I'm guessing 2 things.
1. You gotta hold the dualshock with one of your hands and a move with the other. Weird but feasible.
2. There's some weird controls where you have a button to move forward, another to move backwards and another to jump. Your headset will act as your camera. Even weirder but it could work.

Otherwise, there's gotta be some Move 2.0 with analog sticks being in the works right now.

How the hype levels aren't through the roof for this is beyond me. Having one of the best open-world RPGs of all time fully playable in VR is insane.

Nydius

I wonder if they're going to do much to the way characters move in the game. The floaty movement was damn near nausea inducing on higher end PC settings with high frame rates, I don't think I'd want to experience the same floaty movement in VR.

If RE7 gave people VR motion sickness, I imagine Skyrim will as well.

Skyrim is the game I always wanted in vr back when oculus was just a pie in the sky kickstarter, but now that I actually own vd, I've realized it's just not that conducive for me to the kind of long play sessions a game like Skyrim requires. It's hard to describe it but vr, at least in its current form, is a lot more claustrophobic and exhausting than I imagined.

Luigiv

I honestly haven't played the Remastered version, but what does it add? My main problems with Skyrim are the lack of gameplay depth more than the graphics.

Nothing on the gameplay front as far as I can tell. Mind I haven't spent more than a couple of hours with either version so I'm no expert.

jrcbandit

They need to add Aim support. I need my machine gun bow. But in reality, Sony VR controls suck because they insisted on going with the original Move instead of a Move 2.0 with analog control, just to save some $ since they had so many Move controllers collecting dust ;p.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I always wanted this but thought it wouldn't be done! I'm in! I'm glad that I bought the Xbox One version instead of the PS4 version cause now I don't feel too bad about it being a standalone title.

My gosh that like/dislike ratio!

Judging from the YT comments, people REALLY wanted ES6 at E3.

Flandy

People are acting like this is just another port to another system. Skyrim VR is pretty much a dream game as far as I am concerned.

Maybe these people don't actually own VR headsets? Or maybe it's just Neogaf negativity which has become insufferable as of late. Its led me to actually stop reading about videogames and start playing them more, so I guess I should the thankful.

Well said. Skyrim is the type of game I've dreamed of playing in VR. That fantasy setting where we can travel through dungeons and open lands and castles is the experience I wanted the most. Didn't think it would happen, and was really surprised by today's announcement that it will. To be able to enter that world in vr is a dream come true. I really don't get the hate many people have for this. But I don't care. This will almost certainly be my most anticipated game this fall, and that's from someone that's aleady put like 150 hours on the game back on the PS3. I can't wait for November!

Same here
I've constantly been saying to myself since the Fallout 4 VR announcement that I'd much rather have Skyrim VR and I'm finally getting my wish. I didn't think this would happen so I'm beyond thrilled. A game like this in VR is a "year of dreams" tier level announcement to me

Judging from the YT comments, people REALLY wanted ES6 at E3.

They're fools to expect that so quickly after Fallout 4 lol

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I'd say we can safely infer from the game skipping Bethesda's own presentation only to be announced during Sony's and there being zero mention of other VR platforms on the official site that there's a temporary exclusivity contract in play.

Stuff like this makes me wish other companies would screw Sony over.

gstaff

Can we just create a "if it has a CPU, Skyrim is coming to it" thread and be done with it.

We're not going to stop until there's a top screen version on the seat back of a plane. I kid.

I've had limited time so far checking out Skyrim VR at our office, but I can tell you that dual casting spells is a ton of fun because of the way you can move your hands and point to the directions you want to cast.

Personally, I've been holding off on PSVR for awhile, but now that my kids are past the stage of crawling, I think I'll probably pick it up soon. I still have RE7 in shrink wrap because I've wanted to play in VR first.

Flandy

We're not going to stop until there's a top screen version on the seat back of a plane. I kid.

I've had limited time so far checking out Skyrim VR at our office, but I can tell you that dual casting spells is a ton of fun because of the way you can move your hands and point to the directions you want to cast.

Personally, I've been holding off on PSVR for awhile, but now that my kids are past the stage of crawling, I think I'll probably pick it up soon. I still have RE7 in shrink wrap because I've wanted to play in VR first.

How do you control it? Is a dualshock 4 in one hand and a move in the other?

I don't suppose you could tell us if there's a PC version and if there is if it will release at the same time?

ranmafan

Same here
I've constantly been saying to myself since the Fallout 4 VR announcement that I'd much rather have Skyrim VR and I'm finally getting my wish. I didn't think this would happen so I'm beyond thrilled. A game like this in VR is a "year of dreams" tier level announcement to me

For me it's more than "year of dreams" level. It's almost like impossible childhood wish come true level. While I was bummed about the lack of fallout 4 on psvr, I always would've wanted Skyrim more as well. Playing through a fantasy realm is so much more appealing than walking through the horrors of the results of nuclear apocalypse in vr in my opinion. So when it got announced I was so happy and excited. I mean already this year I've experienced the horrors of resident evil face to face, space combat that was as real as it could get, piloted the Enterprise, and be Batman all thanks to vr. And now I get to top it off with the fantasy awesomeness of Skyrim! That's just unbelievable.

It is a shame lots of people are complaining and i can understand how they want the next elder scrolls. But honestly I'll take Skyrim vr over that easily right now. I can wait longer for the next elders scrolls. Just give me Skyrim vr and I'll be very happy. I love that game and can't wait to play in vr.

ffvorax

Already played 180+ hours on skyrim PS3...

But VR? Can be intriguing! Still I usually don't play/buy again games, I prefer to buy new experiences. I will see if nothing interesting will be out and when is cheaper.... but i definetly like the idea to play skyrim in vr!

majik13

Well wish this were a better game, but glad its happening. Have no desire to play it though.

But yeah curious how they will do locomotion, have they clarified that yet?

Im guessing its just a DS4 in the other hand.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

KaiserBecks

That's amazing! Bought Skyrim (PC) Day 1 but somehow never really made it past the first main quest. Now I get to explore the game in VR. I don't mind the graphics as long as the overall game isn't toned down in terms of gameplay.

For trueVR blast aircon at 0 degrees celsius while playing.
You kid but just for shits and giggles, I did a RE7 playthrough on Madhouse difficulty with that RE7 candle (it was basically rot, mold and smoke scented) burning, headphones on and a fan blowing and the sensory experience was crazy. Overwhelming to the point where I stopped after two hours and never used that candle or the fan during gameplay again.

Eventually I tossed the candle considering it didn't have much use outside of atmospheric enhancement and making my apartment smell like a morgue.

Dash_

Yeah, I know Skyrim has a lot of jank and the gameplay is unbalanced, but an openworld experience is pretty much my dream VR game. VR can often have a transformative effect on exploration.

Can't wait personally.

The most troubling thing is if they've solved the stutters and the crashes in gamebyro or not. Something they haven't done since it's inception.

Those could really hurt the experience.

Yup.

Yeah.

Top Bottom