• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim E3 Information Recap Thread [Update: Romances~~~~]

Lakitu said:
I wonder if there will be prostitution and brothels? I've been watching too much Game of Thrones.
We get a lesbian sex scene during which Esbern explains how the Blades came to be, how he's not going to fight the Dragons, but fuck them instead.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
WanderingWind said:
Oh joy.

Maybe they'll have some scripted events revolving around a couple of characters so that the options aren't just between NPC 456 and NPC 466 (of for you deviants out there, NPC 355). Like, saving some fair maiden from a dragon attack or whatever and you have to, like decide to help rebuild her farm house or something.

I don't know. I'm really trying to think of a way this won't be bad. I think I'm stumped because romance in video games is almost always (I can't think of one off the top of my head that isn't) terrible.

it's interested if they allow NPCs to have sex so players could watch
and post their favourite clip on youtube through in-game editor!

Lakitu

st5fu
Blue Ninja said:
We get a lesbian sex scene during which Esbern explains how the Blades came to be.

That would be swell.

Damn, now I want to create my very own version of Tyrion. He would run away from all the dragons and visit every brothel in every town.

DanielJr82

This game simply looks AMAZING!! I think the music really does it in those trailers, loving the screenshots, huge open world... ahhhh... getting too hyped here. November is still such a long way ahead. =(

UrbanRats

Fimbulvetr said:
Or they could just be a bunch of side characters.

Not necessarily a major part of the story, but more notable than generic NPCs.
My bet, too.
If you think about how they handled housing in Oblivion, you can buy one specific house in each city; not all of them like in Fable, but not only one story related like in Bloodmoon, either.
I think they'll do romance the same way, 'cause they don't want to force the main plot on you, but they can't let you go with any npc around.

Oh good, I read the OP and worried I wouldn't make it in time for Snuggler to post a picture of a dragon's arsehole

Also, this game looks sick. The interface and presentation just look leaps and bounds better than Fallout. Kudos Bethesda

Gravijah

Green Scar said:
Oh good, I read the OP and worried I wouldn't make it in time for Snuggler to post a dragon's arsehole

Also, this game looks sick. The interface and presentation just look leaps and bounds better than Fallout. Kudos Bethesda

One of the handful of games that I will actually buy this year. I will get my moneys worth.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Green Scar said:
Oh good, I read the OP and worried I wouldn't make it in time for Snuggler to post a picture of a dragon's arsehole

Would you like me to? I could just link you to my cloud storage site since I have a few gigs of good stuff you could sift through.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
I'm surprised it's taken Bethesda this long to try optional romances.

Edit: Seems I was mistaken. They did in Morrowind, I guess.

Now on to figuring out a way to convince human and nord women that my creepy albino lizard man thats always cloaked and crouching in the shadows is relationship material.

At the very least, I imagine he could land a particularly desperate Orc pushing 40.

Aaron

The romance quest line was one of the best quest lines in Morrowind. Some well written stuff. Strange they never tried doing that again.

Wanace

Aaron said:
The romance quest line was one of the best quest lines in Morrowind. Some well written stuff. Strange they never tried doing that again.

Yep, I was just thinking about that. It was very well done, and if developed more could certainly add some immersion to the game.

bengraven

Any type of story that gives your voice-less character some sort of emotional anchor in the world is very fine by me. This is why I like romances in games and why I like having great companion characters to talk to. Sounds like both might be in Skyrim and I approve.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
If nothing else, it'll be a new way for them to get players infected with diseases.

You can dodge the sickening reach of vermin, vampires and zombies but that rash you picked up last night will last forever, Dragonborn.

wit3tyg3r

Dr. Chaos said:
You can dodge the sickening reach of vermin, vampires and zombies but that rash you picked up last night will last forever, Dragonborn.

Unless he/she is an argonian...in which case they would be immune to all diseases!!

GhaleonEB

WanderingWind said:
Romance? In TES?

...not sure if this is a great idea or a completely useless one. I mean, I have never given a crap about any of the characters in TES, short of a couple of funny one-offs and whatnot, but if this is like Fable in any way, shape or form, I'll be very disappointed in Bethesda.

But, it could also add something to the game. Who knows.
Well, there was that part in Fable II where I wooed the town's most hard to get stuck up bitch, married her, and then led her to the wheel of pain where she was executed via impalement on a wall of spikes.

That sort of thing goes a long ways with me.

Nocebo

Aaron said:
Hey, don't knock it. Best merchant in the game.
Speaking of merchants I hope they still have a bartering system and have made it more interesting. Any word on if bartering related skills/perks are in?

Fjordson

Blue Ninja said:
Skyrim |OT|: Plough 'Em All, Even the Lizards
Just saw this :lol

Don't really know what to think about the romance feature. Likes others have said, that sort of thing can either turn out really interesting, or be utterly pointless.

Nocebo

Fjordson said:
Just saw this :lol

Don't really know what to think about the romance feature. Likes others have said, that sort of thing can either turn out really interesting, or be utterly pointless.
Interesting or pointless... being part of the PC master race I can already see the potential for mods.

Here's an interview with Bethesda's Ashley Cheng. He talks about hotkeying, potions (including fortify strength effects), dragons, and hand-to-hand combat. Those that still thought they wouldn't be able to punch a dragon in the chin, think again.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Marrshu said:
Nope. New engine.

I think it's just a modified or upgraded version of Embyro, but that's all we know so far.

They're certainly not working from scratch, that's for sure.

Nocebo

Blue Ninja said:
Here's an interview with Bethesda's Ashley Cheng. He talks about hotkeying, potions (including fortify strength effects), dragons, and hand-to-hand combat. Those that still thought they wouldn't be able to punch a dragon in the chin, think again.
Are they really referring to hand to hand combat or just melee, though? It seemed rather vague. I'd be disappointed if hand combat was out, because punching things to is a source of endless enjoyment for me :p and others:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBbm8sV6IKk

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
But can we have a bromance? Too soon?

Also that chick called the combat clunky.

Nocebo said:
Are they really referring to hand to hand combat or just melee, though? It seemed rather vague. I'd be disappointed if hand combat was out, because punching things to is a source of endless enjoyment for me :p and others:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBbm8sV6IKk
I think the interviewer was referring to melee combat, but Cheng stated "You can play a hand-to-hand monk-type character if you want to" near the end.

Nocebo

Good, because I'd feel silly if I named my character sir PunchFist McPunchALot and not be able to knock people around with my bare hands.

Crazetex

I would like to watch that interview with Cheng, but I really cannot stand its horrible flow. It pains me to listen. :<

At least that Todd Howard/Notch "interview" was really cool.

I really hope there are Sea Serpents/Lake Monsters.

sea-serpent-attack_67451_1.jpg

wit3tyg3r

herzogzwei1989 said:
I'll ask again, any idea when footage of the PC version will be released? I'm dying to see Skyrim in 60 FPS glory ^__^

I don't think PC footage will be shown until the game releases. Bethesda seems to have taken console development more seriously than PC development now, so they are naturally going to only show console footage. I think Todd even mentioned that they no longer will be focusing on PC gaming. It's become a secondary platform for them. You can even tell that Howard wasn't lying when he said that. The UI is completely designed for controllers. I am definitely going to buy Skyrim for PC, but I may most likely be playing it with my 360 controller if the UI is too console-centered.

Carcetti

I can definitely see how romance would work very well in a Bethesda RPG.

In an exploration based game like Morrowind (for me) the best part was when you got your stronghold and started collecting stuff like armor sets and books from your journeys in there. Now if you could get a spouse, you'd have someone to come home to after these adventures. It adds to the emotional base of the whole thing.

Plus add a classic courtly love questline where you woo the scions of powerful houses and try to gain the favor of their parents. It's part of the classic fantasy story. I don't get why just the word 'romance' makes people think of tacky sex scenes now. (All right, blame Dragon Age 2 and Game of Thrones)

Also, can't believe no one made the 'Horse Amour DLC' pun.

MrBig

Carcetti said:
I can definitely see how romance would work very well in a Bethesda RPG.

In an exploration based game like Morrowind (for me) the best part was when you got your stronghold and started collecting stuff like armor sets and books from your journeys in there. Now if you could get a spouse, you'd have someone to come home to after these adventures. It adds to the emotional base of the whole thing.

Plus add a classic courtly love questline where you woo the scions of powerful houses and try to gain the favor of their parents. It's part of the classic fantasy story. I don't get why just the word 'romance' makes people think of tacky sex scenes now. (All right, blame Dragon Age 2 and Game of Thrones)

Also, can't believe no one made the 'Horse Amour DLC' pun.
As long as the Main questline doesn't devolve into a love story I'm fine with it.

wit3tyg3r said:
I don't think PC footage will be shown until the game releases. Bethesda seems to have taken console development more seriously than PC development now, so they are naturally going to only show console footage. I think Todd even mentioned that they no longer will be focusing on PC gaming. It's become a secondary platform for them. You can even tell that Howard wasn't lying when he said that. The UI is completely designed for controllers. I am definitely going to buy Skyrim for PC, but I may most likely be playing it with my 360 controller if the UI is too console-centered.

Okay thanks for clearing that up. I definitely plan to get the PC version and probably the 360 version too. I'm confident I'll get 60fps on my rig which is only about 1 year old tech-wise (Intel Core i7, 8GB, GeForce GTX 460 1GB).

wit3tyg3r

herzogzwei1989 said:
Okay thanks for clearing that up. I definitely plan to get the PC version and probably the 360 version too. I'm confident I'll get 60fps on my rig which is only about 1 year old tech-wise (Intel Core i7, 8GB, GeForce GTX 460 1GB).

Yep, no problem. I will admit, thought, that I am hoping that they show at least some comparison screens between all three platforms. I doubt that will ever happen before release, but we can always hope, right? :p

Top Bottom