• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim E3 Information Recap Thread [Update: Romances~~~~]

wit3tyg3r said:
Yep, no problem. I will admit, thought, that I am hoping that they show at least some comparison screens between all three platforms. I doubt that will ever happen before release, but we can always hope, right? :p

Indeed :)

Fjordson

wit3tyg3r said:
I don't think PC footage will be shown until the game releases. Bethesda seems to have taken console development more seriously than PC development now, so they are naturally going to only show console footage. I think Todd even mentioned that they no longer will be focusing on PC gaming. It's become a secondary platform for them.
I don't think it was quite like that. Wasn't it just that most of their sales are on consoles and that it's easier for them to develop on consoles and port to PC? I'm sure they're still going to take the PC version seriously.

In an ideal world I'd have a new gaming rig by November, but I have no problem playing the 360 version if I don't. Time will tell I suppose.

wit3tyg3r

Fjordson said:
I don't think it was quite like that. Wasn't it just that most of their sales are on consoles and that it's easier for them to develop on consoles and port to PC? I'm sure they're still going to take the PC version seriously.

In an ideal world I'd have a new gaming rig by November, but I have no problem playing the 360 version if I don't. Time will tell I suppose.

Yeah, they had more sales on consoles but that is what made them decide to focus on consoles rather than PC. Todd didn't say it directly, but you could tell that developing on PC then porting to consoles is no longer their strategy when he was talking about it in some of the interviews. I'm not completely against their current model, but the #1 thing that I can see bothering me is the UI. As I mentioned before, the UI is completely developed for controllers and not a mouse. I wish they would just redo the UI for the PC version, but there's little hope for that.

tacotime77

Neo Member
I really hope the game is as modifiable as TES IV. I probably got an extra 50 hours out of Oblivion, just from mods. That being said, I hope the modding community is active for this one as well :D

Fjordson

wit3tyg3r said:
Yeah, they had more sales on consoles but that is what made them decide to focus on consoles rather than PC. Todd didn't say it directly, but you could tell that developing on PC then porting to consoles is no longer their strategy when he was talking about it in some of the interviews. I'm not completely against their current model, but the #1 thing that I can see bothering me is the UI. As I mentioned before, the UI is completely developed for controllers and not a mouse. I wish they would just redo the UI for the PC version, but there's little hope for that.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I've been out of the PC scene for many years so I don't know how extensive Elder Scrolls mods usually are, but I bet modders will fix any UI issues for the PC version.

Speaking of, Todd mentions mods for the consoles again in that AusGamers interview above. He clearly states that it won't be ready for Skyrim's release, but it's a pretty cool idea for the future.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Even if they don't give much of a shit about the PC platform, they better at least include console commands. There was a lot of wacky fun to be had with cc's in Morrowind, force_jump being the best. You could boost an NPC's acrobatics to something like 10000 then type force_jump to launch them into space, it was pretty funny.

wit3tyg3r

Fjordson said:
Yeah, I see what you mean. I've been out of the PC scene for many years so I don't know how extensive Elder Scrolls mods usually are, but I bet modders will fix any UI issues for the PC version.

Speaking of, Todd mentions mods for the consoles again in that AusGamers interview above. He clearly states that it won't be ready for Skyrim's release, but it's a pretty cool idea for the future.

I think he was saying that modding Skrim on consoles won't be ready by release. He mentioned that on a dev kit, he could take any PC mod and apply it to the console version of Skyrim with no changes, but the issue they are running into is that consoles are a bit more restrictive since you can't access a "desktop" and a modding kit through consoles, but they are working with Sony and Microsoft so that console gamers can at least apply mods, if not make them. But I am also curious as to how long after Skyrim's release the modding tools will be available.

Also, near the end of that interview (thanks to XtremeRampage for providing the link), Todd said that as far as DLC goes, he wants to focus more on expansions than small DLC. When I heard that, I danced with joy!

MrBig

Snuggler said:
Even if they don't give much of a shit about the PC platform, they better at least include console commands. There was a lot of wacky fun to be had with cc's in Morrowind, force_jump being the best. You could boost an NPC's acrobatics to something like 10000 then type force_jump to launch them into space, it was pretty funny.
He said quite clearly that their mod community is a huge deal to them, and that they were reserving the PC version to be shown later so that you could see the improvements from the console version. I wouldn't assume that they are purposefully gimping the PC version.

wit3tyg3r said:
I think he was saying that modding Skrim on consoles won't be ready by release. He mentioned that on a dev kit, he could take any PC mod and apply it to the console version of Skyrim with no changes, but the issue they are running into is that consoles are a bit more restrictive since you can't access a "desktop" and a modding kit through consoles, but they are working with Sony and Microsoft so that console gamers can at least apply mods, if not make them. But I am also curious as to how long after Skyrim's release the modding tools will be available.
The general effect of that is the same, but that's not what he said. Consoles being a closed system requires other systems to push content and requires reliability checks to make sure that nothing can go wrong with any mods. And then there's convincing MS to allow it.

Nice i think todd can actually make it happen mods on 360.
Phill spencer in a interview said he wanted live to evolve to that but that was mostly said for Minecraft.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Which quest was that again? Been a while since I've played Morrowind.

Wondering this too. I don't remember being involved in any romance in Morrowind, but I do faintly remember a quest where you were delivering letters (?) between two NPC's.

Aesius

tacotime77 said:
I really hope the game is as modifiable as TES IV. I probably got an extra 50 hours out of Oblivion, just from mods. That being said, I hope the modding community is active for this one as well :D

Between the original game (which I played through on both PC and 360), OOO 1.3 mod, and Nehrim, I probably got close to 250 hours out of Oblivion.

Morokh

tacotime77 said:

I've played the game on 360 first, like 2 times 50 hour-ish games, then got it on a steam sale, and since then I just tinkered with mods for what became 230 registred hours ... and I still haven't finished the main quest once.

I made a new "clean" mod list last week, and started a new game to do that before Skyrim comes out :p

MrBig

Morokh said:
I made a new "clean" mod list last week, and started a new game to do that before Skyrim comes out :p
What have you got on that list? I'd like to play through it again but haven't messed with any of the extensive mods.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
The Lamonster said:
Godd Howard

Says it all.

Liked the DLC plans, moving towards larger pieces that are closer to expansions packs. I'm not interested in downloading a 50MB dungeon that takes 40 minutes to run through.

Kurod

Banned
maniac-kun said:
So thats why the barmaid looks so hot.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee245/Copperhead_BOB/skyrim_barmaid.jpg[img]

My waifu.[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling that she and I are about to become [I]very[/I] close.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/527ue.jpg

Koomaster

So since crimes don't carry from one city to the next; does that include romance as well? Basically, does this mean we can have a different spouse in every town? ^____^

Not sure but would it be possible to have software on the pc side which formats a usb stick.
And then dump the mod files on it read it into skyrim(360).
It helps because microsoft doesn't have to pay for the bandwidth.
And i have fast internet so i rather jump through some hoops then to pay 80 msp for a mod because of the bandwidth. Or transfer it over my home network to the 360.

Took 360 as a example because so far i have seen sony doesn't really cares as long as it gets content.

Gravijah

dragonelite said:
Not sure but would it be possible to have software on the pc side which formats a usb stick.
And then dump the mod files on it read it into skyrim(360).
It helps because microsoft doesn't have to pay for the bandwidth.
And i have fast internet so i rather jump through some hoops then to pay 80 msp for a mod because of the bandwidth. Or transfer it over my home network to the 360.

Took 360 as a example because so far i have seen sony doesn't really cares as long as it gets content.

Unapproved code on a closed system = no way.

XtremeRampage

Neo Member
Borgnine said:
Says it all.

Liked the DLC plans, moving towards larger pieces that are closer to expansions packs. I'm not interested in downloading a 50MB dungeon that takes 40 minutes to run through.
Yup. Bring back the Morrowind expansion-pack style where each "expansion" is actually worth it.

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Which quest was that again? Been a while since I've played Morrowind.
IIRC, there was a quest in which you can sort-of romance a female Khajiit by bringing some gifts.

Luthos said:
And there were actually a few gameplay bits I don't think I had seen before, like him fighting that giant spider.
There's that. Although I'm (still) intrigued by the new (non-zoomed, closed up face) dialogue style with NPC. What would happen if another NPC fire an arrow and somehow hit the NPC that is talking to the player?

Kurod said:
I have a feeling that she and I are about to become very close.

527ue.jpg
I feel pity for him...

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Itching for a screenshot of the new and improved argonians. The Khajit and Orc are looking amazing.

Though we probably need to see the elves the most, their faces were easily the biggest horror of the collection of faces in Oblivion.

Also, glad to hear about being able to continue past the ending and the fact that they're not very big on that anymore in general. Bodes well for Fallout 4, I hope.

Luthos

Dr. Chaos said:
Itching for a screenshot of the new and improved argonians. The Khajit and Orc are looking amazing.

Though we probably need to see the elves the most, their faces were easily the biggest horror of the collection of faces in Oblivion.
I'm basically itching for some shots of all the races. Already have plenty of their main character who I assume is a Nord. And then the Orc and Khajiit pics.

Wow, I didn't expect Todd would immediatly go "it was a mistake" when someone brought up Fallout 3's ending. I didn't really mind having it end after "Take It Back!". It was different than what they'd done in the past, but the consequences of the choices you made were bigger.

I liked being able to continue the story in Broken Steel, but it kinda sucked that they just completely ruined the endgame decisions because of it. There never were big choices like that in TES games, though, so it would suck a lot more if we couldn't carry on here. But I didn't really mind in Fallout 3, and I sure don't now in New Vegas.

Keasar

Dr. Chaos said:
Though Im probably gonna go for my long dreamed of Nord Barbarian wandering around in a wintery landscape fistfighting dragons (though I am sure I sadly heard unarmed isnt in the game, confirm?), seeing the new look of the argonians would be pretty nice. And elves, they have always been taking the ugly stick in these games.

Keasar said:
Though Im probably gonna go for my long dreamed of Nord Barbarian wandering around in a wintery landscape fistfighting dragons (though I am sure I sadly heard unarmed isnt in the game, confirm?), seeing the new look of the argonians would be pretty nice. And elves, they have always been taking the ugly stick in these games.
You can still fistfight, it's just no longer a seperate skill.

Keasar

Blue Ninja said:
You can still fistfight, it's just no longer a seperate skill.
Ah, yeah, meant it like as the skill. So, as far as I know, they have also excluded attributes (like strength and etc) and included only 3 main attributes like health, stamina and magic/intelligence, how are you then supposed to improve that ability?

Keasar said:
Ah, yeah, meant it like as the skill. So, as far as I know, they have also excluded attributes (like strength and etc), how are you then supposed to improve that ability?
No clue, though I'm sure we'll learn more as we get closer to release. Todd stated there were ways to increase your carry weight, for instance, even though the Strength-attribute is out.

GhaleonEB

Blue Ninja said:
Wow, I didn't expect Todd would immediatly go "it was a mistake" when someone brought up Fallout 3's ending. I didn't really mind having it end after "Take It Back!". It was different than what they'd done in the past, but the consequences of the choices you made were bigger.

I liked being able to continue the story in Broken Steel, but it kinda sucked that they just completely ruined the endgame decisions because of it. There never were big choices like that in TES games, though, so it would suck a lot more if we couldn't carry on here. But I didn't really mind in Fallout 3, and I sure don't now in New Vegas.
I was pissed about the ending of Fallout 3, in large part because I didn't know it DID end when I got to it. I treated the main quest as a side show to the game (as with Oblivion), and knocked it off when I still had a lot of other little things on the side I was working on. So running into a wall at that point was infuriating. (I just skipped back a half dozen auto saves and carried on from there, but still.)

GhaleonEB said:
I was pissed about the ending of Fallout 3, in large part because I didn't know it DID end when I got to it. I treated the main quest as a side show to the game (as with Oblivion), and knocked it off when I still had a lot of other little things on the side I was working on. So running into a wall at that point was infuriating. (I just skipped back a half dozen auto saves and carried on from there, but still.)
Yeah, it pissed a lot of people off. I'd been warned beforehand to save before starting the mission "Take It Back", but Bethesda could've implemented a warning like Obsidian did in New Vegas to make it clearer (at least, I don't think they did, I can't remember).

It was them experimenting with 'bigger choices', and I thought it was sad the 'meaningful choices' ultimately became practically worthless in 'Broken Steel'. The ability to continue on afterwards hurt the ending, or at least I feel it did.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Burning Man said:
I want to go work at Bethesda. For Todd. Damn that guy is awesome.

We all want to go work for Bethesda, Burning Man. Even those of us with a BA in marketing and public affairs, 8 years of real-world marketing experience, a spotless military record and who can be found reading to blind orphan puppies on alternating Friday nights. Also, I'm made of candy.

Burning Man

Neo Member
WanderingWind said:
We all want to go work for Bethesda, Burning Man. Even those of us with a BA in marketing and public affairs, 8 years of real-world marketing experience, a spotless military record and who can be found reading to blind orphan puppies on alternating Friday nights. Also, I'm made of candy.
You have eight years of marketing experience and they don't want you? DAMN. And here I was hoping I could sneak in after I nailed an MBA. Did you really apply?

GhaleonEB

Burning Man said:
I want to go work at Bethesda. For Todd. Damn that guy is awesome.
Interviews with Todd are always fascinating and enjoyable, especially when the interviewer knows what they're talking about. The one with him and the Minecraft creator was mesmerizing.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Burning Man said:
You have eight years of marketing experience and they don't want you? DAMN. And here I was hoping I could sneak in after I nailed an MBA. Did you really apply?

Oh, man. You have to apply??? ;)

Well, as soon as my current contract is up, I'll get right on that...

Top Bottom