• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim E3 Information Recap Thread [Update: Romances~~~~]

Seanspeed

Banned
Didn't feel this needed its own thread, but I've got pre-order info:

Get a premium Skyrim map with your preorder

Making real maps of our fantasy worlds is an Elder Scrolls tradition. As Todd Howard said all the way back in a Morrowind blog post, “There’s something about having a physical object in your hands that feels like it’s part of this other world, that you are that person in the game, finding your way among the hills.”

With that in mind, today we are announcing that anyone who preorders Skyrim will automatically receive a premium quality world map with their copy as a no-extra-cost-to-you bonus.

To guarantee your copy of your premium quality world map, please pre-order today.

Update: We’ve received plenty of questions about the map. So you know, it’s a high-grade material that has a feel similar to burlap, and will be available in North America and European territories. There will be a regular paper map included in all copies of the game, but if you want to get the premium map, we recommend pre-ordering the game.

21j4voo.jpg

http://bethblog.com/

Fjordson

Oh damn, that's awesome.

So this comes with a pre-order from any retailer? Probably going to go ahead and order on Amazon if so.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
is it likely we will be able to pre-order this on steam?

Luthos

Been replaying Oblivion, and a couple of armor/appearance things I'd like to see Skyrim do.

Firstly, cloaks and capes. I'm not the biggest modder for Oblivion, but if there is one I love, it's the Capes and Cloaks mod. I'm really big on appearances in RPGs. (Like I've been known to downgrade armor, or not use helmets because I think they look stupid, lol.) And I love cloaks and whatnot. They add a bit of flair to a stagnant look.

Secondly, I wish there were slight appearance variations in armor. Like, not all leather armor is the exact same. Like slight differences in appearance, perhaps based on where in Skyrim you got them. One city will have different looking versions of the same type of armor. And to go along with that, have the ability to use tabards or some sort of cloth to mix up with your armor. Maybe even the ability to customize your own. That could add a lot in how you make your appearance unique. Like the guards in different towns in Oblivion. They all had similar armor, but they varied because of their city's tabard.

Although I saw a picture of the heavy armor skill, and it listed iron, steel, silver, etc., etc., so I'm guessing it's just gonna be another stock appearance for each type. =\

Chiggs

Gravijah said:
You don't display it, you use it!

I guess I maybe would have preferred a mini-strategy guide or some DLC armor or something. I don't know if consulting a burlap map for directions is all that convenient.

Luthos said:
Oh, and they need actual beards, instead of shaded skin.

Like, for serious.
I think their design list for Fallout 3 was something like this:

"1. Beards
2. Everything Else."

I think Todd has a beard fetish or something. I'm expecting even more beards than in Fallout 3.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
jim-jam bongs said:
Came to find out about gay romances so I read this completely the wrong way.

Now that would be a triumph of next generation radiant AI.

sorry if already posted

Bethesda 'will support Wii U if it's powerful enough'
Skyrim, Rage and Prey 2 could all come to the new Ninty console

Bethesda will bring its core titles, such as Skyrim, Rage and Prey 2, to the Nintendo Wii U... if the tech is powerful enough.

Although we saw big name franchises like Call of Duty come to the original Wii, for Bethesda, the amount of re-development that would have gone into names like Fallout and Elder Scrolls made the lower powered machine a no go.

"Our motto has always been: We want to make our gmaes available to the widest audience possible on whatever platforms that will support the game," marketing VP Pete Hines told MCV.

"So to whatever extent new consoles fit with the kind of games we are making and support them technologically, we would certainly do that.

"The Wii wasn't even an option - we would have to make wholesale changes to the games we were making on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC to make them work on Wii."

Things are looking up for the Wii U and the PlayStation Vita though, since they are said to boast significantly improved technology compared to their predecessors.

Hines still remains cautious though: "I honestly know nothing about the tech specs of the new platforms and whether or not they are a good fit for what we are making with say Rage and Skyrim and Prey 2," he said.

"If they are a good fit for the kind of games we are making then absolutely, we would look to put them out for those. But beyond that I can't get into specifics."

Nintendo fans are in for a long haul if Skyrim does come to the Wii U. It was confirmed earlier this week that the massive RPG has hundreds of hours of content. We expected nothing less.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/309811/news/bethesda-will-support-wii-u-if-its-powerful-enough/

Also making comments about the new system and the possibility for future support recently was Bethesda, who also sees potential for the Wii U. Much like Activision, and likely every other developer that is looking to get behind the new platform, Bethesda is concerned with more concrete techical specifications for the new console. Although the specifics haven't been given at this time, Bethesda's Pete Hines expressed his interest in the new console in a recent interview with MCV.

"I honestly know nothing about the tech specs of the new platforms and whether or not they are a good fit for what we are making with say RAGE and Skyrim and Prey 2. If they are a good fit for the kind of games we are making then absolutely, we would look to put them out for those. But beyond that I can't get into specifics."
- Hines said when speaking about Nintendo's Wii U and Sony's PlayStation Vita.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/activision-bethesda-eyeing-nintendo-wii-u/

I want Skyrim on Wii U very badly. I'd love it if Wii U was powerful enough to run Skyrim at 1080p 60fps with better/higher res textures than the 360/PS3 version, comparable to what the PC version will do (even if not as good as a highend PC). I read that the PC version might have additional graphical effects not in 360/PS3 version (I wonder if that might mean soft shadows as with the Oblivion tech-demo). Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Wii U Skyrim,

herzogzwei1989 said:
sorry if already posted

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/309811/news/bethesda-will-support-wii-u-if-its-powerful-enough/

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/activision-bethesda-eyeing-nintendo-wii-u/

I want Skyrim on Wii U very badly. I'd love it if Wii U was powerful enough to run Skyrim at 1080p 60fps with better/higher res textures than the 360/PS3 version, comparable to what the PC version will do (even if not as good as a highend PC). I read that the PC version might have additional graphical effects not in 360/PS3 version (I wonder if that might mean soft shadows as with the Oblivion tech-demo). Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Wii U Skyrim,

If the tech is good enough?
Well its going to be better than whats in the 360 and PS3 so shouldnt it be obvious it already will be?

bengraven

It was confirmed earlier this week that the massive RPG has hundreds of hours of content.

I laughed at that part for some reason.

Yes, we know TES games are long, but the "we just confirmed" part makes me giggle.

wit3tyg3r

Gravijah said:
Portable Elder Scrolls plzzzz.

Don't know if you remember this, but there once was a TES game for the N-gage. It was called The Elder Scrolls: Shadowkey.

Here are some screens:

s23974_ng_107.jpg

s23974_ng_33.jpg

s23974_ng_26.jpg

Chiggs said:
I guess I maybe would have preferred a mini-strategy guide or some DLC armor or something. I don't know if consulting a burlap map for directions is all that convenient.

Are you kidding?!?!? This is prefect! I will now successfully be able to pretend to be Dovakhiin and march around the woods behind my house with cardboard armor and weapons! I may even find a broken branch to use as a staff!

Lol that brought back memories of my childhood days when I would pretend to be a mage....Oh how wonderful it was to play classic RPGs back then.

TheVampire said:
If the tech is good enough?
Well its going to be better than whats in the 360 and PS3 so shouldnt it be obvious it already will be?

We still don't know for certain yet. Bethesda doesn't know, even. Hopefully the dev-kits released in July will have near-final specs and those will leak out.

ironcreed

Banned
Looking forward to seeing what they will be offering in the collector's edition. I normally opt for the regular edition, but The Elder Scrolls is an exception... a big one.

wit3tyg3r

bengraven said:
Yeah, but it was bad.

Imagine a portable TES done right with hundreds of hours of gameplay. My god.

Oh I know. I just wanted to bring that up since Gravijah mentioned it haha

ironcreed said:
Looking forward to seeing what they will be offering in the collector's edition. I normally opt for the regular edition, but The Elder Scrolls is an exception... a big one.
Indeed. Don't want a bust though, or one of those tiny little art books. Give a worn but detailed map with spots to hidden treasure, a meaty game guide and/or actual coffee table sized art book.

wit3tyg3r

NullPointer said:
Indeed. Don't want a bust though, or one of those tiny little art books.

I think it would be pretty cool if they had a really big book of lore...Something to the effect of the one in the Oblivion Collector's Edition, but something more substantial.

wit3tyg3r said:
Don't know if you remember this, but there once was a TES game for the N-gage. It was called The Elder Scrolls: Shadowkey.
There actually were three TES mobile games, released in 2003 and 2004. Shadowkey was N-Gage exclusive, while Dawnstar and Stormhold were for all Java-enabled cell phones.

wit3tyg3r

Blue Ninja said:
There actually were three TES mobile games, released in 2003 and 2004. Shadowkey was N-Gage exclusive, while Dawnstar and Stormhold were for all Java-enabled cell phones.

Oh yeah! I remember those now that you mention it. I remember seeing the ad for that during the installation screens of Oblivion. Imagine what they could do with the higher-end smart phones these days. I would love a mini-TES on-the-go.

Well, as somebody above said, there was originally a PSP version for Oblivion planned, but that was supposedly a dungeon crawler game, as well. I still remember seeing some screenshots a while back:

0UmK8m.jpg

uVMq2m.jpg

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
You promised me riches with every forum bump, Blue Ninja!

My heart is shattered.

Stahsky

I'm sorry dear lover. I have to take my anger out on someone. Where is my Skyrim footage?

I'm half-expecting Spike to broadcast the half-hour demo, like they're doing with BioShock Infinite.

Gravijah said:
Blue Ninja, I hope you play a thief in Skyrim.
Naw man, I'm gonna play an Argonian prostitute.

Stahsky

Blue Ninja said:
I'm half-expecting Spike to broadcast the half-hour demo, like they're doing with BioShock Infinite.

Naw man, I'm gonna play an Argonian prostitute.

I have fixed my grievous error on my last post. Apologies

Edit: Wait, can I date people under me? Because if not, this Nord pimp idea just went out the window.

ironcreed said:

Pretty much this. This is the only game ever that, prior to seeing any special edition, I've known I'll buy whatever uber expensive edition they throw at me. I'm Bethesda's bitch, particularly when it comes to the Elder Scrolls. Still, I'm hoping that the special edition has something really awesome. Also, I seem to be one of the few that genuinely enjoys the Making Of DVD's - the Oblivion in particular one was fun to watch.

How long before release is it usually before they announce such editions? I would expect soon since this pre-order bonus has already been announced?

Stahsky said:
I have fixed my grievous error on my last post. Apologies

Edit: Wait, can I date people under me? Because if not, this Nord pimp idea just went out the window.
You could've used the term "bottom bitch". :lol

In all seriousness, though, I'm probably gonna roll a Nord warrior. Fight dragons, not fuck them.

killerpenguin said:
How long before release is it usually before they announce such editions? I would expect soon since this pre-order bonus has already been announced?
Considering games like Mass Effect 3 already have their LE announced, it's kind of odd Skyrim's hasn't been yet. The details probably haven't been finalized yet: I'd expect something before summer's end, at the very least.

Top Bottom