• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim is putting up insane numbers on Steam

Cipherr

Tobor said:
Not according to Bethesda.

Are you certain? Reading what he typed, he didnt say the PC version would sell more overall, he said it was likely the PC share would be higher percentage wise vs the console version than the COD split.

Derrick01

Banned
Chesskid1 said:
so since it's a steamworks only title they basically sold 300k-400k or so on day 1?

not really insane, but i guess it is for steam?

Much higher. A dev said to get around 50-60k playing at once you need to have sold 10 times that. Skyrim's got over 200k already and it's still rising.

dLMN8R

Look guys, we know of a lot of games that have sold hundreds of thousands of copies, if not millions, and use Steamworks.

Those games almost never come close to touching 100k concurrent users.

Skyrim is a massive anomaly. This number is significant, it cannot be brushed off. It means huge sales figures for Skyrim on PC, and that's pretty awesome.

dLMN8R

Lesiroth said:
Wouldn't have expected it to surpass MW3, but I guess MW3's main market isn't on PCs.
For context, it's not just passing Modern Warfare 3 on PC.

Let me put in more clearly for everyone - Skyrim's concurrent numbers on PC are meeting or exceeding the concurrent numbers that either the 360 or PC versions of Battlefield 3 did close to release.

Chesskid1

Banned
my ignorance has been fixed.

thanks for explaining just how insane these numbers are, guys.

i hate the setting of elder scrolls game, it's just not interesting like fallout or ME to me (to be fair i've only played the first few hours of oblivion), but i'm happy to see steam doing very well.

Lesiroth

dLMN8R said:
For context, it's not just passing Modern Warfare 3 on PC.

Let me put in more clearly for everyone - Skyrim's concurrent numbers on PC are meeting or exceeding the concurrent numbers that either the 360 or PC versions of Battlefield 3 did close to release.
Yeah, I kinda figured that out already.
I should probably get around to buying it sometime soon, but the comments of it being a shoddy console port put me off D:

Wow already passed 200k. This game has just broken every single record on Steam. No game has ever had this many people playing at once on a Friday during these hours. It's probably gonna hit 500k over the weekend - I haven't even bought my copy yet!

Such a remarkable number for those who look at these numbers from time to time when big Steamworks games come out. 209,537 is insane when compared to even the biggest of Steamworks releases.

-bakalhau- said:
Isn't it a bit weird Steam tops the user count around this time? I'd expect the top concurrent users to be around 6PM USA/Midnight EU... But no.

It's gonna be fun to see if Skyrim users playing will still go up from now on.

School day starting to end in US / Early evening in EU

For those of you wondering about the number of people playing at this time, I should add that today is a holiday for some people in the US - Veteran's Day.

Derrick01

Banned
Joe Shlabotnik said:
School day starting to end in US / Early evening in EU

No school in America today, national holiday. But yeah the work day is almost over for most people so we'll see what happens.

Fjordson

Paddling Ghost said:
Skyrim is the sort of game that is prone to doing a bit better on PC vs consoles than COD games would. Impressive none the less.
You'd think, though Todd Howard says the majority of their audience is actually on consoles these days.

If it's blowing up this much on Steam, can't imagine the sales for all three platforms. Good week for Bethesda it seems.

Cday

Banned
I'd be adding to that but Newegg isn't getting it to me until Monday when I will have no time to play it. It was 20% off so I'll live.

MarkMclovin said:
Where is Team Fortress 2 in that list? Not even top 5?

#5 right now

Don't think I've ever seen over 4 million people on Steam at one time.

amdnv

coopolon said:
I've always assumed most of Steam's user base is in the NA. Is this not true?
Look at the graph in the OP. Steam's concurrent user amount usually peaks at around noon Pacific.

Minsc

Gold Member
Cipherr said:
Are you certain? Reading what he typed, he didnt say the PC version would sell more overall, he said it was likely the PC share would be higher percentage wise vs the console version than the COD split.

"90 per cent of our audience is on the consoles"

So if steam peaks at 300k concurrent players later, and that translates to 1 concurrent user for every 10 sales, meaning 3 million sold on PC worldwide (retail + DD), and according to Bethesda that's just 10% of their audience, console sales should be somewhere around 30 million this weekend?

A lot of (incorrect) assumptions, but it will be interesting to see where it falls. Even if Steam is just showing an abnormally high rate of 1 concurrent user for every 2 sales, Bethesda is telling us to expect around 6 million console sales this weekend, pretty impressive.

jayhawker

I H8 Memes said:
COD games only stay in the steam top 2 for about a month. Then they always get passed by both CS games and TF2.

Not sure who or what you're responding to, but I'm sure Skryim will have even weaker legs (on the concurrent count, I mean). It's single player after all.

Deadstar

jayhawker said:
Not sure who or what you're responding to, but I'm sure Skryim will have even weaker legs (on the concurrent count, I mean). It's single player after all.

It's also a 300+ hour game.

jayhawker

For some people it's a 300 hour game. For most people it might be a 50 hour game. Actually, counting people who don't finish, the average play time might be something like 30 hours. who knows.

EDIT: also, skyrim numbers dropping now. From 211k to 210k. oh noes.

Minsc said:
"90 per cent of our audience is on the consoles"

So if steam peaks at 300k concurrent players later, and that translates to 1 concurrent user for every 10 sales, meaning 3 million sold on PC worldwide (retail + DD), and according to Bethesda that's just 10% of their audience, console sales should be somewhere around 30 million this weekend?

A lot of (incorrect) assumptions, but it will be interesting to see where it falls. Even if Steam is just showing an abnormally high rate of 1 concurrent user for every 2 sales, Bethesda is telling us to expect around 6 million console sales this weekend, pretty impressive.

Made me lol

coopolon

stuminus3 said:
For the record the numbers probably rising steadily because it's actually early evening/late night across Europe right now. The same Europe that features many countries that are huge on PC games. The same Europe that were nuts about janky Western RPG games like Skyrim long before they were popular in NA.

So you would expect the number to actually start falling then over the next several hours?

Edit
Sportbilly said:
Numbers are starting to go down now. Bomba confirmed.

Heh.

Derrick01

Banned
jayhawker said:
For some people it's a 300 hour game. For most people it might be a 50 hour game. Actually, counting people who don't finish, the average play time might be something like 30 hours. who knows.

EDIT: also, skyrim numbers dropping now. From 211k to 210k. oh noes.

218k for me. Wat.

AEREC

Piercedveil said:
Wow, I hope this does extremely well on the PC!

It looks like it already has...200,000+ players playing a game at the same time (especially singleplayer) is a lot, even for consoles.

It's gonna skyrocket as people get home from work now in the next few hours.

Brought the guide with me to read at lunch and someone else had one too. :D

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Damn. Between Skyrim, MW 3 and Dark Souls I have no idea what to play. First world problem I guess. I feel very ADD right now.

Top Bottom