• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim is putting up insane numbers on Steam

Card Boy

Banned
I really want this but Bethesda is going to milk it for all its with with DLC. The smart thing is to wait for the eventual GOTY Edition.

If the 10% of audience is PC claims are true, then Bethesda are looking at, at least 2.2million day one sales. Probably closer to 3mil.

Fantastic game, really deserves it.

dLMN8R

Cday said:
Don't think I've ever seen over 4 million people on Steam at one time.
It's a pretty remarkable number, but it hit roughly 4.3 million total people in late-october. Almost certainly going to pass 5 million before the year's out!

Minsc said:
This quote is incredibly baffling. My guess is that it's yet another case of console-focused publishers buying into the "PC is dead" bullshit that they create a self-fulfilling prophecy of shitty PC ports that cause fewer people to buy PC games.

Quotes like that are why I made this thread, in fact:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448010

10 friends online (GAF folks) at the same time playing Skyrim and I'm sitting here working on a lab!

Guess I'll talk to these folks in a week after they come out of their Skyrim world.

dLMN8R

WolfForager said:
If the 10% of audience is PC claims are true, then Bethesda are looking at, at least 2.2million day one sales. Probably closer to 3mil.

No, it would be far, far higher on that. These Steam concurrent numbers easily represent 500k-1 million sales on PC alone. I highly doubt the majority of people who bought the game are actually playing it right this second.

Salacious Crumb

WolfForager said:

Remember these are current player numbers. not everyone who bought it will be playing it right now.

Mrbob

Using concurrent numbers are have said to be about 10 percent or less of sales. I think Skyrim will have a bigger average. Easy to suggest the game has sold over 1 million on PC already. Guess the console versions must be over 9 million sold by now. :p

Freaking absurd amount of players, its at 227,779 now! Too bad I got into the SW beta this weekend or I'd go grab my own copy of skyrim. Sigh, o first world problems

dLMN8R

Mrbob said:
Using concurrent numbers are have said to be about 10 percent or less of sales. I think Skyrim will have a bigger average. Easy to suggest the game has sold over 1 million on PC already. Guess the console versions must be over 9 million sold by now. :p
That's after the population stabilizes though. Tripwire said on an episode of the PC Gamer Podcast that their peak concurrent numbers usually represent 10% of the total # unique players throughout the day.

That was after the game had been out for a year or two though. With Skyrim, there's definitely a far higher percentage of the player base playing right now since it's brand new, and Skyrim is also the type of game you'd play for a much longer period of time.

Still though, it wouldn't be at all surprising if the game has sold 500k-1 million on PC already.

Mrbob

Portal 2 maxed at 100K concurrent and that game sold over a million on PC.

Skyrim is more than doubling Portal 2. Easy one million already.

Clevinger

That's good news. It's a great game, despite the crappy port. I hope this means they're going to patch it ASAP like the Deus Ex developers did.

ksan

That is amazing to see, can't wait to see the Dota 2 numbers once it's released for real.
specialguy said:
Counter Strike, PC gamers? Really? It's not 2001 anymore, guys.
Most PC gamers don't need the illusion of a new game by just putting a +1 at the end of the title and leaving everything else the same.
Good games are more important :lol

Scotch

Retail copies of Modern Warfare 3 use Steam, correct? Because honestly I'm surprised how low the MW3 numbers are. I know the series gets the vast majority of sales on consoles, but still.

Scotch said:
Retail copies of Modern Warfare 3 use Steam, correct? Because honestly I'm surprised how low the MW3 numbers are. I know the series gets the vast majority of sales on consoles, but still.

BF3. I think a lot of PC gamers have bought that instead of MW3. ;)

Cipherr

specialguy said:

As if you would even know what its like to still be able to play a game online 9+ years after release. Console gamers stay having their online games master servers pulled 2 years down the line.

And this:

lol what? Best multi fps ever, there are games with better graphics but not with better gameplay.

kswiston

Scotch said:

Was the same for BLOPS and MW2. The games typically get about 100k concurrent users on PC.

However, at the end of the year we will get a report saying that the game was pirated 4-5M times on PC.

I am really really surprised at how many people are playing Skyrim. Would have guessed a peak of maybe 70k.

Atomski

I went to gamestop last night with my sister to get her copy (I bought my copy off steam) and was shocked at how long the midnight launch line was. Probably the longest I had been in my little town... including wow expansions and halo games.

I figured Elderscrolls had kind of a niche fanbase.. apparently I was wrong.

x3sphere

King Boo said:
LOL. nah i'm sure the kids are there to learn.

going back on topic, i think the game sold close to a million on pc.

I'd say it likely sold closer to 2 million on PC, based on these numbers.

I know more people playing this than MW3 right now irl. I'm guessing 5-6 mil combined, all platforms.

I'd be a part of that number if Amazon didn't get me my copy today. I paid a bit extra for release day shipping too! Should have just paid the extra £5 and got it through Steam...

Still, it makes Bethesda look a tad silly for doing relatively little for the PC version of what was originally a PC franchise.

x3sphere said:
I'd say it likely sold closer to 2 million on PC, based on these numbers.

I know more people playing this than MW3 right now irl. I'm guessing 5-6 mil combined, all platforms.

That is insane if you are implying day 1 sales, but you never know.

vocab

specialguy said:

Even though I don't play CS period anymore cause the US scene is dead. It's game play is unmatched to this day. Also, don't criticize people on what they play because they should be able to play whatever they want. I know people who play Quakeworld, DOTA and CPMA. Those games are older than most kids who play COD today.

Mrbob

It won't last forever, but at the very least it warms my heart to see Skyrim crushing Modern Warfare 3 on release weekend.

Top Bottom