• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim review thread. I think they're trying to say it's good.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
RPS said:
I have not bought a house.
I have not worn heavy armour, wielded a two-handed weapon, dual-wielded two one-handed weapons or fired a bow (for anything other than as a distraction).
I have not got married (I did propose to a middle-aged warrior-woman by accident, but didn’t get around to seeing a priest yet).
I did not acquire any spells above Apprentice level, even though I regularly fried foes with lightning bolts.
I have not completed 44 quests listed in my journal, nor even accepted probably twice more that number.
I have not visited the vast majority of locations marked on my map.
I have not visited the college of magic, or joined a mage’s guild.
I have not contracted vampirism, though I have cleared out several vampire dens.
I have not killed anyone in cold blood, though I have been sorely tempted.
I have not hunted animals for their pelts, even though I need leather to make better armour.
I have not replaced my initial horse with a better one. I’m very fond of the fat old idiot.
I have not been invited to join the Dark Brotherhood.
I have not earned the favour of any of the Jarls who rule Skyrim’s various cities.
I have not sided with either the Stormcloaks or the Empire in the great civil war wracking Skyrim.
I have not fought a dragon.
I haven’t even seen a dragon, apart from the one in the mandatory introduction quest.

I have played Skyrim for going on 30 hours, and I barely feel I’ve scratched its surface. I haven’t even thought about taking on its main quest, so lost was I to the other arcs and needy little self-interests this RPG is so generous in offering. I am earnestly worried that I will be playing it for months to come, because I don’t know how I can reconcile that with also playing other games for my job.

Here’s some of what I have done:

I have been inducted into the Thieves’ Guild, and solved the mystery of why it’s fallen on hard times – a tale of subterfuge, corruption, dark gods and decades-old lies.
I have joined the Companions, the booze-loving remnants of what was once the Fighter’s Guild, and discovered the secrets of their true nature.
I have run alongside a wide-eyed fox, for miles, across snowy hillsides.
I have snatched dragonflies from the air and then immediately eaten them.
I have cooked a fine assortment of vegetarian meals. Oh, alright, and quite a few meaty ones too.
I have acquired a faithful hound who follows me everywhere. Wish he didn’t bark all the time though – it seriously messes with my stealthing.
I have explored a vast dwarf city (the dwarves of this world vanished long ago), full of giant brass robot guards. For a while, a small brass robot spider was my loyal guard.
I have seen a werewolf tear five men apart in an instant.
I have made a meagre but honest living chopping and selling firewood, and selling crops to farmers…
…But then I got bored of that and robbed half the world blind.

Dreaver

Awesome! Though I expected solid 9s.

Still got too many games I need to finish... plus Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 are addicting!

Haunted

jett said:
Hugely hyped game gets good reviews, i totally did not see that one coming.
I agree.

That said, I see two trustworthy reviews in the OP, and they're both very positive.

Leonsito

Well, I'll stay away from this game for a few months, waiting for the hype to dissapear. It was the same situation with Oblivion and the game was broken and was impossible to finish for me despite playing more than 100 hours.

Hope they ditched totally the way levelig worked in Oblivion.

Sinthetic

GarthVaderUK said:
I don't know what's more surprising - a 9 from Edge, 10 from Jim Sterling or RockPaperShotgun saying it's better than Morrowind!

Probably the EG 10 is the most shocking, seeing as they are unfamiliar with giving out that high a score.

RickA238

Rockpapershotgun: "New Best Elder Scrolls Ever."

Wow. RPS is one of the very few sites that I trust. If the general consensus is that this is better than Morrowind then we're in for a huge treat. Can't wait until tomorrow (especially because I get Veteran's Day off!)

First Uncharted, now Skyrim. Next Rayman, then Zelda...pretty sure this is the best single month in gaming in a long fucking time.

God I can't wait for this game. Bring on the weekend.

Leonsito said:
Well, I'll stay away from this game for a few months, waiting for the hype to dissapear. It was the same situation with Oblivion and the game was broken and was impossible to finish for me despite playing more than 100 hours.

Hope they ditched totally the way levelig worked in Oblivion.

Yeah I'm already suspicious of reviews, the ps3 performance is not good at all, and presentation/graphics I'd give it an 8 at best, and that's pushing it

weeaboo

Misterinenja said:
gamesjournalism.gif

games-journalismaf8t.gif

RickA238

Mike E21286 said:
Should be a holiday regardless. Contemplating this as well.

It is a holiday in the US, Veteran's Day. I think that was the point of a very rare Friday release. Plus I guess it's cool to have your game come out on 11-11-11.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
RPS said:
I have made a meagre but honest living chopping and selling firewood, and selling crops to farmers…
I need to buy this game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Wow that's awesome.

And WTF is up with Gametrailers and posting spoilers in all their fucking reviews? Seriously, I've stopped watching their reviews because of that crap.

Top Bottom