• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword new media depot [Latest: Lyre Trailer] [Spoilers may vary]

Mael

So....If Skyloft is really the overworld, that means we once again have been robbed of an overworld....

Guess Xenoblade is GOTY 2011

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mael said:
So....If Skyloft is really the overworld, that means we once again have been robbed of an overworld....

Horseshit.

cajunator

Banned
The overworld's haven't really been great since the 2D versions. Will probably have to wait until Zelda goes HD for a truly awe-inspiring overworld. Skyloft/Ocean is pretty much the best they can do with current tech. But don't sell the game short based on that.

Midou

BurntPork said:
There goes my boner.

Technically speaking, it is no different from wind waker. If anything, Wind Waker provides the illusion that you go between the areas because you're on the ground, but they are still self contained areas. The sky travel is cooler, but does make it seem more disjointed, but it is the same concept.

Mik2121

Oh wow.. that looks GREAT.

I think I will be buying a Wii again come November or so. I also need to play through SMG2 (I sold the Wii a bit before SMG2 got released).

BurntPork

Banned
Oblivion said:
Far too much recycled footage in the new trailer, but overall done much better.

What's with the sudden flood of new media? I thought the game wasn't due til December or something?
November 18th(EU)/20th(NA)

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oblivion said:
Eh, it's just some footage of Link and Zelda flying around on the stupid bird things. There's not much new stuff in that particular video.

Mael said:

Guess Xenoblade is GOTY 2011

qjpkB.png

The fuck is wrong with you people!?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Like the hat? said:
most beautiful game I have ever seen. Wow.
I love the abundance of colour. It's so gorgeous. I cannot wait to see some shots of this game on Dolphin.

I am loving the animations, facial expressions and character designs as well. I've really really warmed up to Zelda's design. It really suits her based on her dialogue, gestures and facial expressions.

Like someone said, that romance trailer seems like something out of Studio Ghibli.

Mael

Sn4ke_911 said:
NGamer: "Skyward Sword is the Toughest Zelda Yet"
The sky realm is apparently the true overworld while the surface is made up of self-contained areas

Well yeah that's my point, they put that huge vaccum on the sky ala great sea of WW just to avoid having to make a huge entertaining overworld.
IE we got rob of the overworld we used to have.

Just to be clear, I'm no fan of WW AT ALL.
Having the next Zelda take that direction is really not good news for me.
Because really self connected areas linked by a big vaccum overworld was done in WW, PH and ST already.

PooBone

There's a lot of really good lookin stuff in that trailer. Me likey.

EDIT: I am bummed about the apparent structure of the overworld(s) and not having a true hubworld to explore, ala Hyrule Field.

I hated Wind Waker (there I said it).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mael said:
Well yeah that's my point, they put that huge vaccum on the sky ala great sea of WW just to avoid having to make a huge entertaining overworld.

Just to be clear, I'm no fan of WW AT ALL.
Having the next Zelda take that direction is really not good news for me.

I'd take WW's overworld over TP's personally.

Fuck the people that hate Wind Waker's overworld. I don't care how empty it was, I could sail for hours and hours exploring the maps and shit, and never once get bored.

P.S. I loved the Triforce quests too.

Mael

Andrex said:
I'd take WW's overworld over TP's personally.
To say the least I disagree, I'd take a stab in the eye over the travesty that was WW.

Seriously it's even more of a shame since we just got a taste of what was possible in term of huge sprawling area to roam in an adventure game with Xenoblade.
If Xenoblade was not a Wii game I wouldn't have paid it any mind that Zelda:SS was restricted in that way. But now I can't say I'm excited at all for that part.

The Mana Legend said:
Fuck the people that hate Wind Waker's overworld. I don't care how empty it was, I could sail for hours and hours exploring the maps and shit, and never once get bored.

I tend to prefer playing fun games instead of doing chores but to each his own.

wrowa

Mael said:
Stupid and wrong. Since the areas below the clouds are much more puzzle-centric than the areas of previous 3D Zeldas they probably put more time in designing the overworld areas (including the hubs below the clouds) than they put into any other 3D Zelda overworld before.

The comparison to TWW is also flawed, since 1) the sky isn't a "huge vaccum in the sky" (you are travelling much faster than in TWW, there are dozens of spheres) and 2) there are still rather big overworld areas below the clouds. It's not similar to TWW's small islands.

jett

D-Member
The Mana Legend said:

You're a special one aren't you.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The Mana Legend said:

Agreed. I loved sailing in WW.

jett said:
You're a special one aren't you.

By the point you get to that part in the game, you should have more than enough rupees to buy all of the Triforce maps. And then you sail and go get them. It's a process that takes, at most, an hour.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I might think they're mad, but I can see people disliking Wind Waker's overworld. What I cant see is people feeling that way, and then liking Twilight Princess', which was literally the exact same thing only with interconnected tube design. Huge, barren empty areas completely devoid of anything interesting to see and do. It was a colossal failure of an overworld.

BACK TO THE AWESOME TRAILERS AREN'T THEY AWESOME YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH

wrowa

The Mana Legend said:
By the point you get to that part in the game, you should have more than enough rupees to buy all of the Triforce maps. And then you sail and go get them. It's a process that takes, at most, an hour.
I don't think you can even store enough rupees to buy all Triforce maps...

Mael

wrowa said:
Stupid and wrong. Since the areas below the clouds are much more puzzle-centric than the areas of previous 3D Zeldas they probably put more time in designing the overworld areas (including the hubs below the clouds) than they put into any other 3D Zelda overworld before.

It should be noted that when I say vaccum in space I'm actually referring to WW, PH and ST.
I don't know about this one since I didn't play it.
BUT the way they describe it make it sound that way.
I don't think it's actually arguable that it would be better if the overworld was actually the land below the cloud instead of the sky in the clouds.
We didn't have a Zelda with a decent overworld since Majora's Mask already.

wrowa said:
The comparison to TWW is also flawed, since 1) the sky isn't a "huge vaccum in the sky" (you are travelling much faster than in TWW, there are dozens of spheres) and 2) there are still rather big overworld areas below the clouds. It's not similar to TWW's small islands.
the travelling problem of WW was already solved by PH, so I'm not fearing anything on that front.
I'll wait to see what's really below the cloud before commenting on it. I certainly hope it's no longer little islands of content in a sea of vaccum like in WW, PH and ST.

As for when the bad news kept coming for Other M, I'm certainly not dismissing it and will be getting it day 1.
But when I hear bad news I certainly take it as bad news.

Oh and I never said I found Tp's overworld well done, but it's certainly a huge step up from the disaster of WW. I mean I could at least explore something.

RPGCrazied

Oh man. I want this game now. It's too late for a media blackout now, I've seen to much. I guess water temple confirmed? That dungeon clip kinda looks like it. I just hope its not a bitch this time like the other ones. But I guess their mindset is to always make the water temple more challenging.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
wrowa said:
I don't think you can even store enough rupees to buy all Triforce maps...

Pretty sure you can't.

It was one of the only Zelda games to actually try and make rupee collecting worth it, but that might not have been the best way.

Hopefully crafting in this game is a nice rupee sink.

I think the sectioning off of Hyrule is a fantastic idea. It's a new way to present this very familiar yet still very mysterious land. Instead of just being dropped into Hyrule, it seems to me that the game will treat the Hyrule visits like they're something special. Imagine being in Skyloft for a while, really anticipating the next Hyrule sequence, excited and curious as to what it will be. I think it definitely adds a lot of flavor to the game and could make the lower Hyrule sections feel like more of a treat each time you arrive at the next one.

Or something... like that.

Mik2121

Oh, two things after seeing the 'Romance' trailer.

1. Is it just me or that scene of them both flying on those huge birds looking at each other looked A LOT like that one Avatar scene...?

2. Jeeez Zelda is UGLY.

Otherwise, this game looks GREAT. And that song on the trailer from the nintendo.co.jp site is great. Is it the new main theme?

CrazyDude

Mael said:
It should be noted that when I say vaccum in space I'm actually referring to WW, PH and ST.
I don't know about this one since I didn't play it.
BUT the way they describe it make it sound that way.
I don't think it's actually arguable that it would be better if the overworld was actually the land below the cloud instead of the sky in the clouds.
We didn't have a Zelda with a decent overworld since Majora's Mask already.

the travelling problem of WW was already solved by PH, so I'm not fearing anything on that front.
I'll wait to see what's really below the cloud before commenting on it. I certainly hope it's no longer little islands of content in a sea of vaccum like in WW, PH and ST.

As for when the bad news kept coming for Other M, I'm certainly not dismissing it and will be getting it day 1.
But when I hear bad news I certainly take it as bad news.

Oh and I never said I found Tp's overworld well done, but it's certainly a huge step up from the disaster of WW. I mean I could at least explore something.
Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time had horrible overworlds.

Red

EatChildren said:
I might think they're mad, but I can see people disliking Wind Waker's overworld. What I cant see is people feeling that way, and then liking Twilight Princess', which was literally the exact same thing only with interconnected tube design. Huge, barren empty areas completely devoid of anything interesting to see and do. It was a colossal failure of an overworld.

Twilight Princess had way more substantial secret areas, and was twice the game content-wise than WW was. Plus the overworld had more combat, it wasn't just a huge empty space. There was more variation to the landscape. Worlds apart from WW.

SS looks fantastic. I hope it runs well on Dolphin. I don't want to get halfway through and hit a bug or something. Most games I play on WII first before ripping, but this looks too damn good for that.

JimboJones

EatChildren said:

It wasn't so much the overworked in wind waker but the transportation, the boat sucked, changing wind direction, having a wind baton and sail take up item slots was annoying.
In comparison in TP you just had a horse/wolf/rolling link and moved the controle stick.

WindWaker should have had a steam engine upgrade. Was so happy to see it in Phantom Hour Glass.

Mael

CrazyDude said:
Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time had horrible overworlds.
Are you aware of what can be done on the n64 hardware?
For what was available at the time OoT did a fantastic job and there's a huge amount of stuffs you can do in MM's overworld.
Actually it's one of the most tight packed overworld with secrets on pretty much every corner of the places to be found.
Seriously going from that to the small islands you can't even land on most with barely anything on it is a downgrade to say the least.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
still not feeling it. Possible romance angle with completely mute and awkward Link as well as highschool bully shenanigans are just thematically turning me off.

Combat and dungeons look swish though.

I agree that Groose (how do they come up with these names) most likely has some Ganondorf connection. Maybe Zelda is adopted this game as well. Just don't pull another Twilight Princess ending please.

Top Bottom