• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword new media depot [Latest: Lyre Trailer] [Spoilers may vary]

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
brandonh83 said:
Hottest Zelda we've had yet. It's the bangs. She's so cute I want to force choke her.

TP Zelda was pretty hot.

3117149630_5b1ed8848a.jpg

The right word for this Zelda would be "cute".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Crunched said:
Twilight Princess had way more substantial secret areas, and was twice the game content-wise than WW was. Plus the overworld had more combat, it wasn't just a huge empty space. There was more variation to the landscape. Worlds apart from WW.

I completely disagree. Twilight Princess was ripe with amazing climaxes and dense areas, but almost all of these were towns and dungeons. The rest of the overworld was stretched far too thinly, in my opinion.

JimboJones said:
It wasn't so much the overworked in wind waker but the transportation, the boat sucked, changing wind direction, having a wind baton and sail take up item slots was annoying.
In comparison in TP you just had a horse/wolf/rolling link and moved the controle stick.

Right, and all the travel mechanics have been solved in Skyward Sword.

yeah, i'm weak, no willpower, looks beautiful. especially that two seconds where you see a lot of greenery and a crazy draw-distance.

Mik2121 said:
2. Jeeez Zelda is UGLY.

no way, but tp zelda is still the hottest.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
CrazyDude said:
Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time had horrible overworlds.
Majora's Mask overworld was quite wonderful, detailed and filled with stuff you could do, even depending on the time of day sometimes (ie: certain characters would be out and about, different enemies, etc). It felt "larger" and better than Ocarina of Time's overworld just because of the stuff available to you... At least, that's what I think anyway.

Mael

EatChildren said:
I completely disagree. Twilight Princess was ripe with amazing climaxes and dense areas, but almost all of these were towns and dungeons. The rest of the overworld was stretched far too thinly, in my opinion.
I guess we can agree on this.

EatChildren said:
They've been solved in Phantom Hourglass already so I don't see what they could have done to make it worse anyway.
ST only streamlined it further.
Still it's still a cop out to not have to make a decent secret filled overworld on the scale they should provide.
I mean really it's not something someone who played all Zelda expect when you tell him the next Zelda has an overworld.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There was so many hidden islands and other awesome stuff in WW. Twilight Princess's overworld was big...and barren in comparison. Easier to navigate for the most part, but fairly lifeless.

Red

EatChildren said:

I don't know how you can disagree that TP has more overworld content than WW. I agree that it could have had more for the size of it, but it wasn't simply empty. Out of curiosity, when was the last time you played both games?

WW has like one point of interest per square, but most of them are single rooms. It all felt unfinished to me.

is that music in the combat tutorial new? sounds really good.

another thing you guys, watching that new trailer from the website it is only logical that i have come to the conclusion that this game will have the best animation we've seen yet i mean just look at that girl (fina?) dancing on the water, it's amazingly well done.

edit: can someone who's good at making gifs make one of fina dancing across the water?

PooBone

The Mana Legend said:
Fuck the people that hate Wind Waker's overworld. I don't care how empty it was, I could sail for hours and hours exploring the maps and shit, and never once get bored.

P.S. I loved the Triforce quests too.
Fuck you too.

Mael

Man God said:
There was so many hidden islands and other awesome stuff in WW. Twilight Princess's overworld was big...and barren in comparison. Easier to navigate for the most part, but fairly lifeless.
pfft, there was exactly one island per square of the overworld with a fish to provide the map of the island on each square.
There's a grand total of 3 towns (I'd argue 2.5 myself) with very little to do inside.
the major optional sidequest was the photograph thingy that was an annoyance more than anything.
If Tp's overworld was a barren desert with a hole to get to the cave of Ordeal it would have provided a more compelling overworld already.

CubeHands

Banned
Having just seen the new trailers, the polish is really starting to show in some of those locales. On dolphin, this is going to look like a Wii U game :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mael said:
They've been solved in Phantom Hourglass already so I don't see what they could have done to make it worse anyway.
ST only streamlined it further.
Still it's still a cop out to not have to make a decent secret filled overworld on the scale they should provide.
I mean really it's not something someone who played all Zelda expect when you tell him the next Zelda has an overworld.

I don't really know what to say. I don't equate 'overworld' to 'connected terrain'. I was happy to see them try something new with Wind Waker, to varying degrees of success, and I'm happy to see them trying something fresh with Skyward Sword. I don't need Zelda to have a terrain based overworld.

If you're disappointed because that's where your taste directs, fine, but calling it a 'cop-out' as if it were a promise or expectation is fresh.

Crunched said:
I don't know how you can disagree that TP has more overworld content than WW. I agree that it could have had more for the size of it, but it wasn't simply empty. Out of curiosity, when was the last time you played both games?

I played through Wind Waker a few months ago, and I'm playing through Twilight Princess again right now (see: shots in the Dolphin thread, and other SS thread). Wind Waker's overworld was far from perfect. I don't mean to give the impression that it was rich with content and stuff to do. Just that Twilight Princess was just as bad on every single front.

This game looks incredible - the art style, there are no words.

I, for one, am happy with the WW take on the overworld - traversing the fields in TP were the more tedious parts of that game. I remember the sense of adventure I'd feel in WW when seeing a small island in the distance and watching it get larger and larger as I approached. Haters be damned.

MDX

Mael said:

Damn, why do people want things so normal and cliche?
Its fantasy. Its a game, it has levels.
Who cares about some traditional over-world concept?
The sky is the over-world if you want to see it that way.

As a matter of fact, even our own Earth is mostly not traversable.
Its not like you can walk to Australia from Japan.
We live our own lives in pockets,
and use some form of transportation to go from one pocket to another.

Mael

EatChildren said:
I don't really know what to say. I don't equate 'overworld' to 'connected terrain'. I was happy to see them try something new with Wind Waker, to varying degrees of success, and I'm happy to see them trying something fresh with Skyward Sword. I don't need Zelda to have a terrain based overworld.

If you're disappointed because that's where your taste directs, fine, but calling it a 'cop-out' as if it were a promise or expectation is fresh.

My point is that it's actually not fresh at all, it also depends on how it goes as well.
I mean they basically presented the game as you're on a ground above Hyrule and you fly to get to Hyrule.
the point is that you get a new transportation to get to Hyrule.
I mean Hyrule is the important part, we're meant to explore that place and that's the interesting part of the whole thing.
The rest is fine and all but there's a reason the game takes place in Hyrule and not fairy tale land #9843. If we don't get to see that place just for some BS reason like the flood in WW (which meant that you got teased for a much better game in the last 50min of the game) it's a cop out.

Link's Awakening is a much better game than Spirit Track if only because there's actually a place to explore in that game.

I mean, the way anyone would imagine a Zelda game where you fly to get where you want to go would be more :
you have the giant ass world below ala Zelda 2 or something
you can jump in and out of the overworld to get to another place much quicker.

It doesn't mean you're in Lake Hylia and can't reach Death Mountain on foot because the 2 areas are not connected.

MDX said:
Damn, why do people want things so normal and cliche?
Its fantasy. Its a game, it has levels.
Who cares about some traditional over-world concept?
The sky is the over-world if you want to see it that way.

As a matter of fact, even our own Earth is mostly not traversable.
Its not like you can walk to Australia from Japan.
We live our own lives in pockets,
and use some form of transportation to go from one pocket to another.

Yeah but I can go from Vladivostoc to Johanesbourg on foot.

BurntPork said:
[ IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff126/bign15/tempa-t-next-hype-o.gif[/IMG]

YOU ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED TO HAVE AN OPINION. DON'T BOTHER RESPONDING BECAUSE YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE IGNORED.
Discussion here is awesome, if I don't like shit I'm not allowed to discuss anything!
Must I like Other M too or am I allowed to hate that PoS?

Berordn

wrowa said:
I don't think you can even store enough rupees to buy all Triforce maps...
398 * 8 = 3184/5000

If you spend time actually exploring the overworld, checking the islands out and fishing up treasure, you'll have way more than enough.

JimboJones

EatChildren said:

Cool beans, I wasn't complaining about Skyward Sword I don't know much about it and hope to keep it that way until release, but good to people confident that traveling won't suck.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The_Technomancer said:
So the twist in this game is that Ganondorf is flamboyantly gay?

That's a twist? He had a whole race of women throwing themselves at him and all he did was shun them.

CubeHands said:
Having just seen the new trailers, the polish is really starting to show in some of those locales. On dolphin, this is going to look like a Wii U game :D
Yeah, can't wait to play it in HD. I hope it runs well OOTB with WiiMotion+.

RPGCrazied

WW was fine, except the fetch quest at the end. That was no fun. That and it was already said the game had dungeons cut.

EatChildren

I absolutely do not agree with you in the slightest Mael, and hold nowhere near the specific attachment to Hyrule that you do. To put it bluntly, I'm glad Nintendo don't see eye-to-eye, as recycling and reusing Hyrule over and over is something I'm not interested in Nintendo doing.

But you're entitled to feel however you want to feel, so I'll leave it at that.

Andrex said:
What about the "opening" trailer?

Couldn't find it unfortunately.

Effect

What I'm hoping for in Skyward Sword is that there are a lot of islands in the sky we can land on. More then what screens shots and video of the map we've seen so far would suggest.

wrowa

Mael said:
Are you aware of what can be done on the n64 hardware?
For what was available at the time OoT did a fantastic job and there's a huge amount of stuffs you can do in MM's overworld.
Actually it's one of the most tight packed overworld with secrets on pretty much every corner of the places to be found.
Seriously going from that to the small islands you can't even land on most with barely anything on it is a downgrade to say the least.
Majora's Mask had a pretty nice overworld, but that's mostly due to the rather small size. It's easier to design something interesting but small than to design something that is interesting and huge at the same time.

Ocarina of Time's overworld was a nice achievement for its time, and it's certainly iconic, but I don't think the areas were really interesting at all.

I liked Wind Waker's overworld, but I always wished that it had some bigger "continents" between the small islands. I always thought that the exploration in the game was lacking (even though I liked the boat). However, from all that we know, we know for certain that Skyward Sword has more than just those "small islands". And we also know that the areas are filled with puzzles, which potentially makes them much more interesting to explore than the barren overworld of, say, OoT. I don't see a reason to discredit this, just because the areas aren't interconnected. Strikes me as a silly complain.

Mael

EatChildren said:
I absolutely do not agree with you in the slightest Mael, and hold nowhere near the specific attachment to Hyrule that you do. To put it bluntly, I'm glad Nintendo don't see eye-to-eye, as recycling and reusing Hyrule over and over is something I'm not interested in Nintendo doing.

But you're entitled to feel however you want to feel, so I'll leave it at that.

I don't hold much attachment to Hyrule myself, my fav Zelda are either MM or LA...and you don't see Hyrule there anyway.
BUT in both games you have a rich overworld to explore.
I'm totally fine if the land in the cloud is full of stuffs and has more secrets in it than all other Zelda united.
the way they've made the games before lend me to believe that will not be the case however, I tend to see things by patterns so you can't really blame me on that part.

wrowa said:
Majora's Mask had a pretty nice overworld, but that's mostly due to the rather small size. It's easier to design something interesting but small than to design something that is interesting and huge at the same time.

I'd argue that's more due to 3D of the time limiting the scope of things that anything (I mean compare MM with the GBC zelda for example)

wrowa said:
Ocarina of Time's overworld was a nice achievement for its time, and it's certainly iconic, but I don't think the areas were really interesting at all.

A bit boring when you know how it works but still there's plenty of monsters to slay on any other places than Hyrule field while adult so I give it a pass.

wrowa said:
I liked Wind Waker's overworld, but I always wished that it had some bigger "continents" between the small islands. I always thought that the exploration in the game was lacking (even though I liked the boat). However, from all that we know, we know for certain that Skyward Sword has more than just those "small islands". And we also know that the areas are filled with puzzles, which potentially makes them much more interesting to explore than the barren overworld of, say, OoT. I don't see a reason to discredit this, just because the areas aren't interconnected. Strikes me as a silly complain.
I was reacting more to the "real overworld=land in the sky" which means that the rest is merely areas of interest disconnected. That also means that you can't actually choose the path you want to reach another place which is a bummer (if they're disconnected there's only 1 way : lake->sky->mountain).
Again I'm not writing it off, far from it.
I just see signs that it won't hold my interest as long as XB where the biggass environments are the primary reason why I'm even playing the game. It's really rare to see something like that these days, and that's a direction I wish they would take actually.

EatChildren

I understand.

JonStark said:
Why does the sword trailer has the big HUD wiimote again ? it's an option?

Yes. There are three hud options, including 'Pro', which removes near everything.

Kaldea

Yeah, Zelda is definitely more "cute" than anything, but I like it. I normally don't like "cute" but it really works with her in this art style.

I need this game NOW. :(

stuminus3

Just in time for my FUCKING WII TO BE BROKEN. With my Sonic Mega Collection disk stuck inside, too. :-/

Console hardware just ain't what it used to be.

RPGCrazied

I've never/ever had problems with my Wii. Sometimes the fan doesn't seem like its on, but then again the Wii doesn't get very hot, so.

Top Bottom