• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword Nintendo Power Information of SPOILERS GALORE!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wonder if that big furry bipedal-bird creature in that one trailer Link battles
Was also part of a nightmare?

Maybe Ghirahim's master is Dethl. :0

BY2K

Membero Americo
nib95 said:
Very disappointed with the no day/night cycle but the interactive environments sound bad ass.

The scans doesn't show the whole article, some of it is cut-off, so we don't know yet if it's a Skyloft thing. Remember guys, in Zelda games some areas, like towns, don't have the day/night cycle.

Pleas read.

wrowa

Nintendo-4Life said:
There's no reason not to have both. Besides,
Link has a musical instrument this time around so...

No, I'm sorry, there's no excuse (or reason, for that matter) to exclude the real time transition.. it just makes no sense
Of course there is.
They aren't going to restrict the day/night cycle for the first time, just because they feel like it. There most probably is a gameplay reason due to which they have to prevent that the day changes organically to the night. Assumably it's, similar to what EatChildren said, that the world is going to change rather drastically between night and day now.

However, in any case it means one thing: The night is going to be more important than before. Up until now night time was rather useless in the 3D Zeldas, this time around they have to give the player a reason to change to night.

If there's indeed no fluent change between night and day, I bet that people would find a fluent day/night cycle annoying in this game

RagnarokX

EatChildren said:
Someone needs to source this "Ganon is not in Skyward Sword" thing. People have told me on multiple occasions, but I want to hear it from the horses mouth before I truly believe it.
I don't have a source, but it was from an event where Aonuma demoed the game on nico nico. But really, given what we know about the game, even without Aonuma's word, Ganon would make absolutely no sense. He wouldn't even be born for hundreds of years.

nib95

Banned
RagnarokX said:
Um... to be fair, guys, the day/night transitions usually suck. I mean they're cool and all but they are a pain in the ass when 70% of the content is locked durring the night or that 30% you want disappears before you can get it because the sun came up. TP really really needed a way to let players change time of day.
Just do what many other RPG's do which is to sleep a specic number of hours to bring yourself closer to the required time. Doesn't even have to be individual hours (ala Oblivion) but quarterly like The Witcher 2. Bit of a lazy implementation if you ask me. Breaks away from immersion and the feeling of time and the arduous length of a mission/task.

Diffense

EatChildren said:
Someone needs to source this "Ganon is not in Skyward Sword" thing. People have told me on multiple occasions, but I want to hear it from the horses mouth before I truly believe it.

Mee too.

BTW, the story bits are NOT tooo spoilery but that depends on how sensitive you are.
It basically explains what was happening in footage we've already seen.

The day/night thing doesn't bother me if link can put down a tent anywhere.
If he has to go back home, then it's a real drag.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
wrowa said:
Of course there is.
They aren't going to restrict the day/night cycle for the first time, just because they feel like it. There most probably is a gameplay reason due to which they have to prevent that the day changes organically to the night. Assumably it's, similar to what EatChildren said, that the world is going to change rather drastically between night and day now.

However, in any case it means one thing: The night is going to be more important than before. Up until now night time was rather useless in the 3D Zeldas, this time around they have to give the player a reason to change to night.

If there's indeed no fluent change between night and day, I bet that people would find a fluent day/night cycle annoying in this game
Exactly.

BY2K

Membero Americo
nib95 said:
Just do what many other RPG's do which is to sleep a specic number of hours to bring yourself closer to the required time. Doesn't even have to be individual hours (ala Oblivion) but quarterly like The Witcher 2. Bit of a lazy implementation if you ask me. Breaks away from immersion and the feeling of time and the arduous length of a mission/task.

The scans doesn't show the whole article, some of it is cut-off, so we don't know yet if it's a Skyloft thing. Remember guys, in Zelda games some areas, like towns, don't have the day/night cycle.

Keep ignoring this and I'm punching you through my screen, I swear to God!

ASIS

BY2K said:
There it is, people have found something to complain about. The scans doesn't show the whole article, some of it is cut-off, so we don't know yet if it's a Skyloft thing. Remember guys, in Zelda games some areas, like towns, don't have the day/night cycle.
Reading it again I think it's a skyloft exclusive thing. But really don't tell me you don't think it's kind of dumb to make the entire thing about sleeping. If it's just for skyloft that's fine, if it's just for towns in general that's a non issue. But if the only way to make a transition is manual then all I have to ask is.. why? TP, WW, MM, AND OOT all had different things to do in the night and they all featured brilliant transitions (especially WW, when you go to the forsaken fortress in the day, everything immediately changes to night without ever feeling out of place).

Watch Da Birdie said:
I wonder if that big furry bipedal-bird creature in that one trailer Link battles
Was also part of a nightmare?

Maybe Ghirahim's master is Dethl. :0
That would be pretty neat, The Wind Fish's expy is there too.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo-4Life said:
Reading it again I think it's a skyloft exclusive thing. But really don't tell me you don't think it's kind of dumb to make the entire thing about sleeping. If it's just for skyloft that's fine, if it's just for towns in general that's a non issue. But if the only way to make a transition is manual then all I have to ask is.. why? TP, WW, MM, AND OOT all had different things to do in the night and they all featured brilliant transitions (especially WW, when you go to the forsaken fortress in the day, everything immediately changes to night without ever feeling out of place).

I agree it's dumb, but don't go get the pitchfork and shit until we get the whole article, please.

Azure J

*Walks in knowing full and well that he shouldn't spoil himself after 4+ years of blackout*

*"Hmm, one spoiler for myself can't be so bad"*

*Uncovers first spoiler*

*Spiderman_Neat.jpg, but let's push it for just two more*

*Uncovers the next two spoilers*

RfSJ8.gif

This. Fucking. Game.

nib95

Banned
BY2K said:
Keep ignoring this and I'm punching you through my screen, I swear to God!
Chill out, your rage is bordering on crazie. Anyway, so it could be a Skyloft only thing but also it might not be. Need confirmation.

Also, bout time all Zelda towns had day/night transitions too imo.

BY2K

Membero Americo
nib95 said:
Chill out, your rage is bordering on crazie. Anyway, so it could be a Skyloft only thing but also it might not be. Need confirmation.

Also, bout time all Zelda towns had day/night transitions too imo.

Sorry, I'm just going through my stuff again and again, making sure I have everything and not making mistakes, and then you have that Nintendo websites that is banned in here that copy/paste my post before I finish and that is still full of mistakes and such.

It's kind of pissing me off.

RagnarokX said:
I don't have a source, but it was from an event where Aonuma demoed the game on nico nico. But really, given what we know about the game, even without Aonuma's word, Ganon would make absolutely no sense. He wouldn't even be born for hundreds of years.

yet it makes sense to always have a Link/Zelda every generation of whatever time period

ASIS

BY2K said:
I agree it's dumb, but don't go get the pitchfork and shit until we get the whole article, please.
I think you know what I think about SS pretty well now. There's no way I'd ever grab a pitch fork about little details such as this. But just hearing about the potential of not including is... I don't know.

It's not going to break the game in anyway, I know this, but I was very much looking forward (and am still hoping for) to a sunset in the sky.

Smiles and Cries said:
yet it makes sense to always have a Link/Zelda every generation of whatever time period
Given the context of the game it makes perfect sense.

Every Princess is named Zelda, and every time Hyrule faces a problem a hero is born.

Now, the fact that the princess is always in the same age as the hero is extremely convenient IMO :p.

Chopper

BY2K said:
- The HUD can be customized. Standard, Light and Pro. Standard shows the full controller overlay and button functions, Light only the buttons and Pro is almost completely clean.
That is an extremely mild HUD-related spoiler. And I would just like to say "Yessssssssss". I know we already knew that we could remove that remote, but to see such explicit details puts to rest the only vague concern I had about this game. Get. Hype.

I didn't read this OP. I haven't read this thread. I am posting this not looking at any of the post history below the text box. I've even disabled avatars so I don't get spoiled for the end boss a week before release or something. I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm staying strong on my media blackout for this game, but every time I see a new news thread, I go HNNNNNNNGGGGHHHHHH MUST NOT READ SPOILERS.

I know that it'll make my experience of the final product that much better, but it kind of sucks not being part of the conversation.

wrowa

Nintendo-4Life said:
Not really. For nearly all puposes
night and day were interchangeable. The only difference was that most stores weren't open at night, that one or two were only open at night, and that some enemies would only spawn at night or day in some areas. From a gameplay point of view the differences have been negligible most of the time.

I'm not saying that it was solved badly in the past at all, but thinking that just because it worked for their purposes in the past it also has to work this time around, isn't right.

Pappasman

Earth Temple spoiler

Near the end of the temple is an Indiana Jones moment where Link grabs an item from a treasure chest and then must run from a giant boulder.

RagnarokX

Smiles and Cries said:
Ganon in every game in the official timeline is the same person. Link and Zelda are descendants or, sometimes in the case of Link, some random kid that just happens to have blonde hair and gets chosen by the gods.

ASIS

wrowa said:
Not really. For nearly all puposes
night and day were interchangeable. The only difference was that most stores weren't open at night, that one or two were only open at night, and that some enemies would only spawn at night or day in some areas. From a gameplay point of view the differences have been negligible most of the time.
MM wasn't, and I bet the reason why there is no night/day transition is because of the world under the clouds. The sky couldn't be effected that much. Of course that's IF there's no real time transition

Platy

Smiles and Cries said:
day/night
I'm thinking you are forced to use sleep so you can sometimes dream...

Thank you !

I was guessing i was the only person who got the
nightmare spoiler
with the Day and night.

How can you
dream and have nightmares if you are never getting close to a bed ?

Also, nothing stops then for doing some
small timelapse "night is coming" animation for the people who NEED a day/night animation =P

edit---------

How troll would they be if appears that the
"Master" is actualy .... Vaati
? hehe
...wait

Poyunch

Ghirahim is a time traveler. He travels from The Legend of Zelda/Zelda II to resurrect Ganon. :O

That would be silly.

PounchEnvy said:
Ghirahim is a time traveler. He travels from The Legend of Zelda/Zelda II to resurrect Ganon. :O

That would be silly.
I think this could actually work in the proper context.

The Hermit

I've spoiled key events of Xenoblade for me,and I really regret ,so this won't happen again... and I usually don't care about spoilers.

Platy

PounchEnvy said:

That would be silly.

If they do it in some
stylized 8 bit style artwork for the zelda 2 parts would be awesome
xD

Also .... who wants that they do a last minute change and add some
van gogh's style for the dream sequences to fit with the impressionist painting style of the rest of the game?doctorwhovangogh.gif

RagnarokX

Platy said:
Thank you !

I was guessing i was the only person who got the
nightmare spoiler
with the Day and night.

How can you
dream and have nightmares if you are never getting close to a bed ?

Also, nothing stops then for doing some
small timelapse "night is coming" animation for the people who NEED a day/night animation =P

edit---------

How troll would they be if appears that the
"Master" is actualy .... Vaati
? hehe
How? In a cutscene, of course.

Big One said:
If you mean increasing enemy health then no thanks.
I mean enemies that actually dish out more than a quarter heart damage at a time, and don't constantly drop 3 heart refills when you kill them. No one (sane) wants the enemies to be damage sponges, but conversely Link shouldn't be a damage sponge either. There's not really a lot of tension when you have to almost have to make an effort to die, not to mention it kills any sense of reward in finding pieces of the heart when you're already embarrassingly overpowered.

Not that Nnitendo should really need difficulty levels to address those issues. They just need to make the game balanced. You know, like they used to before the series got piss easy? However, in lieu of having faith in the "casual" audience to show a shred of patience with a game that doesn't coddle them, I would accept difficulty levels as a viable alternative.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Added a few more stuff. Edited some to be more accurate.

Credits goes to Zelda Dungeon and Zelda Informer, btw.

BY2K said:
Link's sword is referred to has the Goddess Sword and appears to be its official name. It is no longer called the Skyward Sword. Link gains the Goddess Sword before getting his green tunic.
Uh, how do we know...
The Skyward Sword has been renamed and isn't simply another sword you get later on?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
No more day/night "real time"... FUCK YEAH!

That means that we won't have to wait for night or day, that there are only two times in the game, so it's either day or night and we will not have to wait a specific time, which is awesome!

BY2K

Membero Americo
shadyspace said:
Uh, how do we know...
The Skyward Sword has been renamed and isn't simply another sword you get later on?

The article seems to imply that
the Goddess Sword IS the Skyward Sword, but it's been renamed.

shadyspace said:
Uh, how do we know...
Maybe that's just the game's subtitle since there's that whole
pointing your sword/Wiimote up to the sky gimmick
?

... Which I completely forgot the purpose of, but I'm sure it's important.

ASIS

BY2K said:
then maybe the master sword is the skyward sword. People just renamed it because they don't know it's true name? Or it could go like goddess>skyward>master

Hiltz

BY2K said:

Maybe the sword receives a name change after it has been upgraded or something.

Top Bottom