• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FinalFantasy7Rebirth: 'that moment' will have a big surprise in store, says Square-Enix

Draugoth

Gold Member
square-enix-afirma-que-tera-uma-grande-surpresa-para-aquele-momento-de-final-fantasy-vii-098543.png

After giving us a moment of lightness with the new gameplay video focused on Chocobo and vehicle clashes, Square-Enix, director Naoki Hamaguchi returned to talk to about one of the most delicate and crucial moments of Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth (attention: spoiles below).

As reported by ShinraArch on Twitter, Hamaguchi was asked about:
"that" moment starring Aerith, which shocked many players in the original. We are talking about the moment in which Aerith is killed at the hands of Sephiroth, an event that has forever marked the memories of those who played the original Final Fantasy 7.

Well, the director stated that fans of the JRPG can expect a "big surprise" for that moment "that everyone knows about" and which is fundamental to the development of the game's plot,but no further details were shared in this regard.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
My guess is that just as Sephiroth is about to descend, we’ll hear the revving of engines as Roche blasts onto the scenes. He’ll say “GUESS I WAS LATE TO THIS PARTY MOTHERFUCKERS” as he deflects Sephiroth with a flying 720 degree motorcycle suplex. Then Roche and Cloud will start making out and having gay sex with each other.

GrayDock

You know who will back stab you know who 2, but 2 won't die, being in a coma with her soul within the lifestream being rescued by you know who 3 on the 3rd game.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Prediction
She doesn't die in the second game, but she will in the third game.

Lethal01

How many people going get triggered that this game is gonna follow the original story line?

I don't have any specfic hopes, but if they don't do something meaningful after setting up all these "new mysteries" and "twists" then yeah I will be super disappointed and I think that would be fair. "the twist is there is no twist" would be lame as hell.

Again, I don't really care if Aerith lives or dies, just a twist that impactful occurs.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Never played a final fantasy game and started with the remake, can’t wait for part 2.

wayward pines GIF

• Fire
Reactions: K2D

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't have any specfic hopes, but if they don't do something meaningful after setting up all these "new mysteries" and "twists" then yeah I will be super disappointed and I think that would be fair. "the twist is there is no twist" would be lame as hell.

Again, I don't really care if Aerith lives or dies, just a twist that impactful occurs.
I personally dont mind they go their own way with the story, some people got pissy when Remake didn't follow the original story but I personally really like that.

In my post you quoted I meant to say "if people going get triggered if it doesn't follow the original story".

Danjin44

Why spoil something so pivotal to the story? Now we’re expecting something different because of this. I get that the story has already changed but I would rather not know where the changes are.
My suggestion just avoid any news for this game, we are getting close to release date and at this point you either sold on the game or didn't.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Predicting:

Aerith doesn’t die, Cloud gets killed, Zack becomes the protagonist of FFVII-3. I mean why would Zack still be alive, he plays almost the same as Cloud, and isn’t he giving main character vibes too?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Predicting:

Aerith doesn’t die, Cloud gets killed, Zack becomes the protagonist of FFVII-3. I mean why would Zack still be alive, he plays almost the same as Cloud, and isn’t he giving main character vibes too?
Why is this a spoiler ? lol.

I predict you’re almost right. Except when they go to save cloud in the life stream to bring him back as a full down retard with screeching in a wheel chair, it’ll be Zack to save him so he can clap Sephiroth cheeks in part 3.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nobody is spoiling the upcoming game. They're talking about something that happened in a game that was released in 1997. It's hard to call it a spoiler at this point.
The director saying that this moment of the story has a "big surprise" is an indication it goes substantially off that script and that is a spoiler. How can it be a surprise now if you're sitting there like "okay now what is the big surprise" for that moment?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
My suggestion just avoid any news for this game, we are getting close to release date and at this point you either sold on the game or didn't.
Well yeah that is exactly why people are requesting information not be put in thread titles.

Gp1

Last surprise in FFVII transformed the game in KH 4.5

Can you please not surprise me anymore Square???

Last edited:

John Bilbo

The remake that was not a remake, but a sequel. The rebirth that will not be a rebirth, but...?

I think they will do some deep level meta stuff which will get stale fast.

I just don't like being mislead.

Reactions: Gp1

Soodanim

Gold Member
I personally dont mind they go their own way with the story, some people got pissy when Remake didn't follow the original story but I personally really like that.

In my post you quoted I meant to say "if people going get triggered if it doesn't follow the original story".
I haven't even played it but I like the concept. Seems like a big standard remake but then it goes off in a direction of playing with the concept of remaking itself, incorporating that into the story. Gives them a chance to do something actually new while revisiting a classic that didn't actually need changing. It both preserves the original and allows people to experience that world in modern design.

That's what I got from the little bits I've seen here and there, at least. Maybe I'm wrong.

Danjin44

The remake that was not a remake, but a sequel. The rebirth that will not be a rebirth, but...?

I think they will do some deep level meta stuff which will get stale fast.

I just don't like being mislead.
But think about it, most Remake like RE4 and Dead Space didnt put "Remake" on the title and yet FFVIIR actively did and if you know how SE (Nomura) like name his games like KH 358/2 days, you can guess there was more to this.

Reactions: TGO

Duchess

It wouldn't surprise me if they completely change that moment. The developers already said they didn't simply want to make the same game again, with flashier graphics.

Would be an utter shame, though, as it was such an important moment in gaming.

Top Bottom