• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I just recently finished Twilight Princess for the first time ever and I am honestly surprised that the clock on my latest save file is around 44 hours.

So... 35 hours, eh? I wish it's longer than that! Hahaha.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It seems a little short, doesn't it?
hamchan said:
I sure hope Jeff Gerstmann reviews this because that will probably be the only review I trust.
Woah, I thought most people acknowledged GB is about the entertainment, not any real critical value. If true, boy have you missed out on great games they/he bashed.

Salsa

its like you guys cant remember that there were some parts of TP that definetly dragged. 35 hours for just completing the storyline sounds fucking amazing (and highly exaggerated).

Kard8p3

Alextended said:

It'll be different for everyone. For instance I beat TP with 25 hours on the clock while others had up to 40 hours. I'm not really sure how 35 hours is short though.

SalsaShark said:
its like you guys cant remember that there were some parts of TP that definetly dragged. 35 hours for just completing the storyline sounds fucking amazing (and highly exaggerated).

Compared to Miyamoto saying it would take anywhere from 50-100 hours I'd say 35 is much more realistic.

hamchan said:
I sure hope Jeff Gerstmann reviews this because that will probably be the only review I trust.
I actually think 8.8 is a fair score for TP, but his reasoning was dumb. Like, who gives a shit if you can read a sign in a Zelda game by looking at the texture in first person vs. a simple button prompt? Seriously.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
As expected.

Best Zelda Game Ever!

I'm calling it now:
SS will beat Batman, Uncharted and any other game this year in metacritic scores.

edeo

Regarding waiting for a Gerstmann review:

I saw his top ten games on the Decide-O-Tron App and his taste is amazingly different than mine.

He gave Catherine a 2/5, and I loved that game despite all it's problems. He just doesn't seem to have any interest in Japanese games.

I trust him as a games media guy, but I'd never base a purchase off his opinion alone.

I'm looking forward to Gamespot's review. The whole 8.8 thing is what got me into posting on video game forums, which is kinda weird.

Alextended said:
What? It seems long. TP took me about the same time (with proper exploring and side quests) and even that had filler content in the main game. When I hear numbers like this for an adventure game I worry about the pacing. We'll see.

Kard8p3

Sn4ke_911 said:
As expected.

Best Zelda Game Ever!

I'm calling it now:
SS will beat Batman, Uncharted and any other game this year in metacritic scores.

Despite that though it'll win almost no game of the year awards just like it's cousin Mario last year.

Thoraxes

Because KyoAni can sum up my feelings infinitely better than I can in text alone, This is how I feel about this news:

sSNd3.gif

Aspiring

I was talking with the wife the other day an she knows I love Zelda. She came home with a preorder for me.I didnt even know we had a Wii. I forgot because we never use it. But man is this gonna change. This and Uncharted 3 = sex.

Sn4ke_911

Aspiring said:
I was talking with the wife the other day an she knows I love Zelda. She came home with a preorder for me.I didnt even know we had a Wii. I forgot because we never use it. But man is this gonna change. This and Uncharted 3 = sex.

while playing those games? damn. It can't get better than this.

hamchan

Alextended said:
Woah, I thought most people acknowledged GB is about the entertainment, not any real critical value. If true, boy have you missed out on great games they/he bashed.

Nope, I trust his opinion more than 99% of other gaming journalists. Also before GB he worked at Gamespot when that site was at his peak so he has a shitload of experience as a games critic. Also I find his opinions on Zelda specifically are in tune with mine. Other games not so much but with Zelda I completely trust him.

Sn4ke_911

Btw. i think thread title needs more "Zelda" in it. Not everyone knows Skyward Sword is the new Zelda game.

Sad but true.

Salsa

Sn4ke_911 said:
Btw. i think thread title needs more "Zelda" in it. Not everyone knows Skyward Sword is the new Zelda game.

Sad but true.

what? fuck i thought we were talking about that Spyro Skyrimlanders game

An official magazine giving an exclusive Nintendo game 98%? Shocker!

I mean, it probably is that good, but you know, if there's one review that should be taken with a truckload of salt it's reviews that come out a month early in an official mag.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
hamchan said:
Nope, I trust his opinion more than 99% of other gaming journalists.
Yes, I got that, that's why I said what I said. Your loss really. Nothing more to add.

Gomu Gomu

Sn4ke_911 said:
As expected.

Best Zelda Game Ever!

I'm calling it now:
I highly doubt it. I don't know why, I haven't played any of these games. But from the look of things, and based on the hype-o meter, Uncharted 3 is going to rock the gaming world once again.

Rehynn

Laughing Banana said:
So... 35 hours, eh? I wish it's longer than that! Hahaha.

Yeah, me too, but I'm gonna go for 100%, so ~70 hours sounds a lot better.

I just finished Majora's Mask last week, and it took 61 hours, which felt perfect.

masterkajo

Kyzer said:
Didnt Nintendo say TP was 70 hours before it came out? :lol
Was about right for me. I think it took me 74 hours. Almost did everything though (missed some fish and bugs and 1 or 2 heart pieces).

hamchan

Alextended said:
Yes, I got that, that's why I said what I said. Your loss really. Nothing more to add.

Yes, and I said what I said later as a reply to what you said but sure, whatever, let's just leave it man.

Also I did say that I didn't trust his opinions for ALL games.

Sinoox

Banned
Zelda got a high score? Woah dude, totally unexpected!

After seeing all the trailers and stuff I was already sold on this game though.

Isn't the game also suppose to have a second quest or am I thinking of something else. Well I'm getting a Wii off of craigslist this weekend and then going to preorder Skyward Swords collectors edition at gamestop, crap I can't believe it's almost here.

Medalion said:
98 is the new 8.8

Doesn't GameSpot only do incriments of .5 now? I guess an 8.8 from them isn't even possible :(

Can't believe how long ago that 8.8 controversy was. we begin and end the Wii gen with Zelda

Medalion

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
Doesn't GameSpot only do incriments of .5 now? I guess an 8.8 from them isn't even possible :(

Can't believe how long ago that 8.8 controversy was. we begin and end the Wii gen with Zelda
k 8.5 it is then

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
QuantumBro said:
Isn't the game also suppose to have a second quest or am I thinking of something else. Well I'm getting a Wii off of craigslist this weekend and then going to preorder Skyward Swords collectors edition at gamestop, crap I can't believe it's almost here.

NOA twittered that Miyamoto mentioned a 'second quest' for Skyward Sword during the pre-TGS event, but the official translation of the event (by NOA as well, no less) shows Miyamoto said nothing of the sort.

So I'm leaning towards nothing.

Same thing happens with every big game. "meh, I'll wait for the ____ review. Early reviews are always positive/this publication HAS to give it a good score".

And then the game comes out and it's always 9's and 10's across the board. STFU and get hyped people.

neoanarch

Sloane said:
Which Zelda game's main quest took longer than 20 hours to complete? I can't think of one.

I've never beaten a console Zelda 'first run' in under 30+ hours. A zelda game in the teens would be awful imo.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Seriously. TP is one of my favourite Zelda games, but 8.8 is a justifiable score for it, easily.

The scoring system is silly in the first place. Anything that ranges from 7-10 is bound to be flawed.

neoanarch said:
The scoring system is silly in the first place. Anything that ranges from 7-10 is bound to be flawed.
Oh, yeah, I totally agree. But with the pacing issues and horrible fetch quest bits in TP it's easy to understand why someone would consider TP less than OMG UTTERLY AMAZING.

If you use the 1-10 scale properly, 8.8 (or even just 8, since .1 increments are stupid) is a great score. The problem is because people are used to the 7-10 scale an 8 is basically a 5 to them.

So stupid.

Medalion

Banned
Anything less than perfection is insulting to such a core franchise that has such high standards and history of greatness

Top Bottom