• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
ALSO, we're currently running a poll on the Sleeping Dogs Facebook page where we're asking the community to choose the contents of an upcoming premium DLC pack, which we'll then go ahead and create before making it available to purchase. Just to make sure this exercise runs nice and smoothly, we’re giving you two choices – one based in reality, the other belonging more to the realms of fantasy. This way we make the content you'd prefer to own.

You can find the poll on Facebook here and you can find details on the options over the game's official community site here: YOU CHOOSE IT, WE CREATE IT.

Please, get involved.
Hey, remember when we ran a poll asking you to choose the content for an upcoming add-on pack? Well, it's no longer "upcoming" - the Monkey King pack is getting released this week (unless you're an NA PS3 gamer, in which case it's *next* week).

Follow this link for details, screens, pricing and release timings - SPOTLIGHT: THE MONKEY KING PACK

It seems really hard to aim on the controller. Even when I tell it to turn soft lock off it likes to jump to one guy as I'm trying to aim somewhere else. And the aiming isn't nearly as precise as Vanquish or any Halo.

But I've already played through the game with a controller and I prefer it for the melee and driving.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK shortly after purchasing this game, I got banned for a week. Fresh out the ban and I need to tell you guys (and the dude in here who works for the SD team): this game is amazing.

If you don't count the Batman games, I have never played an open world game that "clicked" with me - Morrowind captured my imagination, but the combat was awful, GTA mechanics were always so sloppy, Skyrim never did anything for me - but this. THIS. Love everything about this.

The story is compelling, the characters are interesting, the voice acting is superb.

The controls are spot on, the combat is tight, the driving is a blast, the gunplay is slick and satisfying.

Best open world game to date. More Story DLC please!

I haven't got the time to sit down and play this properly, but the atmosphere in the game is great!! I wish I could set everything to Cantonese.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I see that I can get this for $10 on Steam today. What does "partial controller support" mean?

I see you worked it out, but in general "partial controller support" on Steam means that you can play all of the game with controller, but that you will have to use keyboard/mouse in menus/start-up etc.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
"Partial Controller Support" means it's not fully compliant with Big Picture mode. The whole game within itself is completely compatible with a 360 controller.

Monkeythumbz

Version 2.1 of Sleeping Dogs for Windows PC will go live today (North American time).

Sleeping Dogs – Update 2.1 Release Notes

• Support for future DLC packs
  • Reintroduced fix for VSync ‘stutter’ issue
  • Reverted minor unintended changes to some cut-scenes introduced in update 2.0
Essentially, this update reverts the few issues from update 2.0 and adds support for our forthcoming story mission DLC.

Dice

My post on handbrake recoil which was a more polite version of the one in here got locked without any answer so does that mean it's being looked into or that it was thought of as a troll? I only had one guy make the laughable notion that the brakes perfectly applying themselves to do this are a calibration issue then another dude saying it doesn't happen for him (maybe a console player?)

Monkeythumbz

My post on handbrake recoil which was a more polite version of the one in here got locked without any answer so does that mean it's being looked into or that it was thought of as a troll? I only had one guy make the laughable notion that the brakes perfectly applying themselves to do this are a calibration issue then another dude saying it doesn't happen for him (maybe a console player?)

Ack, that was just an accident - it'd been moved to a locked section of the forum. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I've moved the topic to the relevant section and you can carry on posting in those threads now. Sorry about that!

B-Dex

Gonna replay this as soon as I finish up Tomb Raider. Can't resist the new DLC. Still need to get all the trophies too. (I am aware ps3 has to wait for the dlc :p)

PopInnovation

Neo Member

Just for the record this happens to me on PS3.

That never happens to me, I can make some awesome hand brake turns with Blast, even he 1100NR-A, might want to check your controller see if something is messed up, the recoil in your gif comes from over steering, you keep holding left/right+handbreak too long that happens...

I have the PC version.

Dice

That never happens to me, I can make some awesome hand brake turns with Blast, even he 1100NR-A, might want to check your controller see if something is messed up,
Nothing wrong with the controller and the notion of that is absurd to me. Letting go of B after holding it for .6 seconds does not cause LT to activate for .3 seconds.

the recoil in your gif comes from over steering, you keep holding left/right+handbreak too long that happens...
What do you mean? I have been playing racing games for over 20 years and never had anything remotely close to this issue. If anything, letting go of handbrake after holding it too long while keeping the turning and acceleration full should cause a spinout, not the exact opposite. This also doesn't explain why the normal brakes flash on when I don't push them.

nel e nel

Must be only PC. Here's what I see.

sleepx0o8j.png

Looks like the preamble to the upcoming Year of the Snake DLC.

jon bones

OK nearly done with this game. Hopefully have some free time tonight to get another mission in. Only like 3 or 4 left in the main campaign, then I need to hit the streets for some fast n furious action.

Then I'm gonna dress up like Shang-Chi and do the fight clubs and random other missions.

thank you based SQUARE

Dr Dogg

Had this kicking around my Steam backlog for a while but only recently started it up but damn I got to say this is probably my fav open world game to date. Melee combat is close to stand alone good coupled with good but not serious driving mechanics, a decent and varied soundtrack and a fantastic setting. Just got into the gunplay but has a touch of John Woo flair that puts Stranglehold to shame. 7 hours in and I'm hoping it doesn't stop for a while yet as I've got many a Hong Kong action flick memory to renact.

jon bones

no? i thought that was by far the worst part in the game.

wei - you slept with this girl ONCE and then you bugged her phone? what a fuckin creeper.

just wrapped up the main story last night, WOAH MAN. those last bunch of missions are so awesome, the pacing of this game is spot on.

can't wait til feb 6 when this thread should get more active. need more people to geek out over this game with me.

SlickVic

Finished up the game yesterday and probably cleaned up all the side mission stuff I was interesting in doing (did all the favors, got all the statues, and found all the health shrines). Overall enjoyed it a lot. Came out of it wanting more (looking forward to trying out some of the story-based DLC) and wishing the game was a bit longer (think I clocked in at around 20-22 hours). But at the same time, I did appreciate that the story moved at a fast pace and didn't get too bogged down with too many errand missions and other fluff that stagnates the story in these kind of games.

As far as the ending,
thought it was rather bizarre Jackie gets buried alive, and Wei is completely cool with him walking around town by himself afterwards. Seriously, what the hell did you think was going to happen? Perhaps Jackie was too dazed/out of it at that point to really be paying attention, but for Wei to not connect the dots of gangsters just tried to kill my friend, if I leave him alone they'll probably try to do the same again, just seems pretty laughable.
I did like the game's story overall, but have to admit, that bit just annoyed me

Monkeythumbz

As you are no doubt probably aware, today marks the the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences' 16th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards. These awards recognise the year's best videogames, online entertainment, outstanding individuals and groundbreaking development teams that have propelled the advancement of the entertainment software industry.

We're overjoyed that Sleeping Dogs has been nominated for these supremely prestigious awards in the following two categories:

• Outstanding Achievement in Story
  • Action Game of the Year

We urge you you watch the D.I.C.E. Awards LIVE on Machinima's YouTube Channel, 7:00 PM PST to see how well we do and to see which games pick up these highly coveted awards. Thank you for your time.

Blablurn

As you are no doubt probably aware, today marks the the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences' 16th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards. These awards recognise the year's best videogames, online entertainment, outstanding individuals and groundbreaking development teams that have propelled the advancement of the entertainment software industry.

We're overjoyed that Sleeping Dogs has been nominated for these supremely prestigious awards in the following two categories:

• Outstanding Achievement in Story
  • Action Game of the Year

We urge you you watch the D.I.C.E. Awards LIVE on Machinima's YouTube Channel, 7:00 PM PST to see how well we do and to see which games pick up these highly coveted awards. Thank you for your time.

good luck guys!

Started this game yesterday ..i'm in love

The gTA4 city is more beautifull , but everything elseis done better in sleeping dogs.

Customisation, driving , shooting ,fighting, goodies to collect.

That's some impressive stuff.

This is what i want .. serious story , by deep mecanics and stuff to do ... and more than anything an intresting locale to explore..

Edgeward

Man that Zodiac Tournament is so short! Shorter than I even expected. Sucks you don't get new moves until after collecting everything and not able to use them when playing the DLC the 1st time

jett

D-Member
Got to play this thanks to euro PS+. I've already beat it with all the side quests done, only things left are collectibles and trophy hunting, which I'm not really interesting in doing. Anyway, AWESOME game, probably the best open world/sandbox game of this sort since San Andreas. It really was a steal to get it for free. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it yet.

Amagon

Maybe you guys can help me out here for a sec. I just want to find out the name of that funky music track that used in the Zodiac Tournament. It can be first heard during the intro of Zodiac Tournament and throughout the game. Thanks!

Blue Lou

I also got to play this because of PS+. I completed it earlier. I really enjoyed it, I'd go as far as to say it's better than Grand Theft Auto 4.

Hey guys i completed the game yesterday it was awesome. i'm considering taking some dlcs for this game . nightmare at north point seems like a given , but what are the good dlc for this game ?
When will year of the snake be released for PS3 ? i can't seem to find it on the Eu store.

In short what are the good dlcs for Sleeping dogs ?

Hey guys i completed the game yesterday it was awesome. i'm considering taking some dlcs for this game . nightmare at north point seems like a given , but what are the good dlc for this game ?
When will year of the snake be released for PS3 ? i can't seem to find it on the Eu store.

In short what are the good dlcs for Sleeping dogs ?

Year of the snake isn't ready yet but whenever it is you should see it on the PSN store for that week

for new "story" content

Nightmare
Zodiac Tournament
Year of the Snake (upcoming)

The others are stuff like new costumes, weapons, vehicles, perks (money, cop xp, triad xp) and IIRC some of these packs will have a mission or two related to them like the SWAT Pack for example.

Year of the snake isn't ready yet but whenever it is you should see it on the PSN store for that week

for new "story" content

Nightmare
Zodiac Tournament
Year of the Snake (upcoming)

The others are stuff like new costumes, weapons, vehicles, perks (money, cop xp, triad xp) and IIRC some of these packs will have a mission or two related to them like the SWAT Pack for example.

Funny about year of the snake since i already have the trophy list when i look at them.. so i was expecting them to go down this week but it wasn't there on the store EU.
Got all the shrines and the lockboxes, working to get all cars and things in the shop as well as the random events.
I guess it's nightmare time and zodiac tournament time then...

Funny about year of the snake since i already have the trophy list when i look at them.. so i was expecting them to go down this week but it wasn't there on the store EU.
Got all the shrines and the lockboxes, working to get all cars and things in the shop as well as the random events.
I guess it's nightmare time and zodiac tournament time then...

yea they tend to have that stuff in their patches so they can prepare the release.

IIRC only nightmare has achievements out of the 2 (nightmare, zodiac)

WHy is the triad xp so hard to get ? you have cop xp in buckets but triad xp really hard to get ..i'm beggining to think this was done on purpose.
Especially given how easy the rest of the things are to get ..FACE Xp is easy to get too

WHy is the triad xp so hard to get ? you have cop xp in buckets but triad xp really hard to get ..i'm beggining to think this was done on purpose.
Especially given how easy the rest of the things are to get ..FACE Xp is easy to get too

Its been a common complaint and i'm not sure why they made it so annoying.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Finished it off earlier and got the Platinum, such a good game, really enjoyed it. At first I wasn't sure I was going to like Wei but a few missions in found him to be quite a cool character, it was nice to see the turmoil he was going through having to deal with both sides of his work which is something other notable games completely miss.

The gameplay mechanics while solid have room to improve and I thought it had quite a good cast of characters. The city was a nice size and it didn't take too long to get anywhere in whatever vehicle, it was also nice to have an open world game that easily let you find all the collectables instead of making it a hassle.

I assume the girlfriend stuff wasn't complete or got mostly taken out or something, one date for to unlock the map markers didn't seem to take much effort, and there seemed to be more going on when you hadn't seen anything, like buying Amanda a dress that happens randomly as if you jump straight to the final mission or something.

The only thing I thought the game really lacked was some sort of verticality, until I had done one of the later missions and one of the cases coming back on a boat at night after the rest of the game I didn't realise how great it all looked as a city that I had missed always being ground level and never needing to look up.

One of the more enjoyable experiences in gaming from 2012 that I had, in a year that gave us titles like ME3 and AC3 that ended up just bumming me out as a fan of either series it was nice to play a game that at its core was simply just a great experience.

Hopefully we get a sequel, if we do, I'll happily be there day 1.

Its been a common complaint and i'm not sure why they made it so annoying.

just got the last 10th level of triad xp... i had to redo all the missions with the 15%bonus to get it
While replaying wasn't that bad i wish they could have balanced xp better ... anyway i guess it's time to think about the gold challenges , now .

B-Dex

just got the last 10th level of triad xp... i had to redo all the missions with the 15%bonus to get it
While replaying wasn't that bad i wish they could have balanced xp better ... anyway i guess it's time to think about the gold challenges , now .

The challenges for gold are pretty easy. Hardest one is doing all of the jobs really.

B-Dex

I was replaying missions today to get more triad xp. During the 2nd one where you chase ming through the night market... the game softlocked after the first round of thugs and ming wouldn't run off to continue the chase. I reset to last checkpoint and the game got stuck at a black screen. I could still get to the xmb so I quit the game.

When I loaded the latest save the game had thought I was on a fresh save so EVERYTHING reset. Mission progress, favours, jobs, drug busts etc... but all of my scores were still in the social hub and I still had all of the clothing and about half of the cars. (Could no longer replay any of the missions past the first 2) Had to revert to my manual save from last night. Now I lost all of my progress from today including all of the tran jobs to get cash to buy most of those cars :(.

ANOTHER HARDLOCK: Pretty sure I did my last "job" or w/e getting the loitering guy out of the store. Right after it said it was complete got a complete PS3 hardlock. Gonna have to redo all of the jobs again.... Not a good day for me and this game...... The platinum really doesn't want to be obtained.

Top Bottom