• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Just spent two hours with this. I'm one of the lucky ones who got a key from GMG. Unlocked it with a VPN, because I'm a badass like that.

The game is beautiful. As in - stunning. I was quite shocked when I started it up - I have the HD pack installed, and it just looks magnificent.

And, it's exceptionally fun. I'm actually enjoying the story, which is a bit of a shock. Combat is fluid - reminds me of Arkham Asylum quite a bit. I've only used the guns once - but that was extremely fun.

So far, it strikes me as a mashup of Saint's Row, True Crime, and Mirror's Edge. Might be a real sleeper hit, I think.

You guys are gonna love it.

PowerK

IGN gave it 8.5 / 10
Playing Sleeping Dogs kept me on the edge of my seat, but not for the reasons you might expect. Sure, Sleeping Dogs’ melee combat and gunplay provide plenty of thrills, the driving is extraordinarily fun in all of its arcadey glory, and there’s a whole lot to do in the version of Hong Kong Canadian developer United Front Games created. But at the end of my nearly 20-hour experience, none of that mattered to me as much as the story did. It’s that story, coupled with rock-solid mechanics and a task-heavy world that sets Sleeping Dogs apart from its competition.

Chairhome

I didn't get a GMG key last night and I won't be back home for another 14 hours so I guess I can wait :-/. Really anxious to play, but complaining won't make it come any sooner... hope they offer some kind of compensation at least for being late.

Going to watch the WTF is.. from total biscut even though I'm going to be playing the game shortly :p

He liked it. He mentioned how each part of the game is not best-in-class on its own, but the mix of good voice acting & story makes it an enjoyable experience for full price.

It’s that story, coupled with rock-solid mechanics and a task-heavy world that sets Sleeping Dogs apart from its competition.

People are really praising the story. Damn, that game will be good.

Wow, I was expecting a GMG key in my inbox by the time I woke up. They still haven't said a single word? Unbelievable.

It's really disappointing - GMG has always been on-point with their pre-orders (I've ordered like 8 times from them)... but this is dropping the ball on another level. I didn't think missing the midnight release was the biggest deal but here we are nearly 10 hours later and mum's still the word. Oh, but they can still update their Facebook page with deals in the meantime! -_-

Wow, I was expecting a GMG key in my inbox by the time I woke up. They still haven't said a single word? Unbelievable.

It's really disappointing - GMG has always been on-point with their pre-orders (I've ordered like 8 times from them)... but this is dropping the ball on another level. I didn't think missing the midnight release was the biggest deal but here we are nearly 10 hours later and mum's still the word. Oh, but they can still update their Facebook page with deals in the meantime! -_-

Yeah, I think the silence is bothering me more than anything else.

Spat_triate

This was my first and last time dealing with GMG. I own close to 100 games on steam and I've never experienced bullshit on this magnitude. Here I thought I would be able to get in a couple hours before I had to leave for work. Silly me!

Salaadin

Wake up. No code.

:(

But at this point, isn't square Enix more to blame?

Or is it steam ?

Idk, but I feel a bit bitter.

Im thinking its GMG at this point. They seem to have the keys but are just botching the distribution of them (sending NA customers EU keys or sending keys to people who bought today while leaving preorders hanging).

They need to learn to communicate better. A simple tweet to let us know wtf is going on would be enough.

kingslunk

So my graphics card is rather old, (everything else in my PC is on the recommended settings) I have a GTX 280, should I pick this up on PC and risk some slow downs or just grab it on PS3?

hlhbk

Any word on when the key issues with GMG are going to be resolved? People ask why people only buy from Steam, see this fiasco. It is unacceptable.

Im thinking its GMG at this point. They seem to have the keys but are just botching the distribution of them (sending NA customers EU keys or sending keys to people who bought today while leaving preorders hanging).

They need to learn to communicate better. A simple tweet to let us know wtf is going on would be enough.

But was it gmg or did SE send them the wrong codes? I'd hope they have some pipeline setup for all the distribution system.

And of course folks tha bought something now would get the proper code. Assume they probably wanna check to be sure all the codes are sorted out this time before hitting the release button.

A bit weird that they haven't been upfront with messaging, but I guess each company got their own policies.

Shiryu

Neo Member
Didn't look much into this game, though I liked True Crime: Streets of LA but never finished it.
Considering I'm a sucker for sandbox games/movies with good story and an asian setting, anyone could tell me if this holds up?

Metacritic averages in the 80s, which seems good to me overall.

Now to decide if I'd pick this one up on 360 or PC. My PC might be a bit better graphics wise, but I'm used to buying all my games on 360 and keeping my PC for PC exclusives...
- i7-3610QM with Turbo Boost
- Geforce 650M
- 8GB DDR3

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
How is performance with the PC version? I saw some posts yesterday that indicated it was sub-standard.

Incredibly solid.

My rig:

i7 3.20Ghz
16gb DDR3
2x670 in SLI

Maxed out - except for AA, which is on the second highest. It was still more than playable at max, but I felt like there was a hint of slowdown, and the reduced AA isn't impacting on visual fidelity at all.

Buttery smooth, which is surprising considering the amount of detail in each scene. You walk down the street and old women are tipping laundry water out of balconies, girls are talking on mobile phones, people are selling stuff... it's pretty impressive.

Incredibly solid.

My rig:

i7 3.20Ghz
16gb DDR3
2x670 in SLI

Maxed out - except for AA, which is on the second highest. It was still more than playable at max, but I felt like there was a hint of slowdown, and the reduced AA isn't impacting on visual fidelity at all.

Buttery smooth, which is surprising considering the amount of detail in each scene. You walk down the street and old women are tipping laundry water out of balconies, girls are talking on mobile phones, people are selling stuff... it's pretty impressive.

Nice, thx!

GMG has been better than this in the past..

I have no doubt that I will get a key from them eventually.. but I may just go ahead and buy the game directly on steam and sell the key later..

I ended up doing that with Deus Ex because I just didn't want to wait to play it.

So my graphics card is rather old, (everything else in my PC is on the recommended settings) I have a GTX 280, should I pick this up on PC and risk some slow downs or just grab it on PS3?
Yes. 280 is still not a bad card.
How is performance with the PC version? I saw some posts yesterday that indicated it was sub-standard.
it's great. Just make sure your AA isn't At the highest unless you sli or have the best cards.

Any word on when the key issues with GMG are going to be resolved? People ask why people only buy from Steam, see this fiasco. It is unacceptable.

No words yet. It's not like steam doesn't have launch problems, but yeah if you want a smoother day 1 experience at a higher price. Probably stick with steam.

smr00

Banned
Are we getting a console thread? No offense to people but would like a topic where we discuss the game and not GMG.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
holy shit i just slammed a guys head into a car and it bugged out did that slow mo last guy finish thing and we both went flying into space with the car i fucking love this game

Steam says Pre-load suspended. What does that mean?

Also, I've received DLC packs from GetGamesGo.com for my pre-order (Triad enforcer pack, IIRC). yay.

Are we getting a console thread? No offense to people but would like a topic where we discuss the game and not GMG.

I felt the same way until I joined the master race. I remember being pissed when Rage came out. All I wanted to do was talk about the awesome gun play and everyone was bitching about shitty PC optimization
KuGsj.gif

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Highly recommended (PC Version)! A very entertaining and well produced game out of the gate. Definitely on par with sleeper turn mega-hits of the past (see Batman).

Z_Y

..or specs...or performance. And the master race wonders why some people still prefer the inferior console experience.

Chairhome

I was going to say the same thing about discussing the game, but my internet went out... looks like you guys got it covered, haha.

Just checked the GMG forums and a user there said he called about the keys and they are aware of the problem and working on it and they should be out by this afternoon. Not a great update, but its something.

At least we're not saying dumb stuff in this thread like this comment i saw on the gmg forum "if this was actually Hong Kong, they'd have to commit Hara Kiri to make up for the disgrace".... :-(

Fireblend

Banned
Woah, just watched TotalBiscuit's preview and this game looks absolutely stunning. Might have to add it to my Steam wishlist after all. I'll see if I can finish enough games from my backlog to justify buying this during the winter sale if it gets a discount :lol

legbone

wow, first i learn you can throw fools in a dumpster. now, thanks to that video posted by privateryan, i see that i can put people in the trunk.

shiiiiiiiieeeeeeettttt! 10 oclock can't get here fast enough.

JohngPR

I cant hate on GMG because the discount on the game was so nice but this launch does seem to be handled badly. Hopefully they get their shit sorted soon.

Exactly how I feel. It's really annoying, but it's hard to complain too much when I only paid $33 for it.

:p

Still annoying though. :p

Top Bottom