• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

pikablu

This is a great fucking game so far. I went to Walmart at 12am to purchase it. As a long time fan of the true crime games this still has that feeling from them that I love but everything is done so much better. It definitely is a little more difficult (as in getting used to the combat system) but it's still very fun nonetheless. I'm having a fun time just roaming around looking for these lock boxes as well. I love how their lit up so you can't really miss them if you somehow stumble upon them. But yeah so far this game is win. I really prefer the driving style in this (more arcadey) compared to GTA.

hittman

Banned
This is a great fucking game so far. I went to Walmart at 12am to purchase it. As a long time fan of the true crime games this still has that feeling from them that I love but everything is done so much better. It definitely is a little more difficult (as in getting used to the combat system) but it's still very fun nonetheless. I'm having a fun time just roaming around looking for these lock boxes as well. I love how their lit up so you can't really miss them if you somehow stumble upon them. But yeah so far this game is win. I really prefer the driving style in this (more arcadey) compared to GTA.
is the driving akin to saints row 3?

i enjoyed sr3 driving! i think i am one of few haha

Jimrpg

Stopped really reading after he said Grand Theft Auto clone.

That's not how you review something. Saying "It's supposed to be just like GTA!"

i think every review is going to say its a GTA clone... reviewers are not very original?

one thing i disagree with is the review saying GTAIV looks better than SD.... bull.... anyone agree with this statement?

Also im preinstalling on steam now - how do I get the hi res DLC?

hittman

Banned
i think every review is going to say its a GTA clone... reviewers are not very original?

one thing i disagree with is the review saying GTAIV looks better than SD.... bull.... anyone agree with this statement?

well only console users can make this comparison since the PC version of GTAIV was a horrid port

Smash88

Banned
is the driving akin to saints row 3?

i enjoyed sr3 driving! i think i am one of few haha

Driving is not like Saints Row 3. I would say Driving is somewhat meh. Nothing to complain about, but nothing to be touted for.

Does anyone know what AA technique this game uses? I'm guessing it's MSAA due to the heavy performance impact of enabling it.

SSAA + FXAA.

SSAA is way heavier in terms of GPU usage.

Go to the games Steam Store page, it's there.

--------------

Anyways, combat is hella fun, game looks amazing. Driving is decent, could be better in terms of control. The story and voice acting is fantastic and I can't wait to get deeper into it tomorrow.

Off to bed.

Spazznid

The thing is, I don't mind saying it's GTA-style, or GTA-inspired. Saying GTA clone implies it's supposed to be GTA.

Like how people toss the term 'WoW Clone' around like it was a volleyball.

Style means in the same basic vein as. Clone means ripoff or the same thing.

And I loved the Saints Row 3RD Driving and this game's is 'in the same vein'. It does handle a bit differently, but the E-Brake works almost exactly the same way (just more sensitive to turn with).
If you press a direction, liek Up, or Left or Right, and press 'X' on the xbox controller, you can make your car Check in that direction (Similar to the Air Dash in Wipeout HD). This comes in handy when getting rid of following cars and dodging oncoming traffic. You can also sandwich someone into a wall this way. :D

leca

Pre-load was 5.5GB when I headed off to work this morning.

Had to restart my PC and stopped Steam mid arvo, I'm pretty certain that my attempt to download the HD texture pack (I tried adding it to my cart/steam via the web) was successful! :D

Is trying to download 9.3GB of content, Now to cross my fingers and see if it let's me actually play the game early!

The thing is, I don't mind saying it's GTA-style, or GTA-inspired. Saying GTA clone implies it's supposed to be GTA.

Like how people toss the term 'WoW Clone' around like it was a volleyball.

Style means in the same basic vein as. Clone means ripoff or the same thing.

You're over thinking this. It's getting good scores.

Katoki

Based on the first 12 minutes of TB's video of this game, I am very intrigued. Oh my wallet. It didn't seem all that interested granted they didn't advertise it much everywhere I've been going online. Odd.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pre-loaded. Used VPN to access the HD texture pack so I'd have when I'm ready to play. Downloaded that. Total of ~10GB content downloaded.

Quit Steam, launch again, and now Steam is downloading all 10GB of data all over again. At ~300kb/s no less.

This happened to me several times with TF2 as well, where it refused to actually update and instead downloaded the entire game content again. Fix your fucking shit Valve.

So does this game have some good alternative/classic rock radio stations? Anyone care to list the songs?

No complete soundtrack that I can find yet, but Girls on Film is on the radio!

--

The good: Some genuinely awesome music from Ninja Tune, some cool San Francisco-ish car chase music, an 80s rock station. There's a Kerrang! station with some good British alt-rock, although it varies.

The bad: Some hilarious HK rap and a dance-track made specifically for the game. I also think there's a Wing song on one of the stations.

The ugly: The butt-rock "metal" station

No complete soundtrack that I can find yet, but Girls on Film is on the radio!

--

The good: Some genuinely awesome music from Ninja Tune, some cool San Francisco-ish car chase music, an 80s rock station. There's a Kerrang! station with some good British alt-rock, although it varies.

The bad: Some hilarious HK rap and a dance-track made specifically for the game. I also think there's a Wing song on one of the stations.

The ugly: The butt-rock "metal" station

80s station!?

(^_________________^)

Jimrpg

Pre-loaded. Used VPN to access the HD texture pack so I'd have when I'm ready to play. Downloaded that. Total of ~10GB content downloaded.

Quit Steam, launch again, and now Steam is downloading all 10GB of data all over again. At ~300kb/s no less.

This happened to me several times with TF2 as well, where it refused to actually update and instead downloaded the entire game content again. Fix your fucking shit Valve.

that sucks dude...

what do you mean by "used VPN to access the HD DLC pack"?

and another question - do aussies have to wait till 17th aug to play?? US are already playing off steam aren't they?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
that sucks dude...

what do you mean by "used VPN to access the HD DLC pack"?

I used a VPN (which Valve says not to) to access to the US Steam store, and thus the US Sleeping Dogs DLC page. Accessed the HD Texture Pack and began the download. I didn't really want to have to wait for 4GB of downloaded content once the game became available here, figured I'd get it all now.

Alas Steam, being the piece of shit it can be, has decided the ~10GB of content I can clearly see sitting on my HDD doesn't actually exist and wants to download it all again.

Shawsie64

Banned
I used a VPN (which Valve says not to) to access to the US Steam store, and thus the US Sleeping Dogs DLC page. Accessed the HD Texture Pack and began the download. I didn't really want to have to wait for 4GB of downloaded content once the game became available here, figured I'd get it all now.

Alas Steam, being the piece of shit it can be, has decided the ~10GB of content I can clearly see sitting on my HDD doesn't actually exist and wants to download it all again.

Yeah I used a VPN to activate my game, bought off GMG and Aus doesn't get for a few days.. Can you download the HD texture after you've disconnected from the VPN?

Salsa

you wouldn't VPN a car

lesson learnt

EatChildren

Yeah I used a VPN to activate my game, bought off GMG and Aus doesn't get for a few days.. Can you download the HD texture after you've disconnected from the VPN?

That's what I did. Activate VPN, start texture pack download, deactivated VPN, and downloaded it anyway. But now I have to download fucking everything again, so it's not worth it.

you wouldn't VPN a car

lesson learnt

Yeah. Yeah :(.

Just got done spending about 3 hours with this game. So much fun. Really really enjoy it. Story is actually really good to, voice acting is pretty legit. All around really fun/good game. super addictive, would still be on if it wasn't 4am time for sleepy.

Shawsie64

Banned
That's what I did. Activate VPN, start texture pack download, deactivated VPN, and downloaded it anyway. But now I have to download fucking everything again, so it's not worth it.

Just tried it, downloading only the HD pack for me.. recognizes my root game data.

Jaroof

Glad to see the positive impressions. :)

Can't wait til this game arrives today..
It sucks that I'll have to wait until after work to play it, though :(

Cheska

So how the heck do you collect more cars? I tried bringing some new motorcycles into the garage but there was no option to add a vehicle.

Also, just came across Emma Stone's character, woo hoo!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wow, I knew some PC gamers were elitist snobs, but man I had no idea they were this bad. Kind of makes me sad to be a part of the group. Sitting 7' to 8' from a 50" screen is more than an adequate distance for 1080p. Proper distance and a large screen size can go a long way.

Wow i knew gaf didnt know how to take Hyperbole but man i had no idea they were this bad. Kind of makes me sad to be a part of this group.

Chill out dude.
I just felt like being hyperbolic, that being said i wouldnt want to sit 10' away from my screen when PC gaming, but thats just me.

lexi

Banned

So is the verdict just wait till it's 'officially' launched to download the hi res DLC?

Itching to play this game now, fuck you GAF hype!

Shawsie64

Banned
So is the verdict just wait till it's 'officially' launched to download the hi res DLC?

Itching to play this game now, fuck you GAF hype!

Mine is working fine, downloading HD pack now but everyone knows how finicky steam can be sometimes.. YMMV

Apdiddy

So for those who have the different versions, what's the consensus on the best version to get? I would be leaning towards the PS3 version myself (since United Front Games developed ModNation Racers & LittleBigPlanet Karting for PS3), but I want to hear other people's opinions.

anddo0

Never again, GMG, never again. First impressions and all that.

Still no code. Not very good bushiness practice.
I'll give them until about noon EST. At which time I better have my code, or I'll cancel every pre-order I have with them. Saving a few bucks isn't worth this headache.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
maaan this is starting to look more and more great... I want to buy, but the moniez are lacking >_<!

Need some advice.

I hate GTA but I love Shenmue. With that in mind is it more GTA or Shenmue? Or is there another game that's better to describe it. I'm on the verge because of the story.

Fjordson

Need some advice.

I hate GTA but I love Shenmue. With that in mind is it more GTA or Shenmue? Or is there another game that's better to describe it. I'm on the verge because of the story.
I'd wager it falls far further into GTA territory than Shenmue.

Just an educated guess, haven't played it yet, but everything I've seen puts it more in that camp. It's definitely an action game.

leca

Wow, can't say I've ever had this problem before........Steam just ate the install.

Time to re-download it again!

Look familiar?

id3j0yI0t3cwD.png

Fucking loving this game.

Gave me hope. :-/

Well I guess I will finish Dark2 and if I'm board before GW2 hits I will pick this up. How much impact does the High Res texture pack have on performance?

saladine1

Man, I love the combat in this game. So fucking satisfying!

What a welcome change from the 'shoot and blowup everything you see' games...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Still no code. Not very good bushiness practice.
I'll give them until about noon EST. At which time I better have my code, or I'll cancel every pre-order I have with them. Saving a few bucks isn't worth this headache.
I got an email that my pre order went through yesterday....and that it would be available for download at 1:00 UTC?! o_O
I pre ordered on Jun 18. I mean, really? They only had a month and a half to get this shit sorted out.

Still no key...

Salaadin

Assuming GMG sends the codes out today, is there any way i can activate the game at work but tell it to download on my home pc?

Top Bottom