• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Smash88

Banned

The Good
Savage melee combat Alluring atmosphere Fun driving and gunplay Varied missions Numerous collectibles to hunt down and other enjoyable diversions.

The Bad
Unattractive character models and environmental texture

-----------------

Fucking really?

So the game get's an 8 because of graphics/textures?

While Call of Duty gets 9.5?

This is why I cannot take reviews seriously anymore.

EDIT: I skimmed through the review, everything was positive throughout. Except in her "thesis" where she said some/all don't excel in what they do, but she never goes on to explain what the problem is, rather praises everything about the game, even the stuff she said that doesn't excel....

Does anyone know if increasing the world density affects gameplay? if it crowds the streets during chase scenes I can see how that'd be problematic. Or is it cosmetic?

The Good
Savage melee combat Alluring atmosphere Fun driving and gunplay Varied missions Numerous collectibles to hunt down and other enjoyable diversions.

The Bad

-----------------

Fucking really?

The last CoD game GameSpot reviewed scored a whopping .5 points higher, and wasn't even reviewed by the same person. 8 is a good score.

Also, I don't think their "good" and "bad" sections are be-all, end-all summaries of the review. They're highlights and lowlights.

50" at 1080 thats 44.06 PPI jesus, i cant imagine playing PC games on that.
Unless i was sitting a 100 miles away.

Anyway, i havent seen any 1440p+ screens at anywhere near 50".

Wow, I knew some PC gamers were elitist snobs, but man I had no idea they were this bad. Kind of makes me sad to be a part of the group. Sitting 7' to 8' from a 50" screen is more than an adequate distance for 1080p. Proper distance and a large screen size can go a long way.

Toki767

I have an AMD Athlon X6 1055T and a GTX 560 with 12GB of RAM and I can't get over 20 FPS even on 720p resolution...on low settings too. I guess that teaches me for not going with Intel for my CPU.

Smash88

Banned
The last CoD game GameSpot reviewed scored a whopping .5 points higher, and wasn't even reviewed by the same person. 8 is a good score.

Also, I don't think their "good" and "bad" sections are be-all, end-all summaries of the review. They're highlights and lowlights.

Right, but skimming through it, it just doesn't make sense.

I never take reviews to heart anymore, but this just doesn't make sense.

Black Ops got 9.0, MW3 got 8.5. Yet they are exactly the same game every year, more or less. While a new IP comes out with interesting gamplay and mechanics and it get's an 8.0.

We all know 8's in today's "review" market is bad, even though it shouldn't mean as such.

But I understand what you are trying to get at.

I have an AMD Athlon X6 1055T and a GTX 560 with 12GB of RAM and I can't get over 20 FPS even on 720p resolution...on low settings too. I guess that teaches me for not going with Intel for my CPU.

Try updating to the latest NVIDIA beta drivers.

So I'm thinking about a new graphics card for this game (not that much money) and maybe for future releases (AC III)

What about the Geforce GTX 550Ti (1GB or 2GB)?

My System

Win XP
Quadcore AMD Phenom 9550, 2.21GHZ
4 GB RAM

Will I be able to play this game on max (or close to max.) settings?

Cheska

IGN gave the game a 8.5. Seems like the story is the high point, which makes me exceptionally excited :D

Just came back from picking up my copy and the Gamestop I went to was like ghost town. Barely any folks there, but out of the ones that showed up I think most were there for SD.

Right, but skimming through it, it just doesn't make sense.

I never take reviews to heart anymore, but this just doesn't make sense.

Black Ops got 9.0, MW3 got 8.5. Yet they are exactly the same game every year, more or less. While a new IP comes out with interesting gamplay and mechanics and it get's an 8.0.

We all know 8's in today's "review" market is bad, even though it shouldn't mean as such.

But I understand what you are trying to get at.

I really like Sleeping Dogs, but it's not exactly a bastion of originality.

Besides, if 8s are "bad", then surely Gamespot did right by your opinion by giving MW3 an 8.5? Wouldn't that be a "bad review"? Let's not whine about what used to be a True Crime game getting an 8, for reals.

Socreges

Banned
The Good

The Bad

-----------------

Fucking really?

EDIT: I skimmed through the review, everything was positive throughout. Except in her "thesis" where she said some/all don't excel in what they do, but she never goes on to explain what the problem is, rather praises everything about the game, even the stuff she said that doesn't excel....
8.0-8.5: Great
This range refers to great games that are excellent in almost every way and whose few setbacks probably aren't too important.
This is still a high score for Gamespot. Just sounds like the game is not particularly remarkable, so she felt it doesn't warrant a higher score.

Pens suck.

So one of the community managers was streaming on Twitch.tv and giving out tons of free Steam keys. My friend got two free copies of the game on two separate Steam accounts, lucky fuck.

Smash88

Banned
I really like Sleeping Dogs, but it's not exactly a bastion of originality.

Besides, if 8s are "bad", then surely Gamespot did right by your opinion by giving MW3 an 8.5? Wouldn't that be a "bad review"? Let's not whine about what used to be a True Crime game getting an 8, for reals.

Yet something that comes out that is refreshing is also put into that "bad" category as well?

Let's agree to disagree. :D

Cartman86

Banned
Yet something that comes out that is refreshing is also put into that "bad" category as well?

Let's agree to disagree. :D

Naturally anyone would agree to disagree unless they feel you don't actually believe your own opinion. Anyways you're wrong. Complaining about an 8 score from one outlet, reviewer, time, and game is silly.

Hackbert

anyone has tested the game with a dualcore and a 460gtx?? getting nervous about my specs hehe. Saints row III did run smooth on 720p.

hittman

Banned
Not upset, never was as I've said. It's more annoying and nonsensical that the game was rated so low, compared to what was written.

don't trust game reviewers, or take what they say with a grain of salt. tbh i prefer user reviews from you fine folks, and more often than not it comes down to what YOU think of the game.

i mean let's be honest, modern warfare games still getting high ratings? lol please.

the only devs i scream "take my money!" at are bethesda (TES series, fallout series, soon to be dishonored :p)

Squire

Banned
Not upset, never was as I've said. It's more annoying and nonsensical that the game was rated so low, compared to what was written.

And it should be. It should be jarring and frustrating when you read a review that sounds like a 9.5, hit the bottom, and it's an 8.0

How does that help me as a consumer? You're not communicating your position properly if the words don't match the number. And if you don't know how to score, don't; just write. My favorite SD piece so far is Ben Kuchera's and there's no score.

This has been brought up before, but it never seems like its seriously being tackled. The weirdest part? GS has an editorial team to make sure communication is tight and the words match the score.

So, while it'd no big deal to you and me (and It's not, to me at least), excuse this guy and anybody else who asks:

What the fuck are you talking about?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
which drivers? i just tried 304.79 beta (was using 301.42 whql) and i actually lost some fps (minimum only actually, max went up)

301.42 - http://www.abload.de/img/hkship2012-08-1401-419fj3x.png
304.79 - http://www.abload.de/img/hkship2012-08-1403-35c8kl7.png

also found these 305.53, don't know if they're worth trying also

I went from 304.79 -> 305.53. The results you quoted were achieved using the latter.

Edit: In case you missed them, here are my 304.79 results for comparison.

ekim

The ratings seem pretty low to me compared to like GTAIV which I didn't enjoy in terms of progressing through the story. The missions are boring as hell as well as the shooting mechanics are awkward. Well I guess I'll have to play SD by myself to judge this properly.

Spazznid

Stopped really reading after he said Grand Theft Auto clone.

That's not how you review something. Saying "It's supposed to be just like GTA!"

Also he says the same button used to hail a taxi is used to steal it... Right, but did he forget you have to HOLD it to hail it? Fucking rediculous, really.

He goes on to say that some NPCs that spawn in certain spots will spawn on your car if you park there... WOAH! Call Niko and the Saints, we've got a problem! Gamebreaking issues, it's so sad.

::::::::::::::::::

From my 3+ hours, I can say that despite one instance of NPC AI acting weird on me, it's much more polished than I was expecting. So many little details, like how things get wet, or treading through wet road, or hearing someone trying to get out of a car trunk after you put them in there and give them the ride of their life. :D

Screenshots look pretty bad.

Is it with HD textures?

Do people use some kind of blurry AA like FXAA?

Game uses FXAA I believe. there are SSAA options, but they are very costly in performance atm.

Screenshots look pretty bad.

Is it with HD textures?

Do people use some kind of blurry AA like FXAA?

The game applies FXAA unless you use supersampling, I believe.

That's not how you review something. Saying "It's supposed to be just like GTA!"

Also he says the same button used to hail a taxi is used to steal it... Right, but did he forget you have to HOLD it to hail it? Fucking rediculous, really.

To be fair, I've beaten the game and I actually had a similar problem. If you run up to a taxi and start holding the key to get in before coming to a complete stop, I think the game assumes you were running over there to hijack them. It's a minor complaint, but it's definitely a funny issue I noticed. I still accidentally hijack every third taxi or so.

LobLob

Banned
anyone has tested the game with a dualcore and a 460gtx?? getting nervous about my specs hehe. Saints row III did run smooth on 720p.

You will be just fine. I have a dual core and only a GTX285 and i am running between 30 and 40 fps on HIGH with HD textures on.

EDIT: I am running at 1680x1050.

ekim

So does this run on my 540M GT? Saints Row : third runs at ~35 frames with 8AA/4AF - 1366x768 / High Preset DX11.

hittman

Banned

He goes on to say that some NPCs that spawn in certain spots will spawn on your car if you park there... WOAH! Call Niko and the Saints, we've got a problem! Gamebreaking issues, it's so sad.

::::::::::::::::::

From my 3+ hours, I can say that despite one instance of NPC AI acting weird on me, it's much more polished than I was expecting. So many little details, like how things get wet, or treading through wet road, or hearing someone trying to get out of a car trunk after you put them in there and give them the ride of their life. :D

Game uses FXAA I believe. there are SSAA options, but they are very costly in performance atm.
this, i continued reading but stopped caring about his useless opinions. seems he set out to review the game badly. trouble with GTAIV is they took out everything that made the game awesome. give me back my planes now!

RedAssedApe

Banned

slepdogs_review_660.jpg

Soi-Fong

One caveat with this game is that I'm getting some micro-stuttering though this might be AMD related. Very, very slight, but still there. Hopefully, AMD puts out a patch for it.

Top Bottom