• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol can you imagine the meltdown if gamescom comes and goes and it's just like playstation day last year - where SCEE just reiterate games and announcements from E3.

Dre

NinjaFusion said:
Lol can you imagine the meltdown if gamescom comes and goes and it's just like playstation day last year - where SCEE just reiterate games and announcements from E3.
Would be funny to watch, but it's highly unlikely.
It's pretty much confirmed that the Slim is coming September 2nd in Europe, the Gamescom would be the only opportunity to unveil it to the media and mass public.

If I was working at Nintendo, I would have two press releases today:

1. "Get ready for a new hardware announcement from Nintendo later today!"

2. "Dear Sony: SIKE"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
UK stock drying up, some retailers comment (anonymously):

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35356/PS3-stock-dries-up-price-cut-due-September

Retail expects September promotion as supply channels run dry

Rumours and speculation have been rife for many weeks now, but MCV can reveal that Sony is clearing PS3 hardware stock from the channel ahead of what is expected to be a new price point introduced from early September.

A press conference at the Gamescom event in Cologne next Tuesday (August 18th) is expected to provide details of the price cut – and possibly the launch of the rumoured redesigned PS3 Slim.

But ahead of that, UK retail has already begun to comment on the current lack of hardware stock on the market.

“Sourcing PS3 stock has been a challenge for the last two to three weeks,” an anonymous spokesperson for one of the UK’s largest national retailers confided.

“There are obviously lots of rumours flying about as to why that might be. I don’t think it’s to do with demand, though. Sales are low at the moment and have been for a while. We’ve been told not to expect any further hardware deliveries until September.”

A major UK entertainment chain also confirmed to MCV that supplies have dried up and that it had been told not to expect any new stock until the end of the month.

agm2502

I'm hoping for a £199 slim although I doubt it, my out of warranty PS3 broke on Sunday and i'm holding off paying £145 for a refurb until they announce whatever they are going to announce at gamescon.

agm2502 said:
I'm hoping for a £199 slim although I doubt it, my out of warranty PS3 broke on Sunday and i'm holding off paying £145 for a refurb until they announce whatever they are going to announce at gamescon.

If the Slim is launched at £199, I'll be ruddy surprised. I'm expecting £230 to be the cheapest it could be.

KAL2006

Banned
Still no sign of US price drop. Looks like a Europ only pricedrop. Microsoft did a Europe only pricedrop before aswell. Im expecting £250 PS3 Slim. and old models cleared out for only £200.

Carl

I don't think £199 i even a remote possibility to be honest. I agree with you Galvanise; £230 is the cheapest it will be, in my opinion.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
KAL2006 said:
Still no sign of US price drop. Looks like a Europ only pricedrop. Microsoft did a Europe only pricedrop before aswell. Im expecting £250 PS3 Slim. and old models cleared out for only £200.

First hints at constrained 80GB supply came from Canada... and there has been some generous bundling going on more recently in NA afaik. It may just be the difference between the leakiness of euro vs na retail.

LegoDad

gofreak said:
First hints at constrained 80GB supply came from Canada... and there has been some generous bundling going on more recently in NA afaik. It may just be the difference between the leakiness of euro vs na retail.

Hmm, I think I'm going to do some retail hunting today.... (NA)

panda21

spwolf said:
yeah but thats discounted to move the old phats out though :).

And yeah, without "re-launch" general public will not be aware of the new price points...

nope, theyve been that price for ages (like almost a year i would guess)

Insane Metal

Gold Member
cakefoo said:
2lvztyx.jpg
LOL :lol

FirewalkR

A €199 (yes, Euros not Pounds) Slim would be THE megaton. €299 is most likely, though, or €249 perhaps.

Right now here in Portugal (this was probably reported in the thread) I see a PS3 pack for €399 with 5 games, inFamous, FIFA 09 Platinum, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, Mirror's Edge and WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2008.

panda21 said:
nope, theyve been that price for ages (like almost a year i would guess)

Every Game, Gamestation, Argos, Woolworths (RIP) etc that I have been into for the past year has had them at £299 for just the console, or £299 when Sony decided to bundle, like for Killzone 2. The retail RRP was £299, and I'm expecting for a 100 Euro price drop in Europe, the UK price to be around £230.

Its only been quite recently that they've thrown in two games into the bundles like LittleBigPlanet and Killzone 2, and thats probably to clear stock.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
slim.jpg

What the fuck is that.

Retarded-looking pic aside, gamewave leaks have always turned out to be true, no need to doubt it, the only question is the pic.
if you make fake make a good looking one :lol

Gravijah said:
If in some fucked up universe that newest Slim render was real I would personally walk up to Sony and shoot them in the face.

Yeah, that is the worst designed console these eyes have ever seen. It is obviously fake though.

Ettie

http://kotaku.com/5335673/elite-360-dropping-in-price-rip-pro-model

Looks like we have an execution date for the Xbox 360 Pro model, with this shot from a Meijer catalogue due on August 30 indicating the 360 Elite is in line for a Pro-sized price cut.

You'll remember, of course, that the origins of this rumour - Ars Technica's ever-reliable Microsoft mole - are that the 360 Pro is being phased out, taken off the market entirely, and that the 360 Elite will have its price slashed to that of the Pro to compensate. This will leave only two 360 consoles to choose from: the cheap, hard drive-less Arcade and the 120GB HDD Elite.

'Lo and behold, according to this catalogue, that move looks like it'll take place a couple of weeks from now. So long, 360 Pro model. You lived, you red-ringed, you loved.

We've contacted Microsoft for comment, and will update if we hear back from them. If they don't confirm today there's a good change they'll announce next week during Gamescom.

There's MS pre-emptive strike, methinks. Catalog snapshot at link.

Galvanise_ said:
If the Slim is launched at £199, I'll be ruddy surprised. I'm expecting £230 to be the cheapest it could be.

And cheaper than the psp go which at £250 will be doa. £199 is fantasy land imho, if it is that price ill be selling on my 40g and getting a slim just for the new 12 month warrenty.

supermackem said:
And cheaper than the psp go which at £250 will be doa. £199 is fantasy land imho, if it is that price ill be selling on my 40g and getting a slim just for the new 12 month warrenty.

Most places I have checked for UK PSP Go! prices have them going for £229.99. Tesco has them going for £199, so thats more than likely where I'll get mine. Theres a really good price comparisons for the UK that is strictly for the PSP Go!

http://www.pspgoprices.co.uk/

Most places are doing free delivery too.

Galvanise_ said:
Most places I have checked for UK PSP Go! prices have them going for £229.99. Tesco has them going for £199, so thats more than likely where I'll get mine.

That deal is over my friend as i was about to preorder one this morning.:lol Your right most online do have it £230-240 but brick and mortars will rrp and pushing bundles onto people.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TheExecutive said:
Which brings more validity to at least a major price cut by sony and possibly the introduction of the slim. The real question is how will the elite match up to the PS3Slim and would we suspect that because of this move by MS would the Slim be 299? Whatcha think GAF?
If Slim launches at $300, it will be a complete bargain then from the hardware standpoint, as it should have the same 120GB HDD as Elite, and you'd be essentially getting the BR player for free. That alone makes me doubt it will launch at $300.

onken

Yeah the Elite price drop is pretty telling of a US price drop for PS3.

Lord Error said:
If Slim launches at $300, it will be a complete bargain then from the hardware standpoint, as it should have the same 120GB HDD as Elite, and you'd be essentially getting the BR player for free. That alone makes me doubt it will launch at $300.

Wireless, too.

Doc Evils

onken said:
Yeah the Elite price drop is pretty telling of a US price drop for PS3.

Wireless, too.

Only a fool would go for the Elite when the Slim would be same price. Don't forget a gold account price too.

Loudninja

Why do people still think its going to launch at $400, they are clearing out the stock of 80gb with these crazy bundles to larch the slim at the same price? thats makes no sense.

davygee

Banned
As I've posted before I believe there will be a decent cut in costs.

Looking back at what's happened and been happening in the UK:

March 2007
60Gb released at £415

October 2007
40Gb released at £299.99
60Gb with 2 games at £350.00 (Limited for stock)

August 2008
80Gb released to replace 40Gb at £299.99

July/August
40Gb remaining stock reduced to £199.99
60Gb remaining stock reduced to £215.00
80Gb with 2 games and Bluray at £279.99

So what will happen next?

Well we've already seen the RRP drop from £415 to £299 very quickly and for the last 12 months they have been packaging in games and Blurays to make it better value for money. It's reached the time to reduce the cost and introduce the new cheaper to produce Slim model.

Going by the fire sale of remaining 40Gb and 60Gb for £199 and £215 respectively, added onto the reducing of the current 80Gb stock, I reckon we must see a significant price cut soon. I would be shocked to see a £199 price point in the UK, but reckon it needs to be more significant than the rumoured £40 reduction from the RRP to around £259.

A more significant and stronger reduction to £229 would make more of an impact to sales IMHO, and would allow the retailers to get closer and closer to the magical £199 price point.

So maybe they will introduce the new Slim at the £259 price point and reduce the current 80Gb model to around £229.

Remember that the GBP is getting stronger against the Dollar again, so maybe this is why it may be introduced in Europe first and foremost or maybe not.

davygee

Banned
KAL2006 said:
forget PS3 slim

Microsoft hurry up and release 360 Slim (built in wireless and bundles with Natal)

Actually, I'm surprised they haven't done anything like this sooner, although Natal will be the new 360 and they will probably redesign the case and all.

onken

davygee said:

lol remaining 60GB stock, as in the one with b/c? Are you kidding me?

KAL2006

Banned
davygee said:

March 2007
60Gb released at £415

October 2007
40Gb released at £299.99
60Gb with 2 games at £350.00 (Limited for stock)

August 2008
80Gb released to replace 40Gb at £299.99

July/August
40Gb remaining stock reduced to £199.99
60Gb remaining stock reduced to £215.00
80Gb with 2 games and Bluray at £279.99

So what will happen next?

Well we've already seen the RRP drop from £415 to £299 very quickly and for the last 12 months they have been packaging in games and Blurays to make it better value for money. It's reached the time to reduce the cost and introduce the new cheaper to produce Slim model.

Going by the fire sale of remaining 40Gb and 60Gb for £199 and £215 respectively, added onto the reducing of the current 80Gb stock, I reckon we must see a significant price cut soon. I would be shocked to see a £199 price point in the UK, but reckon it needs to be more significant than the rumoured £40 reduction from the RRP to around £259.

A more significant and stronger reduction to £229 would make more of an impact to sales IMHO, and would allow the retailers to get closer and closer to the magical £199 price point.

So maybe they will introduce the new Slim at the £259 price point and reduce the current 80Gb model to around £229.

Remember that the GBP is getting stronger against the Dollar again, so maybe this is why it may be introduced in Europe first and foremost or maybe not.

The original PS3 was expensive because it had BC, extra USBs, sd card slot and etc. Plus Sony didnt expect a huge backlash like that (even in Japan the PS3 got reduced before it even came out).

I believe prices are going to look like this.
PS3 Slim (80GB) - £239.99-£259.99
360 Elite (120GB) - £179.99
360 Arcade (512MB) - £134.99

The 360 Premium will not be procuced anymore

anh_duong

Banned
elite price cut is something ms can easily and most likely do to try and counter the ps3 price cut given that there is very little difference in manufacturing costs between an elite and a pro.

TheExecutive said:
Which brings more validity to at least a major price cut by sony and possibly the introduction of the slim. The real question is how will the elite match up to the PS3Slim and would we suspect that because of this move by MS would the Slim be 299? Whatcha think GAF?

That's what I was thinking as well. If this slim is 299 in NA and Europe, then it will be the same price as the 'regular' 360 with a 120gb hdd, as the arcade model has not proven to be that big of a seller. For the first time Sony can actually use the value chart and look smart about it. BD player, WiFi, free online gaming for the same price as a 360.

Cowie

since every leak has a conspiracy theory around here, shall we pretend the leak of 360 elite price drop is one?

In theory the elite leak came from an ad destined for the week of August 30th - September 5th, which encompasses the theoretical European release date for PS3 Slim.. which means they conveniently overlooked the ps3 slim in the same catalog, it isn't coming out that week in North America, or _________.

Man. Grasping at straws is kind of fun!

lupinko

Cowie said:
since every leak has a conspiracy theory around here, shall we pretend the leak of 360 elite price drop is one?

In theory the elite leak came from an ad destined for the week of August 30th - September 5th, which encompasses the theoretical European release date for PS3 Slim.. which means they conveniently overlooked the ps3 slim in the same catalog, it isn't coming out that week in North America, or _________.

Man. Grasping at straws is kind of fun!

clausavatar.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom