• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michan

abrasion said:
The rational people think the slim and a price drop seem to be quite possible at this point but re-adding backwards compatibility? Hopeful posts from forum kiddies, we'd all like it but it's so, so not going to happen.
I wouldn't be shocked if it is in there, actually. There is a lot of shelf space dedicated to PS2, and it is still receiving new releases (some high-profile).

If Sony can give existing PS2 owners interest in playing their existing games on the newer platform, perhaps they'll shift a few more units. The PS2 has been "stealing" sales from the PS3 ever since the latter released; at almost ten years old, it's time to bury the hatchet.

Anyway, that's a discussion for another day.

abrasion said:
Hello? He said GOD OF WAR 3, ... do I need to repeat here? GOD OF WAR 3.....

Regardless of if you want to believe it or not, God of War is not a household name like Mario. Not saying one is better than the other just stop pretending that it's a popularity contest.

One game won't save a system, regardless of the game.

The PS3 doesn't need saving it needs more awesome games like the ones it already has. Saying that a console needs to be saved is just buying into the sales bullshit of this gen, if you're having fun with these consoles and the games that's what matters, not sales.

Crisis

Banned
Michan said:
I wouldn't be shocked if it is in there, actually. There is a lot of shelf space dedicated to PS2, and it is still receiving new releases (some high-profile).

If Sony can give existing PS2 owners interest in playing their existing games on the newer platform, perhaps they'll shift a few more units. The PS2 has been "stealing" sales from the PS3 ever since the latter released; at almost ten years old, it's time to bury the hatchet.

Anyway, that's a discussion for another day.

I wouldn't be shocked if it came out today via firmware. I don't think it is but everything else has been true so far basically.

Dragon

Banned
permutated said:
Regardless of if you want to believe it or not, God of War is not a household name like Mario. Not saying one is better than the other just stop pretending that it's a popularity contest.

The PS3 doesn't need saving it needs more awesome games like the ones it already has. Saying that a console needs to be saved is just buying into the sales bullshit of this gen, if you're having fun with these consoles and the games that's what matters, not sales.

Well sales matter to a certain extent, otherwise you won't get the games that you want right? If people don't buy games for the PS3 for whatever reason, then what incentive do companies have of making more PS3 games? First party aside of course.

Michan

permutated said:
pokemon_blue.PNG
pokemon_red.PNG

Just sayin'.

Crisis said:
I wouldn't be shocked if it came out today via firmware. I don't think it is but everything else has been true so far basically.
Yeah, exactly.

We need more open-minded people around here.

TheBranca18 said:
Well sales matter to a certain extent, otherwise you won't get the games that you want right? If people don't buy games for the PS3 for whatever reason, then what incentive do companies have of making more PS3 games? First party aside of course.

I don't know man, the PS3 is in third (according to certain sources) but you guys are still getting some of the most original games coming out on all platforms. Uncharted is a great example.

Doesn't seem like sales are really hurting the teams over at Naughty Dog.

theluma

Crisis said:

YES! THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN!

And it sounds like he's getting ready :D

Naughty Dog's Twitter said:
And Kaz Hirai is also here taking a tour of the booth.

ZOMG

Crisis

Banned
Hey guys. I'm not saying that backwards compatibility is coming today. I just said it wouldn't shock me if it did. I don't know if it is or isn't.

EazyB

Banned
I don't give a shit about the slim PS3, I already have a PS3 I'm not dying for shelf space.

But I fucking want BC, badly. But if they make it and it's exclusive to the slim then Sony can go to hell.

HUELEN10

EazyB said:
I don't give a shit about the slim PS3, I already have a PS3 I'm not dying for shelf space.

But I fucking want BC, badly.
Get a PS2, you're not dying for shelf space.

:( I made myself sad. After all, we all want BC...

EazyB said:

But I fucking want BC, badly. But if they make it and it's exclusive to the slim then Sony can go to hell.

If they have some sort of software BC and don't do this for everyone that would be a bad move IMO. The more I think about it, the more I think the reason the store is going to be down is to introduce a PS2 shop. That would be what I would do on the heels of MS releasing their 360 store last week.

Michan

DoctorWho said:
If they have some sort of software BC and don't do this for everyone that would be a bad move IMO. The more I think about it, the more I think the reason the store is going to be down is to introduce a PS2 shop. That would be what I would do on the heels of MS releasing their 360 store last week.
You say it as if a monkey could set it up... in a week.

Canti

Michan said:
pokemon_blue.PNG
pokemon_red.PNG

Just sayin'.
Gameboy didn't really need saving though, did it? Do we have sales figures back that far? I always thought GB was a mega success on Tetris alone.

Any chance this new slim system will have exclusive features (like the BC back in, solid state hdd etc)?

DoctorWho said:

My bet would be the release of the Euro Video Store (finally!!!)

HUELEN10

Michan said:
You say it as if a monkey could set it up... in a week.
Whose to say they haven't been working on it all along and could take what they have done and set it up in a week? Remember OS X on intel back in the day? Companies usually have a secret plan b, and this, for all we know, could be one of those times!

I personally don't think so though, just saying.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
prettyvacant77 said:
My bet would be the release of the Euro Video Store (finally!!!)

That would be great. Let's hope they make it happen. I'd be much more interested in that then slim.

gogogow

Canti said:
Any chance this new slim system will have exclusive features (like the BC back in, solid state hdd etc)?
How is it possible to have a SSD? a 120GB one costs more than $300, unless you want to pay $600 for the slim, then sure, why not. It's the same as putting in a BD in the PS3 back in 2006.

HUELEN10 said:
Whose to say they haven't been working on it all along and could take what they have done and set it up in a week? Remember OS X on intel back in the day? Companies usually have a secret plan b, and this, for all we know, could be one of those times!

I personally don't think so though, just saying.

If Sony wants to be like Apple, they'll have the slim on the shelf by the end of the week.

HUELEN10

DoctorWho said:
If Sony wants to be like Apple, they'll have the slim on the shelf by the end of the week.
If they were like apple, the things would be shipping to stores today, that is if they aren't there already! :D

Canti

gogogow said:
How is it possible to have a SSD? a 120GB one costs more than $300, unless you want to pay $600 for the slim, then sure, why not. It's the same as putting in a BD in the PS3 back in 2006.
So what you're saying is... its not entirely impossible :lol Doesn't have to be as much as 120 gig though and SSD was just an example of pimpin' out the system some more :p No problems with speculation.

deepbrown

theluma said:
YES! THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN!

And it sounds like he's getting ready :D

ZOMG
PS3 Slim is coming out in a firmware!!!? OMG MEGATON!

Everybody downloads it and the PS3 enters a crysalis stage, to then mould itself into the smaller and slimmer PSTHREE.

:O

HUELEN10

Crisis said:
That might can happen. Kmart seems to be implying that it's out soon.
Fuck, you have a point there! I wasn't even thinking of that. If it were to come out by week's end, then I'd be super-impressed.

Crisis said:
That might can happen. Kmart seems to be implying that it's out soon.

Yeah, they give the impression that they will at least be pre-selling it starting today. Like I've said, Sony needs to pull a fucking naked woman out of its hat at this conference. They've been shitting the bed PS3 sales wise.

Michan

Canti said:
Gameboy didn't really need saving though, did it? Do we have sales figures back that far? I always thought GB was a mega success on Tetris alone.
Yeah, Game Boy was a mega success with Tetris and Super Mario Land in the late '80s/early '90s, but by 1996, pretty much everybody was writing the system off as "dead." Pokémon kept it going for another decade (and longer, if you consider DS as the "child" of the Game Boy).

deepbrown said:
PS3 Slim is coming out in a firmware!!!? OMG MEGATON!

Everybody downloads it and the PS3 enters a crysalis stage, to then mould itself into the smaller and slimmer PSTHREE.

:O

That sounds 4D.

panda21

best case scenario:
ps3 slim out soon, lower price
ps2 firmware bc with downloads on psn and dvd compatibility, today
psp go price drop to sensible price
gt 5 out november, week before mw2
mag beta with uncharted 2

worst case scenario:
slim costs about 50% more than fat
no ps2 bc
psp go price increase
no gt5 news
bunch of trailers we already saw

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well I still have a good feeling going into today, and I haven't had this feeling for years going into a Sony Conference.

Still it's hard for my mind to not be thinking countdown to fail. :lol

Reading some of the comments on the Internet, people are expecting (or hoping) for the PS3 Slim at 299 bundles, with the 3.0 firmware to give you Xbox Live features and new game announcements. It's almost like a new console launch.

Meus Renaissance said:
Reading some of the comments on the Internet, people are expecting (or hoping) for the PS3 Slim at 299 bundles, with the 3.0 firmware to give you Xbox Live features and new game announcements. It's almost like a new console launch.

With the fact that they're even redoing how the games are packaged (judging from the EyePet one), I have a feeling they're ready for a really big push, as a sort of rebirth/relaunch of the PS3.

-x.Red.x-

panda21 said:
best case scenario:

worst case scenario:
no ps2 bc
psp go price increase
no gt5 news
MAG beta is out

best case scenario looks okay

Meus Renaissance said:
This is what the essentially need to do today. Relaunch and renaket the console.

panda21 said:
best case scenario:

worst case scenario:
no ps2 bc
psp go price increase
no gt5 news

Mag beta is on right now. by the time U2 is out, it'll be done. but I'm betting GT5 is out this december. and a psp go price increase isnt even possible. :lol

Kulock said:
With the fact that they're even redoing how the games are packaged (judging from the EyePet one), I have a feeling they're ready for a really big push, as a sort of rebirth/relaunch of the PS3.

I hope the PS3 does well but Sony dropped the ball at launch, big time. Do you remember E3 a few years ago when Phil Harrison was demoing F1 2007 with video chat whilst playing the game? They showed a slideshow of an incredible UI. I was excited and purchased a PS3 based on what I saw but was disappointing that the promise never came.

Whatever they do now, it must come with a Bluetooth headset and they must improve PSN's connectivity in user interaction. Hopefully this experience of being 3rd has made them more humble. Let's get some real competition between the two in sales. I want Sony to pressure LIVE's subscription model.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Meus Renaissance said:

The new firmware rumours are BS IMO - as they usually are.

You might get one or two new game announcements out of Gamescom, but not too many I don't think.

Slim's the star of the show, probably the most significant ps3 announcement since launch just on its own. A new boxart format would be cool though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom