• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Small quirks in great games that bug the shit out of you.

Pimpbaa

Long mob roaming in WoW. 3 or 4 (or worse) mobs that have paths that all come close or cross each other. Worse yet, massive elite 1 hit kill mobs that have ninja like skills in their ability to sneak up on you. What was I greeted with the first time I went into the outlands the first time? A big ass fel reaper stepping on my head.

Not being able to skip cutscenes in the first Kingdom Hearts. There was one particular boss I had to try a few times to beat, and the cutscene beforehand was like 5 minutes and couldn't be skipped. Frustrating. Not being able to skip cutscenes in any game is annoying, but it annoyed the the most in KH.

The saving system in Majora's Mask drove me insane, too. I hated having to redo certain things every time.

Also, frustrating minigames that are required to advance the story, or tasks like "all 3 party members have to hit this button at the SAME TIME!" (FF7).

MegaTen said:
wtf?! That was cute and was one of the best parts of the game!

It gets too irritating after the first or second time, and the loading inbetween is just makes it worse. Not only that but the background tends to be different from the actual area where you fed the said animal.

fugimax said:
Triforce hunt in LoZ: Wind Waker.

Thread ovar.

Uh we're talking about "small quirks" here. IMO at least the Triforce hunt ruined Wind Waker for me.

That and the insipid boat, switching between the hook, the sail, the fish food, the wand, the everything...oh and the boat was one sassy bitch. I wanted to turn that thing into firewood and steal a real boat out of GTA or something.

But yeah..."small quirks".

WoW-related.

Being griefed by random level 60s out in the middle of nowhere kind of almost made want to go with a PvE only server.

Also another vote for Majora Mask's saving system. I screwed up the quest to get the best one-handed sword and felt like quitting life.

Ranger X

This applies to many great games...

- Stuff splashing on the screen (like water) when i'm not in first person view behind some visor. This is like the most unimmersive and stupit thing ever made in the history of gaming.

- Overuse of ****ing bloom lighting. Sorry, i don't want all my games set in a dream world or in somewhere where everything is made of some glowing materials. tks.

- Lens flares -- HELLO' I'M NOT A ****ING CAMERA.

- Priorising a god damned useless effect instead of precision of controls and FPS.

djtiesto said:
Context sensitive A button in 3D Zeldas... I've frequently "rolled" when I meant to "pick up"... annoying.

I've rolled off ledges when I've wanted to pick something up.

Luckett_X said:
Certainly of recent note was Zelda TP:

- Rupee Description. Yes, I've resumed a save. Oh good, now it will tell me each and every ****ing time I pick up a different coloured rupee. ARRRRGH.

- Warping. Every single god damn time, having to turn back into a human afterwards. This game was in the can long enough for surely some genius at Nintendo Fun HQ to realise repeating the same god damn menu command just to get back to human Link is not fun. At all!

Glad I'm not the only one irritated by these things in the Zelda series.

Pimpbaa

Twilight Dawn said:
Not being able to skip cutscenes in the first Kingdom Hearts. There was one particular boss I had to try a few times to beat, and the cutscene beforehand was like 5 minutes and couldn't be skipped. Frustrating. Not being able to skip cutscenes in any game is annoying, but it annoyed the the most in KH.

I loath unskippable cutscenes. But an unskippable 5 minute one before a boss? That's unforgiveably bad game design. To all developers who read this forum, if you don't make your cutscenes skippable, you friggin suck!

Given how good most of Final Fantasy V Advance is, it irks me that you can walk through the backs of NPCs as they're milling about. The game also sounds crackly to me, but I haven't gone back to another GBA game to confirm that it's not just my speakers.
Luckett_X said:
Certainly of recent note was Zelda TP:
- Warping. Every single god damn time, having to turn back into a human afterwards. This game was in the can long enough for surely some genius at Nintendo Fun HQ to realise repeating the same god damn menu command just to get back to human Link is not fun. At all!
Heh. I like it. It's like Superman having to hide behind something to change back into Clark Kent.

Unison

Any game (especially RPG) that has load times to get to the menu.

Legal mumbo jumbo screens / developer logos at the start of games.

Tadaima

Zelda:
Having the item description explained every time you get that item.

Damn you, treasure maps.
Damn you, rupees.
Damn you, butterfly pendants.
Damn you, heart pieces.
Etc.

Banjo-Kazooie:
Stop 'N' Swop. :(

Rufus

distantmantra said:
Glad I'm not the only one irritated by these things in the Zelda series.
I can't understand how anyone could not be irritated by these things.

But an unskippable 5 minute one before a boss? That's unforgiveably bad game design.
Hell, yes. This can't be stressed enough.

FF Games: Step forward, hit, step back. And all long winded animations for spells and summons.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Given how good most of Final Fantasy V Advance is, it irks me that you can walk through the backs of NPCs as they're milling about.

I actually like that. This reminds me of another thing I absolutely hated in RPGs, particularly the 16 bit FF's

NPCs that walk right the **** in front of you when you're running somewhere. especially in tight spaces. I can't remember how many times I was trying to go through a one space passageway only to be cock blocked by an idiot NPC who then wouldn't budge.

Oneself

MegaTen said:
wtf?! That was cute and was one of the best parts of the game!

Yes, that was cute, but after 15 times it does get annoying / a bit long. I would have done it in a way that the 1st time you'd see it, it would be unskipable, and then you could just feed them "in game" and completely get pass the cutscene.

In World of Warcraft:

Hunters not being able to tame pets for mounts (or getting free mounts). So let me get this straight, we can convince some random creature in ****sville forest to fight to the death for me, but I can't tame a horse for riding? Give me a break. On the flip side Warlocks and Pallies get free mounts through a quest. Because surely the class most deserving of doing a quest to get some type of mount training or a mount in general isn't the hunter class. Dumbass Blizzard.

Rufus

DeaconKnowledge said:
NPCs that walk right the **** in front of you when you're running somewhere. especially in tight spaces. I can't remember how many times I was trying to go through a one space passageway only to be cock blocked by an idiot NPC who then wouldn't budge.
This reminds me of Onimusha 3. In the sewers, when you're with Michelle, she stays way too close all the time. I was always happy when she got stuck on corners, because the paths weren't even wide enough to walk past her. Not to mention her blocking doors.

MegaTen said:
I'm very open-minded about playing and enjoying as many games as I can, so I'm usually very tolerant in terms of a game's little flaws.. but the first thing that comes to mind is Dead Rising's save system. Oh, and Sonic(next gen) loading.

the topic is about GOOD ganes.

maladroit

When a game doesn't let you change the volume levels of the BGM and voices. I'm playing through .hack//GU and the music is retardedly louder than the voices.

MPH's "small quirks" made it one of the worst games on the DS.

- The R button goes completely unused unless for snipers. Why the **** can't I jump with the R button? Instead I have to ****ing DOUBLE TAP THE ****ING TOUCH SCREEN. Utterly retarded move.

- Alt forms. Worst idea for an FPS, ever.

tiddles

djtiesto said:
Context sensitive A button in 3D Zeldas... I've frequently "rolled" when I meant to "pick up"... annoying.

Ditto for Gears... Rolling when you need to take cover because you're not quite facing the cover point, and taking cover when you roll to avoid incoming fire when there's some unseen cover just off-screen (resulting in you being vulnerable).

Okami - The voices. Speak SOME language, not mumble-bleep-boo-bleep talk!

Any game with weapons - When an enemy has a weapon that you can obtain, yet when they use it it has magical and superior powers that you can't use, unlimited ammo, etc. (IE most mega man games, or shooters where the AI can kick ass with a gun, but when you use it, it now sucks ass, and is weak)

Also, not a specific game, but having to pause to load something short that you frequently do is very annoying and breaks the experience of playing a game.

The only example I can think of off the top of my head is the Hustle-psp pool game... every damn time someone takes a shot:

load
see the player
load
see the player at the table
load
see the balls on the table
load
see the player take a shot
load
see results of shot. Switch player? Doesn't matter load and repeat!

mrkgoo

Twilight princess: As someone mentioned about bug log, I need some kind of indication about poes. It's no fun randomly searching NO place looking for something that might not be there. I prefer the OoT method with the Skulltulas, which gave you icons for that part of the world map if you found all the skulltulas in it (and I think it only gave you them if you had completed the game.

No save point after the game finsihes in TP.

Trying to find poe souls, but having them only appear at night...and having NO way to change the day system. I missed this so much in TP. Therefore both Windwaker and OoT are better than TP.

"Please point your remote at the screen". (applies to any wii game). Maybe I sit too close.

Azwethinkweiz said:
In World of Warcraft:

Hunters not being able to tame pets for mounts (or getting free mounts). So let me get this straight, we can convince some random creature in ****sville forest to fight to the death for me, but I can't tame a horse for riding? Give me a break. On the flip side Warlocks and Pallies get free mounts through a quest. Because surely the class most deserving of doing a quest to get some type of mount training or a mount in general isn't the hunter class. Dumbass Blizzard.
It's more because of a balancing issue due to the high cost of their talents and other stuff I can't recall now.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Dead Rising.

Thank you Capcom for your wonderfull inventory system, save system, party A.I., and Otis.

Otis is THE worst thing about Dead Rising for me. I can deal with the saving, the party A.I., and the inventory doesn't bother me at all. But Otis? Grrr. The best thing about Infinity Mode is being able to beat the living shit out of him.

Prime crotch said:
It's more because of a balancing issue due to the high cost of their talents and other stuff I can't recall now.

I know why they did it but it still makes absolutely no sense in terms of logic.

Azwethinkweiz said:
In World of Warcraft:

Warlocks don't even have to complete a quest. I was (pleasantly) shocked when I hit 40 and could just buy the spell.

ShinNL

pcheal.png

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Soneet said:

First time I played a pokemon game that ****ing bitch made me give up my goal of filling up my pokedex and impressing the prof :(

Also some of the voices in Okami, it's very 50/50 whether they are good or gruesome.

mrmyth

RAAM and Boomers in Gears.

They're damage sponges for no good reason. No matter how tall and bulky I am, if some cat puts a .50 cal high velocity slug through my eye I'm going to die. But Boomers don't even react to it. At least RAAM has a little stun animation. But it really destroys my suspension of disbelief when a headshot doesn't equal a gibbed head.

I love the original Mother for NES but it's unbearably slow. Everything about it... your walking speed, the text speed, the battles drag, just buying an item takes like 30 seconds. I can only enjoy it on an emulator with the speed cranked up.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
HolyStar said:
Zelda the damn beeping sound when your low on health ARGHGHGHGH!!!!!!!!!!!

yeeeees! I've heard the one in the tingle game is worse :(

Gyruss

Not being able to duck or block in nearly every side-scroller beat-em-up, even though the enemies can. NES Double Dragon made me nuts with that.

Ragnarok10

Maximo for PS2, where you could play 98% of a level and die at the end and have to redo the entire thing because there were no checkpoints throughout the level. Made me want to punch something.

Halo 2 -
- Flashlight turning off without any warning.
- Hitting a switch with the 'X' button making you put a new clip of ammo into your gun, when the old clip still had plenty of rounds left.
- Hijacking Banshees only in select areas a.k.a **** you Metropolis and Delta Halo.

SSBM -
-The highest level NPC enemies don't know how to jump unless they've fallen off the edge. They'll walk straight into planted mines.
- According to the intruction booklet, Ness' shield is supposed to have an attract/magnetic affect ontop of being able to absorb energy blasts. Doesn't seem the case!

Sonic 3 -
Carnival Night Zone Act 2 - You all know which bit I mean.

Huggy

In Metroid Prime, if you walked into some steam you would get condense on your screen. However, the condense effect doesn't move with the HUD visor, but with the actual camera, making it appear as if the condense is stuck on Samus' retina. It annoyed the crap out of me.

What annoyed me even more is that headcrab zombies in Halflife 2 still have white labcoats on. Yes Valve, I know they're returning enemies and are "classic", but at least update them with the new setting of the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Huggy said:
In Metroid Prime, if you walked into some steam you would get condense on your screen. However, the condense effect doesn't move with the HUD visor, but with the actual camera, making it appear as if the condense is stuck on Samus' retina. It annoyed the crap out of me.
Heh, never noticed that simply because I always disabled the HUD (I preferred having a full screen of action)...

OKAMI! That little heifer bug just won't shut the "f" uppppp! Yak yak yak yak.

Man, i just want to play the game not listening to you to annoy the crap out of me!

cvxfreak

I hate how the files in RE1, RE2, RE0 and RECV are sorted in this weird book format. RE3 had the best format, which is just every file laid out for you to read.

And also, rewatching cut scenes over and over and over again just to get to any fight! It won't let you skip period.

I wonder if the developers did this on purpose to make gamers squrim?

I'm glad, on an only barely relevant note, that I'm not the only one who doesn't like far-away save points. What if I want to play Metroid Prime but only have 15 minutes? I like having total control over when I can turn off the game. Maybe that's not a small quirk though.

Top Bottom